Author Topic: Help please.  (Read 1268 times)

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Help please.
« on: October 23, 2019, 10:54:50 am »
IM looking for a few, 5-10 people to briefly answer the following questions as part of my studies, youth crime and justice.

your help will be much appreciated.
I must stress Im not looking for debate just brief answers on the 3 questions.
Thank you for your time.  :wave :wave :wave :wave

1. What causes young people to commit crime?

2. Do you think youth crime is a matter of nature or nuture?

3. How do you think young offenders should be dealt with?

Thanks again folks.
bollocks

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Help please.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 11:02:55 am »

Poverty, peer pressure, poor upbringing, lack of positive role models, poor education, boredom, poor local facilities... it’s likely a mix of some or all of those.

2. Do you think youth crime is a matter of nature or nurture?

I’d argue it’s a mixture of both. Whilst I imagine there are plenty of examples of nature or nurture causing youth to turn to crime, in the majority of times I think it’s likely both will have a big impact.

Really depends on the severity of the crime. In a lot of cases it would be good to see youth being given the chance to rehabilitate through education and other initiatives before more ‘harsh’ forms of punishment are considered.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 11:42:39 am »

A lack of opportunity and a lack of adult role models.

2. Do you think youth crime is a matter of nature or nurture?
Nurture.

They'll grow out of it, hopefully, so leniently. Although I've just spent some time in Singapore and noted the absence of vandalism there (and street crime) and was told that the deterrent of caning works very well. Although I think there is something else in play there for example the loss of face if one committed a crime would be taboo in there culture.
So here in the U.K I'd say deal with the young offenders with some degree of compassion and with the idea that they get a second chance for non-violent crimes and some kind of community service.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 11:56:47 am »
Boredom, lack of consequences, poverty, drug addiction, family break downs, poor/lack of education, peer pressure/gang mentality.
I think both have their influence, you can't teach a psychopath to not be but equally good people in bad circumstances can make bad/rash decisions. I'd probably put it at 25% nature / 75% nurture. Whilst most have an inherent grasp of good versus evil, morally is taught and rarely intuited.
This is a massively broad question. You can not treat an entire group of people the same, in every circumstance. I suppose the question is; how should they be treated differently from adults? In certain circumstances they should be treated the same; violent crime, murder, organised crime, repeat offenders. In most other circumstances I would suggest that crimes for those under 16 should be dealt with more leniently and, ideally, not impact the individual in later life. Mistakes during the exuberance of youth should, if they can be, forgiven and the repercussions should not be carried into adult life.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 06:18:58 pm »
Cheers folks. Much appreciated.
Some interesting points[emoji106]

Any more takers??
bollocks

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 07:56:32 pm »
IM looking for a few, 5-10 people to briefly answer the following questions as part of my studies, youth crime and justice.

your help will be much appreciated.
Thank you for your time.  :wave :wave :wave :wave

Thanks again folks.

1. Too broad a question. Some do it out of boredom and peer pressure, some are led to due to necessity, some will fall into their parents pattern, some wont have been taught right from wrong, some will have Mental Health issues, some will be commiting noble crimes such as protest.

2. See above. Both

3. Depends on the crime. Too broad. Rehabilitate unless its rape/murder then chop their head off (I jest)
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 10:03:48 pm »
Cheers Jake[emoji106][emoji106]
bollocks

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 12:37:20 am »

There are probably as many sets of reasons as there are young people committing crime, but I'm sure there are common themes. Lack of guidance by parents. Lack of (or rejection of) education. Lack of boundaries. Feelings of not belonging or having a stake in society. Family breakdown and/or poor parenting. Lack of (or perceived lack of) opportunity. Peer pressure. Late or no intervention as things are going wrong for them. Not being held accountable for their own actions as they grow up. Mental health issues. MH is a big factor in that it leads to maladaptive coping strategies such as excessive drinking and drugs, which in turn can lead to addiction and the need to make easy money to fund the habit. Laziness (I can't be arsed earning it, so I'll just steal it). Low emotional intelligence. Greed. Boredom.

These, a mix of these and no doubt many other factors can come into play and see a young person going off the rails and getting into crime. Many don't have a functioning family, so look for a different kind of family to call home. This is where gang culture can come in. Belonging to something can feel better than belonging to nothing. Even negative role models can feel better than no role models at all. You may also see some good kids from good, structured homes going off the rails. Some don't like the boundaries, the rules etc and will rebel and get in with kids with more negative, destructive outlooks.

Another thing I notice is how younger people generally have not really built up their empathy levels. When young, you are just feeling your way around life. It's basically all about you and how you feel. This can potentially make it more difficult to put yourself in the shoes of other people. Basically, it's easier to be a nasty bugger because you simply don't understand the impact you are having on others. As we mature we may look back and be ashamed of things we did when younger, because we then understand more about the impact we had. Low level criminality has big impacts on its victims, but perpetrators may just see it as 'having a laugh'. We all know how unchecked low level stuff can escalate though.

I'm sure this only scratches the surface.

I don't think people are born bad. Some may be predisposed to certain behaviours, but I think environment and circumstances come into play possibly more so. By their very nature, young people are something of a blank canvas. This makes them vulnerable to external circumstances. Society as it currently is is fertile breeding ground for negative mindsets and subsequent actions. In many sub cultures, it's cool to be bad. What chance have young minds got being brought into this kind of world? I think it takes very skilled parenting to help their offspring negotiate successfully through their formative years these day. So yes, I'm heavily inclined towards nurture rather than nature on this.

That's a tough question, and vastly superior minds to mine have struggled to answer that one.
Personally speaking, I think early, firmly but also sympathetically. I grew up around kids who started to go off the rails. Kids are always looking to test boundaries. That's normal and natural. Thing is, if there are no parental boundaries at home, and society overlooks initial petty offences, then youngsters tend to think they can do just what they like. They will continue, in many cases, to ramp it up until eventually the criminal system takes notice, but by then it's too late.

I saw small kids being cheeky, mouthing off etc and being generally naughty without any intervention from parents. As they grew they began petty crime. Stealing car radios and criminal damage. Then it was car theft and burglary. Then it was all of that plus drugs. No real intervention until all of the above was well entrenched and all these people knew. The cycle has continued with their own offspring, although the criminality has ramped up further.

With all this in mind, I think intervention has to start as soon as the negative, destructive behaviour starts. Young people need to be taught how to be responsible for their actions at an early stage, otherwise, how do they develop into responsible adults? Personal responsibility needs to be taught. It's all too easy to say you are bored, but everyone can be shown that there are a million constructive things to do with our time if only we take it upon ourselves to identify them. I think young people need to be taught to identify their interests, strengths and talents then to help them find ways to express them. Confidence and self-esteem building could help.

I also think offenders could benefit from talking to ex-offenders about the realities of following the criminal lifestyle. TV makes it somehow glamourous, but the realities are pretty squalid, depressing and can often lead to early death. The 'glamour' needs to be removed from criminality. Working with/for victims of crime could also help some people understand the realities of being a victim and could help teach some human empathy. I also think we have to actually listen to and try to understand what young people who commit crime are telling us. Many are victims themselves. Victims of circumstance, environment, bad parenting, abuse etc... If a person feels the world doesn't care about them, then they won't care about the world or those in it either. This will often be reflected in their behaviour.

Of course, this is all just generalising. Punishments need to fit individual crimes, so it's difficult to come up with definitive answers. It's an incredibly complex subject.
I sort of go with the iron fist in the velvet glove, approach. Decent society needs strong, clear but fair boundaries, but rehabilitation needs to be about education and support too. There has to be a balance.

I don't know if any of that is useful, but it's sort of my thoughts in an 'off the top of my head' kind of way.

Good luck with your studies.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:41:15 am by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 06:28:13 am »

???  :-X  :-\  ;D

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 09:21:22 am »

Good luck with your studies.
thanks for your answers,,made for a nice read.
much appreciated  :wave :wave
bollocks

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 01:11:14 pm »
???  :-X  :-\  ;D
That was actually brief for me.  :-[   ;D
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 09:07:10 pm »
Fuck knows, some scrote has nicked my phone

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 06:36:01 pm »

Pure circumstance.

Nurture.

Try to teach responsibility, find out on an individual basis what a person is lacking in their life, and try to offer it to them - this could be an opportunity to be part of something. A team, a community project, something where they can feel a sense of belonging and ownership and experience the rewards accordingly.
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 11:19:41 am »
Thanks for the reply [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
bollocks