Author Topic: Lost Scouse Lingo  (Read 298848 times)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Re: Lost Scouse Lingo
« Reply #1040 on: September 24, 2018, 12:41:52 pm »
St Edwards College please, you ruffian...

There's a few of us on here who went there, my good friend Lord Snooty for one, and Macca888 etc... and I don't recall ever being terrorised by you lot.

But seriously, many of us had little choice, if you were raised a Catholic, that was the only senior school around other than those who lived the North end who went to St Mary's in Crosby, certainly if you had ambition to go to University. At least 80% of my year of around 100 kids lived on council estates around the area, including myself, though that was back in the 60's-early 70's when it was a Grammar and entrance was primarily by 11 plus though there were some kids who were fee paying from the then posher areas like Childwall & Allerton. These days it's all fee paying, though I expect there's some scholarships for free for local kids around there.

Things must have been different in the early - mid 80's. I had moved to Hartesbourne Avenue in 1986 and either got the 60 or the 81 to then get the 79. This meant I waited at the bus stop by Sandfield Park and I do recall a bit of verbal getting dished out and clearly remember a few lads getting battered on the Walkers playing fields one time.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1041 on: September 30, 2018, 08:47:04 pm »
Queg was referred to being a queer/puff from my understanding as a youngster.
Not pc at all these days & sorta like the seater/takey ice lolly ice debates in how being a mile or so away & how different words were construed.
Hope that comes across the right way as im fissed as a part right now.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1042 on: October 3, 2018, 08:07:15 am »
Queg was referred to being a queer/puff from my understanding as a youngster.
Not pc at all these days & sorta like the seater/takey ice lolly ice debates in how being a mile or so away & how different words were construed.
Hope that comes across the right way as im fissed as a part right now.
It was you queg.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1043 on: October 3, 2018, 05:22:02 pm »

There's a few of us on here who went there, my good friend Lord Snooty for one, and Macca888 etc... and I don't recall ever being terrorised by you lot.

But seriously, many of us had little choice, if you were raised a Catholic, that was the only senior school around other than those who lived the North end who went to St Mary's in Crosby, certainly if you had ambition to go to University. At least 80% of my year of around 100 kids lived on council estates around the area, including myself, though that was back in the 60's-early 70's when it was a Grammar and entrance was primarily by 11 plus though there were some kids who were fee paying from the then posher areas like Childwall & Allerton. These days it's all fee paying, though I expect there's some scholarships for free for local kids around there.

I too went to St Eddies but it was my second choice as they played Rugby. My first choice was SFX as they played football. I hatched a cunning plan as I thought I wouldn't get enough marks for 1st so put Eddies as 1st, SFX as 2nd. 1963 must have been a poor year as I got St Eddies.

And didn't even get to play rugger as I was dragooned into the cross country squad. A hateful "sport".

As to being terrorised it certainly wasn't the case in the 1960s. Our class had a mix of lads from Norris Green, Croxteth, Dingle, Speke and Bootle and I don't recall any problems with the Bash Street kids.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: October 12, 2018, 08:55:48 pm »
Bizzum.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1045 on: November 29, 2018, 02:00:19 pm »
I don`t know if it was limited to this area but every school had a "joey" in the 80's (I bet some of you just did the face and hand thing in your mind.....). Considered not to be PC anymore apparently when I called my wife one and did the appropriate actions
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: November 30, 2018, 03:00:42 pm »
Acting the goat.

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1047 on: November 30, 2018, 03:12:37 pm »
Acting the goat.
Me mate got fined £50 for having sex with an animal. Me other mate got fined £75 for acting the goat.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1048 on: November 30, 2018, 04:18:01 pm »
Me mate got fined £50 for having sex with an animal. Me other mate got fined £75 for acting the goat.

He wasn't Muffin the Mule?

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1049 on: November 30, 2018, 04:18:55 pm »

How is Effes these days?

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1050 on: November 30, 2018, 04:23:37 pm »
How is Effes these days?
Still a big kid.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #1051 on: November 30, 2018, 10:25:47 pm »
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline burriana

• Kopite
  • Oh you beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #1052 on: December 4, 2018, 11:42:59 am »
Playing in the street in the 60's, round our way the word we shouted when a car came (about every half an hour) was 'petrol'. Anyone else?

Offline Shazz

• Boutros Boutros Shazz, negotiator of world peace. Got the hump. Looking forward to 1,500 pennies from 24/7.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Happy Hump Day
« Reply #1053 on: December 4, 2018, 05:35:10 pm »
Playing in the street in the 60's, round our way the word we shouted when a car came (about every half an hour) was 'petrol'. Anyone else?

Yes! I still do it when walking on holiday when we have to walk in the road.

Reminds me of being in Colomendy.
http://www.voteswap.org/     

Get them out!

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1054 on: December 5, 2018, 01:00:36 pm »

Oi, mate.  I've an Auntie who was there in '55.  I'd love to get some of your recollections for her, as would some others on here.  Would you mind or shall we take it to PM?
Kill the humourless

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1055 on: December 5, 2018, 04:05:17 pm »
Oi, mate.  I've an Auntie who was there in '55.  I'd love to get some of your recollections for her, as would some others on here.  Would you mind or shall we take it to PM?

Ask her if she remembers the wooden cafe (now rebuilt) near to the Crosville bus stop for the Ruthin and Mold services. We used to stay in a wooden shack up in the woods outside Pantymwyn (another nearby village was Cilcain) and I'd walk through the woods (apparently inhabited by adders) and down to the cafe which had a juke box.

In the spring of 1964 (so a bit after your auntie) my abiding memory of the jukie was Roy Orbison's "It's over". Not quite the Beatles or the Stones the 11 year old me went for but there was something powerful about it.

There was another walk which took you to the Devil's Gorge an old mine working. Even now the area still has a thriving quarry industry.

I've taken my children and grandchildren to ramble around the rocks and to get their feet wet in the River Alun, which never seems to be more than one foot deep.

Offline Shazz

• Boutros Boutros Shazz, negotiator of world peace. Got the hump. Looking forward to 1,500 pennies from 24/7.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Happy Hump Day
« Reply #1056 on: December 5, 2018, 06:24:30 pm »

Hiya, I don't mind, I just can't remember that much 😔

It was about '67 - '69 that I went.
http://www.voteswap.org/     

Get them out!

Offline burriana

• Kopite
« Reply #1057 on: December 6, 2018, 08:59:19 am »

Colomendy! Sudden memory blast! We used to call it Loggerheads.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #1058 on: December 7, 2018, 09:12:54 pm »
Is 'Lurgy' just a Liverpool word?
Was feeling a bit under the weather and said to one of the lads in our place "I feel lousy; think I've caught the lurgy."
He looked at me aghast and backed away asking what the fuck it was  ;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1059 on: December 7, 2018, 10:24:13 pm »
Is 'Lurgy' just a Liverpool word?
Was feeling a bit under the weather and said to one of the lads in our place "I feel lousy; think I've caught the lurgy."
He looked at me aghast and backed away asking what the fuck it was  ;D

Lurgy, wouldn't be surprised if it was a naval term.

My dad would go for a "quick swill" I.e. A quick wash, a term he picked up in the Navy.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1060 on: December 7, 2018, 11:08:06 pm »
^ ha ha I’m always saying having a swill but my grandfather and great grandfather were in the navy. Google says lurgi was invented by the goons but I’m sure the dreaded lurgi has been around for yonks - sounds a bit Indian doesn’t it?

My other grandfather was in the RAF and he always used to say “I’m just resting my eyes” when he was having a kip in the armchair :D

I’ve got a boss picture of him somewhere in the streets of Naples - circa 1944 - I’ll throw it up on here if we win next week!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1061 on: December 8, 2018, 10:13:18 am »
I was collecting lottery subs at work yesterday and one lad had a loads of coins, I said it's OK, I'll take the slummy. He just looked at me all blank.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline burriana

• Kopite
« Reply #1062 on: December 8, 2018, 12:44:37 pm »
Lurgy, wouldn't be surprised if it was a naval term.

My dad would go for a "quick swill" I.e. A quick wash, a term he picked up in the Navy.

I was thinking the same as you but turns out it's surprisingly modern and from the Goon Show.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Lurgy

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #1063 on: December 8, 2018, 01:36:19 pm »
I was collecting lottery subs at work yesterday and one lad had a loads of coins, I said it's OK, I'll take the slummy. He just looked at me all blank.
I'll take a guess where slummy comes from.
People who lived in the slum areas didn't earn enough to have banknotes, and only had coins.
Hence slummy means coins... Maybe?

Rob, you probably would have got the same look if you had said 'Shrapnel'  :)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: December 8, 2018, 10:38:10 pm »
I'll take a guess where slummy comes from.
People who lived in the slum areas didn't earn enough to have banknotes, and only had coins.
Hence slummy means coins... Maybe?

Rob, you probably would have got the same look if you had said 'Shrapnel'  :)

According to the Oxford English, it does indeed derive from slum.

Forgot about shrapnel, my Ma used to say that all the time.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1065 on: December 8, 2018, 10:48:49 pm »
^ ha ha I’m always saying having a swill but my grandfather and great grandfather were in the navy. Google says lurgi was invented by the goons but I’m sure the dreaded lurgi has been around for yonks - sounds a bit Indian doesn’t it?

My other grandfather was in the RAF and he always used to say “I’m just resting my eyes” when he was having a kip in the armchair :D

I’ve got a boss picture of him somewhere in the streets of Naples - circa 1944 - I’ll throw it up on here if we win next week!

I've got a photo of my dad and his mate Charley in their dress uniforms taken at a photographers in Naples in 1944. One of the advantages of being ship based was that you had all your kit to hand.

Mind you the ship was sunk at Anzio a bit later so all he had was what he was rescued in.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: March 8, 2019, 09:07:49 pm »
On Blob.

Just speaking to me Dah and everything needs to be on Blob.

This or that horse at Cheltenham.... If it's on Blob lad.

We need to be on Blob next week against Munich.

Love it.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: March 8, 2019, 09:58:18 pm »
On Blob.

Years ago Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman were in the studio after a Liverpool game, it was one of Robbie's very early appearances as a pundit. Describing someones performance Fowler said "he was on blob", Mcmanaman had to hold back pissing his kecks.

Couldn't find it on Youtube, shame.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1068 on: March 9, 2019, 12:22:43 am »
Years ago Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman were in the studio after a Liverpool game, it was one of Robbie's very early appearances as a pundit. Describing someones performance Fowler said "he was on blob", Mcmanaman had to hold back pissing his kecks.

Couldn't find it on Youtube, shame.

Iam laughing at the image of Fowler saying that on telly .

What a saying though eh ?

On Blob .

It's fucking beautiful .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1069 on: March 11, 2019, 03:12:27 pm »
On blob - ha ha - me arl fella sez that too. And also when he used to put up some shelves or what not and me ma said they were wonky he’d say I checked it an’ it was “blob on” I assume from the spirit level (blob = bubble??)

PS what about this one always makes me laugh

Do you ever remember that fella James Last?
He had an LP called Make Your Party Last.

Offline nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1070 on: March 12, 2019, 12:22:50 am »
cuttin up - a box of sarnies for work.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #1071 on: March 12, 2019, 02:33:48 pm »
Spoofer... Someone who is lying to you.

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #1072 on: April 3, 2019, 09:56:47 pm »
cuttin up - a box of sarnies for work.

Na, we called it carry out.
TheMissionary
YNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1073 on: April 3, 2019, 10:06:22 pm »
Over the water - going to New Brighton on the ferry.

Flundermuck - Clumsy get.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1074 on: April 7, 2019, 10:47:35 am »
Over the water - going to New Brighton on the ferry.

Flundermuck - Clumsy get.

I love that, we used to say about going to my uncles over the water.

Never heard flundermuck though

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1075 on: April 7, 2019, 04:55:02 pm »
I love that, we used to say about going to my uncles over the water.

Never heard flundermuck though

I think it was one of my dad's naval expressions, like having a "quick swill".

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1076 on: April 7, 2019, 07:02:39 pm »
I think it was one of my dad's naval expressions, like having a "quick swill".

I am familiar with a quick swill ;D

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1077 on: April 7, 2019, 11:53:42 pm »

St Eddies isn't fee paying for anyone. Still a very good school though, I think it's one of the most over subscribed in the North West for applications.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1078 on: April 8, 2019, 03:03:14 am »

Not sure why I thought that as yes, you're absolutely correct, my mistake.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1079 on: May 2, 2019, 09:13:58 pm »
On blob..blob on!

Skiddies in your grundies..maybe grundies was just a family thing.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.