Author Topic: Overrated?  (Read 41809 times)

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Overrated?
« Reply #840 on: December 1, 2021, 05:21:43 pm »
Both dreadful films, not funny and highly overrated

I can see an argument for them being overrated and the humour not being for everyone, but I'd be interested to hear how they're 'dreadful'?  They're both very decent movies at worst.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: December 1, 2021, 06:01:47 pm »
I can see an argument for them being overrated and the humour not being for everyone, but I'd be interested to hear how they're 'dreadful'?  They're both very decent movies at worst.

I guess I tend to overreact to a movie, band, musician etc being overrated (IMO) and default to calling them/it dreadful.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #842 on: December 1, 2021, 06:12:31 pm »

I guess I tend to overreact to a movie, band, musician etc being overrated (IMO) and default to calling them/it dreadful.

You're dreadful.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: December 3, 2021, 01:02:02 pm »
War on Drugs
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #844 on: December 3, 2021, 01:19:51 pm »
Ralph Rangnick.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: December 3, 2021, 01:20:51 pm »
Ralph Rangnick.
But he taught Klopp everything he knows.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #846 on: December 3, 2021, 01:21:04 pm »
Spotify
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: December 10, 2021, 08:56:54 am »
Richard Osman.

He is like an old woman in a tall mans body.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: December 10, 2021, 09:02:46 am »
Richard Osman.

He is like an old woman in a tall mans body.

He is rather Pointless.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #849 on: December 10, 2021, 01:56:21 pm »
War on Drugs
Seconded.

Star Wars films. 9 films within the 'main' story, only 2 were great, 2 were okay, the rest middling to poor to downright shite. 1 great film amongst the spin-offs, then a lot of mediocre stuff and one crap film.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: December 10, 2021, 02:02:17 pm »
Seconded.

Star Wars films. 9 films within the 'main' story, only 2 were great, 2 were okay, the rest middling to poor to downright shite. 1 great film amongst the spin-offs, then a lot of mediocre stuff and one crap film.

Best thing to come out of Star Wars is The Mandalorian although I can't really comment on the recent movies as I fell asleep during each of them  ;D

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: December 10, 2021, 02:13:35 pm »
Best thing to come out of Star Wars is The Mandalorian although I can't really comment on the recent movies as I fell asleep during each of them  ;D
Kind of proves my point!  ;D

I've directed my comment about being overrated to the films as a whole, there's some brilliant individual films in there that do weave into the overall narrative nicely. Also the Star Wars lore, mythos and extended universe has some fantastic parts to it - I've enjoyed plenty of games and books in the Star Wars mythos, some canon, some not, some once. But the main line films, there's more bad ones than brilliant.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #852 on: December 10, 2021, 05:19:39 pm »

It condemns Star Wars even more!  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: December 11, 2021, 08:19:37 am »
I know everyone will disagree, but:

- 'The Dark Knight' (Ledger is brilliant, but it's overstuffed and a bit of a mess to me structurally; there's relatively little of Batman; far prefer almost every other Nolan film)

- 'Diego Maradona' (great access to never before seen stuff, but far from Kapadia's best; never conveyed properly what an incredible footballer Maradona was; Mexico 86 section was limp as fuck for example; overall, far prefer other football documentaries, like Bobby Robson More than a Manager)

As I'm sure has been stated on this thread over and over, saying I think these films are overrated doesn't mean I think they're bad - just that I've never been able to understand how they're so universally lauded. I feel personally like both were praised above what they should have been due to the directors' existing reputations (both of which were deservedly good), rather than being judged solely on the films themselves.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 08:21:33 am by decosabute »

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: December 11, 2021, 11:31:40 am »
I know everyone will disagree, but:

- 'The Dark Knight' (Ledger is brilliant, but it's overstuffed and a bit of a mess to me structurally; there's relatively little of Batman; far prefer almost every other Nolan film)

Apart from ledger there is no redeeming features at all, overrated hipster dogshite.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: December 11, 2021, 11:56:22 am »
Alex Scott
Grand Budapest Hotel
Lord of the Rings
5 guys
Tom Cruise
Neymar
The LFC Ticket Office*
lord of the rings 
Ryan Giggs
Old Trafford
Breaking Bad
The Simpsons
Monty Python
Italian food
Reality TV
Bill Hicks

* you may think its not rated, but its still a lot shitter than you imagine

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:00:01 pm by Kenny's Jacket »
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: December 11, 2021, 12:09:57 pm »
- 'Diego Maradona' (great access to never before seen stuff, but far from Kapadia's best; never conveyed properly what an incredible footballer Maradona was; Mexico 86 section was limp as fuck for example; overall, far prefer other football documentaries, like Bobby Robson More than a Manager)
Maradona isn't just about him as a footballer, in fact that's pretty much secondary. It's about him as a man, a flawed genius and an iconoclast, in the historical context in which he lived. It was a great documentary, I'd maybe agree that you need to presume or already know his standing as a player, but people I know who know nothing of football thought it was brilliant.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #857 on: December 11, 2021, 03:53:18 pm »
Alex Scott
Grand Budapest Hotel
Lord of the Rings
5 guys
Tom Cruise
Neymar
The LFC Ticket Office*
lord of the rings 
Ryan Giggs
Old Trafford
Breaking Bad
The Simpsons
Monty Python
Italian food
Reality TV
Bill Hicks

* you may think its not rated, but its still a lot shitter than you imagine

You've overrated Lord of the Rings by listing it twice...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: December 11, 2021, 09:38:26 pm »
Maradona isn't just about him as a footballer, in fact that's pretty much secondary. It's about him as a man, a flawed genius and an iconoclast, in the historical context in which he lived. It was a great documentary, I'd maybe agree that you need to presume or already know his standing as a player, but people I know who know nothing of football thought it was brilliant.

I mean, fair enough, I realise this is probably what most people would say. I just feel though, that even though he was such an iconoclast and that his rise-and-fall story can be told almost like a mafia film, it's still the utter genius of his play that's most important and what makes the rest interesting. Just felt like so much of the football side of it felt surprisingly flat.

I still thought it was pretty good overall, but just felt that it absolutely paled in comparison to something like the same director's 'Senna', which both painted a brillant portrait of a complex, charismatic man, yet was also absolutely thrilling when it came to the sport itself. Just personally feel that the universal ecstatic praise 'Diego Maradona' received was due to a combination of people loving Maradona and a pavlovian response because of what the director had already done, rather than because it actually was an amazing film. But to be fair, I know I'm massively in the minority on this.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: December 12, 2021, 12:13:39 am »
It's right up there if we're talking about the best first five minutes of any film though, right?

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: December 12, 2021, 08:31:33 am »
It's right up there if we're talking about the best first five minutes of any film though, right?

Yeah, it's a very good opening. Just wasn't anywhere near as crazy about the rest as seemingly everyone else.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: December 12, 2021, 09:00:56 am »
You've overrated Lord of the Rings by listing it twice...

2nd entry just after Id written Ticket Office. The thought of those fuckers puts my head in a spin

yesterday they sold a designated wheelchair space to an able bodied bloke on his first visit to the ground
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #862 on: December 12, 2021, 10:45:55 am »
Radiohead

I really like their first two alternative rock albums and then the rest after that's just causing nausea trying to listen to it.
Linudden.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #863 on: December 12, 2021, 11:51:01 am »
Lego, Meccano was miles better

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: December 12, 2021, 12:16:01 pm »
Dayot Upamecano.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: December 12, 2021, 12:18:23 pm »
Dayot Upamecano.

Upalego was much better.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: December 12, 2021, 12:21:11 pm »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Darkness

• Tedious WUM, loves betting on Man U
  • Main Stander
« Reply #867 on: December 12, 2021, 12:49:12 pm »
Stars Wars is absolute shite for fat virgin nerds. I just don't get the fuss with it.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #868 on: December 12, 2021, 12:52:58 pm »
Stuart Lee
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: December 12, 2021, 01:01:15 pm »

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #870 on: December 12, 2021, 01:10:28 pm »
Jamie Carragher

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #871 on: December 12, 2021, 03:39:02 pm »
Stars Wars is absolute shite for fat virgin nerds. I just don't get the fuss with it.

‘Star Wars’

It may be that you’ve been watching the wrong thing
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: December 12, 2021, 03:48:35 pm »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #873 on: December 12, 2021, 04:07:20 pm »
The Exorcist.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: December 13, 2021, 03:35:56 pm »
Don't know if they're rated, but if so then they're definitely overrated

The Darkness

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #875 on: December 14, 2021, 06:44:28 pm »
Tayloired Shiftless
Kayne Worst
Oh, Lorde
Ed the Sheercheek
Etc

You use autotune? You can't sing.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #876 on: December 14, 2021, 06:47:59 pm »
Stewart is much better.
Annoyingly autocorrected after a typo!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Babel Time

• "Gezza job!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: December 14, 2021, 07:19:53 pm »

Actually, The Mandalorian may be the most overrated of all Star Wars titles. Season two was basically a bland procedural, where one episode felt exactly like the other and completely disjoint. Add to that a boat load of paper-thin, overly cliched characters.

Was very disappointed when I watched it after all the hype.
Babel Time (n) Difference in time between supporters calling for player to come from the bench in a bid to change the game, and the time it takes the supporters to round on said substitute after he's come on and proved ineffectual. ...

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: December 14, 2021, 10:36:58 pm »
See, this is the kind of post that should be in here. If it doesn't have a justification, it doesn't count.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: December 17, 2021, 05:17:21 pm »
Did I mention The Manic Street Preachers?

Their latest album is on in the office.

It's a dreadful dirge

How do people get away with producing such awful shite?