Author Topic: Adam Lallana  (Read 586791 times)

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Adam Lallana
« Reply #3600 on: March 10, 2019, 06:28:11 pm »
It's players such as him (and Shaqiri, Keita and Sturridge) who we need to be genuinely fit and firing to actually make a fist of the challenge.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #3601 on: March 10, 2019, 06:37:03 pm »
It's players such as him (and Shaqiri, Keita and Sturridge) who we need to be genuinely fit and firing to actually make a fist of the challenge.

Agree as all 4 are good players.

Lallana was fantastic today.
#JFT97

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #3602 on: March 10, 2019, 06:38:31 pm »
If today's performance was more than just a one off and he can maintain that level of performance for the remaining 8 games in the league then he could be the difference in the title race. With the recent draws and poor performances maybe we just needed someone like him to come in and give us another option in midfield, which had started to go a bit stale recently. He adds the skill and energy which we've needed and I can see him becoming a regular starter for the rest of the season and in to next season as long as he can just stay fit.

He adds that bit of forward drive and creativity that we miss with all of our midfield apart from Shaqiri.
#JFT97

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #3603 on: March 10, 2019, 06:38:42 pm »
He always needed a lot of time to get his sharpness back after a long-term injury, he lost a whole year. We'll see the same thing with Ox.

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #3604 on: March 10, 2019, 07:02:21 pm »
When the next International break? Hopefully he's nowhere near Southgates plans as it is playing International football that's effectively slowed his return to form.

Impressed today he brought what the ox can freeing up the front three and especially Firmino to do what they do best
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #3605 on: March 10, 2019, 07:10:57 pm »
When the next International break? Hopefully he's nowhere near Southgates plans as it is playing International football that's effectively slowed his return to form.

Impressed today he brought what the ox can freeing up the front three and especially Firmino to do what they do best
After the Fulham game next week.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #3606 on: March 10, 2019, 07:11:19 pm »
What I like about Lallana is that he's seen as a creative player, but it's his pressing (that others have highlighted) that is so impressive. He's also the most two-footed player around - must be a nightmare to defend against.

Such a shame he has been injured for so long. Great to have him back for the run in.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Schmohawk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3607 on: March 10, 2019, 07:16:54 pm »
Back to his best aggressive self today. Some magnificent pressing all over the pitch.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3608 on: March 10, 2019, 07:19:12 pm »
Lovely to see him play well today.

He is a class act - I am concerned injuries may finish him at top level but hopefully I am wrong as lad is class
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3609 on: March 10, 2019, 07:25:03 pm »
Made up for Adam. Played well today and hasn’t looked this fit in ages. A fit Lallana is a big asset.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3610 on: March 10, 2019, 07:42:55 pm »
Looked slick as fuck today. Hopefully he can keep it up for the run in.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3611 on: March 10, 2019, 07:46:39 pm »
Well played, sir!

Great shift he put in and the assist/block for Mane's goal was top class, just what we need in this team. I'd start him at Bayern, need him to keep his mojo.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #3612 on: March 10, 2019, 07:59:22 pm »
His best game in over 2 years, and seems to have come out of nowhere given his ineffective cameos this season. If he can keep up that level of performance from here on in, he'll be a massive boost for us.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3613 on: March 10, 2019, 08:13:42 pm »
His best game in over 2 years, and seems to have come out of nowhere given his ineffective cameos this season. If he can keep up that level of performance from here on in, he'll be a massive boost for us.

I think Lallana's performances over the last couple of years have been somewhat unfairly judged, not just by the fact he's always been coming off an injury, but very few have actually been in his favoured position in a midfield 3. I admit to having forgotten how good he can be in that position.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3614 on: March 10, 2019, 08:44:46 pm »
Personally I think we have always looked more balanced under Klopp when we have played a 2-1 midfield with either Lallana or Coutinho in the AM position. We sold Coutinho, lost Lallana through injury and then missed out on Fekir.

Shaqiri and Keita have shown glimpses of replacing the creativity we have lost but haven't really done it on a consistent basis.

If we can get Lallana fit and firing then he can add the kind of creativity between the lines that City posses in spade loads.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3615 on: March 10, 2019, 08:49:42 pm »
Was a smart selection - the perfect game / opponent for him

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3616 on: March 10, 2019, 08:57:26 pm »
Just a little homage to Adam Lallana's contribution today.

The counter-pressing block that led to our second doesn't need highlighting. Jurgen has already explained in the post-match interviews how brilliant it was, how it utterly transformed the situation in the blink of an eye, and also how it was typical of Lallana's general gegen-pression aggression. Lallana was said to have been the player that understood Klopp's particular demands from Day One - from Spurs away. Klopp called him 'the hunter' - the man who reads what's happening on the pitch as well as anyone else and triggers the press. "Good" as Jurgen says.

But he's obviously a creator too. A master at carving out space on a crowded pitch and a player who puts speed into a team's attacking play.

The first goal showed some of that. It's great how he swiftly occupies the space on the left after the Burnley defender evacuates it. VVD gives him the ball and immediately Lallana is facing the right way. Then it's all about being a head-up footballer. He checks twice, declining a forward pass on both occasions. But he's still moving with the ball. And with each check there's a subtle shift of the ball and his relationship to it, opening up additional possibilities. Coutinho-like one might say. The third possibility turned out to be the crossfield pass to Mo, now in oceans of space on the right flank.

Then, of course, the real damage was done by the Mo and Gini combo. But even then Lallana is haring into the box, also in oceans of space in case the ball is cut back. A real object lesson in how to link defence to attack and then support the attack.
Nice.

Love Lallana, love watching him, the way he makes space for himself, his two footedness and game intligence. One of the few players Klopp trusts in that AM role.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #3617 on: March 10, 2019, 09:07:50 pm »
Was a smart selection - the perfect game / opponent for him

A lot of RAWK would have argued otherwise.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline GIPPO77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3618 on: March 10, 2019, 09:16:31 pm »
Fair play to Lallana he had a great game.
YNWA

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #3619 on: March 10, 2019, 09:59:33 pm »
A lot of RAWK would have argued otherwise.
A lot of RAWK are not part of Klopp's coaching staff

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3620 on: March 10, 2019, 10:10:14 pm »
A ‘hunter’ performance for sure

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3621 on: March 10, 2019, 10:11:53 pm »
He's a lovely player when on form.

Got the pressing and technique to thrive in a Klopp team.

I really hope he can stay fit from now til the end of the season, could make all the difference to us.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #3622 on: March 10, 2019, 10:14:20 pm »
Fair play to him, he proved a lot of us wrong today.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3623 on: March 11, 2019, 12:04:54 am »
I have been thinking that a surprise package for our run-in might have been Keita really hitting form and just adding that extra level to the midfield. And that still might happen.  I hadn't entertained the possibility of Lallana coming back in and being the player he was 2 years ago though. He was fantastic today. Hungry as fuck, silky, covering every inch of the pitch, always in the right the place. This is genuinely exciting.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3624 on: March 11, 2019, 12:16:58 am »
I thought Lallana would be on the exit ramp in summer, but that performance certainly showed something I thought had gone. He was excellent today. The pressing and energy reminded me of a couple of years ago. Fair play to him.

He has always had a good touch, two good feet and great balance. But he has had so many niggly injuries that he hasn’t been able to show us what he can do for such a long time. He reminded us today that he can be a very good player and a useful member of the squad.

Might have to revise my opinion on stay/go. Good luck to him and well played.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:19:12 am by G Richards »

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3625 on: March 11, 2019, 12:24:47 am »
Wished all of our players would get this type of response from working real hard at home against a relegation candidate for 75 minutes.  Fair play to him.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3626 on: March 11, 2019, 04:56:59 am »
We gained a lot in midfield in an attacking sense with him there, more fluidity, more combinations through the centre and around the box. We lost nothing on the defensive side of the game too. Our pressing level actually increased almost solely because of him and when he had to track back and recover the ball he did that as good as anyone. Was everywhere playing like a man possessed. Hope he plays a few more matches at this level.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #3627 on: March 11, 2019, 05:23:33 am »
Wished all of our players would get this type of response from working real hard at home against a relegation candidate for 75 minutes.  Fair play to him.

Hendo? Is that you?
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3628 on: March 11, 2019, 09:16:55 am »
If we're going to win the league, one of Keith, Shaq or Adam need to step up and be undroppable.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #3629 on: March 11, 2019, 09:29:49 am »
When I saw him starting over Keita/Shaq I was like wtf?!

What a performance though, good on him and great for us if he can continue into a run of form which is at the perfect time for us this season. Happy for him because he's had dogs abuse from a lot of people
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3630 on: March 11, 2019, 09:32:20 am »
If we're going to win the league, one of Keith, Shaq or Adam need to step up and be undroppable.

Got to agree with this.

Lallana set the bar for the type of performance required if you want to force you way into the reckoning. To be fair it's probably the 1st time this season that he's reached this level. Shaqiri did a number of times before Xmas, Keita maybe once or twice too.

Klopp also sent a very clear message that Lallana got that start due to his performances in training. Said pretty much the same about Keita when he started a few games around Bournemouth.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3631 on: March 11, 2019, 09:40:31 am »
So much more effective in midfield. Holds on to the ball and always looking for a forward pass.

Suspect Klopp will want to manage his fitness and I don't think he'll make the first team against Bayern.

Nice to have creativity so fingers crossed he came make the same contributions for the run in.

Like others have said he doesn't do much in a front 3 or as an impact sub.

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3632 on: March 11, 2019, 10:01:19 am »
As many have said it was great to see him back close to a level he was performing a couple of seasons ago and fingers crossed he can build on that. As Baz said in the previous page we have one of the best goalies, defences and #6 in the league right now if not the best so why not trust them to do their job and play the likes of Lallana, Keita or Shaqiri at the tip of CM in more games? The solid CM unit that does a great job in itself when required could be tapered back esp when we have a fit backline again. Lallana just showed we can start defending outside the opposition's box as the best tackle of the day set up our second goal. Typically you only see that sort of tackle in last ditch efforts to stop a goal so to see it at the edge of the box was jaw dropping i thought. Hopefully Keita and Shaqiri can continue in the same vein as take a page out of Adams play yesterday as when he brings the ball forward he keeps his head up. Dont want to pick on Keita but when he had a wee run at the box he ran down a channel, narrowing by the second and eventually was quenched without looking around him once. Head up lad as you have tremendous qualities and learn from those around you. Anyway fingers crossed Adam is 100% for the rest of the season as I would start him in every league game here on, body willing, as the title will only come our way if we release the shackles from midfield.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3633 on: March 11, 2019, 10:03:12 am »
I don't want him to start against Bayern personally. Let's not rush him and have a fit and fresh "top" player available for us against Fulham. That's the only way we can challenge for the league and compete for the champions league at the same time. If we won against Everton, I wouldn't have been against us going out gracefully against Bayern. But now that it's not in our hands anymore, we need to go all out for both competitions.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3634 on: March 11, 2019, 10:56:45 am »
have to admit when i saw him in the starting 11 i was pretty despondent

however that was his best game for nearly two years

the closing down and tackle for the second goal was superb
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3635 on: March 11, 2019, 11:00:53 am »
I don't want him to start against Bayern personally. Let's not rush him and have a fit and fresh "top" player available for us against Fulham. That's the only way we can challenge for the league and compete for the champions league at the same time. If we won against Everton, I wouldn't have been against us going out gracefully against Bayern. But now that it's not in our hands anymore, we need to go all out for both competitions.

What's going all out v Bayern though, fielding the same midfields that have barely worked in a big away game all season? If that's the alternative he should defo be starting.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3636 on: March 11, 2019, 11:13:35 am »

Except he didn't just work 'real hard', did he? He played well in most facets of the game, exemplified by him touching and passing the ball more than Fabinho. That's pretty rare for any of our number 8's when we use the 1-2 midfield shape.

I don't think Lallana's performance was exceptional and I also don't think we should get too carried away as, unfortunately, an injury is only around the corner with fragile players like him. That said, it was definitely the type of 8/10 playmaking performance we've been lacking the majority of this season. You can't have three midfielders who only want to recycle the ball. At some point there needs to be a player in there who demands and keeps it.

To do this down as simply 'working hard' deliberately underplays how comfortable and proficient he is on the ball, and how carefully and cleverly he uses it. It also underplays how much emphasis Klopp places on his midfielders working hard. Next time you query why Keita isn't in the side, you should bare this in mind. He was dispossessed twice and had two unsuccessful touches in 14 minutes after replacing Lallana (who had one of each in 76 minutes), and our midfield represented the Grand Canyon at times.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:15:24 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3637 on: March 11, 2019, 11:16:55 am »
I've been as impatient as anyone with him and his fitness issues and have thought he may be finished. Despite this I was disappointed to see the comments in the pre match thread. My view is that if Klopp and his team are OK with him, then we should be too.

Having said all that, when he's involved, that's the level he needs to reach consistently. It's no good having that game and then 3 or 4 poor ones. I think the whole Lallana thing could be a massive advantage to us in the run in because it will hopefully spur the likes of Keita, Oxlade and Shaqiri to better things.

Hendo, Milner, Gini, Fabinho, Lallana, Keita, Shaqiri, Oxlade all fit and firing doesn't half give us some midfield options.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #3638 on: March 11, 2019, 11:23:06 am »
Brilliant yesterday as I fully expected him to bebwhen he was fully fit. He’s been ravaged since Bayern Munich friendly

This forum has been unexplainable and really shocked me with it’s usually decent knowledge of football. He’s vital to us
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3639 on: March 11, 2019, 11:39:15 am »
Brilliant yesterday as I fully expected him to bebwhen he was fully fit. He’s been ravaged since Bayern Munich friendly

This forum has been unexplainable and really shocked me with it’s usually decent knowledge of football. He’s vital to us

;D Think that's slightly overboard, he was good but brilliant is pushing it and he's in absolutely no way vital to us. Our midfield with him in it will look better than the 3 water carrier type mids we often field though.