Author Topic: Tranmere Rovers  (Read 92800 times)

Offline Lommaren

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Tranmere Rovers
« on: May 2, 2011, 09:58:45 pm »
Might be an old thread about them, but let's congratulate them and their fans for staying up in League One this season, in spite of it looking really dire at one point. Hopefully we could start using them as a great place to loan more guys out - like an affiliate to us, where youngsters could mix training with our seniors and them, and then play matches for Tranmere. Would perhaps benefit both sides in the long run? Or what do I know.

They also have the legend John Welsh as captain, plus our dear old reserve keeper Tony Warner in goal. Not exactly Aldo touch, but good enough for that league I guess ;)

Anyway, well done to them!
« Last Edit: May 2, 2011, 10:00:21 pm by Lommaren »
"Been without you since May '94, tricks of the mind make it feel like it's more. But I'm not special it's the same for everyone" (Richard Marx)

Dedicated by me to the Spying Kop and Ayrton Senna!

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
Re: Tranmere Rovers
« Reply #1 on: May 2, 2011, 10:01:49 pm »
Might be an old thread about them, but let's congratulate them and their fans for staying up in League One this season, in spite of it looking really dire at one point. Hopefully we could start using them as a great place to loan more guys out - like an affiliate to us, where youngsters could mix training with our seniors and them, and then play matches for Tranmere. Would perhaps benefit both sides in the long run? Or what do I know.

Certainly! Well done Rovers. Not in a great state are they?

Did it the hard way but safe with a few games to go!

Offline Lommaren

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2 on: May 2, 2011, 10:03:28 pm »
Certainly! Well done Rovers. Not in a great state are they?

Did it the hard way but safe with a few games to go!

Heard they were close to administration at one point, a great shame were that to happen. Birkenhead deserves a team capable of League One at least IMO.
"Been without you since May '94, tricks of the mind make it feel like it's more. But I'm not special it's the same for everyone" (Richard Marx)

Dedicated by me to the Spying Kop and Ayrton Senna!

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2011, 06:28:40 am »
When you put your Physio in charge it's a miracle you survive relegation to be honest

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 05:38:33 pm »
Won 5-2 away today. They are looking good this year, happy for them.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 06:33:04 pm »
I have a serious soft spot for them.  By rights they should be the second team for any native scouser IMO, be they red or blue.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 06:50:52 pm »
Shows what you can do when you appoint a proper manager, & Tranmere had a good run towards the end of last season. I go to some Tranmere Midweek games with one of my mates. haven't been yet this season.

#Sausages

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 06:52:22 pm »
Robinson, 7 goals this season and he plays LM sometimes LB (I think?)

Offline Foster

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 06:54:51 pm »
Known Jake Kirby for like 8 years now, remember sitting in his when he got his youth contract. Made up to see him in that first team squad every week.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 06:55:34 pm »
Robinson, 7 goals this season and he plays LM sometimes LB (I think?)

He got booked after he scored last week, as he lifted his shirt up reveling another shirt which had justice for the 96 message on it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:58:56 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:34:57 pm »
When you put your Physio in charge it's a miracle you survive relegation to be honest

Bob Paisley and Nigel Adkins say hi

Offline Kop202

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 08:37:32 am »
I have always quite liked Tranmere. Probably because it is a local team and not really a rival to Liverpool playing in the second or third division most of the time. I occasionally go and watch a game. Once had a pint with a gentleman - and I don't use this word lightly - in their ground, who told me he has been a season ticket holder for 85 years. Most of their home games seem to either clash with ours or are in midweek.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 10:18:52 am »

They also have the legend John Welsh as captain, plus our dear old reserve keeper Tony Warner in goal. Not exactly Aldo touch, but good enough for that league I guess ;)

I suppose their manager had nothing to do with it
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 10:52:39 am »
Does this mean we're the 3rd best team on Merseyside at the moment then? :D
If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

:wave

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 04:41:52 pm »
absolutely flying. 3-2 up now against yeovil having been 2-0 down

Offline RuncornRed25

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 05:59:38 pm »
7 points clear now in League 1, good luck to em

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 06:16:46 pm »
I have always quite liked Tranmere. Probably because it is a local team and not really a rival to Liverpool playing in the second or third division most of the time. I occasionally go and watch a game. Once had a pint with a gentleman - and I don't use this word lightly - in their ground, who told me he has been a season ticket holder for 85 years. Most of their home games seem to either clash with ours or are in midweek.

85 years :D. How old is he? I probably need to search Tranmere's history a bit more but he must have followed them when they were amateurs?

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 11:34:29 pm »
85 years :D. How old is he? I probably need to search Tranmere's history a bit more but he must have followed them when they were amateurs?

In 1921 Tranmere were elected into the newly formed Division 3 North, before then they were in the Central League as Tranmere replaced Leeds City Reserves when Leeds City were expelled from all Football after financial irregularities. The Central League then was a mix of first teams & reserve teams until Division 3 North was formed.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tranmere_Rovers
#Sausages

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 12:22:50 am »
Made up for them, hopefully it continues. I live a couple of miles down the road from them but I was brought up a red. Never been to their ground, never cared, even when Aldo was in charge, shameful really. I'm deciding that them and Wrexham should be my other teams.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 05:11:28 pm »
Bottom of all 92 teams.  Sad to see given where they were at the turn of the century.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 05:51:38 pm »
Bottom of all 92 teams.  Sad to see given where they were at the turn of the century.

Hope they slide into oblivion. Always used to look out for their results until I had the misfortune to sit next to one of their supporters at the Echo arena for the 6-a-side thing they used to have. The prick acted like it was the fucking Champions League final rather than the bit of fun it was meant to be.

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 11:13:55 pm »
Hope they slide into oblivion. Always used to look out for their results until I had the misfortune to sit next to one of their supporters at the Echo arena for the 6-a-side thing they used to have. The prick acted like it was the fucking Champions League final rather than the bit of fun it was meant to be.
Yeah too fucking right..let's hope our local neighbours with their 90+ years of being in the football league slide into total oblivion just cos you had the misfortune to sit next to a bellend fan of theirs.
Fuck the fellahs who've forgone the glamour of the two top division sides 4 miles away (well one of them..!)and followed their team in the lower leagues for decades
Let's hope we never meet them in the century and whatever it is old FA cup ever again and their place is taken in the league by some English version of FC Ludogrets founded about 6 years ago and owned by some Oligarch or other...
No place in modern football for tradition is there

Personally always had a soft spot for our step cousins over the water...would be fucking awful if they dropped out the league. Remember the last time it nearly happened in the 80's. Had their biggest crowd in decades for the game that saved them before their relative rise and glory days in the 90's

Hoping for totally the opposite and their league survival
+6 ticket exchange

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014, 11:45:30 pm »

Know what you mean. Thank God there are no "pricks" supporting LFC, eh?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 02:20:03 pm »
One of my bestie's is a Rovers' fan.  Got a lot of love for that little club.  I really should make an effort to cross the water and watch them sometime.  Plenty other reds and blues should do the same imo.

Popcorn's Art

Offline kirkbywool

• Kopite
  • The futures bright, the futures red
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 02:39:04 pm »
Went to see Tranmere v Sheffield United the other year. Me and my mate thought they were singing blue and white army so joined in. Was only later on we realised the chant was actually super white army  :butt.

Always be my second club unless kirkby town gets resurrected so hope they stay up.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 03:44:13 pm »
Sacked their manager.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 04:23:45 pm »
Me and my mate used to go every game back when Aldo was in charge. It was only 3 quid (paid at the turnstyle) to get in if you were under 16, which made it a lot more realistic than going to Anfield for a couple of kids. Great way to keep us out of trouble on a Saturday afternoon.

Best memory was the 4-3 with Southampton, crazy game that.

I remember them in the playoffs for the Premier League in the 90s too, when John King was manager. Lost to Villa one year and West Brom(?) another time iirc. Sad to see how far they have fallen since then. I feel for them, hope they can work their way back up.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:25:23 pm by Slick_Beef »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 04:29:13 pm »
Me and my mate used to go every game back when Aldo was in charge. It was only 3 quid (paid at the turnstyle) to get in if you were under 16, which made it a lot more realistic than going to Anfield for a couple of kids. Great way to keep us out of trouble on a Saturday afternoon.

Best memory was the 4-3 with Southampton, crazy game that.

I remember them in the playoffs for the Premier League in the 90s too, when John King was manager. Lost to Villa one year and West Brom(?) another time iirc. Sad to see how far they have fallen since then. I feel for them, hope they can work their way back up.

The Villa defeat was in the League Cup Semi Finals and I think they won the first leg at Prenton Park and were only denied by a late goal in the 2nd Leg. One of the Play Off defeats was against Leicester I think.

Aldo, Kenny Irons, Johnny Morrisey, Pat Nevin - some good names back then!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 04:30:33 pm »
Remember my dad being well pissed off when Tranmere beat Everton in the FA Cup.  ;D

There's never a good time to let a manager go but when you're bottom of the entire football league it's a big worry.  They don't have the luxury of giving a manager time to bed in Brendan style.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Smithy_88

• Anny Roader
  • I Fucking Love Lucas....
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 04:56:53 pm »

What an absolute idiot you are.... because there's no knobhead Lfc fans then????? It must just be me that thinks alot of people in the Kop say ridicules things then.

Lets just hope they slide into oblivion with all the LFC connections and another local Merseyside team for some of our lads to go on loan to, or a place where we can get good talent from if needs be.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 05:05:05 pm »
95% of LFC fans I know are some of the biggest dickheads to walk the earth. All clubs have them to be honest, some more than others (Chelsea, Utd, Millwall, Leeds etc).

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 05:08:04 pm »
95% of LFC fans I know are some of the biggest dickheads to walk the earth.

RAWKs not that bad mate ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 05:12:56 pm »
Be really damaging if they get stuck in the Conference. Tough league to get out of.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 06:57:47 pm »
The Villa defeat was in the League Cup Semi Finals and I think they won the first leg at Prenton Park and were only denied by a late goal in the 2nd Leg. One of the Play Off defeats was against Leicester I think.

Aldo, Kenny Irons, Johnny Morrisey, Pat Nevin - some good names back then!

Ahh of course, it was the league cup. Villa went on to lose to the mancs I think? I vaguely remember Aldo got brought down by Bosnic when through on goal in the second leg but didn't get a foul, which seemed like an outrage at the time, although I was about 9 at the time and I've never seen it back since so I have no idea if it was a good decision on not ;D

Good to read those names again, good little team that!

Online jimbo196843

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2014, 07:48:20 pm »
I reckon Steve Coppell will be their new manager😜

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 10:41:58 pm »
Get Aldo back.
JFT97

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 11:10:32 pm »
Micky Adams going there it seems.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline livesound

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2014, 04:27:49 pm »
Don't really give a shit what happens too them to be honest but to see them relegated twice in two years would make me chuckle actually.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 02:45:14 pm »
They've got their first game under Micky Adams tomorrow night, might try and go watch it.  Ticket in their Kop for £15 isn't too bad, wish there was a concessions though so I could use my NUS card!
My Twitter

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 06:12:43 pm »
They've got their first game under Micky Adams tomorrow night, might try and go watch it.  Ticket in their Kop for £15 isn't too bad, wish there was a concessions though so I could use my NUS card!

Always thought this. With 3 universities across the river and a lot of young adults not able to go watch Liverpool or Everton due to Premier League prices you would have thought Tranmere would offer cheaper tickets for them to go to Prenton Park. What will it actually cost them seeing as they rarely get above 5k for a home match nowadays? It'd probably make them more money.