Author Topic: Aintree Festival 2016 - The RAWK Tipping competition. 4th Edition.  (Read 13902 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Aintree 2016 starts in 5 days on Thursday 7th April and the Aintree tipping competition returns to RAWK for the 4th year.

Can Salgar become the first player to do the elusive Cheltenham/Aintree RAWK Tipster double?

Or can Paul211b become the first player to defend this title?

***The Rules and scoring usually run in total conjunction with the Cheltenham tipping contest but following this years earlier tipping comp,  it was suggested that players were not really being rewarded for selecting a high priced horse that was placed. As such, this edition of the competition will see players receive bonus points for placed tips if their horse starting price deems it worthy. Please refer to the bonus point scoring section below for details***

Pick one horse per race for each of the 3 festival days. Points are accumulated as follows

Winner - 15 points
Second - 10 points
Third - 7 points
Fourth - 4 points

Points are only paid for places which the bookies pay out on (e.g. third for 8 or more runners and fourth for 16+ runners).

Bonus points are available as follows and are slightly different from past competitions as bonus points are now rewarded for certain placed horses:

Winner 33/1 and over = 20 bonus points
Winner 16/1 and over =  10 bonus points
Winner 8/1 and over = 5 bonus points

Placed horse 16/1 and over -  5 Bonus Points
Placed Horse 33/1 and over - 10 Bonus points
Placed Horse 66/1 and over - 15 Bonus Points

On each days racing you must also pick ONE NAP horse. If your NAP selection wins, then you receive double points.  In previous years you simply received a 10 point bonus for picking a NAP winner.  I feel that a double point bonus may encourage people to try and NAP a more risky selection at longer odds and therefore gain more points.  It also gives people further down the leader board a chance to move up with a bit more of a risk/reward tactic.

So to clarify, if you picked a 10/1 winner you will get 20 points as standard (15 + 5).  If you made this your NAP of the day you would receive double and get 40 points.  Napping a 33/1 winner would get you 70 Points (15 + 20 x 2). Napping an odds on favorite would gather no odds bonus and just get you the standard 15 points for a winner then doubled. (15 x 2 = 30). And so on.

If you tipped a 33/1 horse that finishes 2nd you will get 20 points (10+10)

There is also a bonus for picking the big race winner on Saturday. The 'Grand National' Bonus Points - An additional bonus of 10 points is added to your score for anyone selecting the big race winner. So napping the grand national winner could result in a monster haul of points.

Entries to be posted in this thread before the first race each day. You can also post your selections for each day the night before or even post all 3 days selections before Thursday if you so wish.

I will update the leader board each evening on this post.

Any Non-Runners in your selections will be replaced by the SP Favorite.

If you don't think you've got the time to make any selections on one of the days just post something along the lines of "Fav every race". In the event of JT Favorites your selection will be deemed as the favorite first alphabetically.

**Anyone with edits on their original posts AFTER the start of the FIRST race each day, will void all their selections for that day!!!**

***Any player who neglects to post an entry of some kind for any one of the 3 festival days will be removed completely from the competition.  NO EXCEPTIONS***.

Please feel free to edit your selections right up to the time of the first race or post your whole weeks selections in one go. I will also accept late entries on each day for the remaining races that day.

Any questions about the point scoring or selections please feel free to ask in this thread or drop me a PM.  We will not be having separate threads for chat and selections this year we can just keep it all contained in this thread.

No real prizes I'm afraid - just the glory of being the 'RAWK Aintree Festival 2016 Champion Tipster' and getting your name on the lovely virtual trophy below!!

Hall of Fame

2015 Winner - Paul211b
2014 Winner - Bryanod
2013 Winner - StevieD

« Last Edit: April 5, 2016, 03:10:57 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Re: Aintree Festival 2016 - The RAWK Tipping competition. 4th Edition.
« Reply #1 on: April 2, 2016, 05:41:59 pm »
Alez!
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2016, 06:11:40 pm »
Will actually make my picks on the day this time. Maybe make a difference.... Maybe.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #3 on: April 2, 2016, 10:38:49 pm »
God knows I'm a sucker for it....
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: April 2, 2016, 10:40:09 pm »
Looks like being a great Aintree this year as Mullins is bringing over almost all the big guns in order to try and overhaul Nicholls as the leading trainer. Altior, Cue Card et al are all going to be racing as well. Promises me to be fantastic.

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #5 on: April 2, 2016, 10:49:51 pm »
Btw - what do we all think of the 5.15 start? Everyone on the course including me self will be arseholed

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 2, 2016, 11:03:57 pm »
I like the Druids Nephew. Was on him last year and it looked like he'd run a massive race but then fell at about 4 out. He was travelling as well as anything in the race. As for the start time I'm not really arsed to be honest, I'd watch it at any time but I think 5:15 is probably a slightly better for those who've been watching the footie and what not.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2016, 11:07:10 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #7 on: April 2, 2016, 11:24:23 pm »
Really like Saint Are again - was coming like a train at the finish last year - also Trolo D'Alene, n Carligford Loch but not sure if he gate the trip.
Pissed off cos with both Mullins and Nicholls going for it - plenty of great horses, bot no bloody value!

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #8 on: April 3, 2016, 01:33:38 pm »
Like the new rules, Pete! Just one thing - perhaps NAP should get double points for a place, too?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 3, 2016, 02:09:41 pm »
Like the new rules, Pete! Just one thing - perhaps NAP should get double points for a place, too?

Definitely not mate

The NAP selection is your selection you deem to have the most chance of winning for the whole day.

Getting bonus points for your NAP finishing 2nd or 3rd would be like rewarding failure IMO.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #10 on: April 3, 2016, 05:35:43 pm »
Definitely not mate

The NAP selection is your selection you deem to have the most chance of winning for the whole day.

Getting bonus points for your NAP finishing 2nd or 3rd would be like rewarding failure IMO.

Fair enough :).

Offline ACLE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #11 on: April 3, 2016, 08:47:07 pm »
Hey Pete thanks for sorting this again.

I'm out to Dortmund with the lads so bearing in mind I will be aled up and probably forget to post can I select my Thursday & Friday selections now? I should be able to walk and talk again by Saturday.

So for Thursday & Friday can I go for horse number 9 in every race with my Nap being the first race of the day. If there is no horse number 9 I will have number 6. If there is no number 9 or number 6 running can I have the SP favourite?

Cheers,
Andy.
It's not where you've been, it's where we're going.

JUSTICE DELAYED IS JUSTICE DENIED but Justice is getting closer every day.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 4, 2016, 09:37:15 am »
sorted ACLE my man

cheers and enjoy Dortmund!! :)

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 4, 2016, 04:10:44 pm »
Btw - what do we all think of the 5.15 start? Everyone on the course including me self will be arseholed
Am in Pete, thanks for running competition again.

Not sure i like the 5.15 start yet but at least it's not the last race, would be a nightmare everyone trying to get out of Aintree if the National was the last race, haven't been for years but a regular years ago, assume everyone starts drifting off after the national. as you say the 5.15 will stop people who've had enough to drink from drifting off. wonder why it's 5.15pm anyway, maybe trying to reach a bigger audience in the USA maybe, no idea to be honest.
Weather forecast only a few days ago was dry till Friday and then a few light showers, been peeing down since that forecast  :) but don't think it will make the ground too testing, maybe good to soft for the national. only one horse i fancy up to now, Many Clouds but will get all sorts of offers and first 6 on the day, think bet365 or someone did half your stake back if it lost last year so cant go wrong with that one if they do it again.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #14 on: April 4, 2016, 04:24:26 pm »
Hopefully I'm in, i really enjoyed the Cheltenham one.

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 4, 2016, 06:07:22 pm »
In as always, looks like a great three days, the best quality Aintree I can remember.

Cheers Pete!
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #16 on: April 4, 2016, 07:06:39 pm »
In as always, looks like a great three days, the best quality Aintree I can remember.

Cheers Pete!

Just hope it doesn't become another Mullins processional and there's still some value to be had!

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 4, 2016, 09:13:39 pm »
Really like Saint Are again - was coming like a train at the finish last year - also Trolo D'Alene, n Carligford Loch but not sure if he gate the trip.
Pissed off cos with both Mullins and Nicholls going for it - plenty of great horses, bot no bloody value!

Are you saying there's little value in the big race itself ?
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #18 on: April 4, 2016, 09:48:02 pm »

Are you saying there's little value in the big race itself ?

Nah always value in the national itself - talking about the G1s

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #19 on: April 4, 2016, 09:58:47 pm »
Interesting bit in the Racing Post about who'll anchor the Aintree coverage when it switches to ITV - That well known poster boy for gambling, Jeremy Kyle, is being mooted tho I reckon it will probably go to Ant & Dec

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 4, 2016, 10:03:01 pm »
Just hope it doesn't become another Mullins processional and there's still some value to be had!

I think sometimes you've just got to sit back and enjoy these horses whilst we have them. Great to have the likes of Douvan and Vautour coming over and racing on our doorstep and I'll happily be watching them without a penny on. Just need to crack some of the big handicaps over the three days to find the proper value!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 4, 2016, 10:03:04 pm »
Interesting bit in the Racing Post about who'll anchor the Aintree coverage when it switches to ITV - That well known poster boy for gambling, Jeremy Kyle, is being mooted tho I reckon it will probably go to Ant & Dec

If it's Jeremy Kyle I'll be watching everything on ATR and Racing UK. I absolutely loathe him. Would make sense to just get Clare Balding, she does the Channel 4 stuff already and she's fairly clued up on everything equine.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 4, 2016, 10:04:51 pm »
I saw Jeremy Kyle interviewed on Racing Uk at Cheltenham. To be fair loves the game and knows his horses from what I could tell. Tend to watch RUK more than C4 now anyway so not really fussed either way myself!

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #23 on: April 4, 2016, 10:06:35 pm »
I think sometimes you've just got to sit back and enjoy these horses whilst we have them. Great to have the likes of Douvan and Vautour coming over and racing on our doorstep and I'll happily be watching them without a penny on. Just need to crack some of the big handicaps over the three days to find the proper value!

Too right!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 4, 2016, 10:06:48 pm »
I saw Jeremy Kyle interviewed on Racing Uk at Cheltenham. To be fair loves the game and knows his horses from what I could tell. Tend to watch RUK more than C4 now anyway so not really fussed either way myself!

It's not his knowledge of racing that I doubt, it's his ability to not be an obnoxious c*nt.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #25 on: April 4, 2016, 10:08:16 pm »
Spoke to some pisshead yesterday and he told me that 'Shrewd' was a good tip for Aintree.... Is that an actual horse, or did someone just tell him he'd got a shrewd bet for him
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #26 on: April 4, 2016, 10:10:10 pm »

I think he's got a few horses - tho wouldn't mind if Nick Luck was transferred in from C4 - he does a decent job despite looking disturbingly like George Osbourne

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 4, 2016, 10:14:22 pm »
I think he's got a few horses - tho wouldn't mind if Nick Luck was transferred in from C4 - he does a decent job despite looking disturbingly like George Osbourne

Luck could front the races that'll be shoved over to ITV4 but I don't think he'll be a big enough name for ITV as far as the major races go.

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #28 on: April 4, 2016, 10:22:47 pm »
Luck could front the races that'll be shoved over to ITV4 but I don't think he'll be a big enough name for ITV as far as the major races go.

So long as they don't bring the other fat twat in a hat McCirrick back.....got stuck next to him on the stands in Haydock once and he stunk of cigars & farts.

As I say ITV being ITV I wasn't joking about them crowbarring a certain Geordie twosome in

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 4, 2016, 10:26:15 pm »
So long as they don't bring the other fat twat in a hat McCirrick back.....got stuck next to him on the stands in Haydock once and he stunk of cigars & farts.

As I say ITV being ITV I wasn't joking about them crowbarring a certain Geordie twosome in

I agree, McCririck is the pits. Jeremy Kyle is who'll they go for I think.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 5, 2016, 12:16:01 am »
Matt Chapman would be ideal for ITV assuming ATR let him. bit of humour and showmanship to draw in the audience as well as actually knowing what hes talking about for the regulars.
Wouldn't mind a bet on it if the bookies offer prices.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 5, 2016, 02:54:57 pm »
Hoping for back to back Aintree wins, so please post your selections early so I can make a guess for this year also.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2016, 03:08:38 pm by paul211b »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 5, 2016, 03:09:27 pm »
I have never won the Cheltnham.  So would be back to back Aintree wins :)

ahh yes sorry my misake, i will edit the OP

I meant Salgar is going for the Cheltenham/Aintree double :)

Back to Back Aintree trophy attempt for you as you say.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 5, 2016, 03:50:21 pm »
I like the Druids Nephew. Was on him last year and it looked like he'd run a massive race but then fell at about 4 out. He was travelling as well as anything in the race. As for the start time I'm not really arsed to be honest, I'd watch it at any time but I think 5:15 is probably a slightly better for those who've been watching the footie and what not.

I got a text of me dad just saying Driuds Nephew. That means I have to do it.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 5, 2016, 03:56:00 pm »

I saw Luck walking around Cheltenham a few times this year. Looked a right miserable bastard. I agree with Matt Chapman, love him or hate him the fella knows the game inside out, isn't afraid to voice his opinions and is far more entertaining than the more polished Luck etc. That and make sure you get Alistair Down doing the odd segment and some gamblers who will inform punters properly not like the dinosaurs McGrath & Cunningham who run through every race giving a chance to about ten of them with barely an original thought aired between them. Would also be nice if ITV had the bollocks to question bookies on account restrictions and other such issues but that's probably asking too much.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 5, 2016, 03:59:23 pm »
Definitely not mate

Winning without winning !

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 6, 2016, 11:17:17 am »
I'll start us off.

Day 1:

13:40 Sizing John NAP
14:15 Ivanovich Gorbatov
14:50 Cue Card
15:25 Annie Power
16:05 On The Fringe
16:40 Viconte Du Noyer
17:15 Augusta Kate
« Last Edit: April 6, 2016, 12:10:09 pm by ohweloveyerbaldyhead »

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #37 on: April 6, 2016, 11:35:24 am »
Mugs away!

Day 1:

13:40 Sizing John
14:15 Ivanovich Gorbatov
15:25 Nichols Canyon
16:05 On The Fringe (NAP)
16:40 Viconte Du Noyer
17:15 La Bague au Roi

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 6, 2016, 11:43:55 am »
Nice one lads

For all potential players. If you are playing you are playing

As this is only a 3 day competition, anyone neglecting to submit some kind of selections for any single day of the festival will be removed from the game.

If your strugglig for time then please just post a load of random numbers as your selections. Any Non runners will be replaced with SP fav anyway so you have a chance at scoring.

If you think you will just fuck it off after one shit day then please dont bother entering. cheers :wave

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 6, 2016, 11:49:41 am »
I'm in. I know fuck all about racing so every horse is a comlpete guess  ;D

Day 1:

13:40 Garde La Victoire
14:15 Ivanovich Gorbatov NAP
15:25 Annie Power
16:05 Mendip Express
16:40 Solar Impulse
17:15 My Khaleesi
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT