Author Topic: Real Madrid v Liverpool - UEFA Champions League R16 Second Leg, 15 March 2023  (Read 18136 times)

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We were 2-0 up against these not long ago.

It’s possible. I know we are away from home and our away form is awful. But if we get a few goals ahead they might lose their heads, who knows?

Not expecting anything but it’s not quite over yet.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Just going to enjoy it as a one off game. Go out to win the game, if we’re ahead by 1 or 2 goals in second half then go all out. I don’t think this is ending 0-0

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
I don't have any great hopes for progressing but it would be great to at least get a win and end the hoodoo they have over us.  It's certainly not a vintage Real side but we always seem to somehow conspire to lose to them.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd like us to win the Kickoff and pull that routine Bournemouth did at Arsenal, goal in 10 secs will get us going.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader
We have milner and elliott as cm options going to the bernabeu with a 3 goal deficit. I think everyone will be happy if the team put up a decent fight.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Kelleher
Trent         VVD     Konate      Robbo

Keith            Hendo

Salah  Nunez   Gakpo
                Allison

;D

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
I'll live in hope right up to the point Vinicius waltzes through our defence and smacks in his third of the night.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
If we can just get into the lead at some point the chemistry of the match will change completely. Hope for the best, expect the worst.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
We all hope but in reality we are going to get beat.

Madrid if they are comfortable second will possibly ease off and make it a training session.

Our season is pretty much a write off and its our own fault for it and we need to put that right in the summer.

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
              Kelleher
Trent         VVD     Konate      Robbo

Keith            Hendo

Salah  Nunez   Gakpo
                Allison

As if we will line up like that!! You’ve got VVD and Konate the wrong way around. ;-)

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
                  Allison

Gomez   Konate  Virg   Robertson

Fabinho

Trent                   Milner

Salah           Gakpo             Nunez

Gomez helps sort out the Vinicius problem while providing a better defensive option than Trent while Trent into midfield helps with the midfield lack of numbers problem. You could swap Milner for Elliot, maybe Milners better coming on later with his experience. Wont happen like but thats an option.
Football is a lie

Offline Wolverine

• Main Stander
It's Real Madrid, they don't panic or choke leads in this tournament, they have knocked us out almost every season in the last few years, if we were playing Spurs or something we would have a chance.

Hope fully we got no more injuries and put in a solid performance and don't disgrace ourselves, you can't really expect anything else. Top 4 is crucial to this club finances as we are not exactly cash rich to buy players for our rebuild.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 10:58:24 am by Wolverine »

Online Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
It's Real Madrid, they don't panic or choke leads in this tournament, they have knocked us out almost every season in the last few years, if we were playing Spurs or something we would have a chance.

That's the spirit.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Sounds like we will be scrapping the midfield together for tonight and God knows who will be left on the bench to come in to keep things ticking. A tough mission just got a little tougher but as long as the lads give their best then it's all I could hope for. Put a bit of pride back into our performances as watching the home leg turn out the way it did was not good to say the least. Every chance you get to put on the red of Liverpool should lead to battling every minute you are on the pitch. Cmon lads tonight show us why we love the club.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline BigRedFeetBed

• Main Stander
I am of the opinion that it seems and feels like the general consensus is that we are out already, so I look forward to the game with no nerves, a wish that we play a good game and don't come away having been embarrassed.

Saying that...

We have already stunned these once by going 2 up against them before losing our heads and capitulating.
I dont know what to expect from the officials considering their nationality but I do hope any shithousery by their players is quickly knocked on the head.

They will be more nervous than we are, if not a bit cocky, but, If our players go into the game with no fear, with the mindset of 'fuck it, everyone expects us to go out, lets just go for it' a la Barcelona... we have a chance.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
Solid first half, no goals, then hit them with the Trent/Arthur midfield 2 with 4 up top
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Jayo10

• Kopite
Solid first half, no goals, then hit them with the Trent/Arthur midfield 2 with 4 up top

You need to stun Madrid early, like we did at Anfield and then hang on with our fingernails.

Madrid are akin to a really good boxer, you need to rush them from the first bell, you might even score a few knock downs early. But they will gradually use their technical superiority the longer the fight goes on, and once they have the measure of you they will make you pay. So knocking 2 or 3 past them late won't happen. This will be a score a few early and hang on for the last 15-20 mins by the skin of our teeth job.

A nephew of mine watches them every week in La Liga, he reckons it was suicide for us to play the way we did last time out, trying to match them 3 on 3 in midfield, and not putting the shackles on Vinicius Jr. They know exactly how we play and were therefore well prepped, there are no surprises with us. When inevitably our legs went in midfield, their technical superiority took over. Vini Jr spends 90 mins every weekend getting kicked around, man marked and digged out by the likes of Cadiz, Girona, Albacete and Valladolid. And he won the lottery getting the space we gave him. Shackling him is one of the main reasons their league form has been so rubbish.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
You need to stun Madrid early, like we did at Anfield and then hang on with our fingernails.

Madrid are akin to a really good boxer, you need to rush them from the first bell, you might even score a few knock downs early. But they will gradually use their technical superiority the longer the fight goes on, and once they have the measure of you they will make you pay. So knocking 2 or 3 past them late won't happen. This will be a score a few early and hang on for the last 15-20 mins by the skin of our teeth job.

A nephew of mine watches them every week in La Liga, he reckons it was suicide for us to play the way we did last time out, trying to match them 3 on 3 in midfield, and not putting the shackles on Vinicius Jr. They know exactly how we play and were therefore well prepped, there are no surprises with us. When inevitably our legs went in midfield, their technical superiority took over. Vini Jr spends 90 mins every weekend getting kicked around, man marked and digged out by the likes of Cadiz, Girona, Albacete and Valladolid. And he won the lottery getting the space we gave him. Shackling him is one of the main reasons their league form has been so rubbish.

Stick our secret weapon Gomez on him. It makes so much sense.
Football is a lie

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
Just realised our next 4 games are

Madrid away
City away
Chelsea away , I think
Arsenal home.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen

We gave him too much space but his first goal is world class.

We lacked game management.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
Unfortunately Madrid are solid and their arses don't go like Barcelona's or Milan's have in the past. Once we put up a good showing and give them a game i'll be happy. A red card for one of their's early on and who knows but let's be realistic here they have the tools to put another five past us if they want.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline MH41

• Kopite
Perhaps try a 4-2-3-1, with a largely mobile and interchangeable 'front 4'?

Alisson
TAA Konaté VVD Robbo
          Fabinho Milner
Elliott - Firmino (Gakpo) - Nuñez (Jota)
                   Salah

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
In a sentence. It's a game where their midfield is world class and ours isn't unfortunately but it is what it is.
Swap the midfield and we'd batter them.

Hopefully next season we can get a proper world class midfield

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
I'm a bit surprised to see so many people talking about comebacks.

We arent the same team that we used to be, we're much, much weaker than 3 or 4 years ago & Real Madrid are THE Champions League team - they own the competition. And they're at home. And they have a 3 goal advantage!

They battered us at Anfield.

There will not be any miracle comeback, and I doubt we will win the game at all, I see no reason why they won't beat us yet again.

1-0 Madrid.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)

We arent the same team that we used to be, we're much, much weaker than 3 or 4 years ago & Real Madrid are THE Champions League team - they own the competition. And they're at home. And they have a 3 goal advantage!

There will not be any miracle comeback, and I doubt we will win the game at all, I see no reason why they won't beat us yet again.

1-0 Madrid.

Why bother watching if you're this sure

The chance is tiny but it's there

The beauty of football is nothing is written in stone

We happen to be the ONE club that can do Champions League miracles

Let's go for it. We have to play it.

There will be plenty of time to commiserate a defeat it happens. the foresight of it won't keep your bones warm

We have two choices: fight or give up

Giving up is not OK

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan

1-0 Madrid.

I think you should watch Eastenders instead.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think we'll win by the odd goal, unfortunately not enough to go through.  We should be sitting pretty in this tie, should have went 3-0 up.  In an iffy season, this is the one that hurts because I'm still confused about how we let this slip away from us.

Obviously we're Liverpool and if any club can do it, it's us, one of our greatest ever results if we manage it.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
They got battered by both Chelsea and Abu Dhabi last season, and eked it out more by luck than judgement.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Unfortunately Madrid are solid and their arses don't go like Barcelona's or Milan's have in the past. Once we put up a good showing and give them a game i'll be happy. A red card for one of their's early on and who knows but let's be realistic here they have the tools to put another five past us if they want.

They blew a 3 goal lead from the first leg at home against Juventus a few years back (then went through via a dodgy pen). Won the first leg 3-1 at Chelsea last season and then ended up getting taken to extra time.

They do have a wobble in them but it's what Liverpool shows up as well as their own performance. We've been crap away all season and have a depleted midfield. I've said since we drew Madrid we always seem to get them at the wrong time. I think we'd have beat them over two legs last season (or in 18/19 or 19/20). In 20/21 we went away to them with Kabak and Phillips at the back.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 12:38:57 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
I've said since we drew Madrid we always seem to get them at the wrong time.

To be fair you do say that about every single match we play.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
I think we'll win the match, I just don't see us not conceding though.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They lost 4-0 at home to a pretty shit Barca side last season. If you're that steadfast that we can't do it...then just dont watch, dont post, go and do something worthwhile. If you're a Liverpool fan who has witnessed us come down from 3-0 in five minutes against one of the best European sides in history, or beating a Messi lead Barca 4-0 after being 3-0 down, and still dont think we've got a chance then why even bother?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
It will be interesting to see how Madrid approach the game. I would love to see us score early then we’ll see what their mind set up is. If they go on the pitch with the wrong attitude it might be interesting.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
1st minute penalty( which we score)  with their keeper sent off would be a nice start…

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
If players went into matches with some fans attitudes there would be no come backs, ever. Part of what makes football so popular is that upsets and comebacks happen all the time. Yes the odds dont favour us but when have we let that stop us in the past. Lets hope the players try their arses off and see where it takes them.
Football is a lie

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If players went into matches with some fans attitudes there would be no come backs, ever. Part of what makes football so popular is that upsets and comebacks happen all the time. Yes the odds dont favour us but when have we let that stop us in the past. Lets hope the players try their arses off and see where it takes them.

We've won 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, countless other finals. Massive pedigree, loads of history, proper European royalty. We'd be on a European football 'Mount Rushmore'. And still our two most famous European games are both ones where we've come back from three goals down against massive odds, and teams that you'd never expect. If you can't go into this tonight with a bit of hope then you're following the wrong team (well, wrong sport really).

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
I had some embers of hope going into the Barca game - even with Mo and Bobby out -  but we were in our (recent) pomp then weren't we?

the highest expectation I can muster for tonight is to end up with an agg score that looks respectable .... maybe 5-3 or 5-4 ..... so the history books don't scream "Liverpool got fucked to death by RM 8-2" or something like that.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Looking forward to the game, it should be a fun watch either way. If there is a very minor benefit of being written off then its the almost free hit nature of a big game. No doubt the pressure will be turned up to 100 once we come back from the International break.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
1st minute penalty( which we score)  with their keeper sent off would be a nice start…
Have you not seen us against 10 men recently?

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think there is a possibility we may win, draw or lose this game.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4