Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1446221 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #3800 on: December 11, 2018, 11:40:09 pm »
The man is a monster.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #3801 on: December 11, 2018, 11:40:45 pm »
Joke yellow

Wasn’t even giving a foul. Saw the fella breakdancing and gave free kick and yellow

Pathetic

The circumstances the ref gave the free kick was ridiculous, but he in the end made the right decision, and I don't see how you can argue about that.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3802 on: December 11, 2018, 11:55:31 pm »
Tell you what, I'm struggling to think of a more dominant keeper and centre back combo in my lifetime than these two. I'm not old enough to remember Banks & Moore, Maeir and Beckenbaur or, closer to home, Clemence and Jocky, but from the mid 80s onwards I think these two are as good as it gets. Schmeichel & Stam? Schmeichel was in the twilight of his career then so probably not. Buffon & Cannavaro? Cech & Terry? Desperately trying not to be biased but I honestly reckon our two are better (with the obvious caveat that they carry on playing like they do which, barring injury, seems likely). Were Rossi, or any of Baresi's other keepers, as dominant as Alisson? I dunno.

We're bloody lucky to be able to enjoy these two together at their peak. 

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #3803 on: December 11, 2018, 11:58:01 pm »
Tell you what, I'm struggling to think of a more dominant keeper and centre back combo in my lifetime than these two. I'm not old enough to remember Banks & Moore, Maeir and Beckenbaur or, closer to home, Clemence and Jocky, but from the mid 80s onwards I think these two are as good as it gets. Schmeichel & Stam? Schmeichel was in the twilight of his career then so probably not. Buffon & Cannavaro? Cech & Terry? Desperately trying not to be biased but I honestly reckon our two are better (with the obvious caveat that they carry on playing like they do which, barring injury, seems likely). Were Rossi, or any of Baresi's other keepers, as dominant as Alisson? I dunno.

We're bloody lucky to be able to enjoy these two together at their peak.

Harsh to just talk about the two of them! Robbo's the left back we've had in god knows how long, and TAA is what, 19? We not only have Gomez being outstanding, but Matip and Lovren haven't put a foot wrong either!

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3804 on: December 12, 2018, 12:00:23 am »
Harsh to just talk about the two of them! Robbo's the left back we've had in god knows how long, and TAA is what, 19? We not only have Gomez being outstanding, but Matip and Lovren haven't put a foot wrong either!

Oh absolutely, we've got a great bunch of defenders at the mo! Was just thinking of keeper & centre back combos - as good as our other defenders are, I think VvD and Alisson are a different level to our other defensive players. That's not an insult to the others.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #3805 on: December 12, 2018, 12:00:36 am »
The circumstances the ref gave the free kick was ridiculous, but he in the end made the right decision, and I don't see how you can argue about that.

I have at length in the thread

Though the focus of him getting it right or wrong wasn’t the initial concern. How he came to it should be enough for him to be taken off CL games. Absolutely criminal behaviour

As far as tackle goes he’s won balm clean, in control, follow through caught him. I can’t get my head around how it’s a foul. Unless I missed tje meeting where players getting injured is an immediate foul
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #3806 on: December 12, 2018, 12:35:07 am »

Though the focus of him getting it right or wrong wasn’t the initial concern. How he came to it should be enough for him to be taken off CL games. Absolutely criminal behaviour

As far as tackle goes he’s won balm clean, in control, follow through caught him. I can’t get my head around how it’s a foul. Unless I missed tje meeting where players getting injured is an immediate foul

follow through's are fine, but with the studs up, it's dangerous. But you're right about how he came to it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3807 on: December 12, 2018, 03:28:45 am »

And it was completely controlled. I don't think it's a foul at all.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3808 on: December 12, 2018, 03:39:01 am »
How many headers did he win tonight?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3809 on: December 12, 2018, 04:47:15 am »
And it was completely controlled. I don't think it's a foul at all.
So, Mee's was not a foul on Gomez either? You're in sync with the ref and the pundits then, kudos.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3810 on: December 12, 2018, 05:23:40 am »
Colossus, what a player - calm as you like
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3811 on: December 12, 2018, 05:31:57 am »
So, Mee's was not a foul on Gomez either? You're in sync with the ref and the pundits then, kudos.

I don't think Mee's was a foul on Gomez but I think that tackle was needlessly aggressive and designed to rattle the opposition given it was near the corner flag and Joe Gomez wasn't going anywhere while VVD's controlled tackle was near the halfway line when the opposition's forward getting on the ball could well give him a free run at goal.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3812 on: December 12, 2018, 05:39:03 am »
I don't think Mee's was a foul on Gomez but I think that tackle was needlessly aggressive and designed to rattle the opposition given it was near the corner flag and Joe Gomez wasn't going anywhere while VVD's controlled tackle was near the halfway line when the opposition's forward getting on the ball could well give him a free run at goal.
the "strongness" of both fouls is higher than it should be allowed, and Klopp would be the first to tell you that. Even though you're trying to differentiate both situations with their context, the bottom line is both fouls happened with the ball in play, inside the field, and could have seriously injured the receiver.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3813 on: December 12, 2018, 05:52:17 am »
the "strongness" of both fouls is higher than it should be allowed, and Klopp would be the first to tell you that. Even though you're trying to differentiate both situations with their context, the bottom line is both fouls happened with the ball in play, inside the field, and could have seriously injured the receiver.

I disagree. In the first case, the receiver was never in control of the ball. My take on it would be different if he was dribbling and Van Dijk got the ball with a slide and then took out the standing foot. You can't wish the context away. It's not the strongness that's an issue necessarily. The issue is with endangering an opponent and I don't think the slide necessarily endangered an opponent because if that is the only metric you use to judge fouls, then perhaps kicking the ball really hard towards goal could also be judged a foul. So obviously context matters and that separates the VVD 'foul' from the Mee foul IMO.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3814 on: December 12, 2018, 06:10:52 am »
I disagree. In the first case, the receiver was never in control of the ball. My take on it would be different if he was dribbling and Van Dijk got the ball with a slide and then took out the standing foot. You can't wish the context away. It's not the strongness that's an issue necessarily. The issue is with endangering an opponent and I don't think the slide necessarily endangered an opponent because if that is the only metric you use to judge fouls, then perhaps kicking the ball really hard towards goal could also be judged a foul. So obviously context matters and that separates the VVD 'foul' from the Mee foul IMO.
It's true you can't take context away, but IMO the context you paint (which is real, I don't debate that) is not enough to forgo the fact that the main point of Klopp's thoughts on Burnley's spiel was centered on the harshness of the actions, not if they were justified or not.

Quotes from him which I think apply:

-“I said after the first challenge, I don’t know who did it, a sliding tackle from six/seven yards, getting the ball, everybody likes it, I said to the ref ‘it’s no foul but please tell them you cannot do that’".

-“Nobody can judge that. You get the ball, nice, but it’s like bowling because you get the player as well".

-"They wanted to be aggressive. Aggression is a part of football. You try something and you need someone to say ‘be careful’".

-“There were a lot of situations, challenges. There was nothing to say ‘wow, too much’, they were normal challenges. But with six or seven yards and then (slide) these times are over. They are over".

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3815 on: December 12, 2018, 07:11:33 am »
It's true you can't take context away, but IMO the context you paint (which is real, I don't debate that) is not enough to forgo the fact that the main point of Klopp's thoughts on Burnley's spiel was centered on the harshness of the actions, not if they were justified or not.

Quotes from him which I think apply:

-“I said after the first challenge, I don’t know who did it, a sliding tackle from six/seven yards, getting the ball, everybody likes it, I said to the ref ‘it’s no foul but please tell them you cannot do that’".

-“Nobody can judge that. You get the ball, nice, but it’s like bowling because you get the player as well".

-"They wanted to be aggressive. Aggression is a part of football. You try something and you need someone to say ‘be careful’".

-“There were a lot of situations, challenges. There was nothing to say ‘wow, too much’, they were normal challenges. But with six or seven yards and then (slide) these times are over. They are over".

The context again is vital because none of the Burnley challenges were to prevent a 1v1 with the keeper with the team's main attacking weapon near the halfway line. Secondly, Van Dijk's tackle was not a desperate lunge in an attempt to win the ball with no concern for the opponent. It was a careful sliding interception in which the opposition striker was unlucky to get caught. The Mee tackle was by the touchline and he was nearly at the ball. He didn't need to slide to get the ball, but he did it anyway. Van Dijk had to slide to get the ball or the striker was through on goal. Massive difference in what happened, which must be taken into account when interpreting Klopp's comments on Burnley. He wasn't saying that Burnley shouldn't be aggressive but that they were being needlessly aggressive when a simple interception would have sufficed.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3816 on: December 12, 2018, 07:28:30 am »
I haven’t looked at it closely again, but seeing it yesteday, and being biased obviously, I don’t think tackles like that should even be a foul. He did go in that hard, had control over his body but obviously can’t take evertything Mertens does into account. He was first to the ball by a clear margin, Mertens is late.

The laws of the game probably say I’m totally wrong though, so I can’t complain over the card, it is most likely correct. It is just my personal view.  I didn’t think Mee’s tackle was bad either by the way, just unfortunate for Gomez.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #3817 on: December 12, 2018, 07:34:07 am »
Is he more of a monster than Koulibaly? The two together might just be unbreakable.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3818 on: December 12, 2018, 07:40:22 am »
I haven’t looked at it closely again, but seeing it yesteday, and being biased obviously, I don’t think tackles like that should even be a foul. He did go in that hard, had control over his body but obviously can’t take evertything Mertens does into account. He was first to the ball by a clear margin, Mertens is late.

The laws of the game probably say I’m totally wrong though, so I can’t complain over the card, it is most likely correct. It is just my personal view.  I didn’t think Mee’s tackle was bad either by the way, just unfortunate for Gomez.
Yeah
The problem was Mertens, the pipsquick was LATE, thus caught in the aftermath.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3819 on: December 12, 2018, 07:43:34 am »
Is he more of a monster than Koulibaly? The two together might just be unbreakable.

Koulibaly is everywhere and he's all power. I think Van Dijk is more refined. I think Van Dijk is the better defender IMO but Koulibaly is a phenomenon also.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3820 on: December 12, 2018, 08:31:39 am »
Oh absolutely, we've got a great bunch of defenders at the mo! Was just thinking of keeper & centre back combos - as good as our other defenders are, I think VvD and Alisson are a different level to our other defensive players. That's not an insult to the others.

Remember the time when certain pundits said Klopp would never be able to organise a defence, listen to the silence now. Just amazing how thick some of them actually are. 😀
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3821 on: December 12, 2018, 08:34:30 am »
Think VVD is a level about Koulibaly. Has much greater positioning, more finesse on the ball, and in general, a less reactive defender. Also more of a leadership presence.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #3822 on: December 12, 2018, 08:39:08 am »
After watching this vid from Nouman, I'd put Koulibaly in the same elite class as VVD. Definitely share a lot of similar characteristics IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJaoHTze-3I

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3823 on: December 12, 2018, 08:40:45 am »
After watching this vid from Nouman, I'd put Koulibaly in the same elite class as VVD. Definitely share a lot of similar characteristics IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJaoHTze-3I

So after watching him in 2 games against us then a YouTube video you’ve decided he’s on the same level as VVD?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3824 on: December 12, 2018, 08:43:24 am »
In recent years the plaudits have gone to our attack, now it's the turn of the defence.  We may not be scoring as much but we don't necessarily have to.  We're winning more games because of Virgil and Alisson.

As United have shown in the past, the bread and butter of winning silverware is about being able to close out the 1-0's, rather than winning 4-2.  If a team knows they can score against you, then they will ALWAYS fancy their chances.  Getting the opposition players' heads to drop by you scoring just once is paramount to success.

The defence has taken the pressure off the attack in some ways, so the burden is shared more evenly throughout the team as a whole.  And let's remember: it IS about the team.  The whole is great than the sum of its parts.  Great stuff to see.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #3825 on: December 12, 2018, 08:43:36 am »
So after watching him in 2 games against us then a YouTube video you’ve decided he’s on the same level as VVD?

Always rated him from before. The vid just helped to cement my opinion.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3826 on: December 12, 2018, 09:53:39 am »
Watching back some of Virgil's headers from last night.

Really not sure how this hasn't hit home hard sooner to me, but the magnificent bastard heads a ball clear further than some defenders kick it.  He often finds a man too.

Is Virgil the best CB in the world right now. He must be top 3?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3827 on: December 12, 2018, 09:59:05 am »
His yellow yesterday pick up a suspension?

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3828 on: December 12, 2018, 10:00:25 am »
I dn't know if he is the world's best I just kmow that nobody could do more in our team than VVD

We talk about VVD scoring more but goal scoring defenders outside of Ramos(who takes Pens) are a myth. It would still be nice though as he has the technique with his head and feet to score

He is imperious. After getting that yellow there was never a worry about him picking up another

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3829 on: December 12, 2018, 10:00:38 am »

Yep misses first leg of the next CL tie.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3830 on: December 12, 2018, 10:00:42 am »

Yes. Misses first leg

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3831 on: December 12, 2018, 10:29:52 am »
Yep misses first leg of the next CL tie.
I thought there'd be a clean slate after group stages, but apparently not?
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #3832 on: December 12, 2018, 11:01:19 am »
follow through's are fine, but with the studs up, it's dangerous. But you're right about how he came to it.

It's a difficult one. His studs were up, but with the ball bouncing at that height there was no other way to make the tackle. It was a perfectly timed tackle, but it could simultaneously have been an ankle breaker.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3833 on: December 12, 2018, 11:06:40 am »
I thought there'd be a clean slate after group stages, but apparently not?

It's a clean slate starting from the yellows taken in the round of 16. If VVD hadn't been booked last night then all his previous group stage yellows would've been wiped off.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #3834 on: December 12, 2018, 12:51:05 pm »
I remain absolutely 100% convinced he is going to score every single time he is in the box for a set piece.
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #3835 on: December 12, 2018, 01:12:09 pm »
I think you need to take account of the angle of the challenge - if VVD had tackled like that 'head on' - ie in line with Merten's run, it could have been considered dangerous because there would be a good chance that he'd collide with the forward. As he tackles across the line of the run and timed it perfectly, the fact that his follow through caught him was unfortunate, but not dangerous. I didn't even think it was a foul, let alone a card.

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3836 on: December 12, 2018, 01:19:04 pm »
It's a clean slate starting from the yellows taken in the round of 16. If VVD hadn't been booked last night then all his previous group stage yellows would've been wiped off.

Ta.
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3837 on: December 12, 2018, 01:25:24 pm »
He's been the calming presence in the defence since he joined and he'll be absolutely missed for the next game but I can't help but feel confident we'll be ok, especially with our new calm and confidence inducing player in goals.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3838 on: December 12, 2018, 01:33:59 pm »
Would love him as captain but its quite b'political' stripping players of captaincy when they are still part of the first team. Hyppia handled it exceptionally and i'm sure Henderson would as well

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #3839 on: December 12, 2018, 02:02:39 pm »
Would love him as captain but its quite b'political' stripping players of captaincy when they are still part of the first team. Hyppia handled it exceptionally and i'm sure Henderson would as well

I know Klopp let them choose their 3rd captains, I'd be interested to see what would happen if the squad chose for their captain and vice. To be honest, the captain isn't as important as it's made out to be, they're just a figure head really. You want a team full of captains, not just one

Disappointing.
[/quote]