Author Topic: Sam Fender  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Sam Fender
« on: October 14, 2021, 08:03:00 pm »
Not bad, is he?

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: Sam Fender
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 08:13:15 pm »
Not bad, is he?
Very fuckin good actually
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 08:20:51 pm »
Yep, he is very good.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 08:34:55 pm »
Very fuckin good actually

His new album is pretty incredible in my opinion.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 08:40:24 pm »
Who?

???
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 09:55:31 pm »
Not bad, is he?
Spit of You really hits the feels.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 09:58:10 pm »
Spit of You really hits the feels.

Absolutely lovely. Even though obviously he's done it from a father / son point of view, it really speaks to me even though I'm a woman, my relationship with my dad is... not the best, and these days we only really enjoy each other's company when we're in a pub getting shitfaced, but I still love him.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:59:49 pm by Snail »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 10:27:40 pm »
RAWK delivers yet again. Another find to add to the plethora of new music I've discovered through the worlds most excellent football forum.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 12:52:44 am »
Never heard of him so checked him out in the hope it was someone new I'd like - sadly it's a massive thumbs down from me sorry - he seems a really nice guy from his interviews but has that horrible in vogue singing style with over-exaggerated vowels and his songs are really bland generic whiny shite. I give him one star - bland dull and non descript.

Next...

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 01:31:09 am »
Just had a listen to those linked videos. Unlike Beardy I enjoyed what I heard. Whether enough to suck me in not sure. Will give them another go. Crazy how easy it is these days with You Tube to sample artists. No fucking gambling with hard earned dosh on backing a possible winner involved any more. Just click the fucking link.  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 01:50:47 am »
I'd never heard of him, so went onto YouTube to have a look. I think the guy definitely has something. The song 'Spit of You' was particularly poignant for me.

Another called 'That Sound' had The Cure vibes in the intro, which I liked.

His stuff overall (from what I saw/heard) is not something I'd go out and buy, but I think I'll be able to pick some stuff out of his I can listen to. I'll be making a compilation CD soon for a drive when we have a few days away. 'Spit of You' will be going on that.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 10:07:33 am »
Listen to Radio X a bit when working and they played a lot of his first album quite heavily. Only heard the first song from his new one. His songs definitely grow on you, Hypersonic Missiles was good.

Don’t think he’s going to change the world but you can tell he has some pretty decent influences and he’s got something about him. More energy and power than most make solo artists you get these days.

And he has Super Hans in one of his videos which is always a good thing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:12:31 am by BIG DICK NICK »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 10:20:57 am »
He seems to be a mix of Brandon Flowers, Bruce Springsteen and War on Drugs.

I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 10:31:15 am »
He seems to be a mix of Brandon Flowers, Bruce Springsteen and War on Drugs.

I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not.
Except not nearly as good as any of them. His album is very good though. The Killers and Brandon Flowers were what my mind first jumped to upon hearing him.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 11:35:21 am »
Oh man.

https://youtu.be/WAifgn2Cvo8

https://youtu.be/xoODq7Ol1so

https://youtu.be/lBycsPt2Ous

What a fucking set of pipes.

The music video for Spit Of You with Stephen Graham is phenomenal.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xoODq7Ol1so" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xoODq7Ol1so</a>

Absolutely lovely. Even though obviously he's done it from a father / son point of view, it really speaks to me even though I'm a woman, my relationship with my dad is... not the best, and these days we only really enjoy each other's company when we're in a pub getting shitfaced, but I still love him.

Families are tough, I've not spoken to my dad for years and now I'm in the perpetual 'its been too long' phase.  :butt The song absolutely killed me to be honest.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 11:39:18 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 06:25:51 pm »
Forgot to post this belter, probably the best song off the new album:

"Aye"
https://youtu.be/o5p8dGHELOc

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2021, 06:44:22 pm »
Forgot to post this belter, probably the best song off the new album:

"Aye"
https://youtu.be/o5p8dGHELOc
Yeah I love that one and Get You Down which follows it are probably my two favs off the new album

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 07:00:00 pm »
bland dull and non descript.

Next...

Yea, perfectly sums him up, just as it does for the majority of popular acts these days

I often find it a great shame when talented musicians play dull, unimagitative tunes
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 07:08:28 pm »
It is all a bit run of the mill, stuff that’s been done before but better.  It wouldn’t make me want to smash up the wireless if it was on, but I wouldn’t rush out to but his album, or even stream it.  Makes me want to bump the Sonic Youth thread.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 07:53:29 pm »
Seventeen going under is quickly becoming one of my current favourites, not really listened to any of his other songs yet though

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2021, 01:10:08 pm »

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2021, 02:14:17 pm »
Read that guardian interview with him from about a month back and he seems a thoroughly switched on, thoughtful, intelligent and decent guy. He´s got a belter of a voice for sure and some catchy songs. That said the style of music really isn´t my cup of tea. But its good to see a modern and popularly acclaimed artist singing about meaningful stuff and not just utter cliched shite. It´s a shame it can´t be matched by doing something a bit more musically interesting because he clearly has the talent

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2021, 02:41:31 pm »

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2021, 09:45:25 pm »
Can't wait to see this fella live man, so good.

https://youtu.be/QDZdZNidB24

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2021, 10:44:01 am »
Okay so I've now gone and given his album a couple more listens, following my initial surface listening. He's really good, a lot better than I initially gave him credit for and whilst he's not really doing much to push any boundary's, he's offering really catchy tunes, with sharp, foundational guitar play and some really witty colloquial writing, without coming across as a dickhead like someone such as Gerry Cinnamon.

His music itself gives me Killers vibes as well as bands like Nothing But Thieves - and whilst people are pigeonholing him somewhat with Indie Landfill like The Snuts, Blossoms etc, I think his writing sets him aside as a different beast - it's a very specific type of working class upbringing he's singing about, that will have familiarity to anyone from the North who grew up in poverty - Seventeen Going Under is quite exceptional in this way. Lyrically he's like a less-laddish early Arctic Monkeys in the way he writes about the working class experience for lads of a certain era. The stuff about his Ma and the DWP certainly hit a note with me.

So yeah, I was underplaying him a bit before as an enjoyable but throw away indie/rock/pop act with a 6/10 album. Upgrade it more to like an 8/8.5, he's smashed it.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 05:24:02 am »
Man's good at covers.

Metallica:

https://youtu.be/vWaSIKcRbDg

Amy Winehouse:

https://youtu.be/H0TNRBI8ZaM

Lindisfarne:

https://youtu.be/lBycsPt2Ous

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 07:03:27 am »
^^^^^They are great. His voice is incredible and puts his own mark on them. Didn´t realise how sad those Metallica lyrics actually were.

He is a real talent. If he can keep on in that more interesting vain in regards to instrumentation then he will really make his mark.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2022, 08:22:23 am »
^^^^^They are great. His voice is incredible and puts his own mark on them. Didn´t realise how sad those Metallica lyrics actually were.

He is a real talent. If he can keep on in that more interesting vain in regards to instrumentation then he will really make his mark.

Big Jeff Buckley vibes with that Back to Black cover imo, he's boss.

(My fella fancies him as much as I do)

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2022, 08:38:51 am »
I was far too scared to hit him, but I would hit him in a heartbeat now

https://youtu.be/qft4Zvh41fg

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2022, 09:08:57 am »
Robson Green doing a little cameo in a fab song:

https://youtu.be/tr9GJ-hFN7I

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2022, 01:33:44 am »
Okay so I've now gone and given his album a couple more listens, following my initial surface listening. He's really good, a lot better than I initially gave him credit for and whilst he's not really doing much to push any boundary's, he's offering really catchy tunes, with sharp, foundational guitar play and some really witty colloquial writing, without coming across as a dickhead like someone such as Gerry Cinnamon.

His music itself gives me Killers vibes as well as bands like Nothing But Thieves - and whilst people are pigeonholing him somewhat with Indie Landfill like The Snuts, Blossoms etc, I think his writing sets him aside as a different beast - it's a very specific type of working class upbringing he's singing about, that will have familiarity to anyone from the North who grew up in poverty - Seventeen Going Under is quite exceptional in this way. Lyrically he's like a less-laddish early Arctic Monkeys in the way he writes about the working class experience for lads of a certain era. The stuff about his Ma and the DWP certainly hit a note with me.

So yeah, I was underplaying him a bit before as an enjoyable but throw away indie/rock/pop act with a 6/10 album. Upgrade it more to like an 8/8.5, he's smashed it.

Listened to his latest album today after reading this post, had similar reservations to begin with but have to say it’s a solid album. Not his biggest fan but can at least see the talent and appeal.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2022, 09:03:40 pm »
This is so lovely, and he's lowkey a fab guitarist.

https://youtu.be/OXbhV61du90

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2022, 10:46:17 pm »
The lad can play his guitar.
Probably, certainly does Dancing in The Dark better than the man himself.

Caught it late last year, is there a part when he sings about a mother and he seems emotional at the beginning or is that just me? Dunno.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #34 on: February 1, 2022, 10:02:20 pm »
The lad can play his guitar.
Probably, certainly does Dancing in The Dark better than the man himself.

Caught it late last year, is there a part when he sings about a mother and he seems emotional at the beginning or is that just me? Dunno.

Are you thinking of The Borders?

Oh your godmother / repaired the anger in me / spoke to me like I was an adult / didn't take sides and didn't turn me against my dad / and then she took those pills / and now she's gone

But there's also the bit at the end of Seventeen Going Under about him contemplating dealing drugs to help his ma who was struggling cos she was off work through illness.

She said the debt, the debt, the debt / so I thought about shifting gear / and how she wept and wept and wept / well luck came and died 'round here / I see my mother / the DWP see a number / she cries on the floor encumbered / I'm seventeen going under

The stuff with his ma and benefits etc. is a recurring theme in his songs. He's good. Anyway, here's him covering Ariana Grande and having lovely arms.

https://youtu.be/Jq2eJ27Va3g

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 1, 2022, 11:07:51 pm »
Meant to say, he was on the One Show yesterday if you want to catch it on iPlayer.

(sorry, don't remember exactly which song, I'd have to listen again)

« Last Edit: February 1, 2022, 11:12:10 pm by John C »

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #36 on: February 5, 2022, 01:39:40 am »
As someone who's lost three childhood friends - all male, all under the age of 25 - to suicide over the past decade, and as someone who's struggled with anxiety and depression for my entire adult life, this song could have been written for me. Or you. Or your mate, or your family member, Best song off the album imo.

https://youtu.be/dFKCGZgDXiI

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 5, 2022, 11:02:18 am »
As someone who's lost three childhood friends - all male, all under the age of 25 - to suicide over the past decade, and as someone who's struggled with anxiety and depression for my entire adult life, this song could have been written for me. Or you. Or your mate, or your family member, Best song off the album imo.

https://youtu.be/dFKCGZgDXiI
Thanks for posting that, never heard all the lyrics to that song properly. Powerful stuff and delivered brilliantly. I absolutely love his voice. One of the best around right now.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #38 on: February 9, 2022, 09:23:38 pm »
Thanks for posting that, never heard all the lyrics to that song properly. Powerful stuff and delivered brilliantly. I absolutely love his voice. One of the best around right now.

Saw some weirdo on Facebook this morning getting up in arms about him winning his Brit, "he's never played Download so how can he be rock, they just sound like the Killers" hahaha, ffs.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2022, 04:14:50 pm »
Saw some weirdo on Facebook this morning getting up in arms about him winning his Brit, "he's never played Download so how can he be rock, they just sound like the Killers" hahaha, ffs.
Nah, it's fine, he doesn't write pop music in the typical sense so why not. Coldplay being in there as a nominee on the other hand...