Author Topic: George Best on Shankly... an excerpt from his book  (Read 81189 times)

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
Re: George Best on Shankly... an excerpt from his book
« Reply #80 on: February 5, 2008, 09:25:51 am »
With such a wit Rafa would be 'complete', if you know what I mean. Seems like the tactical geniuses are normally soft spoken or quiet - Bob, Capello etc.

He is witty in Spanish
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Wyl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: February 5, 2008, 09:42:02 am »
A really good read, thanks :)

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #82 on: February 5, 2008, 10:00:21 am »
thats cheered me up no end. cheers for that. :wave
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Blamire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well, it worked in Sweden.
« Reply #83 on: February 5, 2008, 10:03:22 am »
Good read that, thanks for taking the time to type it out.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #84 on: February 5, 2008, 10:15:25 am »
Shankly

A true one - off, a Legend.

Justice for the 96.

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #85 on: February 5, 2008, 10:31:41 am »
Brilliant read..... the man was a Legend and a genius, haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

Thank you for posting that.  Me Arl Fella will love that when I show hime  :thumbup
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline underscore

• nude corers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: February 5, 2008, 10:38:18 am »
fantastic reads. especially liked the Bobby Charlton story! :D
Unfortunately, even the most beautiful love stories finish, but they leave behind a lot of wonderful memories, like when my M1 and I kissed for the first time at Welkom, when she looked straight into my eyes and told me 'I love you'.

Valentino Rossi

Offline mightykopite8

• Legacy Fan
  • 18 + 5
« Reply #87 on: February 5, 2008, 11:04:25 am »
Shankly - legend :scarf
FUCK OFF MANCS!!!

Offline dfdave12

• Kopite
« Reply #88 on: February 5, 2008, 11:07:54 am »
Great, great read. Thanks!

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #89 on: February 5, 2008, 11:19:09 am »
Shanks was loved and admired by all, even at the time. It was a different world then. Other managers would constantly have warm words for him, he was truly loved. I'm sure if Brian Clough or Don Revie etc have written autobiographies you will find a mine of anecdotes, and affection in there for him.

He was almost looked upon as a father figure by other managers. The only person I can think of who was so universally liked was Gordon Banks - but with Shanks it wasn't so much 'liked' as 'loved'.

As a kid in Anfield, going to school in the morning, Shanks would drive past us every morning in his little mustard Capri. He would wave to every kid on his way down Pinehurst Avenue. We'd often be late for school waiting for him but he never let us down.

I'll never forget his emotional address to supporters outside St. George's Hall.

God how we could do with him in the background now - step forward Kenny.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #90 on: February 5, 2008, 11:43:20 am »
can post more ?

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #91 on: February 5, 2008, 12:02:23 pm »
Thanks for typing that up Ladylala, I enjoyed that.
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 5, 2008, 12:07:30 pm »
All right already, I apologise for all this blasphemy! :sad

and so you should be  ;D
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline Bosshog

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • what a hit son.....WHAT A HIT!!!!!!!
« Reply #93 on: February 5, 2008, 12:09:28 pm »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Much-More-Important-Than-That/dp/0753500035

great words from a great man

i have a feeling that if we had him with us today, none of this lark would be happening.
A bit of heavenly inspiration is needed from the man now
Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get!!

Homer Simpson

Offline arabian red

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #94 on: February 5, 2008, 12:12:44 pm »
ah yes, the days of Best, Charlton and Law

used to love to hate them but couldn't help admire them
*ducks for cover

was in the Kop, December 13th '69 against the Mancs - the day they feckin' whupped us 4-1 with Charlton scoring a screamer and Yeats scoring an OG - you could hear a pin drop that day

spoilt me Christmas that year, bastards

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #95 on: February 5, 2008, 12:13:34 pm »

Brilliant stories, made me smile and made my spine tingle a little.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: February 5, 2008, 12:17:59 pm »
ah yes, the days of Best, Charlton and Law

used to love to hate them but couldn't help admire them
*ducks for cover

was in the Kop, December 13th '69 against the Mancs - the day they feckin' whupped us 4-1 with Charlton scoring a screamer and Yeats scoring an OG - you could hear a pin drop that day

spoilt me Christmas that year, bastards

Still can't forgive Emlyn for givin' that corner away from the half-way line from which they scored there first goal.  Mind you he's just what we need right now!
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline arabian red

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #97 on: February 5, 2008, 12:34:40 pm »

Still can't forgive Emlyn for givin' that corner away from the half-way line from which they scored there first goal.  Mind you he's just what we need right now!

agreed, what we would give to have a Crazy Horse back in the team just now - passion, energy, controlled aggression and what a wonderful smile....

Come on without, Come on within..............

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #98 on: February 5, 2008, 12:34:57 pm »
The good old days of the likes of Shanks, Stein and Busby. Mutual respect and friendship, despite the deadly rivalry. Clearly rubbed off on their players too. How times have changed *sigh*

Strange someone mentioned Kenny earlier - with all what's going on with the club right now, we really lack a respected figurehead of sorts to look to at times like this. Maybe the first thing the new owners (once the Yanks piss off) should do is offer him some sort of ambassador/di Stefano-type role at the club. Legend as player AND a manager, seen us through times of trouble before - I can't think of anyone better to carry on the spirit of Shankly.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #99 on: February 5, 2008, 12:36:11 pm »
Strange someone mentioned Kenny earlier - with all what's going on with the club right now, we really lack a respected figurehead of sorts to look to at times like this. Maybe the first thing the new owners (once the Yanks piss off) should do is offer him some sort of ambassador/di Stefano-type role at the club. Legend as player AND a manager, seen us through times of trouble before - I can't think of anyone better to carry on the spirit of Shankly.

Absolutely. Charlton has that role with United too.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Online Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: February 5, 2008, 12:38:42 pm »
The good old days of the likes of Shanks, Stein and Busby. Mutual respect and friendship, despite the deadly rivalry. Clearly rubbed off on their players too. How times have changed *sigh*

Spooky, just implied similar on different thread.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #101 on: February 5, 2008, 12:48:03 pm »
No so spooky Beaker I think, seems so obvious an appointment, made even more obvious by the current off-the-field politics. Not that he would get involved in that, but with all the talk about assistant manager (pity about Gary Mac) think there's also a need for someone like Dalglish to just act as a wise old head around the place, someone who's been there and done it, someone that can have a word in the right ear (*cough* Gerrard and Carra getting too big for their boots) or motivate the players. He still does his weekly column in LFC, and AFAIK, has no other media commitments so I can't see why not.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Texas Reds Fan

• The first to learn about Project: Rename LFC
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is emptiness, emptiness is form
« Reply #102 on: February 5, 2008, 12:51:35 pm »
Great read. Some funny stuff in there.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 5, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »
No so spooky Beaker I think, seems so obvious an appointment, made even more obvious by the current off-the-field politics. Not that he would get involved in that, but with all the talk about assistant manager (pity about Gary Mac) think there's also a need for someone like Dalglish to just act as a wise old head around the place, someone who's been there and done it, someone that can have a word in the right ear (*cough* Gerrard and Carra getting too big for their boots) or motivate the players. He still does his weekly column in LFC, and AFAIK, has no other media commitments so I can't see why not.

Even spookier - said he should have a word in Gerard's ear meself a couple of days ago, different thread. Simply put, who could ignore him? He is the living embodiment of LFC.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #104 on: February 5, 2008, 01:14:56 pm »
he's spot on about Paddy Crerand
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #105 on: February 5, 2008, 01:16:05 pm »
Paddy Crerand. Slower than steam rising off a dog turd. You'll bypass him easily.'

haha funny as fuck ;D
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #106 on: February 5, 2008, 01:28:50 pm »
haha funny as fuck ;D
I see that and I raise you
Left back is Tony Dunne. Even slower than Brennan. He goes on an overlap at twenty past three and doesn't come back until a quarter to four.
;D
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline sabbathfan

• Every Day I Like Sunday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why So Serious?
« Reply #107 on: February 5, 2008, 01:30:50 pm »
Excellent read that! ;D

"You're telling me we can't beat a team with only 3 players in it?"
There is probably no GOD. Stop worrying about it and LIVE your LIFE

Offline LadyLala

• Legacy Fan
  • la dee daa
    • lala's RED world
« Reply #108 on: February 5, 2008, 01:35:57 pm »
Helloooo everyone & Mr Ken-Obi, thank u for bumping this up (though I wonder what made u think of doing so suddenly?)!

Boss that.

Theres another one about Bobby Moore. Right after the 1970 World Cup I think it was, we were playing West Ham at Anfield. As in this story, Bill was waiting for the coach to arrive with the opposition on. After he's greeted them, he runs into Kevin Keegan.

"Christ son, I've just seen that Bobby Moore. What a wreck. He's got bags under his eyes, he's limping. He's got dandruff and it looks as if he has been to a nightclub again".

Bobby Moore goes on to win man of the match, but Keegan scores and Liverpool win. After the game, Bill calls Kevin to one side. " Aye, he's some player that Bobby Moore isn't he? You'll never play against anyone better than him".

Boss, the tales are endless about the man.

nice one, that. ;D
I never know how I'm supposed to respond to "What's up?"

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #109 on: February 5, 2008, 01:47:41 pm »
Helloooo everyone & Mr Ken-Obi, thank u for bumping this up (though I wonder what made u think of doing so suddenly?)!
I was thinking of you... so that popped up.

:P
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline leccyred

• Kopite
  • Luis Garcia - a Red through and through
« Reply #110 on: February 5, 2008, 01:59:41 pm »
Great read- thanks for posting it all.

Brilliant stories about Bobby Charlton and Mick Channon.

Offline Jamieladhero

• Boys Pen
« Reply #111 on: February 5, 2008, 02:06:58 pm »
Very interesting read. I wasn't around in Shanks time and its great to read of such a brilliant man and fantastic carachter.
Thanks for taking the time to put the stories on the website

Offline LadyLala

• Legacy Fan
  • la dee daa
    • lala's RED world
« Reply #112 on: February 5, 2008, 02:33:13 pm »
I was thinking of you... so that popped up.

:P

Yeah right. So you mean you only thought of me now? :P

Anyway yeah thanks for bumping it nevertheless. Re-reading it now reminded me of how Shanks played a such a huge role in Liverpool's history and made our club what it is today. And no matter what mess our club may be in right now, our club's certainly bigger than any moron(s) on the board. 
I never know how I'm supposed to respond to "What's up?"

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #113 on: February 5, 2008, 02:40:31 pm »
That's the second time I've read this and it's still class.
I love this bit.
The following season we were back at Anfield and Shanks was up to his old tricks. As the United party made their way down the corridor to the away changing room, he appeared from his office. 'Guess what, boys?' he said, brandishing a little orange ticket. 'I've had a go on the tickets that give the time when the away team will score. And it says here, in a fortnight!' With that, he disappeared back into his office.

We lost that encounter 2-0 and after the game I was chatting to Liverpool's Ray Clemence, who revealed to me another piece of Shankly kidology.

Prior to the game, Shankly had received the United team sheet and he incorporated it into his team talk. His intention was to run us down and, in so doing, boost the confidence of his own players. 'Alex Stepney,' Shanks began. 'A flapper of a goalkeeper. Hands like a Teflon frying pan - non-stick. Right back, Shay Brennan. Slow on the turn, give him a roasting. Left back is Tony Dunne. Even slower than Brennan. He goes on an overlap at twenty past three and doesn't come back until a quarter to four. Right half, Nobby Stiles. A dirty little -beep-. Kick him twice as hard as he kicks you and you'll have no trouble with him.'

'Bill Foulkes, a big, cumbersome centre half who can't direct his headers. He had a head like a sheriff's badge, so play on him. Paddy Crerand. Slower than steam rising off a dog turd. You'll bypass him easily.'

The Liverpool players felt as if they were growing in stature with his every word. 'David Sadler,' Shanks continued. 'Wouldn't get a place in our reserves. And finally, John Aston. A chicken, hit him once and you'll never hear from him again. As the manager finished his demolition job on United, Emlyn Hyghes raised his hand. 'That's all very well, boss,' he said, 'but you haven't mentioned George Best, Denis Law or Bobby Charlton.' Shanks turned on him. 'You mean to tell me we can't beat a team that has only three players in it?' he said, glowering.

;D

Offline novredder

• Kemlynite
  • Re re re red to the bone!
« Reply #114 on: February 5, 2008, 03:19:59 pm »
I think one ought to give Rafa and the foreign born players credit. They make the effort of learning a second lingo and sacrifice their comfort to come to a foreign land. RB to me is making maximum effort to learn all things Liverpool and it's commendable. I agree that wit cannot be taught in class, per se, but it can be picked. Who knows, it might even produce a future laughing point if Rafa's Spanish adds a Merseyside accent to it, much as Jan Molby's Merseyside English. The Spaniard might still end up with the last laugh.
YNWA, period!

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #115 on: February 5, 2008, 03:39:11 pm »

Would love to see Kenny actively back in the club and preserving Shanks' Boot Room legacy.  He showed in the Times interview with Fernando how inspiring his mere presence is for our current players.  Maybe having him around would put in that consistent winning mentality we've been missing.

Sigh, Shanks.   :scarf
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Oingy Boingy

• Bisquitts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: February 5, 2008, 03:40:15 pm »
thanks for that great post ...loved the bobby charlton bit had'nt heard that before
Indeed...

Offline yafoy

• lazy git - sabu pundit on pot
  • Legacy Fan
  • a RED who occupies Europe
    • EuRED Liverpool UNofficial Supporters Network
« Reply #117 on: February 5, 2008, 03:51:27 pm »
aye son, Shanks was/is a one-off and no matter who won what after or any stories you may hear about other managers of LFC - HE made it at all possible for thıs club to be the best in British football history - world renowned and feared throughout europe - there are legends saints gods then there is Shanks... ;)

"genius is born ..not bought!"....
Shanks: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and  death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. - At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it"

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2008, 10:52:55 am »
What a man. Still making the people happy.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2008, 11:17:17 am »
I miss him so much.
If he had said it's dark during the day and light at night, I'd have been going to school in the dark and going to bed at sunrise
God bless Bill
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century