Author Topic: West Ham United  (Read 223140 times)

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
West Ham United
« on: November 25, 2005, 08:11:58 am »

UPTON PARK

West Ham United - Boleyn Ground (but still known by a lot of fans as Upton Park)
Unofficial sites:
Knees up Mother Brown
West Ham Online

Address: Green St, Upton Park, London, E13 9AZ
Main Telephone No: 020-8548-2748
Fax No: 020-8548-2758
Ticket Office: 0870-112-2700
Capacity: 35,647 (all seated)
Away Allocation: 2200, but upto 3600

Fixtures

To see West Ham's remaining fixtures Click HERE

DIRECTIONS & PARKING:

To see a map of the ground and surrounding areas click here

By Car
Directions from the M25:
Travel to M25 Junction 27, and go on to the M11 southbound. Follow the M11 south until it divides to join the A406 (North Circular Road). Take the Left Hand fork signposted A406 South. Do not follow the signs for the City.

The end of the motorway joins the A406 from the left, creating a 4 lane road for a short distance. You need to be in one of the outside 2 lanes (this can be tricky if traffic is heavy). Proceed south (dual carriageway with slip roads) passing the junctions for Redbridge, and Ilford.

Leave the A406 at the Barking junction. At the roundabout at the bottom of the slip road, turn right, taking the 3rd exit towards East Ham (Barking Road). Proceed West along Barking Road through several sets of traffic lights until you have passed the lights at East Ham Town Hall (big red Victorian building on the left just before the lights). 3/4 mile further, you pass the ground on your right (behind a parade of shops, including the Hammers Shop). At the next lights (Boleyn Arms Pub on right hand corner), turn right into Green Street. The main entrance to the ground is 200 yards on your right.

On Saturday matchdays, parking is very restricted with little or no off-road parking. The best areas to look for spaces are roads left of Barking Road, once you are past the lights at East Ham Town Hall. 'You can park at Newham General Hospital, where there is a pay and display car park, which costs £1.50 for four hours, or £3.50 for six. To find the hospital; From Barking Road, passing the ground on your right, after a few traffic lights turn left into Prince Regent Lane (Newham General is signposted at the lights ), the hospital is just up this road and is about a 15 minute stroll away from the ground'.

By Train

For an Interactive London Underground Map click here

The nearest tube station is Upton Park which is on the District, plus the Hammersmith & City Lines. The station is a short walk from the ground. Please note that West Ham tube station is nowhere near the ground. The queue at Upton Park tube station after the game can be horrendous. You are better off going for a couple of pints and letting the queues die down. There are plenty of pubs along Plaistow High Road which are only a 5-10 minute walk from the stadium and as long as visitors are 'well behaved' they are more than made welcome'. If yer looking for a quick dart after the game you are probably best to walk up to East Ham, which will at least mean you will get a seat, before everyone else gets on at Upton Park'.

Click to make map larger:

Thoughts:
Away fans are housed in one end, in the lower tier of the relatively new North Stand (also known as the Centenary Stand)[See pic of stand below. The usual allocation for away supporters is 2,200, but if demand requires, away fans can be allocated the whole of the lower tier of the North Stand, where up to 3,600 supporters can be accommodated. The ground is compact, with the fans are seated close to the pitch. This coupled with the passionate support of the West Ham faithful can make for a vibrant atmosphere.

Pub guide and extras
I have been advised by a number of supporters that most of the pubs around the ground are quite partisan, and are for home supporters only. The Boleyn Pub on the corner near to the ground, plus Queens, The Greengate, Wine Bar, Village and 'The Central' pubs on Barking Road should all be given a wide berth by away fans.

Probably the best option for away fans is the Wetherspoons outlet called Millers Well which is opposite East Ham Town Hall. It is though about a twenty minute walk away along Barking Road (although it may be an idea to travel to East Ham tube station before the game, go to the pub and then walk to the ground). Another good option is the Denmark Arms also on the Barking Road near the East Ham Town Hall; this is a large pub which shows all live football games.

Away Fans:
Centenary Stand (Lower Tier): Adults £40, Senior Citizen/Juniors £20/£23

Official Programme: £3
On The Terrace Fanzine: £2
Over Land And Sea: £2.50

Stadium Plan

Click to make plan larger:

Disabled Facilities
For details of disabled facilities at the ground please visit the relevant page on the National Association Of Disabled Supporters (NADS) Click HERE

Further information on West Ham Utd from footballgroundguide.co.uk and The Football Supporters Federation
« Last Edit: December 6, 2012, 02:08:10 am by Frank. »

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
Re: West Ham United
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 07:41:14 pm »
Where's people heading for a bevvy for this then?

Offline TheBionicCarrot

• Main Stander
  • Make us dream...
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 10:31:29 am »
Saw that on the Away grounds guide - but which one is the best bet for finding a crowd of Reds? The Wetherspoons?  Or the Denmark Arms?
Our lads come from all over the place
They talk ded funny and they play ded great

Offline rednose54

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 10:38:17 am »
Going by car from Liverpool don't want to drive into London. Usually go to Stanmore but that seems too far  by tube any recommendations thanks in anticipation.
LIVERPOOL FC SHOULD NOT PLAY A GAME OF FOOTBALL ON THE 15TH APRIL.

NOT THIS YEAR OR ANY YEAR.

Offline TheBionicCarrot

• Main Stander
  • Make us dream...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:50:23 am »
This is the away grounds guide... :-\

Lost track of which thread I was in....  (sorry...  you 'pedantic so-and-so') ...(!)

But question remains - which pub is best bet?

Offline TheBionicCarrot

• Main Stander
  • Make us dream...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 02:00:26 pm »
I'll have a mooch along to the Millers then and see what's what.

Don't usually go the game alone and it's also my first away in London - hence the anal thorough pre-game planning...  Cheers.

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 05:16:29 pm »
If anyone is travelling through Canary Wharf, head into the 'Slug a and Lettice' bar.

Offline penfold102

• It remains unclear as to whether "102" refers to my IQ or my dad's age - let RAWK decide! :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 09:17:26 am »
See you all in the Millers then. I'll be on my own as well so it will be great if there are a few Rawkites there
Fils et pere - Trade count of 35+

What's tomato with you?

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 09:20:40 am »
See you all in the Millers then. I'll be on my own as well so it will be great if there are a few Rawkites there

I shall be in there (i hope) :wave
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline matty c

• RAWK Ho - £50 a night, hotel room thrown in
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 10:34:59 am »
Going by car from Liverpool don't want to drive into London. Usually go to Stanmore but that seems too far  by tube any recommendations thanks in anticipation.
how many of you in your car ?

Offline rednose54

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 09:14:29 am »
how many of you in your car ?

What a small world, one of the lads in our car was talking to a Matty from MK on the phone. If it was you leaving work at 3 ,I was with your mate.

By the way, parked in Stanmore anyways. Took an hour on the tube to Upton Park.
LIVERPOOL FC SHOULD NOT PLAY A GAME OF FOOTBALL ON THE 15TH APRIL.

NOT THIS YEAR OR ANY YEAR.

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 10:01:24 am »
Don't get stuff at HT!

Shitty ground Shitty ground Shitty ground....

Online rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 11:08:10 pm »
nice little cafe selling thai and english food 'tiffy's cafe'.

dead cheap aswell for london prices. On the main road parrallell (sp?) to the main stand.

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 10:20:01 pm »
nice little cafe selling thai and english food 'tiffy's cafe'.

dead cheap aswell for london prices. On the main road parrallell (sp?) to the main stand.

Green Street like the movie
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Online rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 11:11:15 pm »
Cheers Murf ;) and the cafe is called Tippy's, not Tiffy's as i stated earlier :)

Offline samisgirl

• Professor of English
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 04:51:23 pm »
Hey,
Just wondering what time ppl are going to be getting into the pubs, I was thinking of heading into the queens by U P station.
Maybe see some of you in there.
JFT 96  96 Liverpool fans lost their lives at Hillsborough. Thousands more were deeply affected. The Sun sed Liverpool fans robbed their own dead and urinated on policemen and other fans doing their best to save them. The Sun said Lpool fans were to blame for causing the crush by turning up ticketless and drunk. The Sun told lies. DON'T BUY THE SUN

Offline samisgirl

• Professor of English
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 07:30:34 pm »
sori puncuation was rubbish there!
should have been a question mark after getting into the pubs.
JFT 96  96 Liverpool fans lost their lives at Hillsborough. Thousands more were deeply affected. The Sun sed Liverpool fans robbed their own dead and urinated on policemen and other fans doing their best to save them. The Sun said Lpool fans were to blame for causing the crush by turning up ticketless and drunk. The Sun told lies. DON'T BUY THE SUN

Offline samisgirl

• Professor of English
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 03:55:04 pm »
hi,
that's kool at least someone else is going!!!
:>

Offline samisgirl

• Professor of English
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 01:19:49 pm »
lol that's true. but i meant reds from on here

Offline Marcus6

• QueenOfTheSouth7 (steals food from children)
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 ft 2, Eyes of Blue, Billy Bonds is after you...
« Reply #19 on: February 5, 2007, 04:15:40 pm »
Forgot how much of a pain in the arse Upton Park can be in the concourse - always absolutely rammed at half time, and then there's the fun of stewards only letting people up/down the stairs at any one time, meaning that some people miss early 2nd half goals, eh Phil? ;)

Glad you liked it ;D
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 5, 2007, 06:50:11 pm »
Forgot how much of a pain in the arse Upton Park can be in the concourse - always absolutely rammed at half time, and then there's the fun of stewards only letting people up/down the stairs at any one time, meaning that some people miss early 2nd half goals, eh Phil? ;)
That was stupid that. They stopped people from walking up but didnt tell them to clear one side of the stairway, meaning noone can actually get down them.

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 6, 2007, 06:15:09 pm »
The half time entertainment was good this year, those birds were fit  :P

Offline Moley

• Virgin, apparently...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice to mole you....I mean meet you
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 12:45:37 pm »
Miller's was alright, food took ages though. Fair old walk from there to the ground. The pub right by Upton Park tube (Queens) was fine for away support - no bother in there whatsoever.

Think I may join you lads in there then! Am going to the game alone, and meeting my man with my ticket at the ground so need a pub nearby!
BETFAIR REFERRAL CODE:  6GRRJ3CQV

Money for me and you!!

Offline KF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 96-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!
  • Super Title: Not the sharpest drumstick in the family bucket
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 02:21:32 pm »

its at night m8 lol
77 and 84 it was rome
78 it was wembley
81 it was paris
05 it was istanbul

Offline youngie

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 11:40:10 am »
has anyone took the car to west ham before. if so where would you suggest a good place to park

Offline Marcus6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 11:46:15 am »
has anyone took the car to west ham before. if so where would you suggest a good place to park

ALOT of the area's permit parking, and you do get people checking. I recommend parking off Barking Road, you should be able to find somewhere within a 10-15 minute walk away :wave
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline youngie

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 11:47:37 am »
ALOT of the area's permit parking, and you do get people checking. I recommend parking off Barking Road, you should be able to find somewhere within a 10-15 minute walk away :wave

thanks marcus6

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 11:50:11 am »

Took the car last year and parked in the Newham General Hospital car park. Think it was then a ten minutes or so walk back to the ground.

Offline youngie

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 11:59:38 am »
Took the car last year and parked in the Newham General Hospital car park. Think it was then a ten minutes or so walk back to the ground.

thanks for that kev78

Offline cullinp

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 06:25:50 pm »
I'm heading down on my own tomorrow, is the Queens the best bet for a pre match bevvy for Reds then? Anyone else headin down there!?

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 10:09:29 am »
Me and others :wave

Marcus is it worth walking back to East Ham as suggested to beat the unending queues at Upton park?
Never give up

Offline londonrebel

• Boys Pen
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 11:11:31 am »
Alright lads, West Ham fan here. ....safe pub guide.

Queens, downstairs................generally good natured but has been a few incidents of late if opposing fans took liberties.

Boleyn............Big Swerve on that one

Village ......Swerve.

Wine Bar Swerve.

Central ....good away pub, mixture of home/away support.................watch out for wine bar opposite.............bug swerve on that one also.

Park your cars off the Barking road, if you can find a space..(write rd down cos they all look the same)

Walk back to East Ham tube as it will be much quicker than Upton Park station..

Have a good one.............not too good obviously  :P

Offline Marcus6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 11:36:33 am »

Central ....good away pub, mixture of home/away support.................watch out for wine bar opposite.............bug swerve on that one also.

Not sure about that one mate.

Marcus is it worth walking back to East Ham as suggested to beat the unending queues at Upton park?

Assuming you mean after the game?

If you want to go straight away, then walk it, it's not too far. If you're in no great rush, just go back to the pub for acouple, then the queues abit more bearable, or gone :wave

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 03:17:52 pm »

Assuming you mean after the game?

If you want to go straight away, then walk it, it's not too far. If you're in no great rush, just go back to the pub for acouple, then the queues abit more bearable, or gone :wave

K will do.

An hour or so queueing at Upton park the last two times has made me want to look for an alternative after the game.  And I need to get away.
Never give up

Offline desafiar

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 09:51:39 pm »
i'm going over (living in norway) to watch this away match in may, and i wonder; is there anything to be ware of when i'm visiting boleyn ground? talking about dos and not dos around this stadium.

Offline IamDave

• Gone back to bed! zzzzZZZZ
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • All of you are the "Famous Atmosphere" - SING!!
« Reply #35 on: May 3, 2009, 01:10:30 am »
TFL site says there are engineering works on the Tube that weekend.

It appears that the Hammersmith & City line is open all the way from Euston, through Kings Cross and Liverpool Street to Upton Park/East Ham stations?
So these are meat pies.  What kind of meat exactly?

Offline Marcus6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 5, 2009, 01:09:08 pm »
Word from the wise, to the not so ;D

All the trains have been knackered all season for us.

Do NOT rely on the District Line or Hammersmith and City to get you anywhere, as they are shite when they are running properly, let alone when all this is going on.

I strongly recommend that you have a quick gander on a map and work out the best way to walk from West Ham, or Barking, as the C2C overland are about the only things still running with any kind of good service. Both can be walked from in 20 - 30 min depending on pace.

Pubs are the same as usual. Boleyn and Denmark Arms still a big nono. Apparantly the Central is abit more welcoming, but if I was you I wouldn't run the risk.

Stick with The Millers (on the walk from Barking station, bog standard wetherspoons), Queens if you're not too mouthy ;) and the Duke of Edinburgh.

For anyone coming down by car, be aware that the bulk of the sidestreets are permit parking. Best thing to do is park off BARKING ROAD, there are afew roads down there that aren't. Don't leave it too late though, as due to the trains playing up there have been alot more home fans driving than usual. The area is quite notorious for break ins, so keep the valuables out of sight, and try to park outside a house.

Can't think of anything else you'd need to know, but like I say, just make sure you have a plan B on how to get out of there by rail if that is your travelling method of choice.

If I've missed anything, feel free to ask, and I hope to see some of you for a bevvy :wave

Offline redbeak

• Kemlynite
« Reply #37 on: May 5, 2009, 01:19:52 pm »
Marcus, how far is Forest Gate station from the ground, is it walkable (don't mind 1/2 hour or so) or do we need to get a cab and if so are there plenty of black cabs about?

Offline Marcus6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 5, 2009, 01:23:01 pm »
Marcus, how far is Forest Gate station from the ground, is it walkable (don't mind 1/2 hour or so) or do we need to get a cab and if so are there plenty of black cabs about?

About 30 min on foot I'd say. Haha black cabs ;D Best thing about East London is the abundance of mini cabs, much cheaper ;D

Offline redbeak

• Kemlynite
« Reply #39 on: May 5, 2009, 01:30:20 pm »
Cheers marcus, walk sounds ok with a couple of cans.