Author Topic: His Dark Materials - TV Series [Please use Spoiler tags]  (Read 17455 times)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Re: His Dark Materials - TV Series
« Reply #40 on: December 9, 2019, 08:43:54 pm »
Not really my sort of thing, but enjoying it. Had to google where I'd seen Mrs Coulter before in that annoying just can't place the face way.
Looking forward to next episode, tempted to read the book just so i don't have to wait.
Not sure about the gyptian complaints. Thought the name and general vibe obviously made them 'Romany' style characters, but having had no real contact with gypsy type folk I don't see that their characterisation is way off. No moreso than perhaps the ministry chaps being from a religious order.  Lorek's voice is great.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2019, 10:13:12 pm »
Wow, that was a cool episode concluding into an exciting finale next week, for this series. The animation is fantastic, the fight between the bears was like one of those BBC wildlife films. The way Lyra is developing is really interesting, she is getting quite cunning. I am still very intrigued about the lad in the real world and how he is coming into the next series.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2019, 11:24:22 pm »
Agree with that. Great episode.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2019, 11:14:48 am »
Agree with that. Great episode.

Absolutely.  Probably my favorite thing on the tele at the moment.  I'm a bit gutted that there's only one episode left, but apparently season 2 was filmed before season 1 even aired, so hopefully it won't be too long a wait.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2019, 01:56:40 pm »
Wow, that was a cool episode concluding into an exciting finale next week, for this series. The animation is fantastic, the fight between the bears was like one of those BBC wildlife films. The way Lyra is developing is really interesting, she is getting quite cunning. I am still very intrigued about the lad in the real world and how he is coming into the next series.
Thanks, it felt like a penultimate episode.
For those that have read the books, does this complete a book. ie not a massive cliffhanger? Actually probably spoilers if you answer that , I'll just wait and watch.
It didn't seem a huge deception by lyra. I guess bears aren't that good at spotting a fib.

Not keen on the scenes in the 'real' world. I assume they'll tie up nicely, but really don't need them.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2019, 03:16:03 pm »

It didn't seem a huge deception by lyra. I guess bears aren't that good at spotting a fib.

Not keen on the scenes in the 'real' world. I assume they'll tie up nicely, but really don't need them.

Armoured Bears are more or less impervious to being tricked, but because Iofur Raknison is obsessed with being as human as possible as is predominantly greedy, Lyra offering him something he desperately craves blinded him to the trick.

It does mention all this in the series but doesn't dwell on it - I probably noticed it because I've read the books and was slightly looking out for it.

I also preferred the bear fight in the film - Iorek smashing Iofur's jaw off was iconic (and how it happens in the book), whereas this tv adaptation had a bit of wrestling, punching and biting, but the actual death was hidden. Also, in the book and film, Iorek tricks Iofur into thinking he's more hurt than he is - which I took as Iorek realising that Lyra tricked Iofur, so perhaps he also could.

The 'our world' scenes are necessary. Will only appears in book two, but the TV series has spliced his backstory into series 1, which I think works much better
Spoiler
Will meets up with Lyra in the second book
[close]
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2019, 04:35:48 pm »
In the book Iofur had a doll as a daemon if i remember right, which highlights his desire for one even more. They seemed to have ignored the fake daemons in the tv show

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2019, 09:10:16 pm »

Armoured Bears are more or less impervious to being tricked, but because Iofur Raknison is obsessed with being as human as possible as is predominantly greedy, Lyra offering him something he desperately craves blinded him to the trick.

It does mention all this in the series but doesn't dwell on it - I probably noticed it because I've read the books and was slightly looking out for it.

I also preferred the bear fight in the film - Iorek smashing Iofur's jaw off was iconic (and how it happens in the book), whereas this tv adaptation had a bit of wrestling, punching and biting, but the actual death was hidden. Also, in the book and film, Iorek tricks Iofur into thinking he's more hurt than he is - which I took as Iorek realising that Lyra tricked Iofur, so perhaps he also could.

The 'our world' scenes are necessary. Will only appears in book two, but the TV series has spliced his backstory into series 1, which I think works much better
Spoiler
Will meets up with Lyra in the second book
[close]

I think he was faking being hurt in the episode, but it wasn't clear because he leapt up to defend Lyra, rather than just surprising Iofur.

And the "bears can't be tricked" thing was mentioned, but probably didn't have much of an impact because we're also told that Iorek was tricked (without going into much detail), and then Iofur is tricked as well.
Been a while since I read the book, but I remember it giving a bit more attention - I think there was a bit with Lyra trying and failing to deceive Iorek?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2019, 02:20:46 pm »
Isn't it the last episode tonight? I am going to miss this show glad we have a second series to look forward too though.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2019, 10:29:56 pm »
Oh my, I am pretty broken after that.  :'(  Poor Roger, all the time I kept thinking Lyra would rescue her friend in time but when she didn't I wasn't ready for the moment at all. Wonderful acting by all concerned the meeting of Lyra's parents too was well done. I thought at one stage she would agree and go with him. I also thought Lyra and Will would meet, but it wasn't to be but at least they will in the next series now. I can't wait the second series, the animation, acting and writing has been really enthralling and I'm going to miss it next week. The BBC has taken a lot of hits recently but well done for this it's been a real worthwhile series.  :)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2019, 10:37:07 pm »
So when the Magisterium attacked what brought down the airship and we're all the Bears killed in the attack?

Or are we into chains territory? ;)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2019, 10:38:23 pm »
So when the Magisterium attacked what brought down the airship and we're all the Bears killed in the attack?

Or are we into chains territory? ;)

I'd forgotten about the Bear, even more broken now you mean person.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 7, 2020, 09:31:27 pm »
Series two begins tomorrow night on BBC1, can't wait.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #53 on: November 9, 2020, 08:07:32 am »
The quality of this show has improved significantly. I've seen the first three episodes of series 2, the second episode especially was a standout.

But then, The Subtle Knife always was my favourite of the three novels. I remember reading them all years ago when I started Uni - and being absolutely enamoured with them.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2020, 07:31:25 am »
Anyone else watching?

The casting of Mary Malone is spot on!

I'm liking the second series a lot more than the first so far, but some of it still feels rushed.

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2020, 09:18:51 am »
Watched the first series and really enjoyed it but not seen the first episode of the second series yet but will watch it this weekend
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2020, 08:10:22 pm »
First episode was great.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2020, 09:10:48 pm »
The quality of this show has improved significantly. I've seen the first three episodes of series 2, the second episode especially was a standout.

But then, The Subtle Knife always was my favourite of the three novels. I remember reading them all years ago when I started Uni - and being absolutely enamoured with them.

Leaked ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2020, 09:13:28 pm »
Loved the first one of the new series starting to getting excited about how they will put future events to film. When it starts to be revealed what it's really all about with the Prophecy

They did tame down the witch torture scene, no removing of teeth or finger nails there is some very violent/gory stuff in the book's most they have cut out so far I guess to make it more family friendly.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2020, 09:15:03 pm »

Leaked ?

Not to my knowledge.

I'm a journalist and cover films and series for a newspaper (not in the UK). I was very recently granted access to HBO's screening room, which is where they upload the first few episodes of upcoming shows or new series ahead of their premiere for press.

I've now seen the first five episodes of series 2 of His Dark Materials - the remaining three don't get screened in advanced for press.

There's also this new HBO show called The Undoing with Hugh Grant and Nicole Kidman. The first five episodes were uploaded for press, which in this case is all of them bar the finale. So I've seen enough to get a good impression of that show, without finding out yet who the murderer is. Which is fair and square.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:18:16 pm by emergency exit »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2020, 09:17:28 pm »
Not to my knowledge.

I'm a journalist and cover films and series for a newspaper (not in the UK). I was very recently granted access to HBO's screening room, which is where they upload the first few episodes of upcoming shows or new series ahead of their premiere for press.

So I've actually seen the first five episodes of series 2 of His Dark Materials now - the remaining three don't get screened in advanced for press.

Is there 8 now I thought they lost 1 because they had to stop filming because of Covid

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2020, 09:17:46 pm »
Not to my knowledge.

So I've actually seen the first five episodes of series 2 of His Dark Materials now - the remaining three don't get screened in advanced for press.

Nice job.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2020, 09:18:28 pm »
Is there 8 now I thought they lost 1 because they had to stop filming because of Covid

Shows 7 on pogdesign

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2020, 09:19:09 pm »

Oh, the one with Asriel/James McAvoy? Was that part of the original 8 that they announced? Would be a real shame :-(

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2020, 09:21:08 pm »

Nice job.

Thanks - but I recently got made redundant due to covid :-/

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2020, 09:23:07 pm »
Oh, the one with Asriel/James McAvoy? Was that part of the original 8 that they announced? Would be a real shame :-(

Yes that's what they said they lost maybe it will be added to the 3rd series somehow.

I was hoping they managed to finish it during the Summer months but maybe he had other commitments then

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2020, 02:48:16 pm »
Coolest moment saw far in the show, was Lyra's Demon turning into a Honey Badger in the last episode.

They are the hardest most fearless animal in the animal kingdom. :D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2020, 03:39:39 pm »
Out of interest: How many in here are watching this without having read the books?

And: Were you familiar with the major Hollywood adaptation that came out in 2006? If yes: Did you prefer the first series of the BBC/HBO show to it?

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2020, 05:46:34 pm »
Out of interest: How many in here are watching this without having read the books?

And: Were you familiar with the major Hollywood adaptation that came out in 2006? If yes: Did you prefer the first series of the BBC/HBO show to it?
I haven't read them.

I binged the 1st season last week in time for the 2nd season.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2020, 06:07:25 pm »

I've read the books and I prefer the BBC adaptation.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2020, 03:50:54 pm »
Keep your eyes open in tomorrow’s second episode for a cameo of a very special location ;)

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2020, 01:06:19 pm »
Keep your eyes open in tomorrow’s second episode for a cameo of a very special location ;)

Spoiler

:'(  :'(  :'(

[close]

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2020, 02:42:08 pm »
Yes! I saw this the other day and then immediately got sad.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2020, 08:22:47 pm »
Loved that episode, warming up really nicely now.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2020, 08:54:01 pm »
Another great episode, having to fight the urge to watch the last three episodes of this show on iplayer. The relationship between Lyra an Will is really good, its all building nicely. The sets and locations as ever are lovely to look at, the animation still really good the Pan-Wil moment was one of my highlights.  :-\ Then Terrence Stamp turning up, had no idea he had a part in this. My only problem with Andrew Scott is I still see him as Moriarty and I was half-expecting Sherlock to show up.  :-[

Offline Bcnsean

• Main Stander
« Reply #75 on: December 4, 2020, 08:52:09 pm »
Another great episode, having to fight the urge to watch the last three episodes of this show on iplayer. The relationship between Lyra an Will is really good, its all building nicely. The sets and locations as ever are lovely to look at, the animation still really good the Pan-Wil moment was one of my highlights.  :-\ Then Terrence Stamp turning up, had no idea he had a part in this. My only problem with Andrew Scott is I still see him as Moriarty and I was half-expecting Sherlock to show up.  :-[
The whole series is on iPlayer?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 5, 2020, 10:35:22 am »
The whole series is on iPlayer?

Series one is available on iplayer, got over-excited about series two, thought they were showing the last three episodes, but only on a week to week basis. 😀

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #77 on: December 6, 2020, 09:26:24 pm »
What a brilliant tense episode tonight and loved the speech about how the different worlds treat women.

And Dr Malone is on her way so excited will we see a glimpse of the Mulefa in this series (if you haven't read the books don't goggle it)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: December 6, 2020, 09:34:27 pm »
What a brilliant tense episode tonight and loved the speech about how the different worlds treat women.

And Dr Malone is on her way so excited will we see a glimpse of the Mulefa in this series (if you haven't read the books don't goggle it)

It has been a fantastic series this, can't wait to see tonight's episode.  ;D

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 6, 2020, 10:09:16 pm »
It has been a fantastic series this, can't wait to see tonight's episode.  ;D

Haven't watched the second season yet, but liked the first one a lot, and was particularly impressed with the Iorek. I needed persuading on Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby, some of the casting from the film was so perfect, Eva Green as the witch, Sam Elliot as Lee Scoresby, Daniel Craig as Asriel and Nicole Kidman as Mrs Coulter were all perfect. The girl in this version is great though.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends