Author Topic: Gay Footballers  (Read 47309 times)

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Re: Gay Footballers
« Reply #200 on: July 24, 2019, 02:29:31 pm »
B]IF[/B] this was real it was a real bad move and probably for the best it was deleted - I fully support people coming out and living their lives as who they really are and not in fear and shame because it is nothing to be shamed about of course - I do have an issue with the Twitter account making a big show of it all with a reveal date and so on, seems very attention grabbing to me and I dislike that (I also dislike things along the same lines like baby reveal parties where they do something big and then it's either blue or pink... fuck off)

I think for any footballer on rugby player or whatever sport is deemed as traditional man's sport... being gay doesn't make you any less of a man, it is not a choice, it is who people are and that is completely fine, if they want to come out so they feel at ease then I think said sportman/woman should but not the way this was handled which just seemed like fanfare.

It's weird that in 2019 people still have issues with who someone likes or dislikes when it doesn't directly impact their life.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2019, 02:31:11 pm »
Recently, the official Liverpool Facebook account changed their profile pic to one of the club's crest with the pride rainbow behind it.

Thousands of comments ensued, many homophobic, and many of these from people in countries where you might expect homophobia to be more prevalent. Although progress has been made in a lot of areas, there's still a very long way to go.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2019, 02:33:41 pm »
Recently, the official Liverpool Facebook account changed their profile pic to one of the club's crest with the pride rainbow behind it.

Thousands of comments ensued, many homophobic, and many of these from people in countries where you might expect homophobia to be more prevalent. Although progress has been made in a lot of areas, there's still a very long way to go.
The club has a global presence, hopefully, little by little these messages will sow the seeds of change in these countries.  There’s still a huge amount to do in our own country though, for people to not be comfortable to be open about their sexuality is still dreadful in this day and age
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2019, 03:38:22 pm »
The club has a global presence, hopefully, little by little these messages will sow the seeds of change in these countries.  There’s still a huge amount to do in our own country though, for people to not be comfortable to be open about their sexuality is still dreadful in this day and age

Absolutely.  Small steps in the right direction, but there's still a long way to go.  I'm in a sports team (I play hockey), and there's banter amongst the players that's generally all good.  But occasionally I have to explain why using "that's gay", or "he's a complete bender", or similar phrases aren't acceptable. This is with fairly intelligent and generally liberally-minded 'decent' people.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #204 on: July 24, 2019, 03:45:15 pm »
The only reason I thought it might be real was the thought that if it was made up, why go for a Championship footballer and not a Premier League one? But something didn't really add up the whole time, and the quotes from the BBC today add to that I think.

He says his club is aware of it - if that was the case then word would quickly get around and it would be leaked.

I couldn't quite figure out how it wasn't leaked already - you see how quickly people track down trolls, so assumed someone would try and out him for the attention.

Offline Red_Bear

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2020, 01:06:15 pm »
I'm extremely angry and disappointed today to be informed that Amal Fashnau and Luke Tuffs (manager of Ashford Town FC) have been interviewed about the lack of out gay footballers by Adrian Chiles in the rag. I haven't read the article, and don't intend to, so I can't comment on the content of it.

I've tweeted them both, and replied to Luke Tuffs on Facebook also, saying that they shouldn't be engaging with the rag, both for the obvious football reasons and because they're no friend of LGBT+ people. So far, no response from Amal Fashanu, but Luke Tuffs is taking the line that if we don't engage with them how can we ever change them, and anyway, he did it "for Adrian". :butt Others are also chipping in and defending him.

If anyone else would like to join me in saying that they shouldn't have done this - not by insulting them, obviously, but by politely explaining why this is unacceptable, then please do.

Amal Fashanu's twitter is here: https://twitter.com/amalfashanu
Luke Tuffs' tweet about it is here: https://twitter.com/luketuffs/status/1265194627801415680
Luke Tuffs' thread on Facebook is here: https://www.facebook.com/640180443/posts/10163717007320444

Thanks!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2020, 02:01:56 pm »
Have they any connection with Liverpool? I dont know who they, or Ashford Town FC are.
Whilst I have as much hatred for that rag as the next person, I've no big issue with people trying to break down barriers. I assume it's a positive article. Given that the large majority of the readers will be knuckledraggers, it may change their perception somewhat and mean LGBT+ players can feel safe knowing they wont be attacked from the stands for their sexuality.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2020, 07:16:18 pm »
Yup - As much as I despise the rag it’s not their battle to fight as they have no connection to the club, city etc so I can see why they’d try to engage with them

As for why there aren’t any out gay footballers, that it would be a massive story over something that has nothing to do with the general public may be why

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2020, 07:25:56 pm »
Also, as has been said, much of the readership of that rag are the very types who could do with being educated on the subject.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2020, 08:29:26 pm »
Also, as has been said, much of the readership of that rag are the very types who could do with being educated on the subject.

While that is true it's nailed on the two faced c*nts wouldn't be able to get the cheque book out fast enough if someone contacted them offering to out a high profile player

Utter fucking scum

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2020, 08:34:25 pm »
While that is true it's nailed on the two faced c*nts wouldn't be able to get the cheque book out fast enough if someone contacted them offering to out a high profile player

Utter fucking scum

And John and his daughter would gladly accept it.

Shame John wasn't as supporting when it actually mattered like.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2020, 09:02:36 pm »

Utter fucking scum
or more likely they’d do what they did to gareth thomas

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: May 4, 2021, 07:20:17 am »
It is definitely not the right thread

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2021, 09:41:03 pm »
Thought this had been bumped as someone had finally come out.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2021, 10:02:03 pm »
Thought this had been bumped as someone had finally come out.

Is it you?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: October 27, 2021, 02:17:09 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-59060323

Adelaide United player Josh Cavallo has come out as gay, becoming the only current top-flight male professional footballer in the world to do so.

The 21-year-old wrote on social media that he was "ready to speak about something personal that I'm finally comfortable to talk about in my life".

"I'm a footballer and I'm gay," the midfielder said in an accompanying video.

"All I want to do is play football and be treated equally."

'Fighting with my sexuality'

Josh said he was tired of trying to perform at his best "and to live this double life, it's exhausting".

"It's been a journey to get to this point in my life, but I couldn't be happier with my decision to come out."

"I have been fighting with my sexuality for six years now, and I'm glad I can put that to rest."

He thought "people would think of me differently when they found out".

"They would start saying bad things about me or making fun out of me. That's not the case. If anything you would earn more respect from people."

Analysis by Jack Murley, presenter of the BBC's LGBT Sport Podcast

"I'm a footballer and I'm gay."

Those six words may not sound like much, but Josh Cavallo's decision to open up about his sexuality is hugely significant.

He's chosen to speak while still an active player - something that marks him out from the likes of Thomas Hitzlsperger, who only came out publicly after retiring.

In many ways, gay and bisexual men are more represented in football than you think.

There are out players at the non-league level of the English football pyramid, as well as gay referees like Ryan Atkin and James Adcock.

But to have a top-level professional like Josh Cavallo feel comfortable enough to come out while still playing is a huge step - and, as evidenced by the reaction on social media, a welcome one as well.

As Josh himself says, too many men have felt as if the only way to be successful in football is by hiding their sexuality - with many choosing to step away from the game altogether rather than being their authentic self.

His decision to speak out (with the full support of his team-mates) shows that, in 2021, it just doesn't have to be that way anymore.

Few elite male football players have come out as gay during their careers.

Andy Brennan became the first former Australian League player to come out in 2019 when the ex-Newcastle Jet was still playing in a lower tier.

Former Aston Villa midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger revealed he was gay after retiring from the sport.

In 1990, Justin Fashanu came out as gay. He took his own life in 1998 after allegations of sexual assault were made against him by a 17-year-old in the US.

Thomas Beattie, a former youth player for English club Hull City came out in 2020, and said he was proud of Josh, adding "visibility and representation matters".

Josh's statement has sparked an outpouring of support for him, which he's called "immense".

Australia's professional players union said it was a "wonderful moment" for him, the sport and "the LGBTI+ community".

"Being a closeted footballer, I've had to learn to mask my feelings in order to fit the mould of a professional footballer."

"That's a lot of wasted young players missing out - players that could be very talented, but who don't fit the norm."

"As a gay footballer, I know there are other players living in silence. I want to help change this, to show that everyone is welcome in the game of football and deserves the right to be their authentic self," he added.

Newsbeat has contacted Josh's management but they've not yet responded.

Fair play to him. Hopefully leads to more people not feeling they have to hide because of the opinions of some scumbags.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: October 27, 2021, 02:27:39 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-59060323

Fair play to him. Hopefully leads to more people not feeling they have to hide because of the opinions of some scumbags.

Comments on social media are overwhelmingly positive. I hope that continues and people don’t start RTing the trolls and bigots to amplify their poison.

It’s sad reading that he’s had to hide his feelings and how he felt ashamed of himself. Why should he not have a relationship while he’s a footballer.

Hopefully, this will lead to other footballers being open.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: October 27, 2021, 02:30:41 pm »
Good on him.

He's 21 and seen as a rising star i was just reading, be interesting if he ever gets a move to England or Europe.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #218 on: October 27, 2021, 05:37:54 pm »
Jordan has just released a tweet supporting him.

Jordan Henderson
@JHenderson
·
1h
Huge respect to Josh for doing this. It’s courageous and shares an important message that everyone deserves to be themselves no matter what.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: October 27, 2021, 06:22:45 pm »
I’m surprised more footballers don’t freely disclose their sexuality. I don’t think it’s anywhere near as taboo a topic as it might have been 20 years ago - perhaps naive but I feel like the reaction wouldn’t be as negative as many expect.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #220 on: October 27, 2021, 06:28:19 pm »
Not to devalue or undermine any person coming out as gay but once the news is out and the surpise/shock/disbelief, whatever you want to call it dies down, it becomes tomorrows 'chip paper' so to speak and people carry on with their lives.

For all of the high profile people that have come out and continue to be in the public eye, who actually cares if they're gay or straight?
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #221 on: October 27, 2021, 07:28:20 pm »
Jordan has just released a tweet supporting him.

Jordan Henderson
@JHenderson
·
1h
Huge respect to Josh for doing this. It’s courageous and shares an important message that everyone deserves to be themselves no matter what.

Jordan, classy as usual.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #222 on: October 27, 2021, 07:30:41 pm »
Not to devalue or undermine any person coming out as gay but once the news is out and the surpise/shock/disbelief, whatever you want to call it dies down, it becomes tomorrows 'chip paper' so to speak and people carry on with their lives.

For all of the high profile people that have come out and continue to be in the public eye, who actually cares if they're gay or straight?
In theory, of course you’re right.

But considering that nearly no footballers have come out as being gay whilst playing, this clearly isn’t the case.

It still is a big deal, we need to get it to a position where it isn’t anymore.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: October 27, 2021, 08:46:07 pm »
I’m surprised more footballers don’t freely disclose their sexuality. I don’t think it’s anywhere near as taboo a topic as it might have been 20 years ago - perhaps naive but I feel like the reaction wouldn’t be as negative as many expect.

You only need to take a quick glance at the club's social media pages during the rainbow laces campaign. Complete cesspit full of hate

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: October 27, 2021, 09:56:42 pm »
You only need to take a quick glance at the club's social media pages during the rainbow laces campaign. Complete cesspit full of hate

What is wrong with these absolute cretins?!

Social media platforms has a lot to answer for! It's not a true reflection on how people really think.

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: October 27, 2021, 10:01:14 pm »

Social media platforms has a lot to answer for! It's not a true reflection on how people really think.

It's a true reflection of how the posters think. Anonymity gives many people the chance to say what they want with no fear of repercussions.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: October 27, 2021, 10:42:57 pm »
Good on him though it wont stop fans giving him dogs abuse every saturday and it wont stop the dickheads filling his social media with vile posts.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: October 27, 2021, 11:06:06 pm »
Credit to him for speaking up, must be incredibly difficult but it's important.

Unfortunately, for all the stuff about it being no big news before long and how things should be or things just being social media, we all know reality in football is far from this. There's a lot of hate filled stuff and people love this mob mentality small time shite, people have taunted players about the passing of their loved ones, let's not pretend any excuse isn't used to hurl abuse sometimes.

Competition and booing happens, some of the abuse and songs people use are so far over the line its unreal

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #228 on: October 27, 2021, 11:09:12 pm »
I think it’s prob also a concern as to the “locker room” culture why a lot don’t be open too. I mean we’ve prob nearly all been around a large group of lads on a regular basis and heard some of the stuff that might get said by some.

I can only imagine what some of the idiots would say, and can only be thankful that with the likes of Hendo, Milner and co that it would not be tolerated in our squad.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: October 28, 2021, 04:03:09 pm »

Has any other male footballer come out early in their career?   I can't think of any.  I think the majority wouldn't care but there is very clearly a very serious taboo about it within the game itself.  Either these guys feel like they cant show who they are or people are advising them not to.

There absolutely will be hate. Hopefully the positive response will be a bulwark for him when it does show itself.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #230 on: October 28, 2021, 04:26:52 pm »
Has any other male footballer come out early in their career?   I can't think of any.  I think the majority wouldn't care but there is very clearly a very serious taboo about it within the game itself.  Either these guys feel like they cant show who they are or people are advising them not to.

There absolutely will be hate. Hopefully the positive response will be a bulwark for him when it does show itself.
100% at some stage, probably even still now, Agents and Representatives will be advising Gay footballers not to come out publicly.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: October 28, 2021, 04:32:06 pm »

Justin Fash,who's brother then played a massive part in his death (imo) & that American lad (name escapes me),didn't he play for Bolton but came out once he had gone back over the pond ?

Numbers alone makes you believe that there must be a fair few who just keep quiet.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #232 on: October 28, 2021, 04:34:23 pm »
Justin Fash,who's brother then played a massive part in his death (imo) & that American lad (name escapes me),didn't he play for Bolton but came out once he had gone back over the pond ?

Numbers alone makes you believe that there must be a fair few who just keep quiet.

Robbie Rogers, was at Leeds for a bit...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 28, 2021, 04:35:58 pm »
Robbie Rogers, was at Leeds for a bit...

That's him  :thumbup

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #234 on: October 28, 2021, 04:46:24 pm »
100% at some stage, probably even still now, Agents and Representatives will be advising Gay footballers not to come out publicly.

There will prob be massive commercial deals for the first top level footballer who does so. Brands will likely want to be seen to be associated with them.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #235 on: October 28, 2021, 06:24:14 pm »
It's obviously tough, Justin Fashanu's life showed how tough it is. I mean Brian Clough isolated him due to his sexuality. What a fucking prick that man was. And there's still the likes of him in football.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: October 28, 2021, 08:36:56 pm »

The religions of some of our fanbase don't help
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #237 on: October 28, 2021, 08:50:08 pm »
Has any other male footballer come out early in their career?

Robbie Rogers as mentioned and Collin Martin.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: October 28, 2021, 11:49:32 pm »
Thomas Hitzelsperger came out just after he retired I think. Its a big deal for all of 5 minutes and then people forget and just carry on with their own lives!

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline villagelife

• 100 degree villageidiot
  • Main Stander
« Reply #239 on: October 29, 2021, 12:01:19 am »

A lot of those posters will iive in countries where they atill kill gays because of a 2000 year old book.