Author Topic: The Athletic  (Read 25093 times)

Offline CognacBut

• BrandyAss
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Subscribed at the trial price, worth it for a year, some quality content on there.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
What about college sports? Their college football coverage this summer has been good.

While i'll admit to looking at a few college football teams scores once in awhile, reading about those teams I don't do.

If one of the teams I like is in a bowl game, I might watch it. But i bet last season I watched less than a hand full of games.

to be honest..all the commercials during football bore the shit out of me. With footy, at least for now, there are no commercials during the game.

The only NFL game I watch is the Super Bowl. And the only reason i watch it is because i've seen them all since the first one Chiefs v Packers. ( Which btw was broadcast live on two channels, CBS and NBC.) So I do it to keep my streak going.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
While i'll admit to looking at a few college football teams scores once in awhile, reading about those teams I don't do.

If one of the teams I like is in a bowl game, I might watch it. But i bet last season I watched less than a hand full of games.

to be honest..all the commercials during football bore the shit out of me. With footy, at least for now, there are no commercials during the game.

The only NFL game I watch is the Super Bowl. And the only reason i watch it is because i've seen them all since the first one Chiefs v Packers. ( Which btw was broadcast live on two channels, CBS and NBC.) So I do it to keep my streak going.

Twice the opportunity to see the Hammer get hammered...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
I signed up on an offer the other week and now they’ve sent me an email saying they’ll be taking £59 out of my account next month, even though I chose the £2.49 per month offer. Massive cock-up or swindle if I’m not the only one. Are they hoping for the free-triallers to forget and have double the amount taken?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Wont lass in its current version. Ads pay the bills
Alternative is sponsored content.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
I signed up on an offer the other week and now they’ve sent me an email saying they’ll be taking £59 out of my account next month, even though I chose the £2.49 per month offer. Massive cock-up or swindle if I’m not the only one. Are they hoping for the free-triallers to forget and have double the amount taken?

The total amount you agree to is in a greyed out font before signing up. For me, that needs improving. I've seen a few complaints from people thinking they've paid for a discounted offer, only to be charged full whack. Sounds like ordering in a private/incognito mode is a way to ensure this doesn't happen

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I signed up for the months free trial and cancelled last week before they took the £59.99 fee.

They've not taken the fee but I'm still getting the links.  Result!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
I signed up for the months free trial and cancelled last week before they took the £59.99 fee.

;D

I'm tempted now to try it out.

Sounds like they have a glitch of sorts.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
;D

I'm tempted now to try it out.

Sounds like they have a glitch of sorts.
Maybe not after all.

I'm getting the links but now I've checked I can't actually access the full articles.

As you were people [emoji2356]

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.

It's 30 a year though?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's 30 a year though?
Yeah, if you signed up in the first month it was £29.99 for the first year. I think it's gone up to £39.99 now.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Mine says £59.99/year @ 50% discount or £9.99/month when I click on the link.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
For anyone who's been tempted to subscribe but hasn't yet, there's a cyber Monday deal which works out to just over 20 quid for the first year.

https://theathletic.com/checkout/?plan_id=45&pc=cm66banner&source=webbanner

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
For anyone who's been tempted to subscribe but hasn't yet, there's a cyber Monday deal which works out to just over 20 quid for the first year.

It sounds as if the annual one is a good deal. I may do that.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Hmmmm..

It’s ok if you just want football.

Everything else is american sports.

There’s no cricket, no rugby, no F1... nothing...  I think it’s a bit pricey at half price currently.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan

I'm very tempted by this as an Xmas present (to myself!). Anyone recommend it for the LFC/PL coverage?

https://theathletic.co.uk/checkout/?plan_id=45&pc=2019cyber66&source=googlesearchads&ad_id=393408283896&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpdao-a2o5gIVmK3tCh1iswmdEAAYASAAEgLlXPD_BwE

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
I'm very tempted by this as an Xmas present (to myself!). Anyone recommend it for the LFC/PL coverage?

https://theathletic.co.uk/checkout/?plan_id=45&pc=2019cyber66&source=googlesearchads&ad_id=393408283896&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpdao-a2o5gIVmK3tCh1iswmdEAAYASAAEgLlXPD_BwE

They've got Pearce and Simon Hughes for Liverpool, and a pretty decent rest of the PL/European football lineup as well. I'd say there's roughly 7-8 footie articles a day (although I've only "followed" Liverpool and the Premier League and Champions League on the site so there could be more). They do seem to have inside scoops from a few clubs as well.

Just for LFC though, I'd say the average is about 4-5 articles a week, plus there's Q&A stuff with Pearce/Hughes after each game and before the weekend, plus they just started a weekly podcast as well.

I'd say 30 a year is worth it, 60 might be pushing it
« Last Edit: December 9, 2019, 01:11:06 pm by SprouterAtFart »
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

PL coverage as a whole is great IMO.

Pearce is one of the LFC writers and his articles are just as cliche-filled and tedious as his articles with the Echo were.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
If you're only looking for Liverpool coverage I don't think subbing is really worth it, but if you have interest in reading about other clubs (or other sports entirely; collectively, there's a ton of things worth reading) then I think it's definitely worth it. To be honest, not sure they'll ever get to a position where there will be value in subbing to only read about one club, though, at least not based on their current model.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
It's very good to be honest. Subscribed for a year at the trial price and it's a bargain at that price, I'll see how it goes for the renewal

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
If you're only looking for Liverpool coverage I don't think subbing is really worth it, but if you have interest in reading about other clubs (or other sports entirely; collectively, there's a ton of things worth reading) then I think it's definitely worth it. To be honest, not sure they'll ever get to a position where there will be value in subbing to only read about one club, though, at least not based on their current model.

I think Simon Hughes is one of the best writers on Liverpool loved his three books as well.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
PL coverage as a whole is great IMO.

Pearce is one of the LFC writers and his articles are just as cliche-filled and tedious as his articles with the Echo were.

Let's just say I eagerly wait a Simon Hughes (really wanna read his latest book re. Liverpool the city) LFC article when I visit the site and leave it at that.

I read some of other teams' articles as well plus the odd one about the Pacers and The Colts.

Lucky enough to get a 15 euro for a whole year subscription offer last 4th of July. I say lucky because I don't even remember subscribing to their newsletter prior to getting a sub. Oh well :)
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
There are no ads, but I'll say this, they are bloody shameless talking up their publication on their podcast. It's excruciating.

I subscribed a couple of months ago and I'm on the fence about whether I'll renew after a year.

They have some good people there - Ornstein, Hughes and Cox in particular. But I feel like they're trying too hard to supply too much content, when they don't have that much content to supply.

Cox was better when he did one piece every one or two weeks. Ornstein was better when he wasn't trying to decipher what the next move of a player or manager several months or years ahead of time. Pearce was better when he provided a juicy transfer tidbit on Liverpool that no one yet had.

I went into the subscription thinking that I wanted a little bit more coverage from the good writers and good minds in football writing/analysis than I had. I may now have that, but I don't feel like I have that because they're also supplying so much average content that I can't be arsed swimming through to get to the worthwhile stuff.

Offline Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
I took the plunge and subscribed last night - at £1.69 per month I though I'd give it 12 months and decide after that whether to renew or not at full price.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
I took a free trial then its £29.99 for the rest of the year.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Laid off 8% of their work force today.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
They must have a machine that spits out "The Inside Story of X's Transfer to Y" stories.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
https://t.co/dg7hGOIYaF?amp=1

£1 a month for a year(UK).

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Doesn't look good long term for the athletic.

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Doesn't look good long term for the athletic.

Just passed a million subs apparently.  Not sure if that's good or bad considering it's a worldwide thing.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just passed a million subs apparently.  Not sure if that's good or bad considering it's a worldwide thing.

They have good content for sure.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Definitely a good thing IMO, especially considering sports didn't exist for 3+ months.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Nice one for the link. Always held off but can't complain at that price.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan

Billed as £1/month for 3 months.
£7.99/month thereafter. Cancel anytime.

This is what I see when I go onto the page. Granted I'm in Ireland but the offer is still in £

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I get £1pm for 6 months.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I had the year for £29 last September and went to cancel the renew subscription which would be £60 so was offered a click here for an extra month free button . I’m presuming because I went to cancel I’ll get some sort of offer through an email for another year . Quite happy with the £29 as for no ads or pop ups and plenty of Liverpool content I look at it as 50pence a week .

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
This is your 3rd post about them in nearly as many minutes. Are you the owner of The Athletic?  ;D

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This is your 3rd post about them in nearly as many minutes. Are you the owner of The Athletic?  ;D

Either that or one of the staff ;)
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
Does anyone know if The Athletic is turning a profit?

They've hoovered up loads of well established sports journalists that I'd expect aren't getting paid in buttons!  I've followed James Pearce on Twitter for years and rarely clicked through when he worked at the Echo (as the bloat on their site would incapacitate whatever device I was using) and haven't ever really been tempted to do so now he's at The Athletic either.  Generally the headline is enough for my 10 second attention span.

Hopefully for The Athletic lots of people aren't as tightfisted as me.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
Given how much I complain about the low level of standards in most media outlets, it would be hypocritical of me to skip on subscribing for a dollar a month. Thanks for letting us know about the offer! :wave