Author Topic: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread  (Read 165605 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread
« Reply #880 on: November 20, 2021, 11:59:59 am »
I moved from Sky to Virgin last year, I’d have stuck with Sky but the new build we moved into are all pre-wired for Virgin and getting a dish up would have been a pain.

I can’t see any differences in picture quality on HD, and I’d even go as far to say that Virgin upscales SD a bit better than Sky Q did. No Sky Sports UHD on Virgin though.

In terms of pricing, they’re all more savvy on retentions than they used to be, they need to be convinced you’re actually leaving before the best offers roll in.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #881 on: November 20, 2021, 12:12:20 pm »
I moved from Sky to Virgin last year, I’d have stuck with Sky but the new build we moved into are all pre-wired for Virgin and getting a dish up would have been a pain.

I can’t see any differences in picture quality on HD, and I’d even go as far to say that Virgin upscales SD a bit better than Sky Q did. No Sky Sports UHD on Virgin though.

In terms of pricing, they’re all more savvy on retentions than they used to be, they need to be convinced you’re actually leaving before the best offers roll in.

Thanks mate.

In your opinion, do you think there is much difference between UHD and HD for Sky Sports? Is it worth paying extra and getting UHD with Sky?

We did a broadband speed check and Virgin is much better (100mbps compared to 30ish mbps with Sky) so pretty much certain i'll go with Virgin, it's just down to the TV now!

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #882 on: November 20, 2021, 12:16:03 pm »
Yeah the UHD is excellent. It was supposed to come to Virgin earlier this year but hasn’t materialised yet, but it is on the way.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #883 on: November 20, 2021, 01:11:41 pm »
The other option, aside from going with Virgin for broadband and TV (£70/80 a month) would be to get broadband with Virgin for £25 and TV with Sky, but i bet this would cost alot unless I could haggle and get for £40/£45?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #884 on: November 20, 2021, 05:00:23 pm »
Sky UHD is brilliant and you do get a lot on sky sports, sky channels like one/atlantic/arts, films etc. I don't know what the offering is like for UHD on virgin but I know they have the BT UHD. So, prem or CL is what it comes down to ;D

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #885 on: November 20, 2021, 05:19:02 pm »
I don't know what the offering is like for UHD on virgin but I know they have the BT UHD.

It’s crap really. BT Sport Ultimate and one Virgin UHD channel with barely anything on it.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: November 21, 2021, 06:34:37 pm »
It’s crap really. BT Sport Ultimate and one Virgin UHD channel with barely anything on it.

Ugh, Sky still refusing to share content then. Though from Sky's point of view, they'll be keeping customers like me by refusing to share so it probably keeps a bit of USP. I've seen they're doing proper fibre speed internet now as well so once that gets to our area I'll be able to simplify and get everything on one bloody package.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #887 on: November 21, 2021, 10:59:59 pm »
The main thing I'd be careful of Danny is that Sky are fucking liars.
They'll tell you something is free in the package. And then when you phone up say 2 months later for an upgrade or something different, to make it seem cheap they'll say they'll reduce the price or give you thing thats free for free or for less.

No you told me that was included you lying twats.

They reduced my equivalent package with Virgin which was all that mattered to me, I'd been with virgin for 30 years and they didn't give two fucks about me leaving after trying to get about 90 notes a month off me.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #888 on: November 22, 2021, 09:13:07 pm »
The main thing I'd be careful of Danny is that Sky are fucking liars.
They'll tell you something is free in the package. And then when you phone up say 2 months later for an upgrade or something different, to make it seem cheap they'll say they'll reduce the price or give you thing thats free for free or for less.

No you told me that was included you lying twats.

They reduced my equivalent package with Virgin which was all that mattered to me, I'd been with virgin for 30 years and they didn't give two fucks about me leaving after trying to get about 90 notes a month off me.

Thanks for the heads up John. I still have no clue who to opt for :-\

What would you guys suggest? I basically need good internet and then Sky sports and BT sport in HD or UHD (don't want to pay more than £75 a month). Virgin will do everything for £76 a month, will call Sky tomorrow and see what I can get them down to.

The woman at Virgin said all BT Sport is in UHD.. can anyone confirm this?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #889 on: November 22, 2021, 10:48:47 pm »
There’s BT Sport 1, 2 and 3 all in HD. Then BT Sport Ultimate which is their UHD channel. On CL nights they will pick one match to broadcast in UHD. Sometimes it’s ours sometimes not.

As well as pricing do consider customer service. Virgin are diabolical to deal with.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #890 on: November 22, 2021, 10:52:10 pm »
Thanks for the heads up John. I still have no clue who to opt for :-\

What would you guys suggest? I basically need good internet and then Sky sports and BT sport in HD or UHD (don't want to pay more than £75 a month). Virgin will do everything for £76 a month, will call Sky tomorrow and see what I can get them down to.

I think I'm paying £73 with Sky for that package (which also includes Netflix). If you can get that of Virgin that's a reasonable deal, they wanted to hike mine mate.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #891 on: November 23, 2021, 10:04:42 pm »
I think I'm paying £73 with Sky for that package (which also includes Netflix). If you can get that of Virgin that's a reasonable deal, they wanted to hike mine mate.

£73 for broadband and TV with Sky is a very good deal! I called them today and because the internet is not great we talked about just TV and he said around £65.. broadband with Virgin is £25 so thats £90 a month - not a chance! Thinking of just getting it all with Virgin for around £75ish unless Sky call me back with a better offer..

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: November 24, 2021, 06:23:20 pm »
£73 for broadband and TV with Sky is a very good deal! I called them today and because the internet is not great we talked about just TV and he said around £65.. broadband with Virgin is £25 so thats £90 a month - not a chance! Thinking of just getting it all with Virgin for around £75ish unless Sky call me back with a better offer..

My contract ended with Sky about two months ago and I renegotiated for £58 a month for 18 months inc sport , movies and the box sets just no Bt , have BB with Virgin at £28 a month

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #893 on: December 6, 2021, 10:21:00 pm »
I signed up with Sky today and got this deal - https://ibb.co/sykdKw6

On the phone he said the total would be £61.80 but this adds up to £63.80, I'm just checked it again and can see he has listed 'Sky Sports HD' twice!

Shall I ring them up tomorrow? I was also planning on cancelling so I can try save more money but not sure how to go about this, can anyone help? Oh and lastly, I did say I wanted BT Sport in HD but above it doesn't say this..

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #894 on: December 7, 2021, 02:18:34 pm »
Sky are taking the piss. Sports package is due to expire soon. Via the My Sky app they are suggesting: Usual sports packages, BT Sport, LFC TV, Cinema, Atlantic etc and broadband and landline (which we don't use) for more than £150!

Haven't called them yet.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #895 on: December 7, 2021, 04:32:22 pm »
Sky are taking the piss. Sports package is due to expire soon. Via the My Sky app they are suggesting: Usual sports packages, BT Sport, LFC TV, Cinema, Atlantic etc and broadband and landline (which we don't use) for more than £150!

Haven't called them yet.

Does that include Netflix. I dont have cinema or LFCTV, but I have the rest of that with them in UHD plus multi room for £92
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #896 on: December 7, 2021, 04:58:15 pm »
Does that include Netflix. I dont have cinema or LFCTV, but I have the rest of that with them in UHD plus multi room for £92
Includes Netflix. Don't have UHD or multi room!

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #897 on: December 8, 2021, 07:31:50 am »
Just a follow up to my post on Monday regarding Sky and BT Sport 4K UHD. Is it true Sky only offer BT sport in HD and not 4K UHD? When I signed up on Monday the rep said BT Sport is in UHD however in previous posts and researching online that doesn't seem true, can anyone confirm? And having said that, what channels do BT sport have in UHD?
« Last Edit: December 8, 2021, 07:38:29 am by Danny Singh »

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: December 8, 2021, 07:47:04 am »
BT haven’t made their UHD channel available to Sky as of yet. There’s only one BT Sport channel that’s UHD which is BT Sport Ultimate

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #899 on: December 8, 2021, 07:55:58 am »

Haven't called them yet.

That’s shite. Mine has gone far too high, was obviously on some deal that has reverted to full price. Hate the way they are some of those things they offer sound like they’re doing you a huge favour.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #900 on: December 8, 2021, 08:01:08 am »
Morning Graeme.

My Sky package includes BT Sport (£21.20) but as it doesn't have BT Sport Ultimate, i'm thinking of getting rid of this now and buy the BT monthly pass for £25 instead, which includes Ultimate. I'll then download the BT Sport app on my smart tv (Sony A80J) and have access to Ultimate in 4K, is that right?
« Last Edit: December 8, 2021, 08:03:58 am by Danny Singh »

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #901 on: December 8, 2021, 09:17:57 am »
That’s right, however you won’t have the ability to record or rewind etc. Being able to record the match and then maybe watch it slightly delayed is quite important for me. It’s also dependant on a decent broadband connection. I’ve got 600Mb fibre to the property but some providers apps can still struggle a little with the load. I’d rather have HD via the Sky Q box than 4K via the App.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #902 on: December 8, 2021, 10:00:12 am »
My broadband with Virgin is only 100mb fibre, do you think that will cause issues when streaming from the App? And is there much difference between the HD and 4K via the App

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: December 14, 2021, 11:22:40 am »
I've just phoned them to try and sort ours, best offer I heard was £84 and considering people in here on very similar packages saying £60-odd I told her that wasn't good enough ;D anyway, she said there'll be better offers in the run up to Christmas (I guess it's usual end of month sales targets) and to try then.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #904 on: December 14, 2021, 02:39:40 pm »
Best thing I've found is to give them notice and cancel.  Once you're in your 30 day cancellation period offers appear within your account, last time round the offers that appeared within my account were way better than what they were offering over the phone.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #905 on: December 14, 2021, 04:39:35 pm »
Best thing I've found is to give them notice and cancel.  Once you're in your 30 day cancellation period offers appear within your account, last time round the offers that appeared within my account were way better than what they were offering over the phone.

I renewed with Sky about a month ago but had to have a proper go at them, they were charging me £72 a month, was going to go up to £82 a month but a new customer could get the identical package for £55. Ranted at them that I was a loyal customer for 5 years etc so they offered me £69 first which I rejected and said I definitely want to cancel, then put me through to the cancellation team and ranted at them about my loyalty, the lady then explained to me that they have a policy of treating loyal customers better then new (funny how they don’t advertise this!) so she offered me £53 which I gladly accepted.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: December 14, 2021, 05:55:42 pm »
Apple + TV coming to Sky (for no additional cost I hope) is a good thing.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #907 on: December 14, 2021, 10:20:16 pm »
Its on our Sky box now, £4.99 a month or you can login to your existing subscription.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #908 on: December 14, 2021, 10:32:33 pm »
Its on our Sky box now, £4.99 a month or you can login to your existing subscription.
Forget that then. How many separate things do they want to charge for!?

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #909 on: December 17, 2021, 01:10:16 pm »
I renewed with Sky about a month ago but had to have a proper go at them, they were charging me £72 a month, was going to go up to £82 a month but a new customer could get the identical package for £55. Ranted at them that I was a loyal customer for 5 years etc so they offered me £69 first which I rejected and said I definitely want to cancel, then put me through to the cancellation team and ranted at them about my loyalty, the lady then explained to me that they have a policy of treating loyal customers better then new (funny how they don’t advertise this!) so she offered me £53 which I gladly accepted.
Nicely done.  I have the same dance with Sky every November, it just wastes everyone's time.  It's a shame they can't just stamp my account with "argumentative prick - offer best rate on renewal" and be done with it.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #910 on: December 17, 2021, 01:29:52 pm »
Do you all have Sky Q these days? My box doesn’t even connect to t’internet. Tried the other day but it doesn’t have a WBS button and can’t connect the box to the router.

Not sure whether to just bite the bullet and get Sky Q but moan enough to try and get a reasonable deal.

Offline The Last Known Survivor

• Anny Roader
« Reply #911 on: December 17, 2021, 02:36:35 pm »
Do you all have Sky Q these days? My box doesn’t even connect to t’internet. Tried the other day but it doesn’t have a WBS button and can’t connect the box to the router.

Not sure whether to just bite the bullet and get Sky Q but moan enough to try and get a reasonable deal.

I was in the same situation and changed to then Q box definitely worth it in my opinion. I rang up and said I wanted to cancel and they kept trying to get me to stay and eventually I accepted a deal for less than I was paying on the other box

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #912 on: December 17, 2021, 02:37:59 pm »
I was in the same situation and changed to then Q box definitely worth it in my opinion. I rang up and said I wanted to cancel and they kept trying to get me to stay and eventually I accepted a deal for less than I was paying on the other box

Thanks. Do they do the set up? I’d be pretty inept I think and the wifi connection on our tv is a bit dodge.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: December 17, 2021, 02:39:08 pm »
Thanks. Do they do the set up? I’d be pretty inept I think and the wifi connection on our tv is a bit dodge.
Yep they came and set up mine. Be good idea for them to take your old box imo.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #914 on: December 17, 2021, 03:06:44 pm »
They have to change something on the dish for Sky Q so it’s definitely an engineer job.

How close is your router to your tv and Sky box, can’t run a wired connection?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #915 on: December 17, 2021, 06:10:37 pm »
They have to change something on the dish for Sky Q so it’s definitely an engineer job.

Yeah, I think it has extra connections or something cos you can do more simultaneous records. Wasn’t it 2 on the old boxes but 4 on Q? Talking shite, probably.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: December 17, 2021, 06:19:30 pm »
Yeah, I think it has extra connections or something cos you can do more simultaneous records. Wasn’t it 2 on the old boxes but 4 on Q? Talking shite, probably.
No I think that’s more or less it. They have to change something called an LNB so it can handle/pick up what it needs to and convert to signals.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #917 on: December 17, 2021, 06:19:57 pm »

How close is your router to your tv and Sky box, can’t run a wired connection?

The router is in a cupboard under the stairs in the hall because that’s where the main phone line to the house was put in. Makes perfect sense. So can’t run a cable between the two.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: December 21, 2021, 11:22:36 am »
The router is in a cupboard under the stairs in the hall because that’s where the main phone line to the house was put in. Makes perfect sense. So can’t run a cable between the two.

Sky say you can’t use homeplugs but I am and it’s fine.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #919 on: December 21, 2021, 01:24:36 pm »
Sky say you can’t use homeplugs but I am and it’s fine.

As in connect the cable from the sky box to one of those plugs with a cable port and wifi booster?