Author Topic: 49 years ago today  (Read 2985 times)

Offline SPLee

• Kopite
  • last seen in 3ft(13ft) fountain in istanbul
49 years ago today
« on: December 1, 2008, 10:58:43 am »
The great man signed, I never saw him or met him, my mum saw him in '65 when we won the cup but i know he is a part of me! am sure he would admire Rafa nearly 50 years on if he were here.

Thanks Mr Shankly.

RIP
@sevvyparklee

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: 49 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: December 1, 2008, 11:04:22 am »
a great yet small man :D

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 1, 2008, 11:13:45 am »
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band !

Offline SA RED

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3 on: December 1, 2008, 12:17:19 pm »
Omen, Amen

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #4 on: December 1, 2008, 01:10:40 pm »
The great man signed, I never saw him or met him, my mum saw him in '65 when we won the cup but i know he is a part of me! am sure he would admire Rafa nearly 50 years on if he were here.

Thanks Mr Shankly

I was thinking about it this morning, thank you for remembering, he'll really appreciate it . I'm certain he would like Rafa very much
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #5 on: December 1, 2008, 01:16:46 pm »
Wouldn't be where we are today and with the proud history we have without the great man having sparked the club into life the way he did.

Always the heart and soul of this club.

Offline adamtoale

• Main Stander
  • every other saturday's me half day off.
« Reply #6 on: December 1, 2008, 01:52:41 pm »

Thanks Mr Shankly.

RIP

Nice words. And I wholeheartedly agree that he would be a big fan of Rafa.

Lets see if we can honour him tonight with a victory. C'mon the Red Men.
"We were playing Liverpool next week in the Cup, so I sent one of our scouts to Anfield to find their weak point. He came back and said 'The Half time Tea's a bit cold, thats about it'"

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #7 on: December 1, 2008, 03:40:31 pm »
What a day to reclaim the top
come on you mighty reds
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 1, 2008, 04:21:46 pm »
Prior to this date.
Liverpool Football Club were struggling to get out of the old 2nd division for 6years.
Playing in a shithole of a stadium with training facilities to match.

By 62/63 we were back in the top flight and Champions the year after.

Hard to imagine what was to come.
God bless The Boss

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Varun

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: December 1, 2008, 04:25:21 pm »
We'll never forget you Shanks, YNWA.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #10 on: December 1, 2008, 04:51:40 pm »
I had the pleasure of seeing him coming up to the Kop with many a trophy, and I'll never forget the joy and total pride that he always had on his face. 

I remember in 73 when Northern Ireland's home internationals had to be played in England because of the troubles. My mate and I went to watch them against England at Goodison.  After the game we stood behind the main stand hoping to get a glimpse of some the players etc..
After about half an hour this little smart fella comes out of one of the doors and there's a mad commotion with fans and photographers all pushing up to greet him. That smart little fella was the great man himself..

I'll never forget the look on everybody's face as he walked up towards us.  Even the photographers who were taking pictures were pausing and looking at him as if he was God..

Fucking great memories of a great, great man....

Offline Dousty

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: December 1, 2008, 04:58:54 pm »
Simple words can't really do justice to the effect Bill had on our great football club.  I think it's fair to say it's mostly his efforts as to why we are referred to as a "great" football club. 

He certainly did turn us into that 'bastion of invincibility' he envisaged and laid the foundations for a period of domination across Europe that has yet to be matched by any other British club.  Let's hope it stays that way (unless Rafa's LFC are the one to usurp that record of course :D)

"Four or five working-class heroes were the inspiration for eleven others in red, who in turn put fifty thousand watching spectators into a fiery trance every ninety minutes."  Jamie Carragher, on Liverpool's legendary bootroom.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 1, 2008, 05:01:55 pm »
Could go on and on and on. But... It's all thanks to The Shanks ...just about say's it all.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #13 on: December 1, 2008, 11:03:08 pm »
Prior to this date.
Liverpool Football Club were struggling to get out of the old 2nd division for 6years.
Playing in a shithole of a stadium with training facilities to match.
Spot on mate.  Look where we are now, top the league in the top league. But that'll never be enough for some.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2008, 01:27:10 am by Terry De Niro »

Offline Curva Nord '77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 2, 2008, 01:12:29 am »
Wouldn't be where we are today and with the proud history we have without the great man having sparked the club into life the way he did.

Always the heart and soul of this club.

Amen to that.

RIP Bill.

YNWA