Author Topic: Pubs to watch the match in Liverpool  (Read 104901 times)

Offline TheBestSideDrew

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Pubs to watch the match in Liverpool
« Reply #200 on: January 1, 2018, 10:46:51 pm »
Happy New Year Lads,

Wanted to pick your brains.. Ive got a couple of lads coming from out of town for a beer on Friday. I could do with some suggestions on best place to watch the match.. they're a picky bunch, so drinks quality needs to be spot on wherever we go with good atmosphere but minimal nob heads.

Basically the holy grail? Any thoughts?

Cheers, J.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: January 1, 2018, 10:50:08 pm »
To be fair mate, far too many to mention.

The match will be on everywhere.

What kind of beer are you after (real ale? Craft ale? etc. etc) 

What age range and ambiance are you after?

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: January 1, 2018, 11:31:18 pm »
Happy New Year Lads,

Wanted to pick your brains.. Ive got a couple of lads coming from out of town for a beer on Friday. I could do with some suggestions on best place to watch the match.. they're a picky bunch, so drinks quality needs to be spot on wherever we go with good atmosphere but minimal nob heads.

Basically the holy grail? Any thoughts?

Cheers, J.
The Brick.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: January 1, 2018, 11:32:57 pm »
The Brick.
To be fair mate, far too many to mention.

The match will be on everywhere.

What kind of beer are you after (real ale? Craft ale? etc. etc) 

What age range and ambiance are you after?
If he goes the Brick it'll be an ambulance he'll be after.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline TheBestSideDrew

• Main Stander
« Reply #204 on: January 2, 2018, 10:14:27 am »
Haha.. Don't think the Brick (Walton?) is what were after mate!

Surprised to hear you think there are so many.. have lived back in Liverpool (City Centre) for a while now and since I go most home games and some aways, watching the remainder from home, I haven't found anywhere I immediately think of to watch the footy at.

I use the Fly in the Loaf most often but was interested to hear other options. We are all late 30's early 40's, drink whatever is being served as long as its decent quality. So Local Ale over Carling, Woodfords over JD etc.. Good positive atmosphere, meaning people having a laugh as apposed to trying to be tough guys.

As I say, I'm pretty much in City Centre so that area best. Don't go anywhere near concert sq or matthew street.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #205 on: January 2, 2018, 10:50:52 am »
Tom Halls isn't too bad mate.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #206 on: January 2, 2018, 01:06:30 pm »
Camp and Furnace

Cross Keys

Lady of Mann (behind Rigbys)

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline TheBestSideDrew

• Main Stander
« Reply #207 on: January 2, 2018, 05:58:27 pm »
Cheers lads, never tried Tom Halls, Cross Keys or Lady of Mann.. will give one of them a go.

Appreciated.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #208 on: January 2, 2018, 06:57:15 pm »
Cheers lads, never tried Tom Halls, Cross Keys or Lady of Mann.. will give one of them a go.

Appreciated.

good thing is they're close enough to check em all out and see what suits  8)...enjoy the game!
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 2, 2018, 10:28:52 pm »
Went to Tom Halls for the Arsenal game, testosterone filled sausage factory.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #210 on: January 3, 2018, 01:24:14 pm »

Appreciated.

We are going the Cross Keys, good ales in there but not the biggest of pubs, so dont be coming in with your mob taking all the seats! ;) Only kidding, he's got loads of screens in there so plenty of room.

Give the Excelsior a consideration too, decent beer in there as well.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: January 3, 2018, 03:31:50 pm »

We are going the Cross Keys, good ales in there but not the biggest of pubs, so dont be coming in with your mob taking all the seats! ;) Only kidding, he's got loads of screens in there so plenty of room.

Give the Excelsior a consideration too, decent beer in there as well.
Normally full of blues when they play

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #212 on: January 3, 2018, 05:28:01 pm »
Normally full of blues when they play
Thought they all went the game?
Are you sure they're not just blue seats?  ;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #213 on: January 4, 2018, 09:30:12 am »
Went to Tom Halls for the Arsenal game, testosterone filled sausage factory.

That was because it was the last Fri before Xmas, was in there too and it's never normally that bad.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #214 on: February 23, 2018, 07:58:54 pm »
Where in the city shows 3 o’clock kick offs?

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2018, 08:41:31 am »
Where in the city shows 3 o’clock kick offs?

Loads of pubs near the stadium will have it on today

Online Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2018, 10:58:03 am »
Any ideas for the game tomorrow in the City Centre?

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #217 on: November 23, 2018, 01:17:08 pm »
Motel usually has them
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Online macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: November 24, 2018, 11:39:34 am »
Any suggestions for up hard man street? Was meant to be meeting some mates in the fly in the loaf but guessing they won't have it on

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #219 on: November 26, 2018, 02:55:39 pm »
Any suggestions for up hard man street? Was meant to be meeting some mates in the fly in the loaf but guessing they won't have it on

That gaff that used to be Bumper?

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2018, 04:47:56 pm »
It used to be Kirklands.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2018, 05:28:51 pm »
It used to be Kirklands.

That's fly in the loaf. The gaff across the road was bumper - now the Beer Engine

https://m.facebook.com/Beer-Engine-1860255300698281/

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #222 on: December 12, 2018, 02:16:09 pm »
That's fly in the loaf. The gaff across the road was bumper - now the Beer Engine

https://m.facebook.com/Beer-Engine-1860255300698281/
I used to always go to The Fly, but their tellies are so crap these days you can hardly see who's got the ball, so I tend to patronise Beer Engine now.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: December 13, 2018, 12:34:29 pm »
I used to always go to The Fly, but their tellies are so crap these days you can hardly see who's got the ball, so I tend to patronise Beer Engine now.

Still? I remember going in there years ago to watch the game and the screens were awful, shame cos the ale is decent in there.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: December 17, 2018, 05:14:31 pm »
Any suggestions for somewhere for Friday night that won't be mental? There's 3 of us having a catch up and bad planning mean it's mad Friday and there's a game on ;D... we just want to have several beers and dinner somewhere chilled and where we can watch the game.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: December 18, 2018, 08:00:21 am »
Any suggestions for somewhere for Friday night that won't be mental? There's 3 of us having a catch up and bad planning mean it's mad Friday and there's a game on ;D... we just want to have several beers and dinner somewhere chilled and where we can watch the game.

You've said yourself, being 'Mad Friday' everywhere will be heaving, my advice is to try somewhere like The Hope & Anchor, Maryland Street, its a large student pub but kind of off the beaten track, loads of screens, good food and beer and I don't think it will be as packed as the usual haunts.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 19, 2018, 09:05:12 am »
You've said yourself, being 'Mad Friday' everywhere will be heaving, my advice is to try somewhere like The Hope & Anchor, Maryland Street, its a large student pub but kind of off the beaten track, loads of screens, good food and beer and I don't think it will be as packed as the usual haunts.

That's a good shout, actually. Thanks for that. I think we're heading to the Head of Steam first, so will see what it's like there and then head up towards The Hope & Anchor if it's a bit too much for us. Nice one, cheers!
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Online Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 19, 2018, 10:43:54 am »
If it's anything like the Birmingham one, there's loads of tellys - which is all good, but as well as having the game on they had really loud music on. I was there for Arsenal away and only stayed about 10 mins. I couldn't cope with the music when trying to concentrate on the game.
Dispensary will have the game on  ;D

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: December 19, 2018, 11:51:09 am »
Everywhere will be....mad.

Head to where there's screens galore e.g. Hannah's Bar, Flute. Or if you want to eat and stay for footy Einsteins - I counted 12 screens from where I was sat before the derby. If you get a booth you're out the way of everyone

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 19, 2018, 01:21:21 pm »
Everywhere will be....mad.

Head to where there's screens galore e.g. Hannah's Bar, Flute. Or if you want to eat and stay for footy Einsteins - I counted 12 screens from where I was sat before the derby. If you get a booth you're out the way of everyone

Maybe we'll just buy a bottle of gin in Tesco and go round someone's house instead, ha! Do you reckon there's a decent view of a screen from most tables in Einsteins?

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 5, 2019, 05:12:19 pm »
Is there anywhere in town or the city in general that still shows the three o'clock kick offs? The croc used to but they've been clamped down on now apparently
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #231 on: January 5, 2019, 05:13:03 pm »
Is there anywhere in town or the city in general that still shows the three o'clock kick offs? The croc used to but they've been clamped down on now apparently

Not really no mate.

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 5, 2019, 05:40:54 pm »
Not really no mate.
So shite that. Apparently somebody grassed the snooker club in the swan up at the start of the season. Absolute punter whoever that was
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #233 on: January 5, 2019, 06:11:40 pm »
So shite that. Apparently somebody grassed the snooker club in the swan up at the start of the season. Absolute punter whoever that was

I'd be surprised if they were grassed up, more than likely someone was doing the rounds and caught them out - been happening all over.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #234 on: January 5, 2019, 09:37:26 pm »
Pretty sure Motel still shows them. Watched the Watford match there with no issues. (I don't know if this counts as grassing them up though!)

To be honest, on the whole towns pretty shite for decent pubs for the footy, 3 o'clocks or not. Everywhere was dead for the Utd match in December, even though it was a 4 o'clock KO. Beer Engine is okay but fucking expensive (no 3pms). I've still never ventured into McCoolies because my vision of it is lots of beaked-up dick'eds (and Camp'n'Furnace went that way a while ago)
« Last Edit: January 5, 2019, 09:39:32 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2019, 02:52:06 pm »
So is it a no go for 3pm's in Town now? Last time I watched a 3pm up there was in McCartney's (the old Hanover) on Hanover St. last season.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2019, 01:46:01 am »
It's not often I watch the match in a pub but on the occasions I've been in town when a game is on I've gone to the William Gladstone on North John Street. They have lots of screens both upstairs and down. It's always been full and with a good atmosphere. The last time I was there was Wolves away in the League on the Friday night.

EDIT: I just looked on their Facebook and they advertise showing games at all times. Mid-days, 3pms, night games.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:49:38 am by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2019, 06:56:03 am »
It's not often I watch the match in a pub but on the occasions I've been in town when a game is on I've gone to the William Gladstone on North John Street. They have lots of screens both upstairs and down. It's always been full and with a good atmosphere. The last time I was there was Wolves away in the League on the Friday night.

EDIT: I just looked on their Facebook and they advertise showing games at all times. Mid-days, 3pms, night games.

Nice one.

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2019, 10:49:17 am »
So is it a no go for 3pm's in Town now? Last time I watched a 3pm up there was in McCartney's (the old Hanover) on Hanover St. last season.

Motel

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2019, 11:18:19 am »
Motel

Where's that? That the place on Fleet Street?