2 (8.7%)
Shite
1 (4.3%)
Totally Shite
6 (26.1%)
I like cheese!
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Boy Bands/Girl Bands  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Boy Bands/Girl Bands
« on: October 23, 2021, 09:51:54 am »
I honestly can't get my head around why anyone would ever like a boy/girl band. I think they are terrible.

Usually/always just manufactured tat by twats like Stock/Aitken/Waterman and their ilk with fucking terrible songs and dancy shite that to me seems to have very little to do with music, creativity or decency.

What do we think?

I think they are absolute twunt.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Boy Bands/Girl Bands
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 09:59:42 am »
Really weird because you’re definitely their target market Andy.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 10:03:31 am »
Really weird because you’re definitely their target market Andy.

I'm not talking about now particularly, I'm talking about when they first started popping up in the 80s.

I klnow there is an argument that the Beatles (and especially the Monkees) were 'boy bands' - but they were actual talented musicians (Well the Monkees weren't initially obviously :D  )

The ones I'm talking about are the ones that were dancers/singers that were formed to fill that gap in the 80s (or before!) and certainly after rather than talented individuals that formed into bands (good or bad)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 10:04:01 am »
I loved the Sugababes personally and they did some really good songs as well. The likes of Bananarama, All Saints, were fine. There were good ones and some awful ones just as in original bands. My music taste is diverse and takes in all kinds of genre. Each to their own.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 10:05:26 am »
I loved the Sugababes personally and they did some really good songs as well. The likes of Bananarama, All Saints, were fine. There were good ones and some awful ones just as in original bands. My music taste in diverse and takes in all kinds of genre. Each to their own.

I wouldn't class Bananarama in the same band as bands like Boyzone or Take that though - they seemed more organic They were mates that formed a band - they weren't a random collection of people that were pushed together by a record company.

The bands I'm talking about are the ones cynically created by record companies to cash in - not mates or musicians that formed a band.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 10:07:27 am »
I wouldn't class Bananarama in the same band as bands like Boyzone or Take that though - they seemed more organic They were mates that formed a band - they weren't a random collection of people that were pushed together by a record company.

I read your post above and now I'm completely confused!  ;D  It's a difficult one for me as I don't especially "like" Boyzone or Take That but I do like some of their songs and have them on my ipod.  :)

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 10:07:38 am »
I'm not talking about now particularly, I'm talking about when they first started popping up in the 80s.

I klnow there is an argument that the Beatles (and especially the Monkees) were 'boy bands' - but they were actual talented musicians (Well the Monkees weren't initially obviously :D  )

The ones I'm talking about are the ones that were dancers/singers that were formed to fill that gap in the 80s (or before!) and certainly after rather than talented individuals that formed into bands (good or bad)

Fair enough. :D

As ever , some are ok for what they are , even if it’s not your style of music. Others then jump on the bandwagon or are thrown together to make a record company executive more money and they’re usually shite!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 10:07:46 am »
Voted Great.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 10:08:43 am »
Andy’s next poll

‘As a 14 year old girl would you enjoy living in an old people’s home and potentially soiling yourself without knowing?’

‘Hell Yes’
‘No chance!’
‘What does soiling mean?’
‘Bananas or something suitably whacky’
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 10:13:09 am »
Andy’s next poll

‘As a 14 year old girl would you enjoy living in an old people’s home and potentially soiling yourself without knowing?’

‘Hell Yes’
‘No chance!’
‘What does soiling mean?’
‘Bananas or something suitably whacky’

You missed "I like cheese!"

:)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 10:23:50 am »
Is a manufactured boy/girl band any different than the Prog Rock ‘Supergroup’ or the trend for rehash of old hits under the guise of duets? I’m looking at you Elton John

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 10:29:02 am »
Is a manufactured boy/girl band any different than the Prog Rock ‘Supergroup’ or the trend for rehash of old hits under the guise of duets? I’m looking at you Elton John

Yeah I think so. Supergroups and people like Elton John were immensly talented and offered a lot to music.

I'm really talking about bands with zero actual musical ability rather than bands that could play that were formed/reformed

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 10:39:50 am »
Girls Aloud have some great songs.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 10:41:21 am »
I doubt you’d have any idea if any of the boy of girl bands actually have any ‘musical ability’ or not though. I can’t stand Gary Barlow but he’s pretty musically talented by all accounts.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2021, 10:42:14 am »

Amongst all the dross there are indeed some absolute bangers produced by boy and girl bands. I’ll let Tubby list them first.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2021, 10:43:04 am »
Vanilla had some great songs.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2021, 10:44:37 am »
Vanilla had some great songs.

Now I know you’re just being facetious there. Even as a Vanilla Superfan I’m humble enough to admit it’s just the one great song. But better one than none hey?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 10:47:52 am »
Yeah I think so. Supergroups and people like Elton John were immensly talented and offered a lot to music.

I'm really talking about bands with zero actual musical ability rather than bands that could play that were formed/reformed

They evidently do have some musical ability though, even if it isn't to yours or my taste.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 10:51:12 am »
There are some talented writers and producers who would never be able to front a commercial band in a million years. There are also physically attractive young people who can sing, sometimes dance but who could never remotely write a song by themselves or say anything meaningful. People in both groups want to make money and teenage girls want to listen to uncomplicated music made by physically attractive people. It's not complicated and sometimes, as with Girls Aloud or NSync, it results in bangers.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2021, 10:59:48 am »
Now I know you’re just being facetious there. Even as a Vanilla Superfan I’m humble enough to admit it’s just the one great song. But better one than none hey?

Ha ha touché.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2021, 11:06:20 am »
fuck corporate whores

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2021, 11:16:40 am »
Was that the Sex Pistols? Yeah they were a bit boy bandy

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2021, 11:19:00 am »
Was that the Sex Pistols? Yeah they were a bit boy bandy

Ginger Pistol was the best.

Favourite boyband? Toss up between 5ive and East17 for me. I do like a badboy.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2021, 11:28:01 am »

Billy Idol's Generation X?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2021, 11:31:17 am »
Echo the comments about some great songs by such groups.

Don't understand the interest in BTS currently tho.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2021, 11:35:02 am »

East17 were ace.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2021, 11:42:09 am »
Backstreet Boys had some big ones, and some catchy songs too

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2021, 11:44:44 am »

:D

A couple of them looked about 40 even when they started out. Definite whiff of a couple of teachers filling in to make up the numbers.

But Backstreet’s Back and Larger Than Life. Boom.

One sub genre of boy bands that will always an unacceptable are the Wet Lettuce Balladeers. Westlife the prime example. Awful.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2021, 11:44:49 am »
;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2021, 12:09:47 pm »
East17 were ace.

Were East 17 even a boy band in the traditional sense?  They're basically The Prodigy but with pop tunes.  One genius songwriter, one vocalist and a couple of dancers.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2021, 12:11:05 pm »
I honestly can't get my head around why anyone would ever like a boy/girl band. I think they are terrible.

Usually/always just manufactured tat by twats like Stock/Aitken/Waterman and their ilk with fucking terrible songs and dancy shite that to me seems to have very little to do with music, creativity or decency.

What do we think?

I think they are absolute twunt.

Fucking hell you need a bus pass to join this thread....SAW?!!!?.
..retitle thread ' 1985 in music....'

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2021, 12:43:20 pm »
Were East 17 even a boy band in the traditional sense?  They're basically The Prodigy but with pop tunes.  One genius songwriter, one vocalist and a couple of dancers.

To be fair, it wasn't me who brought them into this thread. But I agree I don't class them as a boy band in the sense of what this thread is about.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2021, 12:47:20 pm »
I loved the Sugababes personally and they did some really good songs as well. The likes of Bananarama, All Saints, were fine. There were good ones and some awful ones just as in original bands. My music taste is diverse and takes in all kinds of genre. Each to their own.

Oh i liked the Sugarbabes too but their music was gash.

Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2021, 12:47:55 pm »

No they dont.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2021, 12:48:57 pm »
The Beatles where a boyband.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2021, 12:49:08 pm »

Overload is a great tune and Freak Like Me is a really good cover/mash up.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2021, 12:50:22 pm »

How dare you! I have loads of their songs on my ipod, so there.  :D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2021, 12:51:53 pm »
How dare you! I have loads of their songs on my ipod, so there.  :D

I watch them with the sound off ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2021, 12:53:33 pm »
I watch them with the sound off ;D

But then, you've always been a weird one.  ;D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!