Author Topic: FitBit  (Read 8936 times)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
FitBit
« on: July 7, 2016, 04:21:40 pm »
Looking for a FitBit (or something similar) that I can wear whilst playing football to monitor heart rate and measure sprints etc. Can anyone recommend something that does this at a decent price? I really don't need the additional features of being able to send messages from my iphone or anything like that! Literally just want it for football

Thanks

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: FitBit
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2016, 04:59:21 pm »
I'd be interested in such a thing as well. Would something you wear on your wrist be able to measure sprints and distance traveled accurately with all the arm movement involved? Would it need to be one of those training bra deals that the players wear for things like that?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2016, 05:22:28 pm »
You after something you look at afterwards once syncing with your phone/tablet? Or something you can see in real time on your wrist?

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2016, 06:20:01 pm »
You after something you look at afterwards once syncing with your phone/tablet? Or something you can see in real time on your wrist?
Afterwards mate.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #4 on: July 7, 2016, 09:23:44 pm »
I bought my wife a withings for her birthday and she loves it. A lot better looking than a fit bit.

Offline macdadi112

• Boys Pen
« Reply #5 on: July 8, 2016, 12:12:27 am »
Order a fit bit of aliexpress.com.

I've got one and so have my mates.

Just as good as the expensive ones.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #6 on: July 8, 2016, 05:33:48 am »
I bought my wife a withings for her birthday and she loves it. A lot better looking than a fit bit.
What she looks like is irrelevant to the OP. [emoji51]

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7 on: July 8, 2016, 09:47:15 am »
I've got a Fitbit Charge HR

I've lost 10 kgs since I got it (about 5 months ago)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: July 8, 2016, 10:09:47 am »
I've got a Fitbit Charge HR

I've lost 10 kgs since I got it (about 5 months ago)

What's it helped with in particular that not having it wouldn't have happened? I've always thought about getting one but not sure how much use it would be!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: July 8, 2016, 12:24:01 pm »
What's it helped with in particular that not having it wouldn't have happened? I've always thought about getting one but not sure how much use it would be!

I've got a few friends on the friends list. So we are competing with each other all the time. I walk around 8 miles a day more - and walk up and down stairs a lot more. I'm generally top of the heap and when people get ahead of me, I go out and walk even more!

Also you can set up 'events' where you compete over a weekend or during the week or during work hours.

Also, it prompts you to get up and walk 250 steps every hour during your working day.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #10 on: July 8, 2016, 12:46:52 pm »
What she looks like is irrelevant to the OP. [emoji51]

well played

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 10:10:02 am »
I've got a few friends on the friends list. So we are competing with each other all the time. I walk around 8 miles a day more - and walk up and down stairs a lot more. I'm generally top of the heap and when people get ahead of me, I go out and walk even more!

Also you can set up 'events' where you compete over a weekend or during the week or during work hours.

Also, it prompts you to get up and walk 250 steps every hour during your working day.

I'd second this as a reason - seems to make you more conscious of moving around. Weekends me and the wife are hardly ever taking the car out now, its walk everywhere to get ahead of friends on step counts etc

Small, and silly - but it helps. Think I've lost half a stone since getting mine in April.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 01:50:09 pm »
Going to be buying a Fitbit Surge after pay day. I think the guilt of not completing the 10k step challenge daily will get my fat arse in gear!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 11:23:40 am »
The only thing I'd say is DO NOT HAVE A SHOWER WEARING ONE OR GET IT WET.

I'm on my third one and I think showering is what wrecked them. The first one lasted a couple of months and then the mechanism 'stuck' and it turned itself on and off in excercise mode constantly. I returned it to Argos for a no-hassle return.

The second one, I think, got wet and the bracelet bubbled and the battery stopped charging properly. I contacted Fitbit and they sent me a replacement. Again, no major hassle.

I'm on the third on and it's fine so far, but I'm not taking showers with it - so! Fingers crossed!

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 01:00:42 pm »
Haha - I was thinking the other day a way of recording swimming workouts....
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 06:13:21 pm »

I'm on my third one and I think showering is what wrecked them. The first one lasted a couple of months and then the mechanism 'stuck' and it turned itself on and off in excercise mode constantly. I returned it to Argos for a no-hassle return.

The second one, I think, got wet and the bracelet bubbled and the battery stopped charging properly. I contacted Fitbit and they sent me a replacement. Again, no major hassle.

I'm on the third on and it's fine so far, but I'm not taking showers with it - so! Fingers crossed!

I've always found Fitbit's customer service to be excellent.

I lost one once, contacted them to see if I could buy a replacement unit (I didn't need the charger etc. so was hoping to get it a bit cheaper) but they replaced it free of charge. I know others who have had similar experiences as well

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 09:11:27 pm »
Wouldn't mind tracking exercise somehow but I have no interest in the social aspect of these. I basically want to know how far I've run, how fast I go at certain points and how many calories I've burned. Maybe heart rate if that's possible too. I'm aware there's many different options available to buy, so any advice as to which one may suit my needs?

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 10:33:49 am »
Wouldn't mind tracking exercise somehow but I have no interest in the social aspect of these. I basically want to know how far I've run, how fast I go at certain points and how many calories I've burned. Maybe heart rate if that's possible too. I'm aware there's many different options available to buy, so any advice as to which one may suit my needs?

The charge HR would be best.

Though can you not get a MapMyRun app on the phone?

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 01:23:13 pm »

A new version has just been released - the Charge 2.

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 04:43:55 pm »
Anyone using alternatives to FitBit?
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 07:14:31 pm »
Order a fit bit of aliexpress.com.

I've got one and so have my mates.

Just as good as the expensive ones.

Theres quite a few on there mate - which one do you recommend? Basically looking for a stepcounter that also tells the time.
Mate, with all due respect, you are an absolute fucking fruit case -MOZ

Seriously mate - You post such utter fucking gash with such conviction it's quite spell binding. - Alan_X

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our change into rain is no change at all.
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 07:45:11 pm »

Though can you not get a MapMyRun app on the phone?

The phone would be best for speed and location but awkward to lug around, plus I wouldn't want it getting hit by the ball.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 07:47:23 pm »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 08:08:57 pm »
These (and some other brands) were put to the test on Trust Me, I'm a Doctor last week, for anyone shopping around :wave

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07tlh25

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 08:40:32 pm »

Yep they don't like water, or it appears heat. The strap on mine bubbled while in Zante and has since fallen apart. I've got it taped up with insulation tape until I can get around to ringing them for a replacement.

I've always found Fitbit's customer service to be excellent.

I lost one once, contacted them to see if I could buy a replacement unit (I didn't need the charger etc. so was hoping to get it a bit cheaper) but they replaced it free of charge. I know others who have had similar experiences as well

Wish I'd known that, my wife lost hers months ago.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline macdadi112

• Boys Pen
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 08:43:47 pm »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 11:12:54 am »
It seems that Fitbit have finally realised they have a real problem with the wrist straps, so the new models come with replaceable wrists straps (I'm hoping at least one of those isn't going to be plastic which should last much longer!)

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 01:09:32 pm »
I second that...

I bought the Mi band 1S. Has heart rate monitor etc but no app to view the data with on iphone unless your jailbroken!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 09:22:04 pm »
It seems that Fitbit have finally realised they have a real problem with the wrist straps, so the new models come with replaceable wrists straps (I'm hoping at least one of those isn't going to be plastic which should last much longer!)

Rang customer services on Tuesday and they're sending me an Alta as they don't do the charge any more. Good to see it comes with the replaceable straps.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2016, 01:47:29 am »
Ordered a miband 2 - anyone know where o get english instructions?
Mate, with all due respect, you are an absolute fucking fruit case -MOZ

Seriously mate - You post such utter fucking gash with such conviction it's quite spell binding. - Alan_X

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2016, 03:09:17 pm »
So how do these work? Do you have to have a mobile with you (which I preferably wouldn't want to have to) or can you go for it and then once you get back it uploads the data so that you can check it out? Been thinking of getting one of these, but not sure which one to get. I wouldn't need any social media/messages/email and other unnecessary things, just something to keep track whilst doing sports mainly.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2016, 04:04:45 pm »
or can you go for it and then once you get back it uploads the data so that you can check it out?

This is how is works. Sync with your phone via Bluetooth when you fire up the app. The device itself records the data in the meantime.

The basic versions are just glorified pedometers whilst the more advanced/expensive ones have heart-rate monitors which are decent whilst not perfect.

A basic one will estimate your daily calorie burn based on number of steps. A more advanced one will factor in how long you have a raised heartbeat in order to better calculate calorie burn.

You set yourself a goal (e.g. 10,000 steps a day or 2,000 calories burned) and it will buzz when you reach that goal.

The app will show daily statistics which is quite handy.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2016, 06:00:16 pm »
This is how is works. Sync with your phone via Bluetooth when you fire up the app. The device itself records the data in the meantime.

The basic versions are just glorified pedometers whilst the more advanced/expensive ones have heart-rate monitors which are decent whilst not perfect.

A basic one will estimate your daily calorie burn based on number of steps. A more advanced one will factor in how long you have a raised heartbeat in order to better calculate calorie burn.

You set yourself a goal (e.g. 10,000 steps a day or 2,000 calories burned) and it will buzz when you reach that goal.

The app will show daily statistics which is quite handy.
Cheers .adam. Sounds good that. Looks like I shouldn't get a basic one then, could just get a pedometer for that ;D Which one are you using, the FitBit one?

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2016, 06:07:47 pm »
Oddly, none of them!

My missus has the Charge HR. She loves it and it has certainly made her more aware of how much (or little) she is doing in a day.

There is a new Charge 2 coming out very soon which replaces the Charge HR. It has slightly better tech in it including using assisted GPS by piggybacking on your phone's GPS system when you have it nearby.

Probably worth reading a review of the Charge 2 and deciding if it's worth shelling out £120 for or saving a bit of cash and getting a Charge HR instead.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2016, 08:56:03 pm »
Cheers again .adam! Will check them both out.

Also saw that you mentioned the Xiaomi Mi Band 2, is it worth a punt as well?

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2016, 05:26:35 pm »
Been looking at the Withings watches, mostly because they look like something I could actually wear in a formal environment without questions. Any experience with them? Do you think their upcoming model adds enough to justify the price?
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #36 on: October 1, 2016, 10:39:50 am »
If you're serious about tracking your heart rate during exercise, then you need a chest strap HRM. Wrist mounted optical HRMs have their place in motivating people to exercise more etc, but they aren't very accurate at all. I have a Fitbit Charge HR which I use to track my sleep and daily activity, but I use a Garmin Fenix 2 with a chest strap HRM for my running. The Fitbit's wrist-based optical HRM can often be out by a factor of about 25%.

As far as measuring steps goes, Fitbits also chat shit (as do all the other brands of fitness trackers). For instance, I was credited with 500 steps for doing some typing, 300 for mixing a cake, 50 for driving home from work, 50 for scanning my shopping on a self service till, and 100 for sitting on the sofa stroking the dog for ten minutes. That's 1000 steps in one day that I didn't take but that the Fitbit thinks I did. It is still useful for comparing how much activity you did today as compared with yesterday, and lots of people (my mum is one) find it very motivational to set a goal and achieve it every day, but don't take any figures that come out of it seriously.

For the original poster's purposes, I think a Garmin, Suunto or Tomtom running watch with a proper HRM fits the bill better than a fitness tracker.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2016, 10:42:47 am by ۩ Imperator ۩ »
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #37 on: October 2, 2016, 12:34:02 am »
If you're serious about tracking your heart rate during exercise, then you need a chest strap HRM. Wrist mounted optical HRMs have their place in motivating people to exercise more etc, but they aren't very accurate at all. I have a Fitbit Charge HR which I use to track my sleep and daily activity, but I use a Garmin Fenix 2 with a chest strap HRM for my running. The Fitbit's wrist-based optical HRM can often be out by a factor of about 25%.

As far as measuring steps goes, Fitbits also chat shit (as do all the other brands of fitness trackers). For instance, I was credited with 500 steps for doing some typing, 300 for mixing a cake, 50 for driving home from work, 50 for scanning my shopping on a self service till, and 100 for sitting on the sofa stroking the dog for ten minutes. That's 1000 steps in one day that I didn't take but that the Fitbit thinks I did. It is still useful for comparing how much activity you did today as compared with yesterday, and lots of people (my mum is one) find it very motivational to set a goal and achieve it every day, but don't take any figures that come out of it seriously.

For the original poster's purposes, I think a Garmin, Suunto or Tomtom running watch with a proper HRM fits the bill better than a fitness tracker.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #38 on: October 2, 2016, 09:51:22 am »
:(
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 4, 2016, 01:52:37 pm »
Just incase no-one has ever looked in there, the iPhone health app tracks your steps and keeps a record so if you wanted the fitbit to do that then you've already got one.