Author Topic: RAWK Round Table Hull City AFC 3-1 LFC  (Read 25229 times)

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RAWK Round Table Hull City AFC 3-1 LFC
« Reply #160 on: December 4, 2013, 04:15:54 pm »
I thought the whole point of PDO was to measure how you are running vs the mean- ie up to now has your team got lucky or unlucky .... Are you in a false position or not ?

Therefore of course it regresses because all PDO measures would be at the mean given enough time
Ours being high will mostly mean we are due to regress ie we've run good up to now

I wouldn't say thats the point of it, I'd say its a measure of how efficient a teams scoring and saving ability has been, its just that it has been found that the correlation for year on year PDO is low, so it is used as a measure of luck.

But just because the average team regresses, does not mean all teams regress. Like I said, Utd under Ferguson had a high PDO year on year I believe. Is that because they were lucky every season, or did they have an efficient attacking system with efficient strikers, a good defence and a good shot stopping goalkeeper, all whilst spending a lot of time in the lead?

Whilst we are not at Utds level yet and our PDO may well drop, I think we are good enough that it will remain above average all season.

I've remembered reading an article about PDO and its regression depending on team strength, I'll see if I can find it.

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
« Reply #161 on: December 4, 2013, 04:17:24 pm »
This is all true, though as far as I can tell, the more the model takes shot quality into account, the better we look. MCofA's, for instance, which is entirely based on an expected goals model that heavily relies on shot quality, has us as more or less even with the other top 4 hopefuls. The worrying thing is that while predictiveness of offensive shot quality is high, the same isn't really true of shot quality conceded. Anyway, leaving that last piece aside, I think we're actually looking a littler better that your account makes it seem, we're in the top 2 or 3 for shot quality, both offensively and defensively, and a lot of models haven't really incorporated that data yet. I'd say we're top 4 offensively, and mid table defensively. Definitely needs improvement, as you say.

Didn't see this post, so apologies for repeating a lot of what you said!

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 4, 2013, 04:21:23 pm »
I wouldn't say thats the point of it, I'd say its a measure of how efficient a teams scoring and saving ability has been, its just that it has been found that the correlation for year on year PDO is low, so it is used as a measure of luck.

But just because the average team regresses, does not mean all teams regress. Like I said, Utd under Ferguson had a high PDO year on year I believe. Is that because they were lucky every season, or did they have an efficient attacking system with efficient strikers, a good defence and a good shot stopping goalkeeper, all whilst spending a lot of time in the lead?

Whilst we are not at Utds level yet and our PDO may well drop, I think we are good enough that it will remain above average all season.

I've remembered reading an article about PDO and its regression depending on team strength, I'll see if I can find it.
I'm struggling to find the post now, but someone found that PDO "skill" varied to the tune of only  about 6-8 goals a year at the extremes. The survivor bias point is a good one though, and I'm not sure if it's been accounted for.

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
« Reply #163 on: December 4, 2013, 04:31:22 pm »

This is what I was refering to http://11tegen11.net/2013/01/06/what-is-a-normal-pdo/

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #164 on: December 4, 2013, 04:36:14 pm »
Jesus wept.

;D

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
« Reply #165 on: December 4, 2013, 04:42:49 pm »
I'm struggling to find the post now, but someone found that PDO "skill" varied to the tune of only  about 6-8 goals a year at the extremes. The survivor bias point is a good one though, and I'm not sure if it's been accounted for.

It was defo James Grayson.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #166 on: December 4, 2013, 04:47:22 pm »

Presumably that's indicative of the way the game works generally. We think skill makes the difference because it looks good but actually mistakes, weak links in the team, the overall level of the team and luck are bigger influences

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 4, 2013, 04:55:01 pm »
These threads have turned from people talking sensibly about football into people just chatting bollocks if you ask me.

Are you genuinely using stats to calculate luck? Kinell

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #168 on: December 4, 2013, 05:06:53 pm »
It may not be very interesting, but it's sensible and it's not bollocks.

There is a super-tanker's load of bollocks being chatted in other threads, with usually zero evidence and scant logic behind it.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 4, 2013, 05:12:35 pm »
It may not be very interesting, but it's sensible and it's not bollocks.

There is a super-tanker's load of bollocks being chatted in other threads, with usually zero evidence and scant logic behind it.

Using stats to calculate 'luck' is the least sensible & most illogical thing I've seen on rawk today - including a man being very possessive over what goes in his fridge.

Do you know what luck is? Nevermind me, if you're happy then carry on.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #170 on: December 4, 2013, 05:12:37 pm »
These threads have turned from people talking sensibly about football into people just chatting bollocks if you ask me.

Are you genuinely using stats to calculate luck? Kinell

Of course - luck is completely measurable. When it happens can't be predicted but it's overall effect on football can be measured

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 4, 2013, 05:21:00 pm »
Of course - luck is completely measurable. When it happens can't be predicted but it's overall effect on football can be measured

I would view it as not only unnecessary, but also impossible to judge what is luck and what isn't. Any tiny factor could affect a football match, from a player tripping over, what a striker has for breakfast, whether the referee missed his opticians appointment. That could be teams being 'lucky' or unlucky.

There's some great points in this thread but some stats just seem silly to me. That said, if you find it interesting then I don't want to stop you.

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
« Reply #172 on: December 4, 2013, 07:54:30 pm »
Of course tiny factors can affect football matches, that is why stats people look through to the underlying factors where there are far more observations, which then reduces the luck factor. Instead of goals, you look at shots, you look at shots on target, you look at shot quality, you look at how the chance was created, and you don't look at 1 game, you look at hundreds or even thousands of games. Then you can get an idea of which teams may have been lucky or not.

As for their use, they help you understand what is happening at the basic level of the game, and a lot of people looking at them will be using them for prediction, ie betting or fantasy football.

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
« Reply #173 on: December 4, 2013, 08:14:01 pm »
With good timing, two articles published today which help explain why our shot ratios might be low and PDO high

http://www.statsbomb.com/2013/12/score-effects/

http://thebubblegame.wordpress.com/2013/12/04/expected-pdo/