Author Topic: Jordan Henderson  (Read 427405 times)

Offline redhokie8

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Jordan Henderson
« Reply #4200 on: May 7, 2012, 04:17:02 am »
Bottom line is at the moment he isn't good enough to start every game for us. Ideally some one in his position comes in and learns from top class centermids, while trying to displace them. Competition is what molds good players into great players, he simply hasn't had that. I think he can improve, but he needs time and more quality competition for places. Only time will tell, but for some of the younger players coming through us improving as a team will have a huge impact on them as individuals.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4201 on: May 7, 2012, 04:45:02 am »
Bottom line is at the moment he isn't good enough to start every game for us. Ideally some one in his position comes in and learns from top class centermids, while trying to displace them. Competition is what molds good players into great players, he simply hasn't had that. I think he can improve, but he needs time and more quality competition for places. Only time will tell, but for some of the younger players coming through us improving as a team will have a huge impact on them as individuals.

Henderson is sort of neither here nor there kind of MF. He is obviously skilled and has potential, but he is also lacking in some vital things as well to be either DM or AM. He will never be a good RM as he does not have enough acceleration, dribbling ability nor does his rigth foot have the skill to be able to trump those inadequacies as Beckham had. Perhaps he can be a good linkup partner for the DM to tie the MF together and feed the AM and strikers, but will we play with so many players in CM all the time?

IMHO what we need is a dominating CM to play with Lucas - a player like Yaya Toure - who can create, tackle, run with the ball and score. Against weaker opponents, we can then play with two of them in CM and a winger on the left, Suarez on the right, either a player like Jovetic or Gerrard in the no.10 position, and a goalscoring striker upfront.  Against stronger opponents in MF, Henderson can then be added to CM.

Offline chrishughes

• no brainer...
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #4202 on: May 7, 2012, 04:51:04 am »
The problem I have with Henderson is that he plays the safest possible pass. Oftentimes he elects to play the ball back when there is an option on the left or right to play the ball up the field. I think it's a confidence issue more than anything else.

Offline Vipsa

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4203 on: May 7, 2012, 05:23:34 am »
Henderson is sort of neither here nor there kind of MF. He is obviously skilled and has potential, but he is also lacking in some vital things as well to be either DM or AM. He will never be a good RM as he does not have enough acceleration, dribbling ability nor does his rigth foot have the skill to be able to trump those inadequacies as Beckham had. Perhaps he can be a good linkup partner for the DM to tie the MF together and feed the AM and strikers, but will we play with so many players in CM all the time?
Exactly, a luxury young player you add to a complete squad for a few million where he can come in certain games to add bodies to the midfield and carry the ball around to keep possession.  Not a 15-20 million signing to a thin squad with glaring holes in it in a "rebuilding" phase. That is what pisses me off the most and the fact we already had an exact player for that role in the books in Shelvey. Every single one of the other signings you could say were in positions we needed, even though a lot of fans agreed the ones signed were the wrong ones. That's why I'm extremely scared of what might happen in the summer if Dalglish stays and is given more money. But that's another discussion.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4204 on: May 7, 2012, 05:30:43 am »
I have no problem having Henderson in the midfield beside a DM but at the moment he should be cover. At this stage I don't want him playing big games like the FA Cup because I don't think he's ready. I do think he's quality enough to play when sheilded by a DM that he'll be a good option to have.

I think he'll improve in time, he'll get mucch stronger and technically better at tackling, that alone will improve him markedly. With that strength he'll get more confident and more willing to take players on, that confidence will improve his decision making too. He's getting shots at goal and as he calms down a bit his technique will shine through and he'll become more a goal threat.  He'll never be Steven Gerrard but he could become our Garreth Bary or slightly better.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2012, 05:33:42 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Vipsa

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4205 on: May 7, 2012, 05:40:56 am »
I have no problem having Henderson in the midfield beside a DM but at the moment he should be cover. At this stage I don't want him playing big games like the FA Cup because I don't think he's ready. I do think he's quality enough to play when sheilded by a DM that he'll be a good option to have.

I think he'll improve in time, he'll get mucch stronger and technically better at tackling, that alone will improve him markedly. With that strength he'll get more confident and more willing to take players on, that confidence will improve his decision making too. He's getting shots at goal and as he calms down a bit his technique will shine through and he'll become more a goal threat.  He'll never be Steven Gerrard but he could become our Garreth Bary or slightly better.

Do you have a crystal ball or something? What is it that makes you feel that he'll all of a sudden develop those skills? From what he has shown, he has more of a chance developing into a Dean Whitehead or David Dunn.

Offline DW9

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4206 on: May 7, 2012, 05:46:36 am »
he will likely never become a player of the calibre that Lucas has already become.

Why?

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #4207 on: May 7, 2012, 06:58:21 am »
Exactly, a luxury young player you add to a complete squad for a few million where he can come in certain games to add bodies to the midfield and carry the ball around to keep possession.  Not a 15-20 million signing to a thin squad with glaring holes in it in a "rebuilding" phase. That is what pisses me off the most and the fact we already had an exact player for that role in the books in Shelvey. Every single one of the other signings you could say were in positions we needed, even though a lot of fans agreed the ones signed were the wrong ones. That's why I'm extremely scared of what might happen in the summer if Dalglish stays and is given more money. But that's another discussion.

some posts make me have serious doubts about whether their authors actually know the first thing about football. obviously this isn't directed at you. with you i have no doubts whatsoever.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4208 on: May 7, 2012, 07:07:04 am »
Why?

Based on the skillset and general traits that he has displayed so far.

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta la victoria siempre
« Reply #4209 on: May 7, 2012, 07:11:27 am »
one of the oddest things about the world wide internet is the tendency of people to feel the need to proclaim things - even situations years into the future - as unassailable facts, and to somehow use these delusional assertions as arguments to bolster their own weak arguments.

thus "i don't think henderson has played very well this season", which is fine (if inaccurate), becomes "henderson is never going to be a good player. he's always going to be as rubbish as i insist he is now, and the fact that i'm saying it now is proof of my statement!"

of course it happens the other way too (i've often said i firmly believe henderson and lucas are the future of our midfield) but as a liverpool supporter that would seem to be a little bit more of a natural thing to do. hope in your heart and all that.

as for your second paragraph, are you Vidocq in disguise?  i love the weasel words though.  if/when henderson does become a leading player for club and country, you'll use your hedged bet to say "oh no, i wasn't wrong when i said he was utter garbage back when he played a huge number of games as a young player in a new team and in various positions during a laboured transition season of struggle and serious injuries to teammates.  he's just upped his improvement curve.  simples."

bollocks.

I don't see you pulling up people in the Spearing thread , people who have made sweeping grandiose conclusive statements such as "Spearing is never going to be good enough" , do i?  No , probably because you don't give a flying fuck about it.

Weasel words? What do you want me to fucking say? That he is never going to be good enough , no matter what he does on the pitch or how much he improves? Sorry , you ain't getting that bollocks out of me.

I have an open mind about Henderson , I've said so several times in this thread alone. However I also call things the way i see it and nothing that Henderson has done in his past 3 seasons has indicated to me that he will go on to become a top class midfielder in a top side and I am going to stick to that unless he does something to change my mind , which I will be fucking glad too , irrespective of what you and your ilk think.

You will never walk alone , Shanklyboy. RIP.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4210 on: May 7, 2012, 07:23:17 am »
I have an open mind about Henderson...
:odd

...I am going to stick to that unless he does something to change my mind...
:wave

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta la victoria siempre
« Reply #4211 on: May 7, 2012, 07:29:36 am »
:odd

I am not engaging you. You got me a warning last time. I hate your shitty profile picture too. Off you go into the ignore list.
You will never walk alone , Shanklyboy. RIP.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #4212 on: May 7, 2012, 07:43:37 am »
Based on the skillset and general traits that he has displayed so far.

Beg to differ. And its not like he has to develop into a Lucas. Hendo, in fact, has all the traits to be a really good player.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4213 on: May 7, 2012, 07:51:31 am »
I am not engaging you. You got me a warning last time. I hate your shitty profile picture too. Off you go into the ignore list.
Brilliant. Then I can take the piss out of your posts with impunity then.

1. You either don't know your own mind (likely), or you don't know the meaning of what you're what you're writing (possible) if you think you're 'open minded'

2. You attempt to defend one Liverpool player (laudable) by relentlessly attacking another just shows you age. Stop ruining the thread. it's dull

3. Your constant attacks on other posters with your name calling and pulling them up on their behaviour only illustrates you own self-worth

4. You got yourself a warning, unless you're admitting that you're actually weak minded

5.  :wave

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4214 on: May 7, 2012, 07:53:10 am »
Beg to differ. And its not like he has to develop into a Lucas. Hendo, in fact, has all the traits to be a really good player.

Hopefully he will indeed become a really good player for the club's sake and our sakes!

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4215 on: May 7, 2012, 07:54:15 am »
I'd agree. Henderson has a really impressive, instinctive vertical pass, something he does on the run. We've seen a little of it this season but I hope to see more as he settles.

royhendo

« Reply #4216 on: May 7, 2012, 08:10:07 am »
Degenerated into bickering and abuse, so locked for a bit. Come on - you guys are good posters - don't get yourself muted over a daft wee difference of opinion on Jordan Henderson.

royhendo

« Reply #4217 on: May 9, 2012, 12:15:32 am »
Oh go on then... ;)

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4218 on: May 9, 2012, 12:16:52 am »
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #4219 on: May 9, 2012, 12:22:15 am »
the thing is, henderson has been making those lung busting attacking runs all season, wherever he's played.  our distribution just hasn't been imaginative enough to think beyond getting the ball to suarez or gerrard.

for me, the difference between henderson and shelvey was summed up in one moment where we won the ball back on our left and the ball was played to shelvey in the middle, with runners breaking ahead of him. suarez made a run and there was a straightforward through pass to be made between two defenders and he'd have been away.  shelvey played it wide instead, which is fine.  i reckon henderson would have put that on a plate for suarez though.

shelvey is a fine player, but for sheer quickness of thought and execution, henderson's one of the best in the squad. the first time through ball is like his special move.

oh, and that finish.  class.  how ironic that such a torres-esque goal should be scored against chelsea...
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4220 on: May 9, 2012, 12:23:18 am »
Has Jordan played with Lucas in the middle this season?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #4221 on: May 9, 2012, 12:27:04 am »
Great performance and goal to cap it off. Looking forward to see his development next season.

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #4222 on: May 9, 2012, 12:29:04 am »
Henderson and Shelvey looked good together tonight. The more I watch them both the more I like them.

I'm hoping and expecting Henderson will come out of the block and out of the shadows next season and show us what he is capable of.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Volante

• Kopite
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #4223 on: May 9, 2012, 12:30:35 am »

I don't think so, when Lucas was fit Hendo wasn't used in the center was he?

Offline himynameisntmark

• itsalgernonmuckbucketjuniorthethird
  • Kopite
« Reply #4224 on: May 9, 2012, 12:31:23 am »
Love the way Hendo plays, reminds me abit of Aquilani, he just keeps ticking us over. Think he's got everything in him to be a top, top player and that includes his attitude

Offline Dam Sodd

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #4225 on: May 9, 2012, 12:35:27 am »
Played lad
Cool down and play

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #4226 on: May 9, 2012, 12:38:21 am »

Chelsea away when we played something more akin to three in the middle. Arguably.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4227 on: May 9, 2012, 01:04:01 am »
Well played lad. Henderson has been working like that throughout.  Great to see him get some reward.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #4228 on: May 9, 2012, 01:06:40 am »
Lucas, Henderson and Shelvey in a midfield three :lickin

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4229 on: May 9, 2012, 01:13:27 am »

Yup.  It's the future, with Sterling on the left and Gerrard coming in when fit for the front of the three (or on the right)

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4230 on: May 9, 2012, 01:25:02 am »
Henderson and Shelvey looked good together tonight. The more I watch them both the more I like them.

I'm hoping and expecting Henderson will come out of the block and out of the shadows next season and show us what he is capable of.

Maybe with the pressure off a bit tonight the two of them opened up their shoulders, or whatever the saying is for relaxing just right. Two very nice goals they got, easy to miss, but they both just took it on and let their ability do its stuff. I agree with you, I am looking forward to these two playing more games together next season, and taking on responsibilities the way they did tonight. We could have a couple of very fine players developing here. I think we have, at least.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #4231 on: May 9, 2012, 01:32:51 am »

Agreed - he is solid central midfield player in either a 442 or 433, imo 

He is a woeful wide attacking player.

And does anyone else get sick and tired  of the announcers' and media's "20 million man pricetag" discussions?

The kid cost 13 million pounds plus some add ons. It was confirmed by all the ITKs this past summer. 
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline imnofreak

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4232 on: May 9, 2012, 01:35:40 am »

Will be a fantastic midfield for years to come. Great balance too, Shelvey furthest forward, Lucas screening the back 4, and Henderson sitting in between, keeping things ticking over.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4233 on: May 9, 2012, 01:48:22 am »
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4234 on: May 9, 2012, 02:12:41 am »
Played like a boss tonight - hopefully he'll do well if/when he partners Lucas in midfield for next season. Intelligence, technique and no end of running - playing with the experience and know-how of Lucas will help bring his game on even further.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #4235 on: May 9, 2012, 02:23:51 am »
Best position for him would be DM or close to DM.No RW or CAM.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #4236 on: May 9, 2012, 02:26:03 am »

IMHO what we need is a dominating CM to play with Lucas - a player like Yaya Toure - who can create, tackle, run with the ball and score. Against weaker opponents, we can then play with two of them in CM and a winger on the left, Suarez on the right, either a player like Jovetic or Gerrard in the no.10 position, and a goalscoring striker upfront.  Against stronger opponents in MF, Henderson can then be added to CM.

or we could be moving towards an interchanging midfield, for which Henderson, Shevley and Lucas are perfectly suited
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline steveee

• Main Stander
« Reply #4237 on: May 9, 2012, 02:29:44 am »
Anfield Index ‏ @AnfieldIndex
Jordan Henderson finished with a 93% Pass Accuracy and attempted 40% of his passes forward. More than any other midfielder or striker.

his passing stats are among the best in our squad this entire season but people do not care about stats or ever notice them.. but I guess it does show that he doesn't always pass backwards. some would rather play a kuyt in his place the majority of the time that passes the ball to other team more than any other Liverpool player. This is the very simple reason why Kenny will always play Henderson over Kuyt.

« Reply #4238 on: May 9, 2012, 02:30:19 am »

His is alot more than that, maybe you don't see it. He has looked much better playing at DM and making late runs into the box and now I think of it one of his best cameos against united at Anfield when he came on for Lucas and played with Gerrard in CM and nearly scored. He can work on his positioning an tackling and who better to teach him than Lucas

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #4239 on: May 9, 2012, 03:08:21 am »
The Henderson pictures are made even better by the shirt logo "Seeing is Believing".

Today his ability was clear to see.