Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 594387 times)

Offline Liver Bird

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2008, 07:28:10 pm »
Format to be used:

Restaurant Name:La Tasca

Link to their website:

How many went: two

What was [roughly] ordered: Two starters which were olives and bread and olive oil, we then went for the taster tapas menu which was just about 20 quid, I would recommend it if like us you had no idea what to choose or can't be arsed choosing.

Review of the Food: The sheer amount of food was impressive and filling, spanish sauage, mushroom, potatoes, the bread starter could have done with being a bit fresher, the spanish sausage was a bit over cooked.

Review of the venue: loud, relaxed, families welcome

Would you go again?
 certainly would

Would you recommend it to friends and family? yep , if you are looking for something a cut above pub chain food but still with a very relaxed atmosphere, good venue to go to if you are going the empire which we did becos its close by. Make sure you book if you are going in a group and turn up early as a big queue starts building of people trying to get in.

Any known offers of fixed menus?
Mentioned it before, you can have tapas taster for two which is more than adequate, if you want to order this and are in a group though make sure theres even numbers.

Price Paid:   very reasonable  it was only 25 quid for 2 people who went away happy and full, 20 for the tapas  and 5 quid for starters , an additional 22 quid on two pitchers of sangria....ahem.

Overall score out of 10: 7 and half out of 10, service was very fast and efficent.

"The fans are the greatest in the land.They know the game and they know what they want to see.The people on the kop make you feel great- yet humble" bill shankly.

Offline scouse_gooner

• Main Stander
  • Bah! eu sou Gaucho tche!
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »
Do not go to Cafe Rouge. Worked there over the summer; everything bar the steaks (which are of poor quality) are ready made and just warmed up and it's all very pricey. You have been warned...

Offline garcia-alonso

• Kopite
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008, 06:00:17 pm »
Anybody been to Que Pasa?
Yes. I go there a lot as I live round the corner. Food is supposed to be mexican but isn't very good IMHO and is overpriced. Very nice place for a drink though. The Moon and Pea which opened on Lark Lane just before xmas is great. Am going again on Saturday so I'll do a review..

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2008, 02:46:34 pm »
Restaurant Name: Piccolino
Link to their website  http://www.piccolinorestaurants.co.uk/liverpool.html
How many went: 2
What was [roughly] ordered:

Carpaccio & Funghi Ripieni starters

Ai Funghi Pizza and Agnello Arosto (lamb shank) mains
Side of green beans

Pinot Grigio (Bottega Vinai) - wine

Pinot Grigio grappa for desert!

Large espresso

Focaccia and tuscan bread

Review of the Food
Everything, and I mean everything was of the highest quality, and I have never been so enthuiastic over green beans in my life before!  Truly excellent.

Review of the venue
Busy, lively, friendly, inviting, warm.  Just a lovely place.

Would you go again?
Definitely
Would you recommend it to friends and family?
So long a I can get a table.  If not, then they can all sod off.  ;)

Any known offers of fixed menus?
No

Price Paid
£95 with tip (it was to celebrate a birthday)

Overall score out of 10
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 1, 2008, 09:24:57 am »
Restaurant Name: Schmooze
How Many? 2
What was ordered?

Starters: Mixed olives; garlic bread; butterbean and chorizo stew
Mains: Lamb tagine with couscous and harissa; Thai green curry with fragrant rice
Drinks: 2 pints Nastro Azzuro; one glass Merlot rose; one glass coke.

Review of the food
The menu is compact, shall we say, although I think it changes monthly. The main courses are varied with a choice of steak, beef pot pie (which was huge), lamb, seafood and chicken dishes but the starters were a little lacking in substance and I couldn't find any of the 7 I'd eat, hence the olives and garlic bread. (3 of the 7 are seafood - and it's seafood, not fish; there is no fish on the menu.) It's also extremely poor if you are vegetarian as, if you don't like the soup, your starter and main course is exactly the same except for the addition of aubergine in the main.

Fortunately, neither of the visitors are veggie, and what we had was very nice. The portions were large and the food was beautifully cooked. The only fault I could find was that they served whole olives, not pitted ones, so you had to suffer the indignity of getting rid of the stone in the middle of a (very small) restaurant. (It only has 10 tables and is above the winebar.)

Review of the venue
We ate upstairs in their newly decorated White Room, which is exactly that - very minimalist with wooden floor, spotlights and white chairs and tables. Incidentally, the chairs are quite low which does make sitting at the table a little uncomfortable for anyone over about 5"10. There's one waitress who is very attentive, but they are having some teething problems, such as getting the heating to work. There is only a little noise from the very busy bar downstairs, although one of the two glass entrance doors to the room does sit directly opposite the gents, so if you are facing it you have to see people walking in and out of the toilet all night, and they always look at you. Apparently they are getting a blind of some description to put over the door.

Would you go again?
Yes, although I will always go there first to see what the menu is as it isn't currently available on their website. As it is quite limited and seafood heavy, I don't want to book and end up eating nothing!

Known offers/fixed menu?
No

Price
£43 plus tip

Overall score
8/10 but the menu needs some work to balance out its offerings.

Offline Lynz

• Pink custard from Prague
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sexy Chick!
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2008, 04:34:39 pm »
Restaurant Name: tapas tapas

Overall score out of 10
9.59/10
 :lickin

Sorry i'll have to disagree with you on that one!

been there once and wouldnt go back - very quashed in there and the service was awful - food was ok but compared with La Vina in town it gets a 1/10!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:49:19 pm by Veinticinco de Mayo »

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2008, 08:39:30 pm »
Restaurant Name: Il Forno
Link to their website: www.ilforno.co.uk
What was [roughly] ordered: 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 afters
Review of the Food: Really nice, small portions but that's because it's quite upmarket food. Just right- not hungry but not really horrible stuffed either.
Review of the venue: Was on Valentine's so pretty busy, but it's clean and tidy, toilets were clean, service really good and very quick considering it was Valentines.
Would you go again? Yes, was nice and fairly inexpensive. We had the special menu, but prices are lower if you go in the week.
Would you recommend it to friends and family? Yes.
Any known offers of fixed menus? Don't think they do any
Price Paid: We paid 90 quid, for the three courses including wine.
Overall score out of 10: 9/10

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2008, 09:55:19 am »
 Restaurant Name:
The Living room
•   Link to their website
www.google.co.uk/thelivingroomliverpool
•   How many went
two
•   What was [roughly] ordered
2 starters, two mains, deserts,
•   Review of the Food
the food was nice enough, nothing to shout about. It came after about 5 mins so was suspicious about the old micos being involved
•   Review of the venue
Its good, where you eat is away from the bar area. The piano is a nice touch
•   Would you go again?
Probably not, there are too many places in town to go back to somewhere that not amazing
•   Would you recommend it to friends and family?
m'eh.
•   Any known offers of fixed menus?
Don't think so
•   Price Paid
£85ish for the munch plus 2 bottles of wine. Average price for average food
•   Overall score out of 10

P.S the waitresses are fucking fit, try and not get caught beasting off them by your bird.
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 10:00:31 am »
Restaurant Name:
Sports cafe england- Carraghers Gaff
Stanley street, at the back of the metquarter
N/A
•   How many went
Pasta, Pizza, Garlic bread couple of cokes
•   Review of the Food
Spot on, just been shopping in town so stopped to have me dinner. The penne carragher was really nice.
•   Review of the venue
It's marmite. Theres plasma tellies all over the show, a few mad seats and steve mcmanaman was knocking round there as well as arteta when i was there. So i was buzzing me missus, not so much
•   Would you go again?
Yes
Yes
No
•   Price Paid
£22

PS: The bird who sits you down to eat is fit. Try not to get caught beasting at her by your bird
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:02:09 am by Istanbul Therapy Group »

Offline Mike Doyle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2008, 06:18:49 pm »
Restaurant Name: Damons
How Many? 2
What was ordered?

Starters: Garlic Chiabatta, Chicken Tenders
Mains: 2x Combo Platters, BBQ Ribs & Chicken Breast/BBQ Ribs & Chicken Tenders, Both With Steak Fries, Garlic Mash & Beans
Deserts: 2x Sticky Toffee Cheesecake
Drinks: 3 Pints Of Lager & 3 Half Pints Of Lager

Review of the food
Food was fantastic. Been told about this place for ages so decided to give it a try. Starters came. I had a Garlic Ciabatta and my girlfriend had Chicken Tenders. Both were excellent. The bread here is over baked and is fresh. Added with the Garlic, it was fantastic.
Ordered mains then, both went for the combo. Had virtually the same, I decided to try the tenders with my ribs.
Came pretty sharpish, everything on the plate was lovely. The ribs were the best I've ever tasted, so suculent, melts in your mouth and the BBQ sauce is perfect., the tenders were 1000 times better than anything out of KFC. The chips were made to my perfection, the garlic mash was so soft, creamy and light. The beans were just beans, but still very nice.
Then we both got a desert each. Were both a sucker for toffee so we decided to go for the toffee cheesecake. This was brilliant. The sponge or whatever it is, was light, tastey and with the cream, toffee sauce was probs one of the best deserts I've ever had.

Review of the venue
The venue itself is out of the way. Shame it's not in town really, would be a hell of alot easier. It's set out like an old American 60's diner. Pictures of Chicago, NY from around this time scattered all around. Seating is set with lovely red leather couches like one of these old American places. Its a great place to eat in I think.
It's only downfall is the amount of kids running around. It done my head in, the noise they make and the constant thudder and crying. For someone wanting a quiet meal. Its not really what you want.

Would you go again?
Deffinatly, I love American food & this is the best place in Merseyside for it. The ribs were out of this world. Filled in the questionaire too and got a £15 voucher for next time I go. So I will deffinatly go again.

Known offers/fixed menu?
Fixed Menu

Price
£57 With Tip

Overall score
9/10 - Place is brilliant, one thing I would pick up on though is the amount of kids running about the place. The food is fantastic, the waitresses are very friendly and it is at a very reasonable price.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2008, 10:39:15 pm »

Restaurant Name: Damons
How Many? 2
What was ordered?

Mains: 1 Rib and king Prawn combo, 1 King Prawn Centre platter (20)
Drinks: Guinness, dry white wine and lemonade.

Review of the food
Hard to go wrong with ribs or prawns and both were fine. One coating was red hot (but we were warned by the friendly waitress) and the ones in garlic butter were way hotter than the rest of the food; everything else was finished by the time they were ready to eat.
Review of the venue
Alright- we didn't have a booking but it was within sight of our hotel so we gave it a go. They seated us at very short notice at a busy time and were every decent about it.
It's going for that Americana feel; lots of old b&w photos of American icons like Sinatra, Jimmy Stewart, Brando, Michael Caine (???), old shots of the Empire State, you get the idea.
It is what it is- busy, not intimate, but for a reasonably meal out it was fine.
The 'eat for free on your birthday' thing is a nice gimmick.
Would you go again?
I wouldn't go out of my way particularly, but it's fine for what it is.

Known offers/fixed menu?
Fixed Menu; eat for free on your birthday as above.

Price
£45 inc tip

Overall score
7/10

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »

•   Restaurant Name:
La Vina
•   Link to their website
NA
•   How many went
•   What was ordered
brochetas de carne (a shish kebab, basically) and chuletitas (lamp chops in garlic and rosemary).

•   Review of the Food
I have to declare bias here; if you're brought up on Spanish cooking, then much of what masquerades as 'tapas' in this country leaves me cold. Our usual Spanish restaurant is excellent but there are so many shitty ones about, naming no names.

My dining companion really enjoyed the lamb; my brochetas were also very good, if a little small for the price. Our usual Portuguese place serves double the amount for the same price.

•   Review of the venue
Again, no booking, but they fitted us in and although they were pressed for space and time they were courteous and didn't try to rush us. We finished on time anyway but that's beside the point. And they called us a cab when it was time to move on. Spanish being spoken among the staff, good background music, staff very. friendly It's always a positive to have genuine dagoes meeting, greeting and serving if you want that Spanish atmosphere.

•   Would you go again?
Yes.
•   Would you recommend it to friends and family?
Yes
•   Any known offers of fixed menus?
(no idea, sorry)
•   Price Paid
£45 inc tip
•   Overall score out of 10

Good bottle of Rioja, very easy drinking.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 9, 2008, 10:59:48 am »
  • Restaurant Name:
Christakis - Greek

• Link to their website
http://www.christakisgreektaverna.com/

• How many went

• What was [roughly] ordered
Dolmades [vine leaves stuffed with meat] for one, and king prawns for the other as starters.
Mains were the lamb chops [5 of them] and a mixed grill. Served with rice, potatoes and salad.
2 bottles of Mythos lager, and bottle of red wine.

• Review of the Food
I like greek food, and although the mains were from the tradional greek list, they were cooked well and the portions were large. The mixed grill was huge. The meat was cooked well, and it was tasty. The potatoes were also cooked in a wonderful sauce.

• Review of the venue
Its not glamorous, but are you going for the decor or the food? This isnt the type of place you'd take someone on an early date or anything - but if you fancy a midweek meal, its ideal. It also does big greek nights at the weekend with the works. Dancing, plate smashing an all that. They also have a buffet menu and banquet.

• Would you go again?
Yeah, I'd go in a group next time as ive heard its a good laugh on a weekend. But like I say, midweek for a little no nonsense meal - its superb.

• Would you recommend it to friends and family?
Yes.

• Any known offers of fixed menus?
EARLY EVENING MENU £9.95
A choice of starter and a choice of a main meal, with coffee or ice cream.Seven days a week from 5.00pm till 7.00pm

Meat banquet £15, Fish banquet £13.50 and a veggie option.

• Price Paid
£45. Very reasonable.

• Overall score out of 10
A solid 7. But i'd think it would get better on a weekend.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2008, 07:03:52 pm »
Docker, "The Sports Bar" on Sir Thomas St [opposite the Met Quarter] springs to mind - but i went past it a couple of weeks ago and it was shut. Great ribs in there.....lovely!!!

Or a little gem of a place is "The Dugout" underneath the Lord Nelson Hotel on Hotham St is a good little place. Got some boss ales there as well, and very well priced.
http://www.lordnelsonliverpool.com/page.asp?pagekey=20

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2008, 08:00:25 pm »
Docker, "The Sports Bar" on Sir Thomas St [opposite the Met Quarter] springs to mind - but i went past it a couple of weeks ago and it was shut. Great ribs in there.....lovely!!!

Or a little gem of a place is "The Dugout" underneath the Lord Nelson Hotel on Hotham St is a good little place. Got some boss ales there as well, and very well priced.
http://www.lordnelsonliverpool.com/page.asp?pagekey=20

Sports Cafe went bust. Only a few of them were saved by someone else, Liverpool not one of them.

Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline eLVIScOSTELLO

• Kopite
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2008, 12:24:27 pm »
  • Restaurant Name:
  • How many went
  • Review of the Food
  • Review of the venue
  • Would you go again?
  • Price Paid

60 Hope St

Er....Hope St

www.60hopestreet.com

Scallops / Lamb / desert

Top class. Very nice indeed.

Lovely-more informal than I thought it would be. very nice staff, and not a Hollywood Scouser in sight!

Definitely.

Absolutely-for special occasions

None that I'm aware of.

About £180, inc tip.

9/10

Overall a fantastic place-we went for a landmark anniversary, so saved up and went a bit mad with the champagne etc. You could eat and drink really well here for well under £100 quid for 2. Still pricey, but really nice for a special occasion.

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2008, 03:46:54 pm »
  • Restaurant Name:
    The London Carriage Works

• Link to their website
    http://www.hopestreethotel.co.uk/eating/page.asp?pageid=HOME
  • How many went

Starters,
Pan Fried halloumi with balsamic reduction and wilted roma tomatoes
Pressed Potato and Manchego Terraine with parma ham, tomato fondue and chorizo
Seared King Scallops with carrot puree, morcilla and a raisen and sherry vinegar dressing

Main Course
Sirloin or Rump of Bowland Charlois beef with salisfy baby leeks,celraic, horse radish, and potato puree with red wine jus (X2)

Pan-roasted free range chicken breast with buttered spaghetti vegetables, heritage farm potaotes and truffle with chestnut sauce.

• Review of the Food

The food was all absolutely fantastic, no problems with any of it. All cooked perfectly, the combinations were excellent and the flavours all complimented each other. The starters in paticular  were very well thought out, really enjoyable. I had the steak for main course were all cooked to perfection.

• Review of the venue

The setting it's self is fantastic, a great setting and easy to get to from the centre of town. The service, however, wasn't as great as it might have been. After having got seated and ordererd some drinks, it took two reminders to the waitors to actually get the drinks, presumeably because they kept forgetting. As noted above a dish with "spaghetti vegetables" was ordered, we asked the young waitor what spaghetti vegetables were, to which he had no idea, he then had to go and ask someone else- not exactly customer service in line with the price. It took over an hour for the starters to arrive, which wasn't helped by the extremely annoying floor manager, who came over to apologise. She was one of those people who just puts the customer service personna on but who you can tell doesn't give a shit. Eventually the starters did arrive, and the main course wasn't delayed when following. They deducted the bill appropriately, very generously in fact. We probably just caught them on a bad night but it was fairly obvious the staff hadn't been trained properly, it seems nothing that a day or two's training wouldn't sort.

• Would you go again?

Definately yes, although if the customer service was the same the second time I'd seriously consider swerving it in the future.
Yes, definately.
If you go onto the website they have a few special menus.

• Price Paid
Including drinks it should have been over 150/160, in reality it came to about 60 quid as they knocked all the starters off and all the drinks due to the customer service.

7, the quality of the food was a straight ten, however having to wait over an hour for your starters and having to remind waitors several times to bring your drinks isn't on. If the customer service was up to scractch it would get a 9 at least, possibly even a ten.
[/list]
They only drink water and bottles of coke, the Everton boys are a joke...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2008, 10:27:50 am »
Restaurant Name:
The Living room
www.google.co.uk/thelivingroomliverpool
•   How many went
two
2 starters, two mains, deserts,
•   Review of the Food
the food was nice enough, nothing to shout about. It came after about 5 mins so was suspicious about the old micos being involved
•   Review of the venue
Its good, where you eat is away from the bar area. The piano is a nice touch
•   Would you go again?
Probably not, there are too many places in town to go back to somewhere that not amazing
m'eh.
Don't think so
•   Price Paid
£85ish for the munch plus 2 bottles of wine. Average price for average food

P.S the waitresses are fucking fit, try and not get caught beasting off them by your bird.

Went back the living rooms because a lad in work had a 25% discount card so i thought i'd give it another bash:

Restaurant Name: Living Rooms

Link to their website: N/A

What was [roughly] ordered: Fish Cake & Prawns for starters, Cheeseburger (for her) & Chicken in Goulic Potatoes
Review of the Food. Fish cake starters were quality, as were the prawns. The mains were ok, nothing to blow you away especially with how pretentious the menu is.

Review of the venue: Spot on, quite funky, but thats what you get in victoria street

Would you go again? No

Would you recommend it to friends and family? Yeah probably its not bad, but id rather go to other places
Any known offers of fixed menus? No
Price Paid 65 less 25% discount, so about £49.00 including 3 rounds
Overall score out of 10: 7

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 4, 2008, 01:03:15 pm »
Restaurant Name: Blue Bar & Grill

Link to their website: http://www.blue-venue.co.uk/

How many went? Two

What was [roughly] ordered? Starters: Sweet Potato Fritters (£4.50) and Salt & Pepper Chicken (£4.95). Mains: Rump of Lamb (£16.95) and Jerk Seasoned Pork Chop (£10.95). I wanted the Yellow Fin Tuna but apparently they'd run out. Plus drinks.

Review of the Food: Typical "modern" presentation/portions, but enough to fill you up. The chicken starter was lovely and went well with the chilli dip. The fritters were a let down as all you could taste was ginger. Of the mains, the lamb was excellent. Real melt in your mouth stuff. The pork chop was also lovely and the seasoning tasted fantastic. Couldn't really fault it other than my issue with the ginger. I did like the fact that each main came with some sort of side, such as potato wedges or mash, as many places these days charge £10+ plus for a main with another £2-3 for side orders, which I think is a bloody cheek.

Review of the venue: We went on a Saturday night and it was very, very busy and incredibly noisy, to the point that sat opposite each other, we struggled to hold a conversation. We had a table overlooking the docks which was pretty with all the lights. It's also very dark in there, and I have always been suspicious of restaurants that are that dark - what are they trying to hide?

Would you go again? Most definitely, but I'm calling ahead about the tuna!

Would you recommend it to friends and family? Yes

Any known offers of fixed menus? Set menu for parties of 10+. None others known.

Price Paid £51 including a couple of drinks. No deserts - menu was crap.

Overall score out of 10 A healthy 7/10.

« Last Edit: May 4, 2008, 01:05:08 pm by Kez »

Offline wickolfc

• Seriously Thick Feedback Tourist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He's big an he's fuckin' ard"
« Reply #59 on: May 4, 2008, 07:20:46 pm »
Huyton tandoori.

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 4, 2008, 07:56:45 pm »
Panoramic at Beetham West Tower got a slating in yesterday's Guardian.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,2277136,00.html

Anyone tried it?
"You can always lie to others, but never to yourself."

Offline smorgasbords

• Main Stander
    • Speakeasy
« Reply #61 on: May 4, 2008, 10:15:23 pm »
Has anyone tried the Russian place on Rodney Street? Looks nice.

Do you mean Puschka? It's not actually Russian; European/British food. It's pretty good though, and friendly service when I went. 

There's a genuine Russian restaurant called St Petersburg on York Street, wasn't as impressed with that though.

Offline Rafette

• Kopite
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off.....
« Reply #62 on: May 5, 2008, 02:05:29 pm »
Thought of going there a couple of weeks ago but looked on the menu online and was really struggling to find something I'd eat, and I'm not exactly conservative with food. Just every dish seemed to come with something I didn't like.

Someone in our work wrote a review of it for our staff magazine and didnt seem too impressed. I know what you mean about all the dishes having something you dont like with them, I had a look at the menu- I'm sure I saw pigs trotter on there! Shame it seems so crap because it must be a great view up there!

Has anyone been to Cantina Tequila yet? Its the old Blundell Street- turned into a Mexican now. I'm going in a few weeks but was hoping for a heads up beforehand
"If you can't make decisions in life, you're a bloody menace. You'd be better becoming an MP!" Bill Shankly

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 5, 2008, 04:27:28 pm »
I'm sure I saw pigs trotter on there!
Pig's trotters can be excellent when cooked properly. Pierre Koffmann, one of the great chefs, used to do a fantastic pig's trotter stuffed with various bits and pieces at his London restaurant, La Tante Claire. One of my all-time favourite dishes, that was.
"You can always lie to others, but never to yourself."

Offline Rafette

• Kopite
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off.....
« Reply #64 on: May 5, 2008, 05:29:03 pm »
Pig's trotters can be excellent when cooked properly. Pierre Koffmann, one of the great chefs, used to do a fantastic pig's trotter stuffed with various bits and pieces at his London restaurant, La Tante Claire. One of my all-time favourite dishes, that was.

You know what, I just don't think I *could*...!
"If you can't make decisions in life, you're a bloody menace. You'd be better becoming an MP!" Bill Shankly

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #65 on: May 5, 2008, 05:51:24 pm »
Never had pigs trotters but had Bulls Tail in Sevilla the other year.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #66 on: May 6, 2008, 02:41:45 pm »
Panoramic at Beetham West Tower got a slating in yesterday's Guardian.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,2277136,00.html

Anyone tried it?
Funny - was looking again at this thread last night as I've just returned from Liverpool and was about to post a review of the Panoramic as I saw no one else had yet.

Will post a decent-length writeup later today - am avoiding the Guardian review as I don't want it to color my recollections.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2008, 03:02:42 pm by ConnieLFC »

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #67 on: May 6, 2008, 10:05:34 pm »
Restaurant Name:  Panoramic
Location: Beetham West Tower - 34th Floor, Brook Street, L3 9PJ
Link to their website:  http://www.panoramicliverpool.com/
How many went:  2 people

Starters:  Skate w/ capers, almond butter & chicken wings; scallops w/ black pudding
Mains:  Lamb w/ sweetbreads, kidney, bulgar wheat; Rosseval potato terrine with truffles, duck egg & salad leaves
Desserts:  Honey brioche; cheese plate
Drink:  Bottle of Covilla Rioja Reserva, glass of Taylor 10-year port

Review of the Food:   In my opinion, the food was pretty outstanding in almost every respect. 

The meal started with a very nice "amuse bouche" from the chef of salmon (slightly rare) with a lemon vanilla sauce drizzle. 

My friend's skate starter was very tasty, lightly pan seared in almond butter.  Perhaps a little oilier than it could've been; probably from the chicken stuffed inside (yes, you read right) but still very good, with the capers balancing it out.  My scallop starter was absolutely superb - I've had too many toughish scallops lately but these were just right.  And the black pudding was to die for; I really had dreams about it all weekend and would kill to have it again.  I think it would appeal to even those who don't like pudding normally - just really well-seasoned, slightly crispy and am literally licking my lips now thinking about it.   One of the best things I've eaten in a long, long time.

Regarding the main courses:  nouvelle cuisine is definitely in play here - not someplace you'd come if you're expecting big portions though the lamb and beef entrees would probably do you pretty well.   Also, people's concerns about the use of "less popular" parts of animals is understandable but thankfully they do not take centerstage:  as the host (owner?) told us, the chef uses them more for presentation than for substance.  This did seem to be the case as far as my friend's lamb entree was concerned (and on the plates of the couple at the next table), though if you're adventurous and want to tuck in those types of foodstuffs, you certainly can.

The lamb was excellent, served medium rare and was incredibly tender.   The quality of meat was just so apparent - really lovely and not too much seasoning required.  My potato terrine was quite small - a decent serving of truffle on board (which no doubt explained the price for the dish) but very tasty.  I was warned that it was smallish (and was not misled), so I pass that along to anyone who feels skittish about some of the other entrees and felt it might be the safest alternative; you'll want another starter or dessert to compensate.

Finally, the recommended honeycomb brioche was quite good; too sweet for me but my friend enjoyed it.  The cheeseplate was decent - as almost everywhere, the most conservative assortment was presented:  all relatively mild cow's milk cheeses.  Good but what about either mixing it up taste or texture wise just a little?  The only disappointment of the meal for me, but again, that's not too different from anywhere these days.

Review of the venue:

First off, you get an immediate idea of type of considered personal service to expect as soon as you enter the building on Brook Street - you are greeted at the security desk on the ground floor, then personally escorted into the elevator that takes you up to the restaurant's 34th floor location.

The views - obviously the main draw - are spectacular.  It was still light out (6pm) when we were there and can't complain as visibility was excellent on Friday, but I'd have loved to see it at nighttime.  The space is divided in half, with the bar area actually having the better views, so you may want think about reserving there (if allowed?) rather than in the full restaurant itself as there is also a smaller "finger food" menu available.

From the decor to the incredibly attentive service, you just feel like every detail has been scrutinized and planned for without being too overwhelming.  Also, a big plus was not being rushed in the least; it felt like they may in fact do only one or two seatings an evening as we spent over two hours there and still felt under no pressure to get out.   All that said, it somehow still had a fairly unpretentious and relaxed feel in my opinion for a restaurant with that caliber of food and service. 

Would you go again?  YES!

Would you recommend it to friends and family?   Already have!

Any known offers of fixed menus?  Can't imagine there are any

Price Paid:  Don't really want to say!  But you can probably hazard a guess from the order, the setting and the quality of food (or can total it up yourself by going to the website).   It was a special occasion and no regrets for one minute.  Also bear in mind that wine bumped up the overall price a bit as the list contains some very nice (and pricey) offerings.

Overall score out of 10:   9+ 

We lucked into this reservation due to a last-minute cancellation and had heard terrific things about the place.  I still haven't read the Guardian review though can imagine its complaints (as well as those others might have).  But it's the sort of place by its pretensions food/venue-wise where you know what to expect going in (so find it odd for anyone to grouse).  Even with that, we were really surprised by the quality of food, service and ambience.  Not everyone's cup of tea for sure (and not a cheap night out!), but definitely worth a visit in my opinion.  One of my best dining experiences of the last few years.  Sorry to have prattled on but as I know it's getting a bit of buzz, I wanted to give a pretty good idea of the place.  I'm attaching a couple of photos from the restaurant side.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2008, 02:38:38 pm by ConnieLFC »

Offline Eve

• Banned from the Marriott
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: May 8, 2008, 11:58:59 am »
Panoramic is excellent.  Will defo go again and again.  Would recommend going on the lunch menu though, you can see more, it costs about the same price for a 3 course meal and the main at night.

Oh yeah, and that Guardian review, bin it, he doesn't like any restaurant outside of London.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: May 8, 2008, 12:30:13 pm »
My girlfriend went to the panoramic and also said the food was amazing. That Guardian review is in the minority. And written by a twat too obviously,

'With a mixture of hope and expectation, with a small majority of the chips riding on the former, I ask readers in Liverpool to forgive what follows. It's not that you will find any unfunny gags about lads of seven asking the visitor to Anfield for a fiver to mind his Merc ("Don't worry, son," says the driver. "I'm leaving the rottweiler in the back." "Oh yeah, mister," says the boy. "Put out fires, can it?").

Should have stopped reading there..

' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #70 on: May 8, 2008, 12:57:11 pm »
Restaurant Name: Est Est Est

Link to their website

How many went: 8

What was [roughly] ordered: Italian Food

Review of the Food: Fairly poor to awful

Review of the venue:

Decent - but overcrowded. They clearly didn't have enough staff on and there was no one orchestrating them - so many people spent too long looking around trying to get served/drinks. A few orders took longer than others to turn up and in some cases - they arrived when everyone else had finished. The drinks service was terrible and the reception was anything but cordial. The whole thing felt pressured and rushed - as they were very busy.

Would you go again? No

Would you recommend it to friends and family? NO

Price Paid - Lots.

Overall score out of 10: 3
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #71 on: May 8, 2008, 01:09:01 pm »
Restaurant Name: Elif

Link to their website: None?

How many went: 4

Turkish Starters, Champagne, Main Turkish Meals - Mixed Kebabs, other speciality dishes

Review of the Food:

Excellent. For someone that has to been to Turkey on many occasions the food was great. The herbs and spices used and the options available meant that whatever you ordered was sure to please. It was served within a reasonable time and you can see them cooking it on the open grill. There is quite a choice and having been there twice - there are still many things to have a go at.

Review of the venue:

It's a smallish, friendly place on Lark Lane. As you enter, there is a grill in front of you where they prepare the food, there are a few table spaces either side of the door where the window is, and a further set of tables and places at the back. It's quite a laid back and relaxed place to visit. Our attempts at the (limited) Turkish we tried were greeted in a positive way by the mainly Turkish staff. It's a place where you can relax after your meal and have a few more drinks and a chat without feeling pressured to leave. It can get very busy, so possibly not a place to go if you're in a rush over the weekend days. In the week it's a lot quieter and just a nice place to eat.

Would you go again? Definately

Would you recommend it to friends and family? Absolutely

Price Paid: Wasn't too much (But obviously more than you'll pay for a kebab in a takeaway ;) )

Overall score out of 10: 8

I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline marmalizer

• Main Stander
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2008, 02:13:41 pm »
Can anyone reccomend any decent curry houses

Shere Khan on Renshaw st
Please check out my sponsorship page for the wirral bikeathon....  http://www.justgiving.com/trav-wirralbikeathon

Offline marmalizer

• Main Stander
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2008, 02:15:01 pm »
'Bar and Grill'?

It's the Lyceum bar & grill innit...
Please check out my sponsorship page for the wirral bikeathon....  http://www.justgiving.com/trav-wirralbikeathon

Offline Eve

• Banned from the Marriott
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2008, 10:16:01 am »
The Restaurant Bar & Grill I thought

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2008, 04:11:48 pm »
Restaurant Name: Bella Italia/Pasta

Link to their website:

How many went: four

What was [roughly] ordered: Garlic bread, bruschetta, soup, prawns: Mains
Salmon, 3 of the varying types of pasta's

Review of the Food: It was ok, nothing special. Food was very vinergary if thats a word. With lots of unnecessary garlic on my pasta, which was also quite dry. The salmon however looked & tasted spot on.

Review of the venue: loud, cramped.

Would you go again? No

Would you recommend it to friends and family? No, the place would not be open if it wasn't for the location. The waiter was a top guy and was quite funny

Any known offers of fixed menus? Didn't see any

Price Paid:   An unbelieveable £88.

Overall score out of 10: 4 out of 10. Would never go back. Carra's place is a much better, cheaper place to go for the same stuff

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2008, 08:05:54 pm »
Restaurant Name Pacino's

Location Chester - admittedly not Liverpool but it's 45 mins on the train, 5 minutes from the station and is worth the trip

Link to their website http://www.pacinos-restaurant.com/

How Many? 2

What was ordered? Starters: pork ribs; chorizo and potato salad. Mains: veal in a wild mushroom sauce; rack of lamb in rosemary and lemon; mixed seasonal vege; pesto garlic bread. Dessert: Chocolate fudge cake and ice cream; strawberry cheesecake. Drinks: 4 x pints Nastro Azzuro (draft); 2 x large house white; 1 x bottle Panna.

Review of Food: Excellent. Couldn't fault any part of it. The ribs cam out still bubbling and the chorizo salad was simple but very effective. The veal and lamb was melt-in-the-mouth tender and the garlic bread was the nicest I've ever had. Oh, and the strawberry cheesecake was as light as air.

Review of Venue I'll be honest - the place looks like a dump from the outside. It's in one of the less pleasant areas of Chester and certainly isn't great after dark. It's located underneath a 70s housing block, complete with original glass and wood door. However, once inside it's a modern, bright restaurant seating about 50 that's always packed on a Saturday night. There's a bar area for pre-meal drinks and the ambiance is loud from happy chatter.

Would you go again? Definitely. This is a "special occasion" restaurant.

Would you recommend it? Yep - worth the trip for a special occasion.

Any known offers? No

Price Paid £75 including tip

Overall score 9/10 - I'm knocking a mark off for being in Chester!

Offline jaymc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2008, 12:24:40 pm »
Can anyone reccomend any decent curry houses

I like millions down allerton road way, and city balti house (think its stiil called that) on satnley street.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 2, 2008, 02:51:13 pm »
Restaurant Name: La Vina

Link to their website:

How many went: two

What was [roughly] ordered: 6 Tapas, meatballs, prawns, garlic chicken, potatoes, garlic bread, kebabs

Review of the Food: Spot on, nicest tapas ive ever had

Review of the venue: spanishy (i realise thats not a word).

Would you go again? Yes

Would you recommend it to friends and family? Yep, Defo. Waitresses are all spanish and were having laugh with us as well

Any known offers of fixed menus? Yeah, £12.95 pp for a selection of tapas of a sunday, very reasonable

Price Paid:   £33 (includes 4 drinks as well)

Overall score out of 10: 8 out of 10. Nice atmosphere, food served quite quickly, tasted great and some fit spainsh waitresses, happy days!

Offline Will (Mr)

• Neville, Neville ... banana or poo? The all new Mr Arscott...
  • Anny Roader
  • Done the treble
« Reply #79 on: July 2, 2008, 08:03:14 pm »
Restaurant Name Panoramic (again I know)

Location Beetham Tower West just off Old Hall Street

Link to their website http://www.panoramicliverpool.com/

How Many? 2

What was ordered?
Starters: mackerel with lemon, rocket and tomato confit; risotto of barley, broad beans, peas & parmesan
Mains: 2 x spiced rump lamb with moussaka, sweet potato and pickled aubergine
Dessert: Cheese board - including ones described as like Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard
Drinks: 3 x G&T, 3 % Vodka & diet coke

Review of Food: Excellent all round

Review of Venue: Fantastic location - wonderful views from the bar and the tables nearest the bar. Decent views from elsewhere

Would you go again? Yes, for a special occasion

Would you recommend it? For a special occasion.

Any known offers? No

Price Paid £100 including tip

Overall score 9/10 - expensive but not so much consdering food, quality of service and location