Author Topic: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar  (Read 55258 times)

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
Re: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2018, 05:28:45 am »

Jeff Bezos is owner of the Washington Post and has been mum's to the word.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2018, 06:37:50 am »
Jeff Bezos is owner of the Washington Post and has been mum's to the word.

Why should he say anything?

He is not a government official. He is not a journalist. He is an investor.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2018, 07:27:30 am »
He is not a government official. He is not a journalist. He is an investor.

As in, he is the "owner" of Washington Post and as an employer, the other poster probably feels that he should probably speak out in support of a free press. It doesnt have to be anything political or with a political agenda. I think.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2018, 10:36:26 am »
As in, he is the "owner" of Washington Post and as an employer, the other poster probably feels that he should probably speak out in support of a free press. It doesnt have to be anything political or with a political agenda. I think.

Trump has been attacking Bezos for 2 years. If Bezos speaks out...what will happen? It won't help. It will muddy the waters like Trump likes. I am glad Bezos has said nothing. The journalists around the world are and that is what is needed.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2018, 11:01:43 am »
There's a beautiful symmetry in that we sell weapons to Saudi, who use them to murder children in Yemen. Then use some of that money to help ease the suffering of children in Yemen.

Sorry, my mistake. I said 'beautiful' when I meant 'barbaric'.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2018, 11:10:48 am »
There's a beautiful symmetry in that we sell weapons to Saudi, who use them to murder children in Yemen. Then use some of that money to help ease the suffering of children in Yemen.

Sorry, my mistake. I said 'beautiful' when I meant 'barbaric'.

Entirely playing devils advocate here....

Keeping things working at the same oversimplified level as that analogy, but given Saudi state resources it's probably a safe assumption that if they want weapons they'll buy them - whether from the UK or the US, or from Russia or Israel or China or whoever.

Would you prefer the UK to be earning money from these sales, that then contributes to the DFID budget (and other budgets) to "ease the suffering" or would you prefer the Saudi's gave that money to Putin's regime? Oversimplified options, but I'd still be interested in what situation people would prefer.

As I recall, the Russian state humanitarian effort in Syria hasn't done a single thing to ease the suffering of the civilians and healthcare professionals they've been bombing for years.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2018, 11:16:49 am »

Keeping things working at the same oversimplified level as that analogy, but given Saudi state resources it's probably a safe assumption that if they want weapons they'll buy them - whether from the UK or the US, or from Russia or Israel or China or whoever.

Would you prefer the UK to be earning money from these sales, that then contributes to the DFID budget (and other budgets) to "ease the suffering" or would you prefer the Saudi's gave that money to Putin's regime? Oversimplified options, but I'd still be interested in what situation people would prefer.

As I recall, the Russian state humanitarian effort in Syria hasn't done a single thing to ease the suffering of the civilians and healthcare professionals they've been bombing for years.

Care to say where you draw the line on your 'if we didn't sell arms to them, someone else would' analogy?
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2018, 11:39:06 am »

So in simple terms it comes down to whether, you have the option to sell a gun thats going to kill some child or you allow your enemy.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: October 18, 2018, 11:48:46 am »

Care to say where you draw the line on your 'if we didn't sell arms to them, someone else would' analogy?

If we didn't sell crack to them, somebody else will.

If we didn't groom those children and ensnare them into prostitution, somebody else will  ;)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #169 on: October 18, 2018, 11:54:24 am »
He was a Washington Post writer and that is why he was killed. That is why the globalmedia is fixated on this atrocity.

In addition to being a WaPo journalist, he was a leading critic of Saudi Arabia. Also, you have the fact that Kushner and MBS appear to be Whatsapp pals and Trump's previous business deals with Saudi Arabia, not to mention his lax attitude to this event
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:57:07 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2018, 12:07:30 pm »
In addition to being a WaPo journalist, he was a leading critic of Saudi Arabia. Also, you have the fact that Kushner and MBS appear to Whatsapp pals and Trump's previous business deals with Saudi Arabia, not to mention his lax attitude to this event

Remember Kashoggi was close to the regime for a long time, being editor of regime-sanctioned newspapers and reportedly also working for the Saudi intelligence agency. He was fired for allowing one his columnists to print an article critical of 13th century hardline cleric Taymiyya, but still worked for the regime in London, before returning as editor-in-chief of Al-Watan. Fired in 2015 for again allowing a column that didn't get past the regime 'ministry of free will suppression', he still kept working for the regime. It was only in 2016 that he became outwardly critical of the regime (ironically, it was apparently his public criticism of Trump that saw him become persona non grata).

(info mostly sourced from Wiki)

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2018, 12:21:41 pm »

That argument displays an astounding lack of morality - basically fuck the world as long as I get my share.  In relative terms the money Saudi Arabia spend on British and American weapons is a small fraction of the overall exports of these countries - a loss that would be easily absorbed.  The question is who do we want to be as a country?  We cannot solve all the problems of the world, but we can restrict another country's ability to commit atrocities.  Our current government, however, have chosen to be complicit.

Also, it is not a quick or easy decision to move to entirely different weapons systems.  The Saudi defense infrastructure will be built around these weapons and that would largely have to be rebuilt to accommodate, say, Russian weapon systems for example.  It is not like switching to a new brand of coffee.  So there would be financial, technical, administrative and logisitical cost to SA if US/UK weapons supply was restricted.  It would absolutely hinder their ability to fight a war in Yemen at least for a time.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2018, 12:36:11 pm »

Remember Kashoggi was close to the regime for a long time, being editor of regime-sanctioned newspapers and reportedly also working for the Saudi intelligence agency. He was fired for allowing one his columnists to print an article critical of 13th century hardline cleric Taymiyya, but still worked for the regime in London, before returning as editor-in-chief of Al-Watan. Fired in 2015 for again allowing a column that didn't get past the regime 'ministry of free will suppression', he still kept working for the regime. It was only in 2016 that he became outwardly critical of the regime (ironically, it was apparently his public criticism of Trump that saw him become persona non grata).

(info mostly sourced from Wiki)

Nothing ironic about it.  The reason that he was exiled from Saudi Arabia is that he criticised Trump.

Trump is now working with the Saudis to cover up his murder, because the House of Saud pays Trump bribes. Trump doesn't care about Lockheed Martin's business plans.   

Trump is an accessory to murder after the fact.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2018, 12:45:10 pm »
Nothing ironic about it.  The reason that he was exiled from Saudi Arabia is that he criticised Trump.

Trump is now working with the Saudis to cover up his murder, because the House of Saud pays Trump bribes. Trump doesn't care about Lockheed Martin's business plans.   

Trump is an accessory to murder after the fact.

Hard to disagree with this - the economic/arms export argument is garbage.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2018, 12:53:56 pm »
Hard to disagree with this - the economic/arms export argument is garbage.

It's not really garbage. Successive US presidents had toadied up to the shitstains in Riyadh to secure $multi-billion arms/business deals. And they also need a friendly Saudi regime to keep oil prices relatively stable.

That isn't to defend Trump, or deny he has one eye on his own personal enrichment with Saudi klepto-dollars. But the other considerations do also have substance.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2018, 01:19:23 pm »
In addition to being a WaPo journalist, he was a leading critic of Saudi Arabia. Also, you have the fact that Kushner and MBS appear to be Whatsapp pals and Trump's previous business deals with Saudi Arabia, not to mention his lax attitude to this event

Ya, but there have been other critics and no reaction. Where was the international media when the Saudis decided to play hardball with Canada for critiquing them? This story isn't going anywhere fast.

Offline sashraf1066

• Main Stander
« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2018, 03:18:35 pm »
Turkish newspaper reporting that one of the suspects  involved in the disappearance of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi died in a “suspicious car accident” in Riyadh.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/saudi-suspect-in-khashoggi-case-dies-in-car-accident-report-138007
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:25:26 pm by sashraf1066 »

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #177 on: October 18, 2018, 04:56:21 pm »
These fuckers have been summarily executing people for years.

This was on their territory in Istanbul, so other than sanctions, the world can do fuck all.

They'll say they had evidence, that he'd been tried in absentia and sentenced to death.

What the international community should do is establish a Khasoggi Prize for outstanding courage in journalism to rub MBS' nose in his own shite every year.

Kill the humourless

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2018, 05:08:29 pm »
It's not really garbage. Successive US presidents had toadied up to the shitstains in Riyadh to secure $multi-billion arms/business deals. And they also need a friendly Saudi regime to keep oil prices relatively stable.

That isn't to defend Trump, or deny he has one eye on his own personal enrichment with Saudi klepto-dollars. But the other considerations do also have substance.

Fair point, garbage was a bit strong.  I meant in isolation arms deals isn't the only reason for Trump to behave the way he is.  In his mind it gives a cover for his actions - an excuse to appease the Saudi regime.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2018, 09:27:19 pm »
We should be disgusted that our country is allied to such a regime, but what puzzles me is why this Khashoggi case has become headline news when all these things you mention have mostly been buried. Why now?

Because we have a free press and because there are enough people in the UK and other democratic countries who care about this fucking thing.

Talking of which I had to laugh at the tart who who said, maybe on the previous page even, that the Mainstream media in the West wasn’t interested in this case because - presumably - all we care about is oil.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2018, 02:08:04 am »

Steven Mnuchin
@stevenmnuchin1

"Just met with @realDonaldTrump and @SecPompeo and we have decided, I will not be participating in the Future Investment Initiative summit in Saudi Arabia."

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2018, 02:15:36 am »

"Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has heard an alleged audio recording of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi's murder inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, according to a senior Turkish official."

"Speaking exclusively and on condition of anonymity to ABC News, the official claimed the recording was played in meetings in Turkey on Wednesday, and that Pompeo was given a transcript of the recordings."

"Separately, ABC News has also learned that Turkish officials believe that Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate following a struggle that lasted eight minutes and that they believe he died of strangulation."

https://abcnews.go.com/International/pompeo-listened-alleged-recording-murder-jamal-khashoggi-source/story?id=58595725

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2018, 09:58:56 am »
We should be disgusted that our country is allied to such a regime, but what puzzles me is why this Khashoggi case has become headline news when all these things you mention have mostly been buried. Why now?

Headline news when a news reporter based in a western country (and writing in English) is tortured, murdered and dismembered in an embassy, probably on the orders of the crown prince of SA, while picking up his marriage papers.  What specifically are you puzzled about?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2018, 10:03:26 am »
"Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has heard

snip

He's denied he has heard anything - "This is wrong to do to the fiancée of Khashoggi," he added. "This is a very serious matter that we're working diligently on, and so to put out headlines that are factually false does no one any good."

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: October 19, 2018, 12:18:18 pm »

Andrew Adonis
‏Verified account @Andrew_Adonis
14h14 hours ago

- Me to senior diplomat: ‘this Saudi thing is terrible’
- ‘O they do it all the time’
- ‘What, murder, hit squads?’
- ‘Of course, & the Russians & the Chinese, & the Turks actually; Erdogan only publicised this one as a power play on Trump’
- ‘Good God’
- ‘Andrew, you are naive’
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: October 19, 2018, 12:58:34 pm »
Headline news when a news reporter based in a western country (and writing in English) is tortured, murdered and dismembered in an embassy, probably on the orders of the crown prince of SA, while picking up his marriage papers.  What specifically are you puzzled about?

I don't think anyone is saying the murder of Khasoggi shouldn't be headline news, just questioning why a media that has largely buried (or at best not headlined) news about other murders committed by the Saudi shitstains - like several thousand children & women in Yemen.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #186 on: October 19, 2018, 01:10:16 pm »
I don't think anyone is saying the murder of Khasoggi shouldn't be headline news, just questioning why a media that has largely buried (or at best not headlined) news about other murders committed by the Saudi shitstains - like several thousand children & women in Yemen.

It's Stalin's dictum: The death of one person is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic.

MBS must be incredibly stupid if he didn't think there would be significant blowback from murdering a US-based journalist in the grounds of an embassy in another country.  Not to be blase about it, but couldn't a car accident be staged to achieve the same ends?

Unless the dismemberment was meant to send a message to other critics of the regime.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2018, 06:00:34 pm »
It's Stalin's dictum: The death of one person is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic.

MBS must be incredibly stupid if he didn't think there would be significant blowback from murdering a US-based journalist in the grounds of an embassy in another country.  Not to be blase about it, but couldn't a car accident be staged to achieve the same ends?

Unless the dismemberment was meant to send a message to other critics of the regime.

He's dumb. He's dumb because he doesn't put the work to improve on an issue, just a lot of vocal cord noise that no one dares respond to; he's detached from reality but that is a very common trait among those who've had the upbringing he's had. Clearly there are character defects as well. The wider problem is the quality of the heirs dynasties create.

I met the guy years back a couple of times, but more importantly in terms of getting a read we worked over a period of months with a group that answered directly to him, I saw the quality of the guys he picked, their work, I saw his decisions...delusional garbage. We've had dealings over a period of years with their circle (thankfully not so much these days), the only reason any company deals with them is for money. We're all seeing his 'planning' and execution of a murder, imagine how easy these guys are to make money off.

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2018, 11:19:59 pm »

Gave all of the Turkish working in the consulate two days holiday.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wpNh3LBwt0Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wpNh3LBwt0Y</a>

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: October 19, 2018, 11:30:01 pm »
No shit Sherlock.

Scapegoat found, Davos in the Desert to be back on, weapons sales to resume.

Jamal Khashoggi is dead, Saudi Arabian state television confirms

> Fight broke out between Khashoggi and those who met him consulate, announcement said
> Gen Ahmed al-Asiri is sacked from intelligence position

Saudi Arabia has said the journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who disappeared after visiting the country’s consulate in Istanbul on 2 October, is dead.

The news, which cited preliminary findings from an official investigation, was announced on state television on Friday. It said a fight broke out between Khashoggi and people who met him in the consulate, leading to the death of the reporter.

Khashoggi was a US permanent resident who wrote for the Washington Post.

It was also announced that Gen Ahmed al-Asiri, an intelligence official linked to the case, had been dismissed. Eighteen Saudi nationals were said to have been arrested.

More details soon …

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/19/jamal-khashoggi-dead-saudi-arabian-state-television-confirms
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2018, 11:33:33 pm »
A fistfight? Sure ::)

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2018, 11:33:35 pm »
Tasty

sent from my r2d2 mk iv

bollocks

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2018, 11:41:50 pm »
A fistfight? Sure ::)

With someone who's studied forensic medicine holding a bone saw.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #193 on: October 19, 2018, 11:57:44 pm »
With someone who's studied forensic medicine holding a bone saw.

People get into fistfights whilst carrying bone saws all the time

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: October 20, 2018, 12:29:03 am »
I don't know why you people aren't believing the Saudis. ::) Why just last week I saw an out-of-shape 60 year-old man start a fight with 18 young fit security agents in my market. And yes one of them coincidentally had a bone saw. One minute the older man was in the fruit aisle, and then he was gone. Haven't seen him at the market since. He probably started shopping at another market.

Happens all the time. No worries.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:35:17 am by soxfan »
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #195 on: October 20, 2018, 01:13:53 am »

Ali Shihabi
@aliShihabi

"IMPORTANT: I understand from a senior Saudi source that Jamal Khashoggi died from a chokehold during a physical altercation, not a fist fight which was mistranslated by foreign media."

"This is not saying "rogue killers" but implicating virtually the whole top leadership of foreign intelligence. They carried out a mission that went sour very quickly and tried to cover it up initially. Bad news travels slowly to the top."

"The removal of two top officials, a cabinet ranking, very powerful and close advisor of MBS and the Deputy Head of Foreign intelligence + 4 other Generals in foreign intelligence (virtually its whole top leadership) cannot be written off as a cover up. This is unprecedented."

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: October 20, 2018, 10:14:14 am »
Couldn’t they have just done the heart attack excuse?

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #197 on: October 20, 2018, 10:39:20 am »
Still begs the question why the brought an autopsy expert who brought equipment.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #198 on: October 20, 2018, 10:44:33 am »
I think we should stop hanging round with them
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2018, 10:44:56 am »
Couldn’t they have just done the heart attack excuse?

You don't tend to dismember and hide the body of someone who dies of natural causes though  ???