Author Topic: 'Sopranos' fans- S6 and general gubbins in here. No Spoilers.  (Read 277032 times)

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: 'Sopranos' fans- S6 and general gubbins in here. No Spoilers.
« Reply #2240 on: October 3, 2021, 08:33:54 pm »
Yeah I saw it in the cinema last week myself and enjoyed just being back in "Sopranos land" but didn't think a whole lot of it as a film.

Spoiler
I also don't see how you'd get Tony killing Dickie, as much as I think it would've been a fine twist, given the fugazi nature of Tony dealing with it, getting Chris to kill that copper. But Junior gets the call at the payphone, it isn't young Tony's voice on the phone. I get someone else could've called but even moreso, Tony was a little bit of a pussy to be honest. He went from being unable to accept stolen speakers to murdering the guy who gave them to him in cold blood in a couple of weeks? Na, I don't buy it. Plus we see Tony waiting in the diner for Dickie, who never arrives. Why go wait in the diner, peering out the window if you've killed the guy the night before?
[close]

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #2241 on: October 3, 2021, 09:59:48 pm »
Yeah I saw it in the cinema last week myself and enjoyed just being back in "Sopranos land" but didn't think a whole lot of it as a film.

Spoiler
I also don't see how you'd get Tony killing Dickie, as much as I think it would've been a fine twist, given the fugazi nature of Tony dealing with it, getting Chris to kill that copper. But Junior gets the call at the payphone, it isn't young Tony's voice on the phone. I get someone else could've called but even moreso, Tony was a little bit of a pussy to be honest. He went from being unable to accept stolen speakers to murdering the guy who gave them to him in cold blood in a couple of weeks? Na, I don't buy it. Plus we see Tony waiting in the diner for Dickie, who never arrives. Why go wait in the diner, peering out the window if you've killed the guy the night before?
[close]

Good point about the diner, I completely blanked that bit out!

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #2242 on: October 4, 2021, 04:45:05 pm »
Watched it last night and loved it.
I thought both the young Tony's did a great job and Vera Farmiga, who played his Mum was very impressive.
Junior and co did well too.

A must for any Soprano fan.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #2243 on: October 4, 2021, 09:51:33 pm »
You guys are like animal Blundettos, spoliers please!

Saw it myself, mixed feelings. was 75% a great film. i dunno if it was the original editing or the covid delay (i understand it was on the shelf for a year) but there was an epic in there somewhere. Thought the Dickie Moltisanti actor was superb btw. Overall in the sopranosverse there has to be more planned surely? Gandolfini jr et al could certainly pull of a future movie or show?

I feel like this film should've been 4 hours, and edited completely differently. Having said that i really enjoyed it  :)
YNWA

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2244 on: October 4, 2021, 10:17:47 pm »
David Chase signed a 5 year deal with HBO a few days ago. Given his coy answers to recent interview questions about making more Sopranos-related shows, I'd say we're definitely getting more prequel stuff.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2245 on: October 5, 2021, 10:04:36 am »
David Chase signed a 5 year deal with HBO a few days ago. Given his coy answers to recent interview questions about making more Sopranos-related shows, I'd say we're definitely getting more prequel stuff.

He was on Talking Sopranos and pretty much squashed the idea of a show.

He's not a spring chicken anymore(76) and was due to direct saints but had a "family health issue"

He's said he'd do a film with Winter, but he also said he doesn't "own" it so Warner Bros. could do something without him.

Online Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2246 on: October 5, 2021, 11:44:51 am »
He was on Talking Sopranos and pretty much squashed the idea of a show.

oh  :(
wonder what he's doing with HBO then
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2247 on: October 21, 2021, 03:33:55 pm »
Well, sounds like he's doing a Sopranos prequel series after all.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/the-sopranos-david-chase-hbo-max-prequel-series-1234859438/

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2248 on: October 21, 2021, 03:40:41 pm »
Well, sounds like he's doing a Sopranos prequel series after all.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/the-sopranos-david-chase-hbo-max-prequel-series-1234859438/

That quote from him is direct from talking sopranos where he literally said he's no interest in a series and would only do a movie " if Terry and I worked on it"

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #2249 on: October 21, 2021, 04:22:47 pm »
Near the end of Season 3 again, just got through Pine Barrons.

Now it is a good episode and probably has some of the funniest lines in the whole show, but it is a bit 'meh' and shouldn't for me be at top of any greatest episode lists.

Think that Amour Fou which is the next episode is better for example. The scene with Carm and Gloria, Jackie's arc, Tony and Gloria etc
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2250 on: October 21, 2021, 05:07:45 pm »
That quote from him is direct from talking sopranos where he literally said he's no interest in a series and would only do a movie " if Terry and I worked on it"

Well, no interest until HBO Max offered him some of that sweet streaming wars money. They'll pay him an absolute fortune to do a new series in the 'Sopranos universe' (yuck) even if it's just a miniseries rather than something that goes for multiple years.

Online Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2251 on: October 21, 2021, 05:48:31 pm »
Ann Sarnoff, CEO, Studios and Networks, WarnerMedia, told Deadline that the company was “thrilled” with the results of The Many Saints of Newark.

“We’re talking to David about a new series, Sopranos related, on HBO Max,” she said.

Chase said that if he was to return to The Sopranos world, any such potential story would take place after the film, which is set in the late 1960s and 1970s and before the original series, which starts around 1998. “There’s only one way that I would do it, and that was if Terry [Winter] and I could write the script together. That I would do.”

Get the fuckin team back together and let's do this. Definitely hoping for a series rather than film though.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #2252 on: November 11, 2021, 10:26:59 pm »
Finally got round to watching the movie and all in all I quite enjoyed it. I won't rush back to watch it, but I will watch it again down the line. It started a touch slow and the second half was much better than the first. Some parts didn't work, some worked very well, and some had unused potential, and in some ways it was a slap-dash montage of may different things.

Some of the acting performances were really good (although I thought Silvio's character was a parody), and the twist at the end was both surprising and unsurprising if that makes sense. As I said, I enjoyed it more as it went along but I do agree that it set up so much better for a series because there just wasn't enough time to go into detail of all the different characters.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2253 on: November 12, 2021, 08:17:16 pm »
Just watching it first time myself, only fifteen minutes in. Most of the characters pretty spot on but yeah…Silvio :lmao How the fuck did they even get past one scene without going ‘Ok nah tone it down by 90%’
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #2254 on: November 12, 2021, 10:54:06 pm »
Just watching it first time myself, only fifteen minutes in. Most of the characters pretty spot on but yeah…Silvio :lmao How the fuck did they even get past one scene without going ‘Ok nah tone it down by 90%’

Interestingly Steven Van Zandt, the guy who plays Silvio, originally went in for the part of Tony Soprano. Would have been a very different show to say the least  :D

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2255 on: November 13, 2021, 07:03:22 am »
Interestingly Steven Van Zandt, the guy who plays Silvio, originally went in for the part of Tony Soprano. Would have been a very different show to say the least  :D

As did Michael Rispoli - Chase really liked him and essentially wrote Jackie Snrs part for him.

Van Zandt was reluctant to get involved as he had no major acting experience at the time (for those that don't know Van Zandt is in Springsteen's E Street Band)

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #2256 on: November 13, 2021, 07:46:48 am »
Has anyone done the Sopranos tour around New Jersey?
 https://onlocationtours.com/new-york-tv-and-movie-tours/sopranos/

Was it worth the money and effort? I know you don’t get to go to Tony’s house which is one of the most iconic locations and looking at that on google maps makes me think it is not good manners to stroll up to someone’s front door/ probably not possible even ….. not sure I want a 4 hour trip to see sights from the credits plus the bada bing.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2257 on: November 13, 2021, 08:02:40 am »
Is there anything still there?

Satriale's has gone (a parking lot I hear), the Bing isn't called that as in real life it's a different name. I've not been, wouldn't see the point

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2258 on: November 13, 2021, 12:00:03 pm »

Was it worth the money and effort? I know you don’t get to go to Tony’s house which is one of the most iconic locations and looking at that on google maps makes me think it is not good manners to stroll up to someone’s front door/ probably not possible even ….. not sure I want a 4 hour trip to see sights from the credits plus the bada bing.

I did the tour back in 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

You go to were Satriales was and a few other locations, visit the Bada Bing, and visit Holsteins were you got some onion rings and got to sit in Tony's booth. (they even played don't stop believin'). The tour was hosted by an actor who'd made some small appearances on the show. And whilst in the coach going from site to site they played relevant clips from the show whilst the guide talked about it.

So if you're a fan of the show I thought it was a great way to spend an afternoon.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 05:18:22 am by John_P »
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #2259 on: November 13, 2021, 03:22:20 pm »

I done the tour in 2014? I think, when the SuperBowl was in New York. It was freezing but it was really good. The tour guide was an extra on the show and an actor/writer with other things and he's really engaging. In between stops he'll do a question and answer kind of thing, a quiz, tell you stories from the set and so on. So that passes the time quite easily.

You don't just go to the Bing, you go to quite a few other places too. When I done it at the end we had Joe Gannascoli (Vito) come and take photos and he lifts his trunk and basically harasses you to buy some of his books or whatever :D

I really enjoyed it, it didn't seem like four hours if that's how long it was.

EDIT: Just noticed John_P's post from above. Yeah, basically that!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 03:23:54 pm by Fiasco »

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #2260 on: November 13, 2021, 07:51:50 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations . Is the bada bing still open?

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2261 on: November 13, 2021, 08:17:28 pm »

You go to were Satriales was and a few other locations, visit the Bada Bing, and visit Holsteins were you got some onion rings and got to sit in Tony's booth. (they even played Streetlight). The tour was hosted by an actor who'd made some small appearances on the show. And whilst in the coach going from site to site they played relevant clips from the show whilst the guide talked about it.

So if you're a fan of the show I thought it was a great way to spend an afternoon.

What? Please tell me you don't mean "Don't Stop Believin'"?

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2262 on: November 14, 2021, 05:20:00 am »
What? Please tell me you don't mean "Don't Stop Believin'"?

Yeah I did, always have some weird blind spot with the name of that song.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2263 on: December 14, 2021, 09:01:10 pm »
For one thing, I already took his horse.

So many fucking good lines.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2264 on: December 14, 2021, 09:28:56 pm »
My niece stays in Bloomfield and I've been on holiday to Montclair, so I've done a free tour of sorts. Most of the stuff is long gone, as others have said, but managed to see Holstens, the Lou Costello statue and a few other places. Sone of them at 30mph though. New Jersey is huge and rather complicated to navigate I noticed. All the towns seem to all merge in to one another with no real definition. Some of the suburbs feel really familiar when you walk round them, and they are rather beautiful.

Funnily enough, I watched Made In America last night. First time I've noticed it, but there seemed to be some kind of old fashioned hue for at least the first part of the episode whicjh made it look almost like The Godfather I thought. Maybe my imagination, I guess.

I did notice one thing though, No-one else was in the street when Meadow was heading into Holstens. First time I had even thought about that before.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2265 on: December 15, 2021, 08:19:05 am »
It's perfect. I've listened to all episodes of "Talking Sopranos" so far and it's absolutely made my year hearing how much everyone enjoyed working on it.

Gandolfini grew weary with everything on his shoulders, that's to be expected when you're doing 16 hour days 9 months of the year.

Listening to interviews with others and his son it's clear it really did have a massive impact on their personal life but I'm selfish and just grateful we got the finest TV show. I'm settled on that now. It's better than The Wire

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2266 on: December 15, 2021, 01:20:17 pm »

You go to were Satriales was and a few other locations, visit the Bada Bing, and visit Holsteins were you got some onion rings and got to sit in Tony's booth. (they even played don't stop believin'). The tour was hosted by an actor who'd made some small appearances on the show. And whilst in the coach going from site to site they played relevant clips from the show whilst the guide talked about it.

My brother went with his family on the tour, probably around the same time as you. Youngest daughter had to sit out the Bada Bing experience. She wasn't old enough to get in.

The actor who played Vito Spatafore was the celebrity guide on his tour. Flogged them some merchandise from the back of his car when the tour was over (not Hugo Boss suits mind !) and all the photo's they wanted for a small tip.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #2267 on: December 15, 2021, 04:14:17 pm »
I'm settled on that now. It's better than The Wire
This is my take. For a while, I did think The Wire was the one, but this is so rich on rewatching.

The Wire is phenomenal (though I wasn't a great lover of Season 2) but The Sopranos is that bit better.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2268 on: December 15, 2021, 04:22:20 pm »
They had a 'Pointless' final a few weeks ago where you had to name Sopranos characters. Its the cleverest I've ever felt
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2269 on: December 15, 2021, 04:35:59 pm »
They had a 'Pointless' final a few weeks ago where you had to name Sopranos characters. Its the cleverest I've ever felt
Great category, I think I would've been dropping Carmine Lupertazzi and Matthew Bevilaqua - surely must have been pointless answers.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2270 on: December 15, 2021, 04:41:59 pm »

Guess it was a minimum number of episodes thing?

Otherwise I'm having Lauren Bacall

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2271 on: December 15, 2021, 04:58:51 pm »
I can't remember if it was top 50 characters, or appeared in over 10 episodes or something.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2272 on: December 15, 2021, 05:01:53 pm »
Guess it was a minimum number of episodes thing?

Otherwise I'm having Lauren Bacall

Or Nancy Sinatra.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2273 on: December 15, 2021, 05:09:13 pm »
Or Nancy Sinatra.

Or her brother.

I can't remember if it was top 50 characters, or appeared in over 10 episodes or something.

Ten would make sense. I mean they only made 86 so it'd be tough to name someone in 50 who's not known (or maybe not everyone in the world watched it as much as us)

Online Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2274 on: December 15, 2021, 05:11:17 pm »
would anyone have got Carmela's dad's full name without googling? i couldn't! would be a good one

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2275 on: December 15, 2021, 05:13:20 pm »
would anyone have got Carmela's dad's full name without googling? i couldn't! would be a good one

I'd never get his surname.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2276 on: December 15, 2021, 05:15:57 pm »
Seem to remember her name was something like De Angelis or De Angelo, but I can't remember her Dad's first name. I always seem to picture him as looking a bit Corbynish  ;D Can't remember her Mum at all.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2277 on: December 15, 2021, 05:17:09 pm »
Seem to remember her name was something like De Angelis or De Angelo, but I can't remember her Dad's first name.

We should have teamed up..

Hugo "Hugh"

Carms mum played Karen's mum in Goodfellas. Can't remember her name mind
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 05:18:47 pm by red_Mark1980 »

Online Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2278 on: December 15, 2021, 05:18:50 pm »
You know, Quasimodo predicted all this.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2279 on: December 15, 2021, 05:22:43 pm »
You know, Quasimodo predicted all this.

He was an interior decorator wasn't he?

God I wish my mate would hurry up and get my blu rays back to me