Author Topic: Loan Watch 2018-2019  (Read 181533 times)

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
Re: Loan Watch 2018-2019
« Reply #480 on: December 2, 2018, 01:48:51 pm »
The lad's fast, certainly quicker than the likes of  Shaqiri, Bobby, Solanke and possibly Origi.
Doesn't look any slower than Bobby is or Phil was to be fair to him

I'll defer to both of you since I haven't seen enough of him in games to speak definitively on his pace. What's encouraging for me, in addition to his goal-getting and freekick-taking, is his intelligence to find and make space, and use that space well, in those pockets between the opposition defensive lines. A much more valuable attribute than outright pace.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #481 on: December 2, 2018, 01:59:24 pm »
I wouldn’t call him fast, he’s quick off the mark though which is much more important for a footballer. There won’t be many that can beat him off the mark over the first 10-20 yards but stick him in a 100m race I don’t think he’d be the fastest (Salah would destroy everyone in that).
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #482 on: December 2, 2018, 02:03:45 pm »
The lad's fast, certainly quicker than the likes of  Shaqiri, Bobby, Solanke and possibly Origi.

Evidence?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: December 2, 2018, 02:04:34 pm »
Origi is actually pretty fast - might not “look” it since he’s tall/gangly

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: December 2, 2018, 02:07:25 pm »
I wouldn’t call him fast, he’s quick off the mark though which is much more important for a footballer. There won’t be many that can beat him off the mark over the first 10-20 yards but stick him in a 100m race I don’t think he’d be the fastest (Salah would destroy everyone in that).

Apparently Gomez is the lad that would win out in that according to a few at the club

/

Origi and Solanke are both quicker than people seem to realise

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #485 on: December 2, 2018, 02:15:10 pm »
Evidence?

From watching a fair bit of him, especially with the u23's. I would say he and Kent were about as quick as each other. Put it this way, not once have I thought he's too slow to make the 1st team. Never even entered my thinking whilst watching him, until reading through this thread.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #486 on: December 2, 2018, 02:16:14 pm »
Evidence?

I think there is a video on reddit of all his goals this season, i think the first one he's legging it up the pitch and flying

there we go

https://twitter.com/_omeara_r/status/1068976924859531264?s=21

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #487 on: December 2, 2018, 07:41:25 pm »
Apparently Gomez is the lad that would win out in that according to a few at the club

/

Origi and Solanke are both quicker than people seem to realise

Yeah, Salah isn't winning a 100m race, his speed is over short distances to get the drop on defenders.  The taller players will be quicker over a longer distance.  Wilson isn't slow nor is he a pace merchant, but his touch and movement is so good that it makes him look quicker than he actually is.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #488 on: December 5, 2018, 02:31:18 pm »
Just been watching the Wilson goal compilation and lots of them are pretty damn special. That being said, I don't watch him week in/week out at Derby and so just wondering why his assists are so low. Anyone got any ideas?

Will be interesting to see how/if he gets a chance at Liverpool next year. The sad reality is that I can't see us not going out and spending big in his position on the off chance he might be able to step up next year.

For the record, I like what I see so it shouldn't be interpreted that I'm bashing him
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: December 5, 2018, 03:04:32 pm »
Sounds like Grujić was good on the weekend as Hertha BSC won 2-0. In the Bundesliga team of the week.

He's playing as one of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 which is giving him a great chance to impress Klopp.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #490 on: December 5, 2018, 03:31:05 pm »
Sounds like Grujić was good on the weekend as Hertha BSC won 2-0. In the Bundesliga team of the week.

He's playing as one of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 which is giving him a great chance to impress Klopp.

he's doing really well there. Seems like an excellent loan for him. They love him there too, the fans are hoping   that somehow they can keep him next season too  :D   

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #491 on: December 6, 2018, 03:09:47 pm »
he's doing really well there. Seems like an excellent loan for him. They love him there too, the fans are hoping   that somehow they can keep him next season too  :D   

Actually, they're now hoping they can keep him beyond Christmas. Lampard has just said Liverpool can get him back for January if they wish.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: December 6, 2018, 03:13:25 pm »
Actually, they're now hoping they can keep him beyond Christmas. Lampard has just said Liverpool can get him back for January if they wish.

Very interesting!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #493 on: December 6, 2018, 03:15:13 pm »

I was talking bout Grujic and the Hertha BSC fans  :)

I read that about Wilson though just now, I guess it may depend on injuries / sales as to what Liverpool do.  I'd guess they'd prefer he stays and plays though, rather than be sat on the bench here. Nice option though!

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: December 6, 2018, 06:44:39 pm »
Not digging Wilson's shot chart but am willing to give it some more time.

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
« Reply #495 on: December 6, 2018, 06:47:44 pm »

Good to hear that and fact that he is back after his injury. Had a good start this season, then got derailed by injury.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #496 on: December 6, 2018, 06:57:49 pm »
Not digging Wilson's shot chart but am willing to give it some more time.

Who gives a fuck about a shot chart when you can hit them like that from 30 yards. I'm a fan of stats but they're not the be all and end all, lads a player everyone can see it.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: December 6, 2018, 09:11:39 pm »
Who gives a fuck about a shot chart when you can hit them like that from 30 yards. I'm a fan of stats but they're not the be all and end all, lads a player everyone can see it.

A player good enough for LFC though is the question.  At this point I'd say no. 

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #498 on: December 6, 2018, 09:49:40 pm »
A player good enough for LFC though is the question.  At this point I'd say no.

If he was playing for them permanently - much like Maddison at Norwich - I can't help but think that would be a different answer. He's done nothing to suggest he isn't good enough for us long term throughout his time here as youth and senior.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: December 6, 2018, 10:20:49 pm »
Ain't no way he's as quick as Origi. I reckon he's about Shaqiri's speed, ie pretty slow for an archetypal wide man though reasonable for a CM, but like Shaqiri he can probably make up for it with his technical attributes.

No offence, but I really don't see where this idea of him being quick comes from. He's not. It may not be a dealbreaker with regards to his future here, but it could be unless he shifts centrally.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #500 on: December 6, 2018, 10:40:14 pm »
Don't quite understand those who are certain Harry Wilson isn't good enough for us and very keen to broadcast that view.  He has been with us for years, has an excellent record at youth, Championship and international level.  That level of pedigree is not everyday.  Is the Welsh thing a problem for some?  Not saying it is, and not aware it has been with the likes of Rusty, Saunders and even Woodburn, just that I really can't understand why some don't want him to have his chance.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: December 6, 2018, 11:18:29 pm »
If he was playing for them permanently - much like Maddison at Norwich - I can't help but think that would be a different answer. He's done nothing to suggest he isn't good enough for us long term throughout his time here as youth and senior.

I can't speak for anybody but myself.  Maddison and Wilson are completely different players.  When I look at what Wilson is doing at Derby I see a winger that shoots 3 times a game from distance, takes their free kicks and doesn't add much else.  That's not a combination that leads to consistent goal scoring unless he's the greatest long ranged shooter in history which I somewhat doubt he is.

Don't quite understand those who are certain Harry Wilson isn't good enough for us and very keen to broadcast that view.  He has been with us for years, has an excellent record at youth, Championship and international level.  That level of pedigree is not everyday.  Is the Welsh thing a problem for some?  Not saying it is, and not aware it has been with the likes of Rusty, Saunders and even Woodburn, just that I really can't understand why some don't want him to have his chance.

He has had his chance and it was decided he needed to be loaned as he wasn't good enough "now" to stay.  I highly doubt his time at Derby is going to change that.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2018, 11:20:05 pm by BrandoLFC »

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #502 on: December 6, 2018, 11:20:16 pm »
Ain't no way he's as quick as Origi. I reckon he's about Shaqiri's speed, ie pretty slow for an archetypal wide man though reasonable for a CM, but like Shaqiri he can probably make up for it with his technical attributes.

No offence, but I really don't see where this idea of him being quick comes from. He's not. It may not be a dealbreaker with regards to his future here, but it could be unless he shifts centrally.

It comes from the correct perception that he's quick with the ball at his feet.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: December 6, 2018, 11:25:42 pm »

Maybe because he's almost 22 and he's only had half a season with Hull and half a season with Derby in the Championship. Also, Klopp has never given him a look in while the likes of Kent and Woodburn have been given time in the cups by Klopp. Not saying he's definitely not going to make it but he's up against it.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: December 6, 2018, 11:35:36 pm »
I can't speak for anybody but myself.  Maddison and Wilson are completely different players.  When I look at what Wilson is doing at Derby I see a winger that shoots 3 times a game from distance, takes their free kicks and doesn't add much else.  That's not a combination that leads to consistent goal scoring unless he's the greatest long ranged shooter in history which I somewhat doubt he is.

He has had his chance and it was decided he needed to be loaned as he wasn't good enough "now" to stay.  I highly doubt his time at Derby is going to change that.

But you're not looking at him, you're looking at numbers on a screen.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: December 6, 2018, 11:53:49 pm »
But you're not looking at him, you're looking at numbers on a screen.

I've watched highlights, at least 2 full 90's and then corroborated with his stats.  Are you saying he's a completely different player than I'm describing? 

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #506 on: December 7, 2018, 12:01:04 am »

He's faster than Origi over 5 yards, which is really all that is important. He's not slow but he's not Salah fast either. I'd say a good reference point to Wilson is Pedro. Fast in the head and over a few yards.

The age thing, he missed a long time because he had two serious injuries that set back his development which was already being managed because physically he was well off adult football three years back. I can't help but find it interesting how there's some on here who can be so certain he won't make it here despite barely watching him at all during any point of his career.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: December 7, 2018, 12:21:34 am »
I've watched highlights, at least 2 full 90's and then corroborated with his stats.  Are you saying he's a completely different player than I'm describing?

I think systems and styles of play will play a huge part in his numbers. He's a natural with the ball at his feet and has the technical level to play for a top 6 team. The only slight and it's a very slight concern is his athleticism but I feel that won't be a factor.

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #508 on: December 7, 2018, 02:36:33 am »
yeah we will probably buy a Maddison in a year or two for crazy money. Sessengon,Crainey,Traore all killed the championship but are ehh in the PL. Wilson is doing what they are doing plus more. I would recall him...

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: December 7, 2018, 03:47:04 am »

Highlights...

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: December 7, 2018, 04:12:56 am »
Highlights...

So you've watched all of Derby's full 90's then and have a better idea for Wilson the player in the Championship than anyone here?  If so please go over how the player that I've seen and stats confirm (high volume outside of the box shooter) is not accurate.  I want LFC to win every trophy possible and if Wilson will help do that then I'm all for it.  I just don't see it but would love to be proved wrong.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: December 7, 2018, 07:08:36 am »

I spoke to a Derby fan and he said that the fans are desperate for Wilson to stay and his goals have been amazing but in terms of all round play he still has loads to prove.

Maybe he will need another loan next summer but to a Premier League side?

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: December 7, 2018, 08:12:08 am »

Fortunately our management have a more patient approach to youth development

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #513 on: December 7, 2018, 08:42:33 am »
So you've watched all of Derby's full 90's then and have a better idea for Wilson the player in the Championship than anyone here?  If so please go over how the player that I've seen and stats confirm (high volume outside of the box shooter) is not accurate.  I want LFC to win every trophy possible and if Wilson will help do that then I'm all for it.  I just don't see it but would love to be proved wrong.

I think there's probably a happy medium where people don't think he's already doomed to fail, but on the flip side don't think that he's already good enough to get into a team which has been performing as one the top 2/3 sides in Europe for a good 12 months now. He deserves an opportunity to see if he can maintain the form he's been showing at a good level, but its certainly not the guarantee certain posters seem to think it is. There's a few other young attacking midfielders, like Grealish or Harvey Barnes, who are also performing very well and have done previously in the Championship but then Grealish was strongly linked with Spurs over the summer for £20 million plus so again, Wilson is definitely worth a crack and hopefully he grabs it and saves us a load of money.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: December 7, 2018, 09:32:43 am »

I’ve watched him from u18’s I know what type of player he is, if you don’t think he’s a goal scorer then please stop talking about him because you’ve missed the most consistent part of his game since before he was 16.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2018, 09:35:25 am by Coolie High »

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: December 7, 2018, 12:02:47 pm »
I think there's probably a happy medium where people don't think he's already doomed to fail, but on the flip side don't think that he's already good enough to get into a team which has been performing as one the top 2/3 sides in Europe for a good 12 months now. He deserves an opportunity to see if he can maintain the form he's been showing at a good level, but its certainly not the guarantee certain posters seem to think it is. There's a few other young attacking midfielders, like Grealish or Harvey Barnes, who are also performing very well and have done previously in the Championship but then Grealish was strongly linked with Spurs over the summer for £20 million plus so again, Wilson is definitely worth a crack and hopefully he grabs it and saves us a load of money.

That sounds far too balanced for this forum.  I am not sure anyone sees Harry as a “guarantee” though, young players rarely are; just someone who now deserves a chance.  Not a radical idea for someone tearing it up in the Championship for a year

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: December 7, 2018, 01:09:56 pm »
But what chance does he deserve? A recall and a chance to play minutes ahead of players we already have between Jan-May? Or a chance to impress in training to show that he's at a better level than some of the players getting minutes for us? Because he got the latter in pre-season and Klopp decided to loan him out and go with what we have now. The onus is on Wilson to impress when he returns for pre-season and show he is better than the options we already have and by that time there may be more quality that we've bought in.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: December 7, 2018, 01:37:37 pm »
Wilson has now equaled the 5 goals the Jordan Ibe scored for Derby in the championship having played about 80 minutes less. Ibe was only 19 though. I can't remember people calling Ibe an incredible talent at the time. What gives?
Such a lazy argument, expect better from you.

I dunno... maybe it's a lazy argument in this case, but Ibe is a great example of how someone can look great at Championship level and be nowhere near good enough for Liverpool.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: December 7, 2018, 02:23:07 pm »
I dunno... maybe it's a lazy argument in this case, but Ibe is a great example of how someone can look great at Championship level and be nowhere near good enough for Liverpool.

And Mahrez is the opposite, so now what? Lazy argument two different players, tactically or technically there has always been a great disparity between the two.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: December 7, 2018, 02:54:40 pm »
But what chance does he deserve? A recall and a chance to play minutes ahead of players we already have between Jan-May? Or a chance to impress in training to show that he's at a better level than some of the players getting minutes for us? Because he got the latter in pre-season and Klopp decided to loan him out and go with what we have now. The onus is on Wilson to impress when he returns for pre-season and show he is better than the options we already have and by that time there may be more quality that we've bought in.

Klopp has said that he will be here next season. I would assume he therefore intends to give him some game time and it would then be up to Harry