Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3286960 times)

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #19280 on: October 27, 2018, 11:25:56 pm »
They are all out tonight.

Do you all have a WhatsApp group?

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19281 on: October 27, 2018, 11:36:36 pm »
They are all out tonight.

Do you all have a WhatsApp group?

Suck up

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19282 on: October 27, 2018, 11:57:11 pm »
Going to be honest, the Post Match Pint is better on a regular basis than The Pink. Be careful lads, the minge bags will cancel their subs in record time if the You Tube content is consistently better than the subscription content. Better contributors on a consistent basis and Robbo is a real loss to the podcasts. Sometimes put the Pink on and it sounds like the BBC have got their tick boxes out: Scouser (tick) Wool (tick) Scandy (tick) Daytripper (tick). It’s getting boring lads and the Pink is the backbone of TAW for me. We are fucking top of the league and having one of the best ever starts to a league campaign in our history and you’d think we were playing under Roy Hodgson and going a point a game.

Simply not having criticism of a 4-1 at home against a team that park the bus. Neil wanted goals against these teams, campaigned for it for months, demanded goals. They are here. Apathy towards becoming a team that consistently beats teams at home is a dangerous precedent.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:44:03 am by JamesG L4 »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #19283 on: October 28, 2018, 12:03:25 am »
I havent listened to it but i seen a clip on the twitter and i agreed with Neil and the other lad who were criticising the performance. I thought we played well first 20 and then were just sloppy and not aggressive enough up until the subs came on mid second half. We have to have a killer instinct if we want to win the big trophies and with our firepower we should be putting teams to the sword. This is not big picture criticism because the club, managers, players and fans are in a great way and progressing nicely but i understand and agree with the frustration that Neil showed on that clip and in his match review. We had an opponent on the ropes and we were going through the motions for too long in today's game. It is fantastic work though to win 3 games in a week and to have a full 7 day break before a massive Arsenal game.

The majority of that team played midweek. We had over 80% possession of the ball and we won 4-1 to go top of the league. Tough crowd indeed.

I think the problem is, there are a few too many of us who are judging our performances based on what Man City are doing/have done. A sort of "Man City did this or did that to a team, so we should at least be putting in the same sort of performance, or better if we want to win the league". But football doesn't work like that. We don't have to put in the same sort of performances as them, we just have to equal or better their results.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19284 on: October 28, 2018, 12:39:06 am »
Used to fucking love the pink.

Don’t enjoy listening to nothing but a moan after a 4-1 win. 2.6 points per game.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #19285 on: October 28, 2018, 03:24:35 am »
Don’t know who this Emily Dona is but I have zero interest in listening to her talk about football.
DAMMIT!

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #19286 on: October 28, 2018, 03:39:41 am »
I've avoided listening to it after opinions on here and on Facebook. I need to listen really to form a fair view point. But I struggle to understand how anyone could be so negative? It wasn't our best performance, but we dominated the ball and eventually stuck 4 goals in the net. Maybe it's due to watching City go out there and bang 3/4/5 goals regularly and worrying about how we aren't matching up to that standard but realistically we need to keep with them stride by stride in terms of points if we want to have a hope in hell of this thing and you really can't do much more than go 3 ahead when they have a game in hand away at Spurs. If they are gonna get 100 points again and batter Tottenham 5-0 then we probably won't do it anyway. If they get 96 points then goal difference would only matter if we got 96 as well. Not the best of arguments I admit, but pointless tiring ourselves out to try and win 6-0 today if it means we haven't got the legs against Arsenal to win all 3. Points are always worth more than goals. Though I know United and Aguero and Liverpool and Thomas are a thing.

We've got 26 out of 30 points. Dropping only only to Chelsea and City, who by virtue of the draws also had to drop.

Conceded 4 goals in 10 games. One an Alisson mistake, one a toe poke after a fortunate attack against the run of play in a game we won 4-1.

Top of our Champions League group - albeit a very close group.

I think we will know where we are after Arsenal away- but then again, even dropped points there wouldn't be irrecoverable. I dunno man, I just want to enjoy us having a good team, a solid squad and grinding out wins. Have we forgotten the seasons when we were where Man United are right now? I understand it though, I'm 31 and most waking thoughts are about us eventually winning the league and ending the drought and I thought I had it worst, but I guess it's even worse if you were 8 or 9 when we last won it as that puts you nearer to 40 and maybe no recollection.

Edit: It has to be said in the end that it is a post match reaction show, and I did feel relieved after the game - perhaps more considered opinions will be available after the show on Monday.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 03:48:40 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #19287 on: October 28, 2018, 04:04:31 am »
To be clear, for the most part no one (I think) is taking issue with criticism of the performance.

It's the language, tone and general aggression towards it which is utterly baffling.

The revisionism is also over the top, we had moments last season when we were blowing teams away - especially in the Champions League. But that wasn't the norm.

Here are 25  games from last season's Premier League campaign (65%), in reverse order of fixtures.

L Chelsea   1–0   Liverpool
D Liverpool   0–0   Stoke City
D West Bromwich Albion   2–2   Liverpool
D Everton   0–0   Liverpool
W Crystal Palace   1–2   Liverpool
L Manchester United   2–1   Liverpool
W Liverpool   2–0   Newcastle United
W Southampton   0–2   Liverpool
D Liverpool   2–2   Tottenham Hotspur
L Swansea City   1–0   Liverpool
W Liverpool   4–3   Manchester City
W Burnley   1–2   Liverpool
W Liverpool   2–1   Leicester City
D Arsenal   3–3   Liverpool
D Liverpool   0–0   West Bromwich Albion
D Liverpool   1–1   Everton
D Liverpool   1–1   Chelsea
L Tottenham Hotspur   4–1   Liverpool
D Liverpool   0–0   Manchester United
D Newcastle United   1–1   Liverpool
W Leicester City   2–3   Liverpool
D Liverpool   1–1   Burnley
L Manchester City   5–0   Liverpool
W Liverpool   1–0   Crystal Palace
D Watford   3–3   Liverpool

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 04:06:19 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #19288 on: October 28, 2018, 04:16:25 am »
I think we will know where we are after Arsenal away- but then again, even dropped points there wouldn't be irrecoverable. I dunno man, I just want to enjoy us having a good team, a solid squad and grinding out wins. Have we forgotten the seasons when we were where Man United are right now? I understand it though, I'm 31 and most waking thoughts are about us eventually winning the league and ending the drought and I thought I had it worst, but I guess it's even worse if you were 8 or 9 when we last won it as that puts you nearer to 40 and maybe no recollection.

United in 08-09 went on a stupid run of winning 1-0, pretty much set them up for the title which they won on inferior goal difference. I'm sure they weren't arsed.

:D

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #19289 on: October 28, 2018, 05:40:06 am »
Casts pretty much make shows, which I think there have been more than one example of the last months. I tend to think that a show is usually solid if the main TAW guys are on it. There's also a digference between listening to a guy like Mike Nevin and people who sounds like they have followed the club for maybe a year or two(to put it that way).

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #19290 on: October 28, 2018, 06:12:38 am »
I thought they sounded like a pack of fannies.

The post match pint was a far fairer reflection of the game.

Weren’t purring against a shite side, but still put four past them. 9 goals in a week, top of the league, solid defence, and a boss bench. If you’re in a tizz after that, god help come March.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 06:24:27 am by DanJay87 »

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19291 on: October 28, 2018, 06:23:52 am »
Just watched the post match pint. Way better.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19292 on: October 28, 2018, 06:45:02 am »
Suck up

What do I have to gain?  Seriously?

It strikes me that some people are quick to get on RAWK and post you didn't like it.

I look forward to you being as quick giving us your opinion on shows you do like.

A quick look at your posting history suggests otherwise.

FWIW I missed Ben Jonnos match ratings. Josh giving his thoughtful feedback on players is of no interest to me.

I want my money back 🙄

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #19293 on: October 28, 2018, 07:11:12 am »
That was the worst Pink I have ever listened to.  Didn't understand the anger at all.   We have just won 4.1 and are top of the league for fucks sake.

The youtube post match show was much better.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #19294 on: October 28, 2018, 07:52:23 am »
Maybe it's due to watching City go out there and bang 3/4/5 goals regularly and worrying about how we aren't matching up to that standard but realistically we need to keep with them stride by stride in terms of points
I think it must be this - remember 2013/14 eventually imploded because City were ten ahead on goal difference, so now to see them cantering away to the same brings up disproportionate angst.  Add in them only dropping 14 points last year and I can understand losing your head whenever we’re standing on someone’s neck and don’t keep stamping.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19295 on: October 28, 2018, 08:04:27 am »
The easy 2-0 in 3rd gear against shite at home is the archetypal champions performance. They got a fluke goal from their first touch in our box and then we stepped it up without any concern whatsoever. If every home name we play turns out like that I'll have no complaints
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19296 on: October 28, 2018, 08:13:11 am »
I think next time they get that way out, they should all take a step back and remember back to when we had Roy Hodgson as our manager *shudders*

That should knock any sense of entitlement out of them.

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #19297 on: October 28, 2018, 08:51:12 am »
I didn’t agree with the extent of the criticism but can see where they’re coming from. We didn’t have a shot on goal for about 30 mins after the first which isn’t great when having 85% possession. Even if I did completely disagree though who cares, people will have different opinions. Compare it with their other post match show which had a different outlook on it.
Well that’s not exactly true! We score after 10mins so another 30 mins takes us up to nearly HT. But Van Dijk hits the post midway through the first half and Salah goes one on one, then should’ve had a pen.  So we were creating. Yes it was a sloppy performance but the pink was a big over reaction yesterday
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19298 on: October 28, 2018, 09:12:48 am »
While I wouldn't be hugely critical of the performance given the result, I don't think we were anywhere near our best yesterday. I reckon some of the negativity stems from the fact the wrap are looking at it from a wider context. Against a better team yesterday we may not have won and we were sloppy throughout, so I can understand the frustration to a degree. Personally I'd never be a livid after a 4-1 win though.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #19299 on: October 28, 2018, 09:26:05 am »
Just listened to it, usually a fan of the pink but I have to agree with the majority it was really poor all round, almost like they were looking for things to be outraged about. It came across as fake somehow because of it. I agree with Solomon as well this pre-occupation that some have with City is really annoying. At this stage we shouldn't even be thinking about them, just ourselves it makes them sound like they are so fearful of City. Disappointing really.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19300 on: October 28, 2018, 10:33:32 am »
Johnny Milburn on the Post Match Pint gives a considered interpretation of the frustration at how casual we were at time, and he's apologetic for being slightly negative.  Little did he know what was going on in The Pink at the same time!   ;D

I agree that The Pink was too negative, but I think it's amusing how everyone jumps to their defence when they're too positive - "They're just a group of fans giving their immediate post-match opinion!  There's no agenda!!" - but on the rare occasion when they're overly negative they're pilloried.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #19301 on: October 28, 2018, 11:43:26 am »
Johnny Milburn on the Post Match Pint gives a considered interpretation of the frustration at how casual we were at time, and he's apologetic for being slightly negative.  Little did he know what was going on in The Pink at the same time!   ;D

I agree that The Pink was too negative, but I think it's amusing how everyone jumps to their defence when they're too positive - "They're just a group of fans giving their immediate post-match opinion!  There's no agenda!!" - but on the rare occasion when they're overly negative they're pilloried.
Yep... damned if they do etc...

It’s an immediate reaction.. that’s why it’s good.

But give it 24 hours and views change a lot.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19302 on: October 28, 2018, 12:27:15 pm »
Don't really get the damn if they do etc.
People are entitled to their opinion. Just didn't agree with it.

As for Neil, think he's a brilliant host, but wouldn't necessarily say he's always the one I agree most with. I think his reaction when we signed Shaqiri was ridiculous for instance. Still a good presenter that I usually find interesting to listen to.

Still at one point, Neil said we were crap, which I frankly believe is a load of nonsense.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:40:01 pm by Raaphael »

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #19303 on: October 28, 2018, 12:37:46 pm »
Agree that the Post-Match Show was too negative.

I know it's been discussed on here before, but the fact it was brought up on AFQ made me just want to say it again: I wish the shows were still called The Pink and The Central League. One of the points of TAW was that it was Liverpool culture as well as the football club and so renaming shows that directly reference that culture is a worry, especially as the explanation given is that listeners don't know what the Pink and the Central League were. I think more credit should be given to listeners to be able to find out the relevance and resonance of the names that will, even if only in a tiny way, give them a taste of Liverpool history and culture.

The Gutter for instance, if I remember rightly, comes from a throwaway remark Gutmann made years ago that few would recall now but were it renamed "The Transfer Speculation Show" it'd lose something. Names like "The Post-Match Show" and "One For The Future" risk slipping into homogeneity.

Oh, and more regular Wildcards please.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:39:30 pm by bradders1011 »
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #19304 on: October 28, 2018, 12:44:29 pm »

Yeah that's a fair point

However last night's podcast touched a nerve with me if I'm honest.
Mainly because its not a one off... not with TAW especially but with the liverpool fan base as a whole.
There's some weird entitlement shit going on at the moment - that we are entitled to be competing for and winning the league and that it should be done playing champagne football

Sometimes I want to put our fans / talking heads into a time machine and force them to watch the entire season of  Souness's boys in 1993-94 !!!

It's fine to criticise... its also fine to constructively criticise when we win .... but if you're actually angry or consumed with negativity because our team didn't shoot the lights out in the middle part of a game that they WON 4-1 TO GO 3 POINTS CLEAR AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE... then you're really not getting the enjoyment out of fandom you should and you should do something else with your time
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:46:45 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19305 on: October 28, 2018, 12:46:13 pm »
I think the ‘disgrace’ angle is possibly an example of the ‘artist’s conceit’. It’s not, in my opinion, an entirely authentic take on the game, but it’s a way of articulating exaggerated dissatisfaction with provocative stance. It’s not necessarily attention seeking, but it’s being overtly obtuse for the purposes of making an interesting broadcast.

The idea of being ‘furious’ after that game (which I also attended) is simply far-fetched. However, when broadcasting I do think one has licence to stretch the narrative in a manner that you probably wouldn’t do in real life. Again, I’m confident that Neil was upset with elements of the display (as was I), but he has, in my view, cultivated a stance that deliberately allows for a certain tone to be established in terms of discussing this particular game.

In short...I’d chill out about the nature of the Pink...

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19306 on: October 28, 2018, 12:47:18 pm »
Yep... damned if they do etc...

It’s an immediate reaction.. that’s why it’s good.

But give it 24 hours and views change a lot.

At the same time, many of us who listened to the pink gave our immediate reactions to it too...
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19307 on: October 28, 2018, 12:52:04 pm »
United in 08-09 went on a stupid run of winning 1-0, pretty much set them up for the title which they won on inferior goal difference. I'm sure they weren't arsed.

Mad that isn't it? On paper one of the most formidable attacks ever, Rooney, Tevez, Christiano Ronaldo and Berbatov - And they get an extra time 1-0 winner from Vidic - From a set piece I assume, against Sunderland at home and a pen against Everton. That's what it's all about 3 points.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19308 on: October 28, 2018, 12:52:23 pm »
I'm listening to it again now. Just a weird reaction to a 4-1 win in my opinion. Entitlement all the way through. Being furious? Jesus Christ.

Way to harsh. Get real.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:55:44 pm by Raaphael »

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19309 on: October 28, 2018, 12:54:39 pm »
Have to say, I was really surprised at the reaction. I had similar feelings to Neil, Steve, Paul and Emily - it was a lot of tippy-tappy and annoying to watch - but we won 4-1! I was made up with it. To be almost angry after completely dominating a team was...odd.

We're rolling teams now; they show up beaten before they step on the pitch. We barely concede chances, let alone goals.

I can understand the reaction a bit, yes, but are we getting a bit arrogant now? This team has come a long, long way in a short space of time. We're in better shape than we've been in years, in every single respect.

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19310 on: October 28, 2018, 01:00:21 pm »
Yeah that's a fair point

Mainly because its not a one off... not with TAW especially but with the liverpool fan base as a whole.
There's some weird entitlement shit going on at the moment - that we are entitled to be competing for and winning the league and that it should be done playing champagne football

Sometimes I want to put our fans / talking heads into a time machine and force them to watch the entire season of  Souness's boys in 1993-94 !!!

It's fine to criticise... its also fine to constructively criticise when we win .... but if you're actually angry or consumed with negativity because our team didn't shoot the lights out in the middle part of a game that they WON 4-1 TO GO 3 POINTS CLEAR AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE... then you're really not getting the enjoyment out of fandom you should and you should do something else with your time

It's almost as if we haven't seen a dogshit team like Cardiff show up and get a 0-0 like, very recently. That was never happening yesterday, and we shouldn't take that for granted.

We're one of the best sides in the world, legitimately. Don't take that for granted. We were very recently travelling across the graveyards of Europe on Thursday nights and playing Mario Balotelli and Fabio Borini up front.

Count your lucky stars.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19311 on: October 28, 2018, 04:29:42 pm »
Neil Arkinson is allowed to get things wrong, it’s fine he didn’t want Shaqiri and he can get angry post match as much as he wants: fuck me, don’t we all get angry after perfectly fine games and write players off? That’s not the issue for me.

There’s an issue, though, when the Post Match Pint is consistently better than the Pink. Neil’s undoubtedly a strong presence and when he’s seething it takes big characters to pull him up or disagree, the Shaqiri singing was a good example of this. Robbo and Neil were well prepared to go head to head on issues - the infamous “character” clash comes to mind - if the Pink is a flagship show then get the right mix of contributers on it. At the moment, it’s becoming a show I won’t listen to, as I’ve already listened/ watched the Post Match Pint.

On top of losing the Citytalk podcast, which I loved (I know there are replacements, but I just liked the flow and length of that podcast more), I can see TAW is in a transitional phase and I hope the constructive feedback on here helps inform how people are feeling.

I’ll subscribe as long as TAW exists, it’s simply brilliant and I’ll bang the drum for it loud and proud to anyone who will listen, and have done on here many times. Just feel it’s a pity when some of what makes TAW magic is being diluted.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 04:55:53 pm by JamesG L4 »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline tmsneil

• A compere beyond compare
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #19312 on: October 28, 2018, 05:22:49 pm »
OK, let's do some of this in order. Starting with the chat about The Greatest as it is useful as a microcosm.

There is a strange thing that sometimes you have to experiment with what you do in public and new shows is a great example of that. As is new voices. On The Greatest, it probably hasn't been as crisp as I would like yet but it might well find its feet. It might not, it might end up joining an array of shows which we did a few of and then stopped. That's alright and we will box that and feedback is always worth having but we are always flying and building the plane at the same time.

On the idea of us doing too much content - we have done less audio content by this stage this season than we had done by this time last. Further the last time we did a 10 show week we had people asking us for more. Everyone wants different things, everyone has a different show they wish we were doing more of.  Someone just there has said they want more Wildcards, elsewhere people  are saying it is different to other shows. There has been no shift in the amount of time able to be spent on editorial focus and in fact we're in the process of changing a couple of things to be able to add further editorial focus. There will be some crossover on shows but - to give a quick example - this week The Friday Show and Teamtalk were hugely different - TFS didn't touch on Liverpool  at all but it will next week  because TFS is the best weekend premier league preview show available and we are the biggest game next weekend. I would argue Friday Show is reason enough to subscribe but other people have their own favourite shows. We want our shows not to be the best amongst supporter media but the best fullstop. I think we do more good football audio shows than any network in the world if you take out the actual live football commentary which we cannot do.

Currently we are working on bringing in another 3 - 5 formats for the start of the new year. It's constant renewal, but again, constant renewal means making mistakes in public. The idea isn't that everyone listens to everything, just as it isn't for Netflix that everyone watches everything and that every Netflix show is absolutely brilliant.

However I do think from this discussion we need to be clearer on two things for all subscribers:

1. What shows are what.
2. When they are coming out.

We're putting a plan together around that.

We also are constantly looking to find new voices and different voices. The Liverpool diaspora is massive, for us what matters isn't where people are from but where they are at and the first part of where they are at is being in Liverpool at the time of recording. I like having people on post match shows who have never been to Anfield before because I want that sense of wonder at seeing The Reds.

Some of these new voices won't work either or will involve letting people find their feet or find their shows but broadly the contributors brought on the last twelve to eighteen months have been really good. It isn't Mike Girling and Rob Gutmann sitting in a room together but Mike has moved away. That's a shame. Dan Austin has recently gone away which has been a blow. People have lives and therefore we have to be organic, have a range of voices and be able to react. If Rob needs to have a quiet few weeks because he is opening a new bar we can't throw our hands up and not do shows. We won't always get it right but we're very engaged with getting it right. Also everyone would soon be bored if it was just me, Rob and John chatting all the time. I'd include me and John in that. If not Rob.

Being fair on the number of shows though there is the addition of the video shows. Some people want to engage with supporter media through video and if we are doing video we want the video to be as good as it can be. Gareth is leading on presenting that because he is a really good presenter. We're pleased with how it is going but the journey it is on will be long both in terms of that content, how it is supplied and so on.

Partners are important to us but we do select who we work with. Also we've not had anything behind the paywall since the CL Final except for Redsbet who are our lead partners for the whole year and Slingsby for AFQ, which I am fine with as they give us the gin and we drink it. Redsbet is one 3 to 7 minute segment a week, no more. If that is too much for you then fair enough but that is all there is bar the intro and outro of the Monday show. If you are subscribing but hearing ads you must be listening to the free feed. If you have examples where that isn't the case do let me know. Really shouldn't be happening and would suggest there is a technical issue we need to look into.

Yesterday's Pink - I think my Review here (https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2018/10/liverpool-cardiff-review/) makes my wider point better and was finished as I began to calm down and I think I would have been calmer if it hadn't been for Salah's attempt to do the keeper from 70 yards which is exactly the sort of thing which gets my goat and was a cherry on top of an infuriating cake. I'm not thinking of Manchester City/goal difference. I am thinking of Ferguson's United who tended to play their best football against smaller teams once they went one up. They changed realities quickly. We had a real opportunity to do that against Cardiff but we allowed them to rope-a-dope us and played the game on their terms. It was unfolding exactly how Warnock would like bar the first goal and it just drove me absolutely mad watching it. Just seemed so casual combined with how awful Cardiff were. I don't think I was alone, the manager kept doing that thing where he does big circles with his arms to his players. Most definitely not about entitlement nor about the idea we should have won by 6 or 7. I have been saying for months we need to remember that there have been seasons like 2011/12 where we only scored 4 at home in the league once. That 4 didn't really count either that season as it was after the cup final.

Perhaps I was too harsh but immediate post match reaction is immediate post match reaction and I walked out livid with the passive reds. You heard that.

If anyone wants to ask anything I'll keep an eye on this across the next few days.

And lastly to go back a few pages it is more than ok for people not to like me and not be massive fans  of me. Obviously. Jeffrey Lewis nailed that one ages ago and these are words to hold close when going after any pursuit I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7kHi2gffeY

Offline tmsneil

• A compere beyond compare
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #19313 on: October 28, 2018, 05:23:41 pm »
On top of losing the Citytalk podcast, which I loved (I know there are replacements, but I just liked the flow and length of that podcast more), I can see TAW is in a transitional phase and I hope the constructive feedback on here helps inform how people are feeling.
Are you listening to The Weekender, James? For me it is Citytalk but better. And it is also making what goes out on Citytalk better. Am intrigued by this.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19314 on: October 28, 2018, 06:08:50 pm »
Yeah that's a fair point

Spot on this.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19315 on: October 28, 2018, 06:44:07 pm »
The Greatest is a good (great?!) concept I think, but probably dependent on the topic. The statement wins one was a great listen, three up some brilliant games to reminisce about and worked a lot better than the front 3 show did I think. Would definitely listen to more.

Also recently listened to all the WWCHs from 01/02 which was fantastic. Love how it makes you think back to events and then one of the contributors mentions it to. Had forgotten quite how much off the field stuff there was around then too.

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #19316 on: October 28, 2018, 06:45:18 pm »
About Yesterday’s “Pink”

It made quite uncomfortable listening. It wasn’t what was said or the sentiments expressed. Broadly speaking it was difficult to really disagree with anything. The Salah attempt to chip their golaie was as annoying as it gets and they were very passive for big chunks of the match.

It was the way it was said that felt wrong. In general TAW has swerved the sort of abusive nonsense that certain elements of our fanbase like to indulge in. The comments and language used about Lallana and Trent in particular felt very close to that line. I really don’t remember hearing that on TAW before, even after some of our more desperate performances at the end of Rodgers’ tenure.

I did listen again this morning and it still felt uncomfortable.

It is entirely possible that I am turning into an elderly snowflake. But that was my take on it.

I still think TAW is the best fiver a month I spend though.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #19317 on: October 28, 2018, 06:53:51 pm »
I thought The Pink was fine myself.  But then I’m of the view that it can’t fail so long as everyone’s saying what’s really on their mind.  Thought Paul Cope(?) had a decent stab at giving a contrary view too, you also need one of those.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19318 on: October 28, 2018, 09:44:15 pm »
OK, let's do some of this in order. Starting with the chat about The Greatest as it is useful as a microcosm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7kHi2gffeY

Thanks for taking the time to put this down. I liked your quip about Rob by the way !
I like you guys taking risks, involving new people, having a spread of "outsiders". I loved John's travelling kop chat with the 2 Irish lads pre-Cardiff for example.
Some of my favourite people are Rebecca (Chelsea), Paul (Spurs), Ste (Utd), Matt (Ev), Robbie(Palace). I enjoy the voices and opinions of supporters of other clubs.
In the last while you've made an effort to involve more women, you're giving people their head in fronting up shows. You can see confidence and personality growing with the youngsters like Josh.
In short I think ye gang are doing a brilliant job and creating a real connected feel between people and their experiences of loving this club. city, game, history.
I couldn't give a toss about any Pink or any one-off show, if I don't agree or like it that's fine.
I know it's smart to treat praise and criticism with equal non-attachment but mate, this is a fantastic creation and you all deserve huge credit for not just what ye do but how ye do it.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19319 on: October 29, 2018, 12:24:51 am »
  Thought Paul Cope(?) had a decent stab at giving a contrary view too, you also need one of those.
It was Paul Senior, Iska. The stabilising influence of the show  ;D

It's often, rightfully observed on TAW, how as fans we don't recognise how opposition players block the passing lines. It wasn't until the second half when Cardiff defended the Kop end we could see what they were doing. You had to have a particular angle in the ground watching their back line to understand their drill. 5 at the back with 1 constantly coming out and pressing. It was ultra-Warnock weary like who wanted a 2-nil defeat but the Reds fucked him off with a 4-1 twatting.