Author Topic: Malaysian passenger plane reportedly shot down.  (Read 62350 times)

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Malaysian passenger plane reportedly shot down.
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2014, 06:31:09 pm »
Why would it be unimaginable?

Why would they? They have the sympathy of most nations already and to do this would destroy all that in an instant, especially as the chances of them "getting away with it" is remote. There will be enough satellite coverage of the area to show if the Ukraine Air Force shot them down, or correspondingly if it was from a missile battery in Ukraine territory.

Offline dundeered

• Legacy Fan
  • DING DING ! All aboard the offended bus
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2014, 06:31:59 pm »
Jeez , horrible incident ,RIP
JFT96

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2014, 06:34:26 pm »
No confirmation it was shot down yet. Both sides denying responsibility. No intelligence to say that pro-russians or Ukrainians held the technology needed to shoot down a commercial flight.

Plus its not the first Malaysian airlines flight do go down in unknown circumstances this year.

9 britons on the flight
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:39:03 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2014, 06:35:41 pm »
Interior ministry advisor to Interfax News (a Russian News Agency) saying over 300 are dead...

Source: https://twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/489824865890074624 (a verified account).
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2014, 06:38:33 pm »
Why would it be unimaginable?

Because it is implausible and ridiculous.

Their situation is undeniably difficult but most of the Western world is siding with the Government of Ukraine. The possible gain of other countries condemning the rebels would be nowhere NEAR worth the risk of someone finding out that the government had done it intentionally in a 'false flag' attack. It would jeopardize the future of Ukraine as a state, lose them all international support and enormously strengthen the position of the rebels.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2014, 06:45:18 pm »
Because it is implausible and ridiculous.

Their situation is undeniably difficult but most of the Western world is siding with the Government of Ukraine. The possible gain of other countries condemning the rebels would be nowhere NEAR worth the risk of someone finding out that the government had done it intentionally in a 'false flag' attack. It would jeopardize the future of Ukraine as a state, lose them all international support and enormously strengthen the position of the rebels.

It's a war, the implausible and ridiculous are common occurrences.

Anyway, let's wait for further news.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2014, 06:51:36 pm »
Sky News has "Sky Sources: Plane flying in restricted area 'Unsuitable for civilian aircraft'" on their channel.  Just going to lead to more speculation.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2014, 07:00:26 pm »
This is unbelievable. RIP to those on board.

Hopefully no stone will be left unturned and if anyone is responsible they face the toughest justice possible. With reports of at least 2 dozen or so US citizens on board, the US govt will pile the pressure on Ukraine and Russia to get to the bottom of this.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2014, 07:03:42 pm »
Roland Oliphant, from The Telegraph, reports from Moscow:

The following was posted on Igor Strelkov's Vkontakte page at 17:50 Moscow time, about an hour before news of the 777 crash broke:

"Message from the militia:
"In the district of Torez an An-26 was just shot down. It crashed somewhere near the Progress mine. We warned them not to fly in "our skies". Here is video confirmation of the latest "fallen bird". The bird landed outside the residential zone, no peaceful civilians were injured."
There is also information of a second downed plane, probably an Su"
[a Sukhoi combat jet].

Mr Strekov lated posted copy from an Interfax wire that quotes another rebel leader denying involvement in the 777 downing, saying the DNR does not have any weapons capably of bringing down an aircraft at 10,000 meters.

Torez lies 40 miles east of Donetsk, and appears to correspond to the location of the 777 crash, but this cannot be confirmed and it is unclear whether Mr Strelkov or the militia men who sent in the report mistook the 777 for an An-26 or whether two aircraft were downed in the same area.
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2014, 07:07:09 pm »
Interior ministry advisor to Interfax News (a Russian News Agency) saying over 300 are dead...

Source: https://twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/489824865890074624 (a verified account).

Jesus Christ. RIP.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2014, 07:07:35 pm »
19:00: A tweet (in Russian) from a key Twitter account used by pro-Russian separatists, in which they claim to have captured a Buk surface-to-air missile system, has now been deleted, BBC Monitoring observes. Ukrainians say the Malaysian plane could have been downed with a Buk, but pro-Russian rebels have now denied they have it.

From BBC.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2014, 07:11:59 pm »
At least 23 US citizens among the passengers, according to Interfax.
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2014, 07:12:43 pm »
19:00: A tweet (in Russian) from a key Twitter account used by pro-Russian separatists, in which they claim to have captured a Buk surface-to-air missile system, has now been deleted, BBC Monitoring observes. Ukrainians say the Malaysian plane could have been downed with a Buk, but pro-Russian rebels have now denied they have it.

From BBC.

So they have essentially gone from bragging about downing a plane to denying they even have the capability?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2014, 07:16:29 pm »
So they have essentially gone from bragging about downing a plane to denying they even have the capability?

It doesn't prove anything - I'm sure they'd be careful to check what boasts they'd made whether they've done it or not. But it looks obviously suspect.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2014, 07:24:01 pm »
This is just horrible.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2014, 07:29:20 pm »
It doesn't prove anything - I'm sure they'd be careful to check what boasts they'd made whether they've done it or not. But it looks obviously suspect.

The fact there was a tweet claiming they'd captured a Buk missile system and then another that they'd downed a transport plane in the area the airliner crashed, which have been since been swiftly deleted is definitely very suspicious but obviously not conclusive.

The Buk missile system's radar doesn't have a way of picking up if a plane is civilian or not, so the rebels might not have realised they weren't tracking a Ukrainian transport but instead a civilian aeroplane.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2014, 07:37:55 pm »
If they did mistake the Malaysian 777 for a Ukrainian cargo plane then the people who look worst of all from all this are the Russians for giving such deadly weapons (if they did) to a band of ragtag amateurs.
Who takes potshots at any jet they see at cruising altitude? It's insanity. Utter insanity.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2014, 07:41:15 pm »
There are videos of the explosion happening as the flight his the ground.

If it was hit by a Buk missile, surely it would have been blown to pieces in the air?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:43:26 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2014, 07:42:42 pm »
They never did brag about anything. There have only been denials.

Offline unknownuser

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2014, 07:43:44 pm »
Terrible news. Thought it was the other plane that went missing at first. RIP all on board.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2014, 07:45:54 pm »

If it was hit by a Buk missile, surely it would have been blown to pieces in the air?
Depends where it hits the plane, doesn't it?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2014, 07:48:25 pm »
They never did brag about anything. There have only been denials.

What's this then?

The following was posted on Igor Strelkov's Vkontakte page at 17:50 Moscow time, about an hour before news of the 777 crash broke:

"Message from the militia:

"In the district of Torez an An-26 was just shot down. It crashed somewhere near the Progress mine. We warned them not to fly in "our skies". Here is video confirmation of the latest "fallen bird". The bird landed outside the residential zone, no peaceful civilians were injured."

There is also information of a second downed plane, probably an Su" [a Sukhoi combat jet].

Popcorn's Art

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2014, 07:48:34 pm »

Depends where it gets hit. There were eyewitnesses saying the plane came down in two parts.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2014, 07:54:13 pm »
Depends where it hits the plane, doesn't it?

Well that KA Flight 007 was targeted by two air to air missiles fired from a jet fighter and flew on for another 12 minutes. 

Granted there's probably a gulf in technology between the two incidents, but if the plane just lost its tail or a wing before spiralling down, perhaps breaking into two or three large pieces before it crashed then I would say video of the event is plausible. 

We'll just have to see what the video reveals about the condition of the aircraft before it crashed.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2014, 07:57:19 pm »

Not necessarily. If the warhead was controlled by a proximity fuse it would explode at a set distance to the target, not necessarily on impact. This is needed when chasing fast and manouverable tagets like jet fighters where a direct hit isn't always possible.

The explosion and fragments would be sufficient enough to cause massive damage to the aircraft but still allow a large portion of it to remain intact.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2014, 07:59:16 pm »
What's this then?

I mean bragging about shooting down a passenger jet. Either way, statements like that are non-conclusive. Anyone could have written that.

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
  • Games : 535. Won : 308. Drawn : 131. Lost : 96
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2014, 08:00:31 pm »
RT said that Putin's plane was about 30 minutes behind the Malaysian aircraft on pretty much the same flight path...................
You made me forget myself, I thought I was someone else, someone good.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2014, 08:01:07 pm »
Not necessarily. If the warhead was controlled by a proximity fuse it would explode at a set distance to the target, not necessarily on impact. This is needed when chasing fast and manouverable tagets like jet fighters where a direct hit isn't always possible.

The explosion and fragments would be sufficient enough to cause massive damage to the aircraft but still allow a large portion of it to remain intact.

Correct:

"Each missile is 5.55 m (18 feet) long, weighs 690 kg (1521 lb) and carries a relatively large 70 kg (154 lb) warhead which is triggered by a radar proximity fuze. In the forward compartment of the missile, a semi-active homing radar head (9E50, Russian: 9Э50, 9Э50М1), autopilot equipment, power source and a warhead is located. The homing method chosen was proportional navigation."

Source: Wikipedia

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2014, 08:01:20 pm »
Also bare in mind that it was possibly being operated by people with little knowledge of how the system actually works.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2014, 08:01:38 pm »
I mean bragging about shooting down a passenger jet. Either way, statements like that are non-conclusive. Anyone could have written that.

Statement seems quite bragging to me.  "Our skies", "no peaceful civillians were injured."

I guess anybody could have issued the denials too.

Popcorn's Art

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2014, 08:04:03 pm »
The latest count is 71 Dutch, 9 Britons and 23 US American citizens among the passengers.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2014, 08:04:44 pm »
RT said that Putin's plane was about 30 minutes behind the Malaysian aircraft on pretty much the same flight path...................

Ah, so the perfect motive for Ukraine to use SAMs where otherwise it would be utterly pointless surfaces.... and gives Russia an excuse to assert authority via national security issues...?

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2014, 08:04:52 pm »
Current flight paths across Europe

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2014, 08:08:33 pm »
Statement seems quite bragging to me.  "Our skies", "no peaceful civillians were injured."

I guess anybody could have issued the denials too.
I'd say everyone on that plane was peaceful.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2014, 08:11:34 pm »

yep... someone should stop that pig-face

RIP
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2014, 08:14:28 pm »
Pentagon confirming via @CNN crashed #MH17 Malaysian Airlines jet WAS shot by a missile originating from #Russia.
Hayes Brown ‏@HayesBrown 7m

! RT @Galrahn: 20 minutes ago my Pentagon source suggested missile originated from Russian territory. I think that may become official soon.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2014, 08:21:13 pm »
Horrible news. RIP to everyone on board.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2014, 08:33:53 pm »
Dreadful news. Rip.
bollocks

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2014, 08:56:06 pm »
Pentagon confirming via @CNN crashed #MH17 Malaysian Airlines jet WAS shot by a missile originating from #Russia.
Hayes Brown ‏@HayesBrown 7m

! RT @Galrahn: 20 minutes ago my Pentagon source suggested missile originated from Russian territory. I think that may become official soon.

CNN or people claiming Pentagon sources on twitter?

I'll waits on that.

In the meantime, RIP and terrible tragedy for the poor victims and families, deplorable.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2014, 08:58:29 pm »
What a fucked up world we live in. RIP.