Author Topic: Smart Heating  (Read 976 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Smart Heating
« on: August 11, 2021, 01:55:43 pm »
Anyone installed one of these setups?

Just got up and running with Tado. I’m by no means an expert in electrics but the instructions were exceptionally put together. You tell the app the make/model of your existing thermostats, it shows you a photo to confirm then gives you customised instructions on what wiring goes where.

Compatible with all the usual smart speakers etc as well as Apple HomeKit. Particularly like the geofencing so during the winter if and when we are all out of the house it will turn the heating off and then bring it back on automatically when we get to within a customisable range from the house.

Only downside so far is the cost of the TRV’s that go on each radiator. They’re optional but give better control and will stop rooms being heated that are already at the designated temp but they are very expensive. They are about £50 a pop and there’s 15 radiators in my house. I bought one to test with and that’s gone in the room I use as an office for home working, so can he on a schedule from Mon-Fri 8:00 to 4:00 and off at other times. I may over time some up on Prime Days / Black Fridays etc but certainly not all in one go. Highly recommended otherwise though.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Re: Smart Heating
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 01:24:36 am »
Anyone installed one of these setups?

Just got up and running with Tado. I’m by no means an expert in electrics but the instructions were exceptionally put together. You tell the app the make/model of your existing thermostats, it shows you a photo to confirm then gives you customised instructions on what wiring goes where.

Compatible with all the usual smart speakers etc as well as Apple HomeKit. Particularly like the geofencing so during the winter if and when we are all out of the house it will turn the heating off and then bring it back on automatically when we get to within a customisable range from the house.

Only downside so far is the cost of the TRV’s that go on each radiator. They’re optional but give better control and will stop rooms being heated that are already at the designated temp but they are very expensive. They are about £50 a pop and there’s 15 radiators in my house. I bought one to test with and that’s gone in the room I use as an office for home working, so can he on a schedule from Mon-Fri 8:00 to 4:00 and off at other times. I may over time some up on Prime Days / Black Fridays etc but certainly not all in one go. Highly recommended otherwise though.
It depends on whether you already have "dumb" TRVs installed or not. If you do, then it's probably not worth changing on all your rads and just stick them in the odd location that makes sense like you have with the home office.

I've had Hive for the past 6 years or so (before they had TRV options) and just manually set the TRVs for each room accordingly. E.g. my office room never gets hot but it will come on if its really freezing outside.

I do tend to keep the temp cooler and prefer to turn it up as necessary so I guess it depends on if you like it toasty! Having an app means you end up fiddling with it more (if you are like me)!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Smart Heating
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 09:25:04 pm »
Heating just doesn't get into my house without a nice tie, a decent haircut and some shiny shoes.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.