Author Topic: The Meh Scottish Football Thread  (Read 372997 times)

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Scottish Football Thread 2014/15
« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2014, 01:44:46 pm »
Celtic 3 Dundee Utd 0!

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2014, 02:11:20 pm »
5-0!

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2014, 03:30:29 pm »
So it would appear the gap is no closer to being narrowed then.

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
  • "Football without the fans is nothing" -Jock Stein
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2014, 03:47:41 pm »
 Wasn't expecting that.

Can have no complaints about the performance today, but still clear we need a decent striker. That aside, we pressed well and movement was good. 

The lad on loan from Man City had a very good debut.
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2014, 03:50:22 pm »
Wasn't expecting that.

Can have no complaints about the performance today, but still clear we need a decent striker. That aside, we pressed well and movement was good. 

The lad on loan from Man City had a very good debut.

Been the case for a while now. Cannot see it getting properly addressed either, if im honest. How did Berget look? Haven't seen anything of him yet.

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2014, 04:03:46 pm »
Been the case for a while now. Cannot see it getting properly addressed either, if im honest. How did Berget look? Haven't seen anything of him yet.

I think he was trying too hard in the first half.  Looked better in the second.
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2014, 04:25:50 pm »

Cousin over from Norn Iron today. Used to support the Rangers before they went belly up...has reverted to United.

I`m not sure he will have enjoyed his trip...funnily enough his wife is a celtic supporter  ;)
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2014, 04:31:18 pm »
Quite a few orcs switching allegiance. Rightly so, you would have to say. A cousin of mine now goes to Clyde's games.

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
  • DING DING ! All aboard the offended bus
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2014, 08:20:43 pm »
Wasn't expecting that.

Neither was I , we went to gung-ho , and we defended too deep and never pressed the ball , celtic are a better team but not that much better , if JMac is after the celtic job he needs to wise up tactically , this is his his year to prove how good a manager he is not just against the rest , gutted with that today it was a total minter
JFT96

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2014, 09:09:48 pm »
Quite a few orcs switching allegiance. Rightly so, you would have to say. A cousin of mine now goes to Clyde's games.

What are orcs?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2014, 09:41:34 pm »
JFT96

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2014, 08:54:33 am »
Neither was I , we went to gung-ho , and we defended too deep and never pressed the ball , celtic are a better team but not that much better , if JMac is after the celtic job he needs to wise up tactically , this is his his year to prove how good a manager he is not just against the rest , gutted with that today it was a total minter

I was surprised by how open both teams were.  I can see we are going to have quite a few heart in mouth moments this season.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2014, 10:01:02 am »

Jeez I really thought that was ferguson until my eyes focused enough to read!

Offline helen the llama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2014, 11:10:40 am »
Edinburgh Derby today.

Feeling hopefully we can put a fair few past Hibs, I mean we actually have a stronger team than last season and I don't think they do.

Offline helen the llama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2014, 12:08:49 am »
Scrappy game, not much football played. Still 6 points, 3rd on Goal Difference behind Raith (playing them on Sat) and QotS. 

HHGH.

Offline Reheat Red

• Kopite
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2014, 02:06:02 am »
Cousin over from Norn Iron today. Used to support the Rangers before they went belly up...has reverted to United.

I`m not sure he will have enjoyed his trip...funnily enough his wife is a celtic supporter  ;)
Some football supporter he sounds like  :o

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2014, 06:52:08 am »

Yeh there has been a few , it's a strange occurence but the death of rangers allowed some to break their ties with what for some was a religious choice foistered on them by parents , good for them .The club started up again and still has that mentality and the Union Jack waving god save the queen singing going on , throw in the songs about Ireland and that's enough reason for some to change clubs .
An ex rangers supporting friend of mines now follows St Johnstone for the reasons above and feels comfortable enough to take his young kids to matches which he said he wouldn't have done with the rangers .
JFT96

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2014, 11:14:28 am »
Some football supporter he sounds like  :o

As a kid he always liked Dundee United for some reason (maybe because they were good), but I am guessing there were "cultural reasons" for him supporting rangers as a teenager. I guess the demise let him go back to his first team.

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2014, 11:35:16 am »
'Cultural reasons ' , well put :) :)
JFT96

Offline Reheat Red

• Kopite
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2014, 12:24:55 pm »
As a kid he always liked Dundee United for some reason (maybe because they were good), but I am guessing there were "cultural reasons" for him supporting rangers as a teenager. I guess the demise let him go back to his first team.
A team is for life, i'm sure he's a perfectly nice guy and all but I don't consider anyone who can just change club like a pair of socks to be a real football fan

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2014, 12:51:46 pm »
A team is for life, i'm sure he's a perfectly nice guy and all but I don't consider anyone who can just change club like a pair of socks to be a real football fan

I don`t really get it either, but I didn't have to go to high school in Northern Ireland.

Offline Reheat Red

• Kopite
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2014, 01:20:58 pm »
I don`t really get it either, but I didn't have to go to high school in Northern Ireland.
Fair enough but I can't say i've ever heard much about kids in Northern Ireland being pressured into supporting Rangers. 

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2014, 02:15:42 pm »
Fair enough but I can't say i've ever heard much about kids in Northern Ireland being pressured into supporting Rangers. 
Yeah ok , not pressured , its 'cultural ' , so fair play to the boy changing clubs once he has grown up , I went the opposite way , dads family mainly rangers fans so when I was 12 and old enough to go to a game myself I supported united , my other brother did the same he's a jambo ,while my youngest brothers calls himself a rangers fan but had been to 1 game in 37 years.While we two are both season ticket holders of long standing .
JFT96

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2014, 03:25:18 pm »
Living fairly close to Northern Ireland and knowing many people from there, I can assure you, supporting Rangers or Celtic is part of a cultural identity. Some people dont even like football, but still 'support' one of the two, as it allows them to 'express' themselves.

For what its worth though, we should probably not get any more in depth in this conversation. The mods will only end up locking this thread, if it ends up too controversial.

Interested to see how Celtic get on in their play-off.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:30:44 pm by deano2727 »

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2014, 03:28:48 pm »
Living fairly close to Northern Ireland and knowing many people from there, I can assure you, supporting Rangers or Celtic is part of a cultural identity. Some people dont even like football, but still 'support' one of the two, as it allows them to 'express' themselves.

I was just in Donegal for my holidays, mate. Love going every now and then, we were up by Portnoo this time. If only I had taken my golf clubs  ;)

Had to make do with the pitch and putt  :D

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2014, 03:36:29 pm »
I was just in Donegal for my holidays, mate. Love going every now and then, we were up by Portnoo this time. If only I had taken my golf clubs  ;)

Had to make do with the pitch and putt  :D

Its a beautiful part of the country, mate. I was born in Scotland, but moved over here when I was 9 (I'm now 21). If you haven't already, next time you are over you should check out the north/north-western regions of the county - thats where I am. Some cracking beaches and mountains up this way. Plenty of places to visit like Dunfanaghy, Gweedore, The Rosses (big lakes for fishing round those parts), Dunlewy and the poison glen. Only ever 30-50 mins or so away from Letterkenny too, which has come on leaps and bounds in the past 10 years.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2014, 03:40:59 pm »

That`s the one part I haven't been to!

I have been up to Glenveagh and the Poisoned Glen and would recommend it to anyone just to check out the scenery. We were there on a clear day this time and got some good photos of Muckish and Errigal. My kids just love going to the beach so the part we were at was ideal. I love going to Malin Beg. The day we were there it was like the Mediterranean - hot, secluded and peaceful.

Letterkenny was actually good for shopping and eating.

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2014, 03:52:19 pm »

For what its worth though, we should probably not get any more in depth in this conversation. The mods will only end up locking this thread, if it ends up too controversial.

Interested to see how Celtic get on in their play-off.

Yeah fair enough , would have thought a rangers fan would have known that though unless he was just at it a bit .
Been over 4 times and have a had a ball every time , but mainly Belfast with a couple of trips to port rush , Coleraine , Lurgan and moira , great to see how the place has changed over the years had tanks the first time I came out of 'Kelly's ' :) .

Back on topic though and I would imagine celtic will stroll through against Maribo but I thought the same against legia .
We have Ross county at the weekend so have a chance to get back to winning ways after that embarrassment on Saturday , that's over 20 years since we have won there it's difficult to comprehend as we have came close with worse teams .
JFT96

royhendo

« Reply #189 on: August 18, 2014, 05:13:57 pm »
Only fair to come in and congratulate ghirl67 and the other Celtic fans on the forum. We'll continue to grow as a side but there's the gulf eh?

Offline Reheat Red

• Kopite
« Reply #190 on: August 18, 2014, 05:47:53 pm »

Offline Reheat Red

• Kopite
« Reply #191 on: August 18, 2014, 05:48:34 pm »
Barry Ferguson back at Ibrox tonight as the Clyde manager in the Petrofac whatever it's called Cup.

Wouldn't rule anything out with the way we play

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: August 18, 2014, 05:51:23 pm »
Only fair to come in and congratulate ghirl67 and the other Celtic fans on the forum. We'll continue to grow as a side but there's the gulf eh?

Yeah , will get out for a round this Friday afternoon , should cheer me up :)
JFT96

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: August 20, 2014, 09:12:05 am »
Celtic reject and rags to riches ex dundee united and scottish international player Andy Robertson , picks up the man of the match and in the mail team of the weekend .
Great from the young lad and hope he continues to impressive I believe we are on a 20% sell on fee , just gutted that Liverpool never came in for him or even had him watched , a flying left back with a great attitude .
JFT96

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: August 20, 2014, 07:38:13 pm »
Celtic reject and rags to riches ex dundee united and scottish international player Andy Robertson , picks up the man of the match and in the mail team of the weekend .
Great from the young lad and hope he continues to impressive I believe we are on a 20% sell on fee , just gutted that Liverpool never came in for him or even had him watched , a flying left back with a great attitude .

Think you should be pleased personally...thinking long term.  A good season or two down there and you could be looking at a decent amount from that sell on clause.

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 20, 2014, 08:13:33 pm »
In delighted for the lad , my club and for Scottish football , we needed to sell a couple of players and him and Gauld were certain to go , our debt is gone the moral way and we have let young players know they can get a chance here and can get picked up , just signed a young celtic lad that has been released ,a Scott Lochhead ,midfielder but don't know much else .
JFT96

Offline helen the llama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: August 23, 2014, 05:42:03 pm »
Top of the table, now to stay there for another 33 games.

Hibs look like a relegation Play Off at the moment.

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: August 23, 2014, 07:37:00 pm »
Top of the table, now to stay there for another 33 games.

Hibs look like a relegation Play Off at the moment.

Here's hoping Helen , just spoke to my pissed brother he is very happy and told me you will finish above sevco , love the confidence  , we played some fantastic stuff at times again today but we have defensive failings , 3 points though in the end it's all good , enjoy your win
JFT96

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2014, 08:56:24 am »

Gaun ra Killie!

Was at the 1-0 victory over A*r last night. Not a great advert for Scottish football. A decent crowd of 8700 odd, with the wee team from down the road bringing a solid 1500. United look like a pub team, with a lot of ex-pros working their way down the leagues, lumping it long, booting everything that moved and hoping for a set-piece. None too surprisingly they had a couple of ex-Killie players in Mark Roberts and Andy Millen in charge.

As for Killie? If this lot are 4th the rest in the SPL must be pretty dire. The boy Magennis up front would struggle to get into the Hurlford Juniors team, despite all his huff and puff he really is not a striker. Lee Miller was running up and down the touchline for most of the game, but is just coming back from injury. Some decent young players: Robbie Muirhead, Rory MacKenzie (who scored the winner) and Chris Johnston when he came on. Alexei Eremenko is obviously a class above everyone else, but can`t actually run.

Two other notes: I forgot we had a plastic pitch, they have obviously come on a great deal and had no discernible effect on the game. Also I was in a local pub and a group of twenty or so A*r fans cunningly made it past the doormen (mostly wee boys and "their dads") and tried to wind up the Killie fans with some rude songs. I was most shocked. 6 bobbies came in and asked them to leave and they left meekly. Having said that the cross-county banter was better than the football.

SEVCO in the next round plz.

Offline Reheat Red

• Kopite
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2014, 01:33:40 pm »
Scottish League Cup third-round draw
Dundee United v Dundee
Falkirk v Rangers or Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Ross County v Hibernian
Kilmarnock v St Johnstone
Aberdeen v Livingston
Partick Thistle v St Mirren
Celtic v Heart of Midlothian
Hamilton Academical v Motherwell

Ties to be played September 23/24

Our game with Inverness is arranged for the 16th, will really give a good idea where our team is at because it should be winnable.