Author Topic: RAWK Advent calendar #25: Gary McAllister vs. Everton, 16th April 2001  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
RAWK Advent calendar #25: Gary McAllister vs. Everton, 16th April 2001

Favourite goals are not the same things as the best goals - the result, opposition, stage of the season and even the venue obviously play a big part. So my very favourite goals are stunning strikes that secure a victory in a crucial game at the homes of our diehard opposition.  So it’s probably no surprise that out of the many goals I had to pick from, I’ve gone for a derby goal. 

I don’t like Everton, I don’t like a lot of their fans (when it comes to Everton, family members included), I never want us to play them in cup competitions and don’t understand the ‘nutters’ who hope for Everton during cup draws, it’s madness, twice a season  is more than enough for me. What I do like, however, is the unbridled euphoria that comes on the back of the victory, that feeling is as good as it gets, not just in football but in life, it’s what keeps us coming back for more despite the many lows we might feel along the way.  Its better again if the victory is on their turf and leaves them feeling hard done by, an angry Evertonian post-derby is the icing on the cake for me, I LOVE it and it makes the victory even sweeter!

My favourite goal really doesn’t have all that much competition – the day I witness a goal I love more than this one will be a very happy one indeed.

A trip across the park was just what the reds didn’t need in the middle of a crucial end of season run-in. Easter brought the traditional (at the time) two games in three days, with one of our nearest rivals for a Top 3 spot (which was what it took to get into the Champions League then) arriving in L4 on Good Friday followed by the Blues on Easter Monday, and then just another six League games of the season left after that. And three days after Goodison was to be the second leg of the UEFA Cup Semi-final against Barcelona at Anfield.

The Leeds game was not the ideal preparation for the derby, as we went two down to first-half goals from Rio Ferdinand and Lee Bowyer. Stevie G had his usual eventful match, giving the ball away in the run-up to Leeds’ second, pulling a goal back after the break, and then being dismissed following two yellow cards. That result left us six points behind the Yorkshire side, although we did have two games in hand.

The trip to Goodison was game number 54 of our campaign. To put that into context, that’s eleven more than we played in the whole of last season. Emile Heskey replaced Michael Owen in the starting line-up, while the Bitters were delighted by the return of Big Dunc, who had not lost any of the eight previous Liverpool (not Merseyside!) derbies he had featured in.

This article could wax lyrically about all the key incidents in the game, as it was one of those that had everything – penalties not given, scored and missed; yellow and red cards awarded and not; goals galore and near misses. In order to remind myself of some of the details I stumbled across a series of match reports written by Evertonians for ToffeeWeb. Ha ha ha! That was a treat. The best summary of the game on there was “for Evertonians – there is no justice”.

Suffice to say after a ding-dong battle, the game was 2-2 heading into stoppage time. Young French left-back Grégory Vignal had come on to replace Robbie Fowler late on, and having had a strong penalty shout turned down, went on a long run before being brought down by Niclas Alexandersson quite some way out of goal.

Or as someone on ToffeeWeb said, “With nothing left on the clock, we were attacking again when the ball got played out left and was handled by a Pink midfield player.  A couple more passes and it got handled yet again.  No free either time.  Then it got near midway in our half, out left, and they got a free kick for a maybe tackle.  Well, what’d you expect?” What’s with the pink stuff I don’t know.

Not that great a chance for a goal really, when you think about it. Gary Mac takes charge – this is the Gary Mac who had only scored once for the reds by this point of the season (against Coventry City at Anfield), although Evertonians had some reason to fear the baldy maestro as he’d previously netted against them for both Coventry and Leeds.

Still, the ball was 44 yards out by the time he’d placed it – I’m sure he pinched a yard or two, but I can’t locate a clip of that. The peroxide Sami Hyypiä is busy trying to drag defenders around as he was no doubt expecting a ball up in the air for him to get on the end of, while Vignal makes a nuisance of himself, keeping Michael Ball occupied.

I doubt anyone in the entire ground expected Gary Mac to do what he did – certainly it never crossed keeper Paul Gerrard’s mind. But what a piece of genius. He just guided the ball into the gaping hole that was the bottom corner. Cue pandemonium in the stands, and on the pitch. Sander Westerveld races out of his goal to join in the celebrations as the players head over towards the bench with Sammy Lee going absolutely mad, while Gérard Houllier cackles as though he can’t quite believe his eyes.

So on a day that is Gary Mac’s fiftieth birthday, here’s to my favourite ever Liverpool goal. Merry Christmas one and all!
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Advent calendar #25: Gary McAllister vs. Everton, 16th April 2001
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:43:20 am »
Gary McAllister had already won the heart of Kopites before he slipped this glorious free kick in. Apart from a cup final, this is must be one of the most famous derby goals in modern times?

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 09:58:00 am »
Watched it in a pub don't south, broke my watch celebrating...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 01:17:55 pm »
What a waste of money.. ;D...the Kop chanted his last match.

Ohhh, we love your baldy head...

What a goal that Derby goal was. Great Op.

And have a Great rest of Christmas one and all.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 01:41:21 pm »
btw..if you have lfctvgo, they've got a Gary Mac highlight goal package in honor of his 50th birthday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YugvLIbUmQM

If someone wants to embed that.. :P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 03:02:40 pm »
He's got no hair but we don't care... ;D

Happy 50th Macca
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline eurolines

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 03:23:02 pm »
We hadn't won there for like 10 years at the time had we? I remember that being one of the main reasons that goal is so revered.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 10:54:03 pm »
Personally I think you are missing the first phase of the goal. Before the final free-kick I remember Gary having a feign at a early long range loft which made the keeper move to the left to stop the header (not the same free-kick he scored from). The second and goal scoring free-kick was when Gary had made the keeper go left (from the last attempt) and quickly knock the long range punt into the back of the net.

GARY MACCA, GARY MACCA etc followed  ;D

Great writing on the OP though!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 11:13:44 pm »
I missed this game as I was travelling on a bus for 27 hours from Alice Springs to Townsville. Sat behind an old woman who wrapped herself in a bin liner and 'exorcised' the bus every time she got off and on it if I recall!

Babbel's goal and celebration was a bit Emlyn Hughes-ish too.

It meant finding out the result at an internet cafe, stduggling to take all the details of it in in the excitement. First time I saw the goal I couldn't believe it! Great game, great goal, great write up.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 12:17:37 am »
Was wondering if this gem would feature.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 12:54:53 am »
A great goal, and important for so many reasons. It looked like we had thrown away 3 points that day and we were all a bit pissed off as the match went into injury tiime but when he put it in it felt like we had won a cup final. It kickstarted a great run of form for both Gary Mac & ourselves and the rest is history as they say.

Like you say, these are the moments you live for and cherish as a fan.

Happy belated bday Gary Mac
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 02:57:13 am »
My friend and I jumped up and down like loons.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 08:22:22 pm »
I've been to loads and loads of Goodison derbies over the years, the majority of which have been in the Everton parts of the ground (remember the times when you had to get a voucher from the previous Everton home game to qualify for one?).

Anyway, this one game was the only one really where I have thought it really was going to kick off. I recall being in the lower Bullens Road, right at the back by the half way line. The were loads of meathead Bluenoses all over the place threatening all sorts of violence at the end of the game. I have to admit that I was a bit worried although the game was so important I really didn't care as long as we got a result.

I can't say I thought Gary Mac was going to score when the ball was placed on the deck. But, I did get that feeling down the back that something special was going to happen.

How true it was. Anyway, you know that feeling of unconfined joy when you just keep jumping and jumping and want to hug the nearest Red, well that seemed to go on forever  ;D

I think the whistle blue straight after and after clapping the team off, I realised that all those Bluenoses had cleared off in a huff  ;D

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 08:52:25 am »
I watched it in a pub on Lark Lane. Was so overjoyed, that I ran out of the pub screaming. Felt a bit sheepish when I walked back in, as the place was full of Everton fans, somewhat angered at my response. Joyous times.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 12:53:37 pm »
the day I witness a goal I love more than this one will be a very happy one indeed.

What a great line, this goal is up there amongst my all time favourites. Thanks Chris, it was a lovely read :wave

Offline sgt bilbo

• Main Stander
  • I have seen the light and it's red
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 10:11:45 am »
Was that the goal were Gary Mac is waving his arm around telling players he was going to put it to one side of the net and just put it in the empty spot left  ??? What a cracker that was... sheer class  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Paul_Nudge

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 10:13:21 am »
I've been to loads and loads of Goodison derbies over the years, the majority of which have been in the Everton parts of the ground (remember the times when you had to get a voucher from the previous Everton home game to qualify for one?).

Anyway, this one game was the only one really where I have thought it really was going to kick off. I recall being in the lower Bullens Road, right at the back by the half way line. The were loads of meathead Bluenoses all over the place threatening all sorts of violence at the end of the game. I have to admit that I was a bit worried although the game was so important I really didn't care as long as we got a result.

I can't say I thought Gary Mac was going to score when the ball was placed on the deck. But, I did get that feeling down the back that something special was going to happen.

How true it was. Anyway, you know that feeling of unconfined joy when you just keep jumping and jumping and want to hug the nearest Red, well that seemed to go on forever  ;D

I think the whistle blue straight after and after clapping the team off, I realised that all those Bluenoses had cleared off in a huff  ;D

Probably sat near us. We were in the Everton section of Lower Bullens, sat/stood there dumbfounded and gutted at the fact we'd dropped 2 points. We had a free-kick in a similar position about 3 minutes earlier, which Paul Gerrard saved Hyypia's header from. Then the last free-kick and I was urging Gary Mac to put it on Sami's head again, then he did what he did and we went berserk. Final whistle went and we climbed into the away section, saw Steven Gerrard in there with full Lacoste trackie on.
Moses said come forth, but we came first!