Author Topic: The Liverpool Gig Thread  (Read 163640 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Re: The Liverpool Gig Thread
« Reply #960 on: February 16, 2018, 11:27:54 am »
Ezra Furman at the Arts Club on Feb 4th straight after the Spurs game.

Yes! I will be there and cannot wait

Have you seen him before? This will be my fourth gig of his I think, he's a bit mental but really good live.

I was at this too - thoroughly enjoyed it.  Only really been following him a couple of years, and I've certainly not delved fully into his back-catalogue yet.

Take of Your Sunglasses from 'Inside the Human Body' has probably been one of my favourite songs for a while actually!

He's playing at Manchester's Albert Hall in a few months by the way :wave

---

British Sea Power at the Academy for me tonight - another I've not seen before.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #961 on: February 16, 2018, 12:06:35 pm »

British Sea Power at the Academy for me tonight - another I've not seen before.

I'm headed to this .

Just a pity it's at the Academy - Begrudge paying the rip off bar prices !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #962 on: February 16, 2018, 01:46:01 pm »
He's playing at Manchester's Albert Hall in a few months by the way :wave

Already got tickets for it! Although I'm hoping to be in Kiev that weekend instead...!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #963 on: February 16, 2018, 10:00:01 pm »
I'm headed to this .

Just a pity it's at the Academy - Begrudge paying the rip off bar prices !
What the prices like at District?
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Will (Mr)

• Neville, Neville ... banana or poo? The all new Mr Arscott...
  • Anny Roader
  • Done the treble
« Reply #964 on: February 18, 2018, 03:48:47 pm »
Looking forward to seeing Howie Payne for the first time on Tuesday, at the Unity Theatre

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #965 on: April 12, 2018, 10:32:27 pm »
Has the old late bus from Manchester - Liverpool been cancelled?  Is there any alternative?

It's a joke that travel is apparently so limited.  From the Albert Hall, Deaf Institute, Academy, Ritz, and so on, it's easy enough from Oxford Road but from the Arena or Apollo it looks tough.

The Manics are playing the Arena at the end of the month but the last train is 23:09 - presumably easy if you get a clear run through the thousands of people...  ::)

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #966 on: April 12, 2018, 11:50:33 pm »
I think there's a Megabus around 11.30pm, the national express used to be great as well but I don't think that runs anymore.

Think I've previously had to leave a gig early to get a taxi back to Oxford Road for a train home.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #967 on: April 13, 2018, 09:41:10 am »
I think there's a Megabus around 11.30pm, the national express used to be great as well but I don't think that runs anymore.

Think I've previously had to leave a gig early to get a taxi back to Oxford Road for a train home.

Looks like the last return is at 22:20 :butt

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #968 on: April 13, 2018, 10:13:26 am »
Think a national express still runs to John Lennon airport. We got it back after a Roger Waters gig.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #969 on: April 13, 2018, 12:55:30 pm »
Has the old late bus from Manchester - Liverpool been cancelled?  Is there any alternative?

It's a joke that travel is apparently so limited.  From the Albert Hall, Deaf Institute, Academy, Ritz, and so on, it's easy enough from Oxford Road but from the Arena or Apollo it looks tough.

The Manics are playing the Arena at the end of the month but the last train is 23:09 - presumably easy if you get a clear run through the thousands of people...  ::)

23:20 from Oxford Road is as late as it gets I think. The Arena is miles away from that though isn't it.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #970 on: April 13, 2018, 02:14:40 pm »
23:20 from Oxford Road is as late as it gets I think. The Arena is miles away from that though isn't it.

It is.  Ridiculous that.  There must be loads of people - most nights and for that very same reason - who'd make a slightly later train worthwhile.

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #971 on: April 18, 2018, 04:38:40 pm »
Don't chance it, I tried a few weeks ago when I went to the The Courteeners and missed it.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #972 on: May 20, 2018, 11:15:58 am »
Already got tickets for it! Although I'm hoping to be in Kiev that weekend instead...!
So yeah, I'll be missing Ezra Furman next weekend now! ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Sir Afghan

• "I, Stan!" Has the softest beard.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #973 on: May 22, 2018, 12:15:10 am »
So yeah, I'll be missing Ezra Furman next weekend now! ;D

Ha I'm missing Aiden Moffat on Friday for exactly the same reason

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: May 23, 2018, 06:22:23 pm »
Jack White playing Space at the echo arena (the exhibition centre) in October. Tickets on sale this week.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #975 on: August 1, 2018, 08:05:28 am »
Not exactly a gig but saw John O'Connell in McKenzies last week, quality

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #976 on: August 24, 2018, 09:22:28 am »
Anticipation building for MICHAEL HEAD AND THE RED ELASTIC BAND at the Museum of Liverpool Life tonight, always wanted to see Mick in a museum, today's the day !

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #977 on: August 26, 2018, 11:16:59 pm »
The Musical Box ( Genesis ) are playing on the 18th October. I seen these doing the whole Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in 2005 .

Outside the cage I see my Brother John.......
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #978 on: August 26, 2018, 11:18:10 pm »
Anticipation building for MICHAEL HEAD AND THE RED ELASTIC BAND at the Museum of Liverpool Life tonight, always wanted to see Mick in a museum, today's the day !

Bollocks. Somebody was meant to remind of this . Oh well.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #979 on: October 28, 2018, 04:12:37 pm »
FJM was excellent at the Olympia last night.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #980 on: December 15, 2018, 08:56:35 am »
Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band (how do Evertonians cope with the name of Micks band I wonder), tonight at Central Hall.
Also looking forward to the totally different Toast Gang at Studio 2 Parr St on 28th December

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #981 on: December 17, 2018, 10:49:21 am »
Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band (how do Evertonians cope with the name of Micks band I wonder), tonight at Central Hall.
Also looking forward to the totally different Toast Gang at Studio 2 Parr St on 28th December

Saw photos from this on line, looked epic

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: December 17, 2018, 04:24:12 pm »

I went to this, it was boss. Mick on great form.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #983 on: December 22, 2018, 07:52:56 am »
Cast tonight at Mountford Hall

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #984 on: December 23, 2018, 01:14:57 am »
Cast were boss and it turned into a mini away day at the end.
AHA!

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #985 on: January 27, 2019, 11:48:50 pm »
The Wailers playing the same night as Bayern away. Bugger. Roy Harper at the Phil 2 days earlier. 30 years-ish after him playing the Lomax. Twisted.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #986 on: April 16, 2019, 12:34:48 pm »
Saw Art Garfunkel at the Philharmonic last night. I’ve never been in there before, lovely little hall and a great evening.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #987 on: April 16, 2019, 11:07:37 pm »
Looking forward to seeing Idlewild on Friday evening - my first visit to Grand Central Hall.

Told Roddy after his solo gig in 2017 that he needed to bring the band back to Liverpool and be sure it wasn't just a Manchester gig on the next door.  Good man, Roddy.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #988 on: June 4, 2019, 11:22:56 pm »
Enjoyed the Manics' show at the Olympia last week.  The four massive singles aside, I expected it to be a tough album to carry off live but they did a cracking job.  Prologue to History was a welcome bonus inclusion, and If You Tolerate... a no-brainer to close the 'album portion' with.  Sweet Child 'O Mine was great fun.

Couldn't help but think the Olympia was a bit of a shambles though.  The queues were big right on opening time on Thursday night, but it took about 40 minutes before the queuing system was explained to visitors (with people finding out they were in the wrong queues and being left in awkward situations after having waited ages).  Inside, there was a single card machine on the go between the bars on the lower balcony and the measures being served were offensive.  The toilets were a show too, though thankfully nowhere near as bad as when I saw The Coral a few years back (the full-length urinals were blocked and literally overflowing & running over the step that night).

To look up and around inside, the Olympia is a beautiful venue and is exactly the size of venue I've felt that the City has needed for a good few years.  It's a source of some frustration that I find that I go to 2/3 Manchester-based gigs for every 1 in Liverpool (gigs of a size-able nature, anyway) - I'm aware that this s largely down to geographical accessibility, but it's disappointing to find a venue that feels so unloved compared to some of those in Manchester (off the top of my head, the Ritz, Albert Hall, and Academy have all been in a good way on recent visits).

Overall, I'm left feeling that the Olympia has just been re-opened without a moment's thought for renovation - it seems sadly neglected, and that belies its innate beauty.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2019, 11:24:34 pm by jackh »

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #989 on: June 5, 2019, 01:06:23 pm »
Pete Wylie gig this Saturday. Saw him a couple of years ago. As good as when I first seen him in the eighties. And very funny banter.

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #990 on: August 30, 2019, 08:52:19 am »

Anyone headed to Fusion Presents at Sefton Park tonight ? Wasn't going to bother , but good lineup.

What is it with UK festivals and gigs about giving basic information ? Starts around 2pm but no gig times given from what I can see ? Probably because they want to sell you a gig guide with the times given that they should give you anyway !

Guarantees are shit facilities like not enough bogs , shit and overpriced bars , queues for everything , etc

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #991 on: August 30, 2019, 09:30:38 am »
Anyone headed to Fusion Presents at Sefton Park tonight ? Wasn't going to bother , but good lineup.

What is it with UK festivals and gigs about giving basic information ? Starts around 2pm but no gig times given from what I can see ? Probably because they want to sell you a gig guide with the times given that they should give you anyway !

Guarantees are shit facilities like not enough bogs , shit and overpriced bars , queues for everything , etc

Yeah I'm going, not the biggest Kings of Leon fan but with the decent support acts it's was worth buying a ticket. Nice to have a big gig like this in Liverpool to attend as well.

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #992 on: August 30, 2019, 10:15:15 am »
Yeah I'm going, not the biggest Kings of Leon fan but with the decent support acts it's was worth buying a ticket. Nice to have a big gig like this in Liverpool to attend as well.

Same here , looking forward to the supports more , but suspect Kings of Leon may surprise me .

Especially looking forward to seeing The Bunnymen - been a while since I've seen them . Saw Franz Ferdinand a few weeks ago and they played a top quality gig .

Offline Red_Bear

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #993 on: August 30, 2019, 10:46:21 am »
I generally find the bands' twitter of Facebook to be the best source of running times for gigs - especially the support bands' pages, they want to try and make sure people get there in time to see them!

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #994 on: August 30, 2019, 11:46:07 am »
Full set times for Fusion Presents
Artist   Time
The Clockworks   2pm - 2:20pm
Sam Fender   2:35pm - 3:10pm
Circa Waves   3:25pm - 4:05pm
Jake Bugg   4:25pm - 5:10pm
Echo & the Bunnymen   5:35pm - 6:35pm
Franz Ferdinand   7pm - 8pm
Kings of Leon   8:30pm - 10:15pm

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #995 on: November 21, 2020, 10:39:45 pm »
The Cribs released their 8th studio album yesterday, and this evening streamed a live gig from our very own Cavern Club.  Was an absolute cracker - about 80/90 minutes, with a selection of songs from throughout their back-catalogue.

Quiet in this thread recently - for obvious reasons - so I thought it might be worth a post...the gig is available to stream on demand until the 29th and all the production of it, etc, was brilliant.  Hopefully helps the crew, etc, keep ticking over too in what will have been a tough year.

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #996 on: November 22, 2020, 10:03:03 pm »
The Cribs released their 8th studio album yesterday, and this evening streamed a live gig from our very own Cavern Club.  Was an absolute cracker - about 80/90 minutes, with a selection of songs from throughout their back-catalogue.

Quiet in this thread recently - for obvious reasons - so I thought it might be worth a post...the gig is available to stream on demand until the 29th and all the production of it, etc, was brilliant.  Hopefully helps the crew, etc, keep ticking over too in what will have been a tough year.

Aye , will be a fine day indeed when this thread is moving again.

Only saw them live once . One thing I will say , is it was one of the loudest gigs I've ever been to  8)

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #997 on: November 23, 2020, 01:35:37 pm »

Nice one, totally slipped my mind that album was coming out.
AHA!

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #998 on: November 24, 2020, 01:09:39 pm »
Aye , will be a fine day indeed when this thread is moving again.

I've actually got tickets to see Cast at Grand Central Hall a fortnight Saturday - all-seater/social-distanced gig.  No idea if it'll still go ahead...!  Guess Thursday will tell.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #999 on: December 25, 2020, 12:31:56 am »
Didn't realize that CamelPhat are from Liverpool. Really really enjoy their beats.