Author Topic: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain  (Read 760853 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
« Reply #600 on: December 18, 2017, 10:51:15 am »
I thought the tackle in midfield, followed by the mazy run and the shot that hit the post is a sign of things to come.

Except for hitting the post, obviously.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: December 18, 2017, 10:53:56 am »
To be honest I was one of the; "Why did we buy this over-rated player?

Yesterday I was very pleased with his on-pitch performance, but even more pleased with his response to the interview question re Phil. That was total class, and for me the moment he "arrived as a Liverpool player".
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #602 on: December 18, 2017, 10:54:22 am »
Still only 24 too so there is plenty of time to improve. Klopp and his team are the exact right people to it.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #603 on: December 18, 2017, 11:01:57 am »
Can't be underestimated just how many fans and people he got onside by his performance and then interview yesterday. As others have said the day he truly became an LFC player imo. That's what we want to see.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: December 18, 2017, 11:03:55 am »
I was one that didn't rate him much when he was at Arsenal but he's been really good for us. Would like him to play more games to be honest, he's put in some good performances but found himself out the team not long after.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: December 18, 2017, 11:05:48 am »
Can't be underestimated just how many fans and people he got onside by his performance and then interview yesterday. As others have said the day he truly became an LFC player imo. That's what we want to see.

I Sky+ the game yesterday

Can't wait to re-watch the goals obviously but especially want to see AOC in his interview. 

From what I've been hearing it sounds epic :)

edit: Couldn't wait and watched the interview on YouTube.  AOC that's the fucking spirit lad. Brilliant. Now THAT's teamwork :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:12:40 am by Buck Pete »

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: December 18, 2017, 11:16:22 am »
Holding my hands up, did well yesterday! Now just a little bit more is all we need 😉
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline MattyBoy21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #607 on: December 18, 2017, 11:22:03 am »
I was never against the signing but I was hardly excited by it. The last few performances have shown me exactly why we bought him though and I can say I am excited to see what Klopp can get out of him over the next few years where he will be hitting his prime.

If he keeps improving like he has over the past few months we have a proper player. Brings something extra to the midfield that we often lack. Attitude is bang on too.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: December 18, 2017, 11:23:13 am »
How awesome it is to see how Klopp unlocks the true potential in a player. Ox is definitely gifted and if he performs like he did at Bournemouth, he's going to be an integral part of the team

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: December 18, 2017, 11:44:32 am »
Klopp knows his attackers. That was all I thought about when we bid so much for a guy in his last year. When it comes to final 3rd Klopp has not put a foot wrong

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: December 18, 2017, 11:52:20 am »
I think it was more that he was gunning for the position Aaron Ramsey had made his own. The Lallana injury's meant he's had more minutes here than he otherwise would have but glad to see he's coming along well.
Don't think Arsenal did him too much wrong, more rather they didn't have a position for him. Most importantly, we, Liverpool, whoever, recognised he has abilities we can get the most out of, and he was smart enough to want the move.
We paid a lot, and that's obviously because Klopp sees him as a major part of the team going forward, and he is looking increasingly influential, strong, direct, and determined.
He's got a lot of experience too, and is still young. 
I think he could be a key signing.
And good of Arsenal to give him a top football education without being able to fully utilise it.

That's roughly what I mean.

I wouldn't say Ramsey kept him out of the team given that Ramsey had a couple of poor seasons recently, more that Arsenal just don't play a formation that suits him; he doesn't play deep and maybe isn't productive enough to be an out and out #10, especially with a player like Ozil around. With us he can play that Lallana role really well, he has the right mix of energy, tenacity, pace and vision to make that position his own over time too, though I'm sure Adam will have something to say about that now he's back.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: December 18, 2017, 12:28:44 pm »
I wouldn't say Ramsey kept him out of the team given that Ramsey had a couple of poor seasons recently, more that Arsenal just don't play a formation that suits him; he doesn't play deep and maybe isn't productive enough to be an out and out #10, especially with a player like Ozil around. With us he can play that Lallana role really well, he has the right mix of energy, tenacity, pace and vision to make that position his own over time too, though I'm sure Adam will have something to say about that now he's back.

I do not think it is about Arsenal's formation etc. How many youngsters displace the more experienced, older and physically stronger incumbent? It is the exception rather than the rule. Is TAA not a midfielder? Youngsters good enough to break into the first team tend to start on the side of the pitch and eventually move into the centre. AOC has all the attributes to play in the centre and is of age where he is coming through. He has had great experience playing for a Champs league team and will be a great asset under Klopp's tutelage. I have no doubt he will be good signing for us.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:47:12 pm by nico 8 »

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: December 18, 2017, 12:36:54 pm »
Although Ox has the potential to play in midfield, does he have the nous to unlock defences as Cout. I do not think so. Ox seems to be a more direct player. We still need some one with tricky skills as the likes of Cout, Silva and Ericksen.

Totally agree with this.
The silky players are the really special ones and are difficult to come by. As always there is a place for the direct and stronger type players. All about balance across midfield and the pitch.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: December 18, 2017, 12:42:02 pm »
I thought the tackle in midfield, followed by the mazy run and the shot that hit the post is a sign of things to come.

Except for hitting the post, obviously.

With more game time in the middle, his shooting and goal ratio will improve. Obviously he will need to continue working at it which I have no doubt he will given his general attitude and application.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: December 18, 2017, 12:43:03 pm »
Today he arrived as a Liverpool player. top player, top bloke. Welcome Alex!

Such arrival will be complete when he scores on Friday night.

Offline MattyBoy21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #615 on: December 18, 2017, 12:45:35 pm »
Such arrival will be complete when he scores on Friday night.

And celebrates.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: December 18, 2017, 12:46:16 pm »
I'd prefer him over Can

As a 8 but not at 6 even if Can is not my ideal 6 either.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: December 18, 2017, 12:54:30 pm »

Originally we had Alexis, Ramsey & Ozil behind Giroud up front, in CM he couldn't win a CM spot as Cazorla always had the other, which needed more defensive nous than the Ox provides.  That changed to where Ozil played 10, Ramsey in CM and Oxlade was forced to RWB and LWB.  He's a very streaky player, looks amazing one week, shite the other, which caused Wenger to sub him a lot.   

In interviews he's said he tends to read a lot about performances, absorbs some of the negativity, and being dropped can't have helped him - were I Klopp I'd keep playing him at #8, let the forwards do their thing, and let his quality on the ball help get the team out of some rough situations even if his positioning can be suspect sometimes.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: December 18, 2017, 01:00:51 pm »
How many times do we say this? Just proves there’s a lot of people out there who know fuck all. Off the top of my head I remember a lot of people questioning the signings of Salah, Mane, Lallana, Sturridge and Coutinho. Just goes to show that you should give a player a chance before writing him off.

100% agree with this. Even where a player has a blip, as fans we need to be patient and give support. Up to the manager to decide where and when to improve on a player and position. Hell- if I was Klopp I would have turfed Mignolet a long time ago. His stats, I think, are improving each season and he has been a lot better if not good under the high ball and crosses. Despite this improvement, should someone better come along, like any other position, I would make the upgrade.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: December 18, 2017, 01:05:59 pm »
Infinitely better than Wijnaldum once again.

Amazing how Klopp continues to select him. I agree that he had too many side and backward passes yesterday but I do believe that Klopp likes his conservative approach in balancing the team. Sometimes he slows the game down instaed of being gung ho much to the fans frustration. A spell of possession where the other team needs to chase the ball can be a good thing. One of the frustrations I have in watching Barcelona. They choose their moments when to break on the counter.  Imagine if both him and Roberston were bombing forward all the time.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #620 on: December 18, 2017, 01:21:15 pm »

Amazing how Klopp continues to select him. I agree that he had too many side and backward passes yesterday but I do believe that Klopp likes his conservative approach in balancing the team. Sometimes he slows the game down instaed of being gung ho much to the fans frustration. A spell of possession where the other team needs to chase the ball can be a good thing. One of the frustrations I have in watching Barcelona. They choose their moments when to break on the counter.  Imagine if both him and Roberston were bombing forward all the time.

Interesting. I think that Gini is following instructions. His disciplined positioning allows a platform for the attacking mid like Chamberlain to surge ahead in attack or pressing. while offering support for Robertson and Henderson when they surge forward. It's not a spectacular role, but it is important as we don't have a disciplined 6 nor do we play with two DMs.

The combination of Chamberlain, Gini and Henderson was the most balanced we have looked all season in midfield.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #621 on: December 18, 2017, 01:36:08 pm »
Interesting. I think that Gini is following instructions. His disciplined positioning allows a platform for the attacking mid like Chamberlain to surge ahead in attack or pressing. while offering support for Robertson and Henderson when they surge forward. It's not a spectacular role, but it is important as we don't have a disciplined 6 nor do we play with two DMs.

The combination of Chamberlain, Gini and Henderson was the most balanced we have looked all season in midfield.

yeah it looked good.

and people need to realise Tony's comment was just because of a bizarre hatred he has for a Liverpool player. Gini could play out of his skin every minute of every game and this guy would find a way to put him down :)

I always feel happier when Wijnaldum starts games for Liverpool, the midfield just seems to function a hell of a lot better most of the time when he is there.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #622 on: December 18, 2017, 01:55:51 pm »
Originally we had Alexis, Ramsey & Ozil behind Giroud up front, in CM he couldn't win a CM spot as Cazorla always had the other, which needed more defensive nous than the Ox provides.  That changed to where Ozil played 10, Ramsey in CM and Oxlade was forced to RWB and LWB.  He's a very streaky player, looks amazing one week, shite the other, which caused Wenger to sub him a lot.   

In interviews he's said he tends to read a lot about performances, absorbs some of the negativity, and being dropped can't have helped him - were I Klopp I'd keep playing him at #8, let the forwards do their thing, and let his quality on the ball help get the team out of some rough situations even if his positioning can be suspect sometimes.
I dunno, but he appears to me to have box-to-box attributes?(minus the skill of tackling)
What's your take on him?

Also- he seems to have a bit of a defiant streak in him. Is that something you agree with having seen him more than us?
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: December 18, 2017, 02:00:39 pm »
I always feel happier when Wijnaldum starts games for Liverpool, the midfield just seems to function a hell of a lot better most of the time when he is there.

I fully believe that's because he is the only midfielder we have who is very capable and confident or receiving the ball in a very tight area in the middle of the pitch and keeping possession. It's amazing how much space that creates for others

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #624 on: December 18, 2017, 02:10:17 pm »
It takes about 8 people to carry the piano and the rest to play it.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #625 on: December 18, 2017, 02:21:14 pm »
yeah it looked good.

and people need to realise Tony's comment was just because of a bizarre hatred he has for a Liverpool player. Gini could play out of his skin every minute of every game and this guy would find a way to put him down :)

Hate really ?? fcukinell

Do people hate Can, Lovren, Migs, Karius, Moreno, Hendo...they have received plenty of stick from many a poster on here but I don't believe people hate them

Its very frustrating when he plays as well as he did against Arsenal then disappears from games like he did yet again yesterday - it's a constant theme with this guy

Now if you'd have said I don't Rate him you'd be more accurate  ;)

Anyway back on track the threads about the Ox who had a very good game yesterday
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:24:14 pm by Tony18:5 »
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: December 18, 2017, 02:43:16 pm »
Me and a few others could see what Klopp wanted from him when he joined. Very similar to Lallana, a winger who doesn't score enough to play as a winger but has excellent passing and dribbling skills and is good at pressing. So here's hoping within the next few weeks we end up having 2 Lallana's in midfield, I don't think any team would want to play against that.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: December 18, 2017, 02:43:26 pm »
I dunno, but he appears to me to have box-to-box attributes?(minus the skill of tackling)
What's your take on him?

Also- he seems to have a bit of a defiant streak in him. Is that something you agree with having seen him more than us?

Yeah he's potentially box to box, think he's been stuck on the wing most of the time as if he loses the ball on one of his winding runs it's less damaging.  Certainly defiant, sometimes overcomplicates things when you're behind in a game but he's the sort of player you'd want in the squad anyway.  Loads of potential and the counter attacking style suits his explosive pace more than Wenger's pass-it-around training, but at least he has very good technique because of that.  In a way he's lucky it's only Henderson (flawed) and Gini (streaky) he's playing against for a spot, at least until Keita arrives.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: December 18, 2017, 02:45:18 pm »
Still only 24 too so there is plenty of time to improve. Klopp and his team are the exact right people to it.
wow cant believe still that young , seems have been around for years :)

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: December 18, 2017, 02:46:16 pm »
wow cant believe still that young , seems have been around for years :)

Has been around for a while, but only just starting to play football. Massive credit to Klopp.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: December 18, 2017, 02:50:36 pm »
love that drive at the Bournemouth defence and shot off the post, really attacking and powerful Klopp would have loved that

he seems to be staying injury free which was my main worry, post match interview really class

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #631 on: December 18, 2017, 05:08:56 pm »

Me and a few others could see what Klopp wanted from him when he joined. Very similar to Lallana, a winger who doesn't score enough to play as a winger but has excellent passing and dribbling skills and is good at pressing. So here's hoping within the next few weeks we end up having 2 Lallana's in midfield, I don't think any team would want to play against that.

That is  a great description of AOC and Lallana.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #632 on: December 18, 2017, 05:36:48 pm »
love that drive at the Bournemouth defence and shot off the post, really attacking and powerful Klopp would have loved that

he seems to be staying injury free which was my main worry, post match interview really class

Do you know I'd forgotten about the injury concerns? Didn't stop him making that almost Souness type tackle to win the ball before he hit the post.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #633 on: December 18, 2017, 06:14:31 pm »
Surely has to start at Arsenal. I’d play the same team.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: December 18, 2017, 06:23:25 pm »

He will be very eager to start and show them up - though I don't think he really left on bad terms

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: December 18, 2017, 06:26:15 pm »

Yep. He's want to shut the haters up. Be disappointed if he doesn't start.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: December 18, 2017, 06:29:59 pm »
On the other hand - Mane seems to love scoring against Arsenal

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: December 18, 2017, 06:36:49 pm »
Early days yet for the lad but yesterday was a bit more like it. Slowly getting into the stride of things here and will be interesting to see how he progresses and at who's expense. Eventually if he wants to figure in one of the two attacking berths of CM he will have to up his game quite a lot as you like to be getting 6 - 8 goals / similar assists from that area of the park. The jury is out as last season Gini did quite well in his first season but has second season growing pains. Ox may be the opposite but you would like to see both of them next year maturing quite nicely considering the sizable outlay.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Curtisinho

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #638 on: December 18, 2017, 06:51:26 pm »
Really enjoying watching him play. He's very bullish on the ball and brings a spark to the midfield that really helps make room for the forwards to take advantage of. Always liked the signing of this lad and Robertson but am even happier now that I've actually seen how they fit into the side...and I'm sure there's much more to come from them both!
Walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #639 on: December 18, 2017, 07:28:53 pm »
Playing well at the min and alot more to come. Great attitude, hope he keeps it up!
YNWA