Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3302009 times)

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #19640 on: December 7, 2018, 09:21:51 am »
I actually like Rebecca. She does come out with some crap but she's generally quite funny and engaging. Also she doesn't just come on and talk about her own team like they're the greatest thing since sliced bread like a couple of other occasional contributors from the other end of the East Lancs road.

Agree with this. Rolled my eyes when she said 'when we used to win titles' though... what, 18 months ago?!

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19641 on: December 7, 2018, 09:23:45 am »
Rebecca, the Chelsea supporter, doesn't enjoy football does she?

Not listened to the review just yet, but it's always Sean's personal opinion I guess. I suppose the Burnley one is a set-piece goal if you really want to call it that, but it was a very lucky one for them.

She does. Unfortunately she has an unhealthy obsession with that prick down the M62.

She's absolutely outstanding on the European Show. Which theyve seemingly now ditched

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #19642 on: December 7, 2018, 09:57:36 am »
Rebecca turns on Chelsea managers quicker than milk left by a radiator.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #19643 on: December 7, 2018, 10:01:19 am »
Agree with this. Rolled my eyes when she said 'when we used to win titles' though... what, 18 months ago?!

Aye, you would think Chelsea had gone without winning anything for years the way she talks about them sometimes.  ;D

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19644 on: December 7, 2018, 10:03:23 am »
I’ve stopped listening to the Review now because I do find similar points are being raised each week.  I also prefer the more relaxed reviews of games that we get in the Pink and Monday show but that’s just personal preference. I know Sean is a licenced coach but maybe a few different voices every now and again would freshen it up.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19645 on: December 7, 2018, 11:34:17 am »
Rebecca, the Chelsea supporter, doesn't enjoy football does she?

Worst part is they seemed to have gone to some lengths to track down her long-lost sister from Burnley on a recent show.  ;D

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #19646 on: December 7, 2018, 12:00:55 pm »
a load of “Actually here’s my contrary opinion....”. Consistently. His latest theory...

I’ve stopped listening to the Review now because I do find similar points are being raised each week. 

And there's what I would imagine is the difficulty with doing shows. Some think it's consistent contrary opinions and a new theories, some think it's the same every week.

FWIW - I think The Review is generally great as it often points out things I haven't noticed. But it won't be for everyone.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19647 on: December 7, 2018, 12:05:29 pm »
And there's what I would imagine is the difficulty with doing shows. Some think it's consistent contrary opinions and a new theories, some think it's the same every week.

FWIW - I think The Review is generally great as it often points out things I haven't noticed. But it won't be for everyone.

I definitely don't think it's a show to listen to after every game. I pick and choose personally depending on how interesting the game was, especially tactically.

I actually miss Sean Rogers in the old school 'big room' shows. Him and Graves together were great. Would be nice to hear him on different shows from time to time.

Offline Damian V

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19648 on: December 7, 2018, 12:39:22 pm »
I actually like Rebecca. She does come out with some crap but she's generally quite funny and engaging. Also she doesn't just come on and talk about her own team like they're the greatest thing since sliced bread like a couple of other occasional contributors from the other end of the East Lancs road.
I don't mind her at all, but jesus christ it must be difficult watching your team every week with the mindset she has

Offline Ken Doral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19649 on: December 7, 2018, 05:01:45 pm »
Anyone having issues with the Friday show through the iPhone podcast player? It’s just complete silence for me.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19650 on: December 7, 2018, 06:01:19 pm »
Shaun Walsh won Twitter last night...

David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19651 on: December 7, 2018, 06:02:31 pm »
Anyone having issues with the Friday show through the iPhone podcast player? It’s just complete silence for me.

Sounds like you got the Bastion of Invincibility version with the pesky women and 20 somethings edited out.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #19652 on: December 7, 2018, 06:03:50 pm »
No problem for me.  Delete it and download it again.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19653 on: December 7, 2018, 06:09:52 pm »
Sounds like you got the Bastion of Invincibility version with the pesky women and 20 somethings edited out.

David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19654 on: December 8, 2018, 11:58:15 am »
Shaun Walsh won Twitter last night...

genius  ;D

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #19655 on: December 9, 2018, 03:01:46 pm »
I often wonder whether the review show would work well on Youtube. Discussing complex tactical issues with a tactics board (bit Tim Sherwood, I know), or some kind of visual stimulus would perhaps make it more digestible to those of without the coaching pathway in their back pocket.
They have something like this on YouTube now called the 2nd look, normally with Robbo. They also have preview show which Neil has a tactics board out. Which he’s geting better at, as he seemed nervous as hell when he first did it at the beginning of the season

"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #19656 on: December 10, 2018, 05:23:49 pm »
"Liverpool top of the league" Free podcast is for me back to Anfield Wrap's best.

Great job by Andy hosting and top line up of contributors. If there's an idea for subscribers to pick a line up to listen to I'd pay for these every week
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #19657 on: December 10, 2018, 08:17:55 pm »
Yeah that was good, a nice retro-TAW feel to it.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19658 on: December 10, 2018, 08:26:17 pm »
Loved the top of the league show, excellent stuff.

I thought the post match show after Bournemouth was terrible though, I had to switch off it was that bad. Whoever the girl was on it was especially bad, literally offered no comment that was worth listening to, a shame as I’d missed the game on Saturday as I was away for the weekend and was looking forward to that to listen to on the way to work this morning.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #19659 on: December 10, 2018, 10:13:59 pm »
"Liverpool top of the league" Free podcast is for me back to Anfield Wrap's best.

Great job by Andy hosting and top line up of contributors. If there's an idea for subscribers to pick a line up to listen to I'd pay for these every week
Yeah, it was good.

Don’t know why Andy seems nervous hosting, he’s great. The best football pundit on there, knows so much and is always the one to give an alternative and interesting view.

Creator of the t-Rex meme too!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #19660 on: December 10, 2018, 11:36:17 pm »

I thought the post match show after Bournemouth was terrible though, I had to switch off it was that bad. Whoever the girl was on it was especially bad, literally offered no comment that was worth listening to, a shame as I’d missed the game on Saturday as I was away for the weekend and was looking forward to that to listen to on the way to work this morning.

Yawn.

Oh no a girl. The post match show often has people just revelling in the moment, its never been a show for analysis and deep tactical insight. But yeah, ‘the girl’ is the only one who gets mentioned. For the record Caoimhe made me laugh her excitement was palpable and the rave about Allison was class.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19661 on: December 11, 2018, 07:52:44 am »
Yawn.

Oh no a girl. The post match show often has people just revelling in the moment, its never been a show for analysis and deep tactical insight. But yeah, ‘the girl’ is the only one who gets mentioned. For the record Caoimhe made me laugh her excitement was palpable and the rave about Allison was class.

It’s not because she’s a girl mate, I just found her annoying and very little of what she said aeemed to add anything. I find Mel Reddy excellent to listen to and there’s several other female contributors on there who are also excellent. I just found that show yesterday a bit of a waste of time.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19662 on: December 11, 2018, 11:13:27 am »
Enjoyed the review with Gutmann - not been on much recently. Sean and Andy were good guests. I also thought Gutmann 'handled' Andy well as he can be over-exuberant with giving his (worthwhile) opinion to the extent that he can interrupt a little too often. Strong show from all three.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #19663 on: December 11, 2018, 11:30:14 am »

I thought the post match show after Bournemouth was terrible though

Thought the post match show was OK but not one of the best. Think it may have be the combination of expectation, the time of day and the guests.

I think many people will have imagined an exuberant room of people after the 4-0 win. I don't think you got that because (a) it's too early in the day to be lashed, and (b) the combination of guests. With (b) it's more the fact that I think John G is better when he isn't hosting these types of programmes and the other 2 guests are not some of the more exuberant characters of the wide TAW cast.

I think all 3 guests have been very good on other shows. Just think that combo after a 4-0 win didn't gel that well. To be fair, the very nature of The Pink means it's going to be hit and miss, and people always won't find a Pink that matches their mood.

I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline danscib

• Main Stander
  • Igor in the changing room
« Reply #19664 on: December 11, 2018, 11:51:50 am »
It’s not because she’s a girl mate, I just found her annoying and very little of what she said aeemed to add anything. I find Mel Reddy excellent to listen to and there’s several other female contributors on there who are also excellent. I just found that show yesterday a bit of a waste of time.

What is it with people calling women, girls. The contributor was an adult, just like the men on there, which funnily enough makes them a group of men and women.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19665 on: December 11, 2018, 12:22:33 pm »
What is it with people calling women, girls. The contributor was an adult, just like the men on there, which funnily enough makes them a group of men and women.

Jesus Christ people will comment on absolutely anything. Do women never call men lads?

I just didn’t like the show and found her quite annoying. That’s it. I say similar about male pubdits very regularly as well and other female pundits who are also annoying. You’re not going to like everyone you see/listen to, it’s as simple as that.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #19666 on: December 11, 2018, 12:27:39 pm »
Jesus Christ people will comment on absolutely anything. Do women never call men lads?

I just didn’t like the show and found her quite annoying. That’s it. I say similar about male pubdits very regularly as well and other female pundits who are also annoying. You’re not going to like everyone you see/listen to, it’s as simple as that.

Do you have to call male pundits "pubdits", i find it highly offensive and especially in this day and age, you awful awful man

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #19667 on: December 11, 2018, 12:28:20 pm »

haha fucking hell mate, get a grip

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19668 on: December 11, 2018, 12:37:16 pm »
Do you have to call male pundits "pubdits", i find it highly offensive and especially in this day and age, you awful awful man

I think it was Ricky Gervais who said just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right, and that’s a very solid point I feel.

Anyway, the under the lights show is decent. Probably because there’s no women in it ;)

Offline danscib

• Main Stander
  • Igor in the changing room
« Reply #19669 on: December 11, 2018, 12:39:04 pm »
haha fucking hell mate, get a grip

Got loads of time for a good old laugh, and a good old grip :) It's just something I find annoying. 50 years time I reckon the regularity of which women are called girls will be looked back on as weird.

The Post Match Show was fun mind, nice diversity of opinions.

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
« Reply #19670 on: December 11, 2018, 12:39:17 pm »
Yeah, it was good.

Don’t know why Andy seems nervous hosting, he’s great. The best football pundit on there, knows so much and is always the one to give an alternative and interesting view.

Creator of the t-Rex meme too!

I do wish he would control the room a bit more some times though.  I thought a lot of people were talking over each other on Monday's show.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19671 on: December 11, 2018, 12:42:01 pm »
I do wish he would control the room a bit more some times though.  I thought a lot of people were talking over each other on Monday's show.

I noticed that. One of them, Nevin I think but I’m not sure, was continuously interrupting people. Decent show though.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #19672 on: December 11, 2018, 12:47:39 pm »
Like the Second Look with Gareth (never stop calling out Daniel Taylor please)  presenting. Since they include stats, they'd be better off with including xG which is a better representation of chances created.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19673 on: December 11, 2018, 02:02:40 pm »
I know, right?  So weird.

It's not like men are ever called "lad" or "kid".

Proper misogynistic and that.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #19674 on: December 11, 2018, 02:04:19 pm »
Got loads of time for a good old laugh, and a good old grip :) It's just something I find annoying. 50 years time I reckon the regularity of which women are called girls will be looked back on as weird.

The Post Match Show was fun mind, nice diversity of opinions.
Girls is the female form of ‘guys’.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #19675 on: December 11, 2018, 02:10:13 pm »
Girls is the female form of ‘guys’.
Girls is female form of 'boys', clearly so. And you wouldn't generally address a mixed group of males as 'boys'. If they're your friends you might say 'my boys', and if you're deliberately trying to create an overly informal atmosphere you might say 'hey boys', or as a kind of flirty greeting from a girl 'hey boy', but you wouldn't walk into a room and say 'hey boys' - but you could and would with 'guys'. Think about it in professional settings, too. You could certainly say 'what's on the agenda guys?' in meeting, for example. You wouldn't use girls/boys in that setting.

As a result of that, I'd say guys is increasingly used as a gender-neutral term, precisely ***because*** the language lacks an informal term for a group of women that doesn't come with certain connotations. Saying 'girls' to a group of women is clearly diminuative, it has an implicit lack of respect or over familiarity because it's obviously younger than women are. Same as using 'boys' would for men in the wrong context.

Saying 'guys' doesn't have any age implications, it has connotations of friendliness and informal grouping.

What else could we use for women that does the same thing?
Ladies? No.
Sisters? No.
Lasses? For me yes, lads/lasses had the same connotations for me, but it's not used throughout the UK and it's too informal to be useful in all settings, EG with a new group or in a professional setting.
Women? We just don't use 'women' or 'men' in that way for some reason.

So, what's happening? Guys absolutely gets used for a group of men (of mixed ages too), for a mixed group, and, increasingly, I find I'm using it for groups of women too, with no-one batting an eyelid.

Possibly also helped by there being a direct Italian equivalent in 'Ragazzi' - it means there's just a few more English users to latch onto that use of 'guys' and spread it around even more.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:14:47 pm by hesbighesred »
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19676 on: December 11, 2018, 02:19:51 pm »

I thought the exact opposite. I really enjoyed the craic and the "pink stallion" rant was great fun. Well in Caoimhe and the gang. More of that please.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19677 on: December 11, 2018, 02:20:26 pm »
Jesus the world has gone fucking mad.

In Liverpool ‘alright girl’ is a perfeclty common phrase, if I walked up to a woman and said ‘alright woman,’ I’d probably get a slap.

It’s not meant as a reference to her age or anything. Christ talk about fucking overthinking stuff, this is absolutely mental.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:22:28 pm by Jm55 »

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19678 on: December 11, 2018, 02:21:49 pm »
Put it to the females (that's still OK I hope) of RAWK. I'm pretty sure girls is perfectly acceptable, I might be wrong.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #19679 on: December 11, 2018, 02:22:24 pm »
People are allowed to think a contributor is shite even if they are female.