Author Topic: Texas Hold 'Em Poker Tips  (Read 458018 times)

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
Re: Texas Hold 'Em Poker Tips
« Reply #80 on: June 9, 2006, 01:15:42 pm »
See where you are coming from, and in all honesty I am self tought, so never had lessons read a book or anything, so yes you are correct you do tend to check the hand down. However I have always found that if someone has already called it all in, I will stay away, even if I was holding AA KK whatever. I just do not see the risk as worth taking myself.

Good tournament play that, and I'd do the same myself. Let someone else fight a battle which you could profit from!
Momo Is Boss

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #81 on: June 9, 2006, 01:20:29 pm »
Good tournament play that, and I'd do the same myself. Let someone else fight a battle which you could profit from!

I find it really works well for me, the live to fight another day technique. As said I can't remember the last time I didn't get paid at a Live tournament, so I must be doing something right.

I want to play a pro or two. I know I would get battered but I would love to see how I would handle it.

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2006, 11:55:57 pm »
Dont bet in the first 10-15 minutes, only place your SB and BB, let people bet against each other, they will beat each other out of the torny!
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2006, 12:06:41 am »

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2006, 12:08:29 am »
My tip is to win  :wave

Offline Cleary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2006, 12:14:24 am »
My tip is to win  :wave

cant lose with that tip hun!
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2006, 12:51:16 am »
cant lose with that tip hun!

im sure i'd manage it somehow...
Momo Is Boss

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2006, 11:12:45 am »
Dont bet in the first 10-15 minutes, only place your SB and BB, let people bet against each other, they will beat each other out of the torny!

Disagree with that Robbie, fine for small stakes online, anything larger or a live table however, and it is worth testing the water if you are holding decent hole cards. If nothing comes on the flop, then back away. Or if the raising preflop is high then fold.

Offline niallo27

• I like iceburgers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2006, 06:39:22 pm »
Anyone read the theory of poker by slansky, great book, got some great advice off it

Offline niallo27

• I like iceburgers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2006, 06:42:10 pm »

The trouble with that is if you keep passing, you find yourself with the same chips that you started with but the blinds getting larger and you find yourself having to make a move with weaker cards or get blinded out, i prefer limping it at the start with my connectors and small pairs and trying to hit hands while its cheap

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2006, 12:57:43 pm »
It looks like there's lots of ways to skin the cat  ;D
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2006, 12:59:39 pm »
It looks like there's lots of ways to skin the cat  ;D

Best way is find your own strategy.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2006, 01:02:17 pm »
Cheating works for me.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2006, 01:03:23 pm »
Is this cat Djimi? :)

Oh, and don't go in against Cowtown's mate Joe if there's a pair on the deck - he hit 2 four of a kind's in the space of about 10 hands on Sunday morning :o

Been there done that.

Offline Cleary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2006, 09:45:50 pm »
The trouble with that is if you keep passing, you find yourself with the same chips that you started with but the blinds getting larger and you find yourself having to make a move with weaker cards or get blinded out, i prefer limping it at the start with my connectors and small pairs and trying to hit hands while its cheap

Yeah maybe, but I find that what them tactics, the game will lose a few players through early betters, it lets the game calm down
 Bill Shankly

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2006, 11:11:31 am »
On a table of 10 people, stick to playing premium hands while the blinds are small. AA, KK, QQ, or AK and AQ suited or off suit, maybe AJ and A10 also (in a one night tournament you cant afford to bin these hands, although in a multiple day tournament you would). The later you act in a hand is a big advantage. Play tight in early position, slightly looser in late position when there have been all folds in front of you.

As the numbers drop and you reach the final table, once there are 5 people left any hand becomes playable. But bear in mind, more than half of all poker hands turned over are won on a high card. Its a big advantage to have, so if someone puts you all in, short of having a pair in your pocket, I'd be reluctant to play any hand lacking an ace, even KQ.

In terms of other players, dont watch all of them at once. In your first game, maybe choose the players to your left and right to watch. Get used to watching them, and it'll become second nature.

I've started playing £1 buy ins very recently and from what I've seen this seems  to be good advice, or it certainly seems as though the players doing well use similar strategies.

As the field gets narrowed though and people are playing 'weaker' hands, the luck element seems to come in more and more, ie. a seemingly good AK will get beaten by a K3 that hits 3 of a kind, is there a way to combat this? I'm thinking a good knowledge of the odds on hands might help, or by playing plenty of tournaments , playing good hands you might find yourself losing the battle, not the war (this might be an observation coming from learning recently on low-limit, non-tournament tables, where people don't put their money on weaker hands so often).

Also is there any advice on how to view a 'straight' or a 'flush' as your first two cards (is this called in the hole?). At the moment I'm working along the lines of playing either of them as long as the pot will comprise at least five times what I have to put in, otherwise fold. I haven't yet got a post flop strategy, but you'll see that at the Rawk tourney......

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2006, 12:01:18 pm »
I've started playing £1 buy ins very recently and from what I've seen this seems  to be good advice, or it certainly seems as though the players doing well use similar strategies.

As the field gets narrowed though and people are playing 'weaker' hands, the luck element seems to come in more and more, ie. a seemingly good AK will get beaten by a K3 that hits 3 of a kind, is there a way to combat this? I'm thinking a good knowledge of the odds on hands might help, or by playing plenty of tournaments , playing good hands you might find yourself losing the battle, not the war (this might be an observation coming from learning recently on low-limit, non-tournament tables, where people don't put their money on weaker hands so often).

Also is there any advice on how to view a 'straight' or a 'flush' as your first two cards (is this called in the hole?). At the moment I'm working along the lines of playing either of them as long as the pot will comprise at least five times what I have to put in, otherwise fold. I haven't yet got a post flop strategy, but you'll see that at the Rawk tourney......

If you have suited hole cards you have a chance of a flush, however you still want those suited hole cards to be decent JQ 10J JK KQ AK etc no point chasing a flush with a 2,7 because you can very easily be beaten by a higher flush.

Also never look at having a straight in you hole cards otherwise you would just get picked off everytime (maybe get lucky once in a while).

With regards to people playing weaker hands with less on the table, that is because the odds of the cards you need coming out a lower. There are less people on the table that could have them.

For example you have 10 at the table and you are dealt K3 there is a chance that a number of others would have taken out the K and/or the 3 leaving you with a disadvantage. However as people fall out of the game those cards are more likely to be left in the pack. so again say down to heads up. You get a K3 the likely hood is that the most cards that other competitors will hold that you have is 2 they may have KK 33 K3. If they have KK you can still hit 3 more 3's, if they have 33 you can still hit 3 more Kings and if they have K3 you will more than likely have a split pot.

So it becomes a less of a risk to play with so called lesser hands

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2006, 12:09:50 pm »

Generally if you're dealt two connecting cards, it is a good idea to just let them go. 87 offsuit for example. You can be dealt 'suited connectors', which as the name suggests would be 87 suited. This can be worth holding onto until the flop. With this hand your strategy should be to see a flop as cheaply as possible. Chances are you won't hit a straight or flush on the flop, but the turn or the river might make it for you.

You're along the right lines of working out what you have to put in to the pot to play, and what you'd be winning (this is called the pot odds). If theres 200 in the pot and it costs 50 to call, you're getting 4-1 on the pot. Whether its a good idea to call or not depends on the odds of hitting your card.

For a flush draw (that'd be, say, 2 clubs in your hand and another 2 on the table), the odds of hitting another club are about 5-1 on either card, but as there are two more to come, its 2.5-1 over the rest of the hand (52 cards in a deck, 13 of which are clubs. You know there are already 4 of them out, which leaves 9, and the deck has 47 cards left in it that are random. 47/9 is 5.2, rounded roughly to 5-1). Bear in mind that it might cost you some more to play after the turn. But this is variable, and also where position comes in. Say you have position against one more hand. You're holding two clubs, and the flop lands seemingly random cards, say 10c 8c 3d. The other card makes a stab at the pot, say betting 250 to make the pot 500. You're getting 2-1, and I'd say its worth playing. After all, theres a good chance this bloke is bluffing with those cards. If you stick around, it isn't stupid to imagine he will just check after the turn, and regardless of what lands you can then decide whether or not to make a play at the pot yourself. Position is all important here.

The same goes for hitting a straight, but again just beware how many outs you have. If its an open ended straight draw (you have 8 7 6 5 and need a 9 or a 4 to take the pot. That gives 8 outs, roughly 6-1 or 3-1 over the turn and flop) you have a much better chance than an inside straight draw (you have 9 7 6 5, you need an 8. 4 outs, 13-1 or 6.1-1 over the turn and flop).

It is a little bit of mental arithmatic, but well worth doing. It becomes second nature after a while. You get used to what you need to call a draw to a straight or flush. What I find it does better than anything is gives me an excuse to play the cards I have. If you're in position and someone checks to you, its almost a semi bluff to make a bet of about half the pot.

I was once told that you don't win poker by the hands you win, but by the ones you fold. It takes as much bottle to let go of a good hand as it does to bet big with a marginal one trying to steal the pot. I've been dealt QQ before, put in a good size raise early position, and then seen three players after me go all in when they had no reason to (big stacks, low Ms). Some people would be rubbing their hands together thinking of quadrupling the size of their stack. After a good think, I let it go. One of the three players turned over KK, and he still lost the pot to a flush!

One more bit of advice: buy the first two volumes of Dan Harringtons series 'Harrington on Hold'Em'. I can't sing the praises of these books enough, he can explain this shit better than I ever could, and you can believe him cos he's won millions at the World Series of Poker a couple of times...

Where as I won $30 a few times on Bet365. Bit of a difference... :wave
Momo Is Boss

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2006, 12:12:44 pm »
The best thing about poker is that everyone is an expert once they know how to play it.

It's like those polls asking people 'Do you think you are a good driver?' 90%+ say they think they are. And yet everyone knows there are so many bad drivers! :)

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2006, 12:32:14 pm »

One more bit of advice: buy the first two volumes of Dan Harringtons series 'Harrington on Hold'Em'. I can't sing the praises of these books enough, he can explain this shit better than I ever could, and you can believe him cos he's won millions at the World Series of Poker a couple of times...

The lack of these on ebay suggests they are fantastic books too :O).
I think a lad in the office may have them so I may ignore your advice and just 'borrow' them, but if not I'll be buying.
Thank you very much for taking the time for such a long reply, it's firmed up a few ideas I'd gleaned from poking around the internet and put some good hard perspective on them.

Offline Roy Cropper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2006, 12:35:04 pm »
The lack of these on ebay suggests they are fantastic books too :O).
I think a lad in the office may have them so I may ignore your advice and just 'borrow' them, but if not I'll be buying.
Thank you very much for taking the time for such a long reply, it's firmed up a few ideas I'd gleaned from poking around the internet and put some good hard perspective on them.

bought the books from amzon, had to be imported from the U.S. great boks just finished the 1st

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2006, 12:38:19 pm »
bought the books from amzon, had to be imported from the U.S. great boks just finished the 1st

Anyone got the third one?

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2006, 12:44:35 pm »

Just had a look on www.isohunt.com
The first two are available in a torrent

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2006, 12:53:36 pm »
The best thing about poker is that everyone is an expert once they know how to play it.

It's like those polls asking people 'Do you think you are a good driver?' 90%+ say they think they are. And yet everyone knows there are so many bad drivers! :)

Don't for a second believe I am an expert. I know what to do and when, which tends to be most of the advice I give out. I keep my strategies to me only.

Old Chinese saying.

A cat once taught an orphan tiger everything it knew how to kill how to hunt etc. The tiger was loyal to the cat, until one day it turned on its master. The cat escaped by running up the tree. The one thing it never taught the tiger. ;)

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2006, 01:58:02 pm »
Yeah, but then the Tiger hit an inside straight on the river, and fucked the cat over.

The moral of the story? Tigers are cheating c*nts.

;D

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2006, 02:05:52 pm »
Just had a look on www.isohunt.com
The first two are available in a torrent

Ta fiend, I'll dl when I get home.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2006, 02:25:19 pm »
Yeah, but then the Tiger hit an inside straight on the river, and fucked the cat over.

The moral of the story? Tigers are cheating c*nts.

Which is why you never play poker in the jungle... Too many cheetahs**.

**AdamL would like to thank the 1998 ASDA set of 12 Christmas Crackers for this gag
Momo Is Boss

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2006, 02:26:39 pm »
Which is why you never play poker in the jungle... Too many cheetahs**.

**AdamL would like to thank the 1998 ASDA set of 12 Christmas Crackers for this gag

Are you sure that shouldn't be the 1978 Co-op set of Christmas Crackers?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2006, 02:53:20 pm »

Orange Zone: M = 10+ : Beware just calling with medium pairs especially in early position. Also your options are limited when getting into hands with 2 or more people and with drawing hands

What is this 'drawing hand' ?

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2006, 03:01:30 pm »
What is this 'drawing hand' ?

Something like JT suited, 109s,89s etc.
drawing to a flush or/and straight. Basically you will probably have to commit to many of your chips to try and get it. You want to have a made hand on the flop in Orange zone
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:03:36 pm by Fiend »

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2006, 11:43:21 pm »
I've played my first tourney since reading all your advice and finished 3rd!!!!! From 10. In the money though. Made a whopping 80pence.
Bright enough to realise I had a huge slice of luck, but thanks to the advice on here at least I was in the game long enough to benefit from the luck.  Mainly, by playing tight and holding on for something decent to play with I won enough hands. There were lots of hands that I would have played before reading the advice, and I think every time they would have lost.

Incidentally, from the way some people play seemingly recklessly, is there an argument for taking a few risks earlier on as you might as well go out 8th frequently and then finish in the prize positions every now and then than always finish just outside the prize positions?

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2006, 11:58:25 pm »
you'll find quite a few play reckless, but generally thats on the lower stake, sit and go. obviously the higher the stakes the more the level of player you'll meet. BTW in $10 STT if yer make the money 3rd or better, 7/10 you'll be a minimum of $30 up. might not make yer rich, but allows yer balance to increase. each time yer step up, generally speaking yer notice the difference.
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2006, 12:06:47 am »
It's really interesting playing this. To be honest I don't really use any particular tactics when I play. Generally I'll only play if I've got a face card with a reasonable kicker, a pair or suited running cards. Obviously though this can be predictable and any hand can be a winner so I do play with weaker hands too. I'm not partucluarly good, I play more for enjoyment than for a way of making profit, but then again, nobody is good unless they are dealt the right cards. I love the game though.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2006, 02:24:48 am »
I fucking hate poker.

Fucking hate it.

I don't want to bleat on about bad beats all over again, did enough of that last week, but I got down to the final 30 of a 150 seat tourney tonight (top 20 paid). Got dealt AA, went all in heads up against JJ, and you got it, got beat with a jack on the river.

Never playing again. Ever. Never ever.
Momo Is Boss

Offline M|chael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2006, 02:30:51 am »
Chin up Adam, it happens. You can't give up over getting outdrawn like that. Just join the next tourmanent.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2006, 02:34:00 am »
Chin up Adam, it happens. You can't give up over getting outdrawn like that. Just join the next tourmanent.

I know. Fair play to the bloke who did it, he apologised (where as some twats go 'haha' or 'thanks') an i did say it was alright. I mean i've survived in tournaments on a lucky river many times meself before, so I cant complain when it goes against me.

Just so close to the winnings, that would have left me in the top 6. This shit happens i guess... goin to bed now anyway. Try again tomorrow!
Momo Is Boss

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2006, 06:00:42 am »
I fucking hate poker.

Fucking hate it.

Stop playin with rubbish buyins. You are are a $20 player. Play them games

Offline M|chael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2006, 11:46:54 am »
In most games people will call a raise with JJ, most of them see it as at worse they're 50/50.

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2006, 11:52:38 am »
Stop playin with rubbish buyins. You are are a $20 player. Play them games
should always play below yer level, but not too far below it.
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2006, 09:30:34 pm »
That's the 2nd tourney I've limped into third. If nothing else it's saved me from betting on the Italy USA game.
Great tips fellas and if I can add what seems to be an observation, that M theory from page 1 or 2 is ver y usefull, sooner or later you have to go all-in , no point fannying about.