Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 441797 times)

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2019, 09:49:50 am »
The DDT promotion in Japan held a show at a local swimming pool complex recently, I used to do this shit every weekend in the David Lloyd in Speke when I was 10 ;D

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:51:30 am by OsirisMVZ »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2019, 09:54:00 am »
Apparently Vince's latest directive is that there shouldn't be wrestling during commercial breaks. Which is why we're now seeing loads of 2 out of 3 Falls matches on TV (two last night on Smackdown). They can still have long matches on TV, but they go to break between falls. That's going to wear thin fast.

I read a review from a fan who attended Raw this week and this really didn't work well with the crowd as the wrestlers just... stopped wrestling and they would bring out heels onto the stage to get 3 minutes of heat [insulting_local_town] before they continued on with the next fall of the match in the ring. That's gonna take time for them to work it out.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2019, 09:57:50 am »
I read a review from a fan who attended Raw this week and this really didn't work well with the crowd as the wrestlers just... stopped wrestling and they would bring out heels onto the stage to get 3 minutes of heat [insulting_local_town] before they continued on with the next fall of the match in the ring. That's gonna take time for them to work it out.

Hahaha, seriously? Holy shit that sounds terrible.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:47 am »
Come on, Claus.  The post you replied to was about Seth embarrassing himself on Twitter - he's someone you really dislike (and you're not a fan of Becky either), but instead of using it as an opportunity to go in on him you instead went off on a tangent about Ospreay being a bad wrestler.  It was just needlessly antagonistic.  We're a small bunch of posters and everyone's tastes are pretty well known, you knew exactly who would get riled up by that post - it was pure bait.

It's shit like this that gets people's dander up and threads deleted.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline ElDuderino

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2019, 11:33:12 am »
Was this Will guy the one who was in that "greatest match ever" where they started doing finishers five minutes in, and then they were completely fine and still doing them 30 minutes later? If so, Claus is right.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2019, 11:52:24 am »
Was this Will guy the one who was in that "greatest match ever" where they started doing finishers five minutes in, and then they were completely fine and still doing them 30 minutes later? If so, Claus is right.

That's not the point I was making, but whatever.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2019, 12:34:16 pm »
Come on, Claus.  The post you replied to was about Seth embarrassing himself on Twitter - he's someone you really dislike (and you're not a fan of Becky either), but instead of using it as an opportunity to go in on him you instead went off on a tangent about Ospreay being a bad wrestler.  It was just needlessly antagonistic.  We're a small bunch of posters and everyone's tastes are pretty well known, you knew exactly who would get riled up by that post - it was pure bait.

It's shit like this that gets people's dander up and threads deleted.

So it's "shit on Seth or don't post"? Fuck that. I've explained why I don't like Ospreay, has anyone explained why they do? Of course not, just more outrage and fury at someone daring to have a differing opinion.

And the opinion that Ospreay is artless and shit isn't even remotely controversial. Search it on Twitter - even if you filter out all the posts about how shitty a person he is, there's tons of people that think he's shit at his job for roughly the same reasons I've outlined in here. What's the point in having a thread to discuss wrestling if the only acceptable posts are ones that parrot an affliction-shirt wearing 50-something doofus?

There's a billion dudes like that, Ospreay is the guy who does elaborate rehearsed choreography that doesn't actually involve pretending to hit his opponent or his opponent pretending to hit him. It's like a gymnastic routine that always ends in a stand off.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:36:00 pm by Claus »
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2019, 12:42:53 pm »
So it's "shit on Seth or don't post"? Fuck that.

Not at all.  You don't even like Seth and he's been acting like a jackass on Twitter but you chose to randomly focus on Ospreay's wrestling ability instead for no apparent reason, surely you can see how that might look a little troll-like?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2019, 12:45:25 pm »
Fucking hell lads it’s wrestling. If you’re getting riled up about someone saying a wrestler is shit, maybe the thread should just be deleted  ;D

It’s a bit like me saying that Nick Cotton was a c*nt to his ‘ma
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2019, 12:46:36 pm »
Fucking hell lads it’s wrestling. If you’re getting riled up about someone saying a wrestler is shit, maybe the thread should just be deleted  ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2019, 12:53:47 pm »
Not at all.  You don't even like Seth and he's been acting like a jackass on Twitter but you chose to randomly focus on Ospreay's wrestling ability instead for no apparent reason, surely you can see how that might look a little troll-like?

Ospreay isn't random he's the other guy acting like a jackass in their little dick (pun intended) measuring contest!

"Lads...it's wrestling" should have been my first response, haha.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2019, 12:58:20 pm »
To be fair re: Ospreay. He's a highly divisive character, even amongst a lot of his fellow workers and not just his personality traits.

My only take on the stupid Twitter BS is that Rollins let himself down completely. He's supposed to be the "top guy" in WWE and getting sucked into Twitter spats with guys like that and using "little guy" etc is already shit but then having to pull out the "let's compare bank balances" line was cringy as fuck. The WWE's top guy comes off looking like shit to an "indy"/Japan guy, not a good look for Rollins or WWE in a time they need every little victory they can get.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2019, 01:00:34 pm »
Ospreay has been a bellend on Twitter for a while now but Seth has somehow come out of this looking like a bigger bellend.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2019, 01:09:12 pm »
Hes been toeing the company line alot more recently. Had a pop at Dean Ambrose for his recent comments on WWE as well.

As the current 'top' guy in WWE he is probably in the safest position right now. Mates with HHH and capable of putting on solid and safe WWE matches.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2019, 01:10:24 pm »
To be fair re: Ospreay. He's a highly divisive character, even amongst a lot of his fellow workers and not just his personality traits.

My only take on the stupid Twitter BS is that Rollins let himself down completely. He's supposed to be the "top guy" in WWE and getting sucked into Twitter spats with guys like that and using "little guy" etc is already shit but then having to pull out the "let's compare bank balances" line was cringy as fuck. The WWE's top guy comes off looking like shit to an "indy"/Japan guy, not a good look for Rollins or WWE in a time they need every little victory they can get.

The other weird thing I learned is that Seth is only 6'1 (same height as "little guy" Will Ospreay). I always thought he was a tall dude, probably because 40% of his body is neck.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2019, 01:12:33 pm »
The other weird thing I learned is that Seth is only 6'1 (same height as "little guy" Will Ospreay). I always thought he was a tall dude, probably because 40% of his body is neck.

Jericho was jizzing over how tall Ospreay actually is in his podcast with him a while back, but Jericho is pretty small and round.  Ospreay has been packing on the weight and adjusting his style (less flippy stuff) to move up to heavyweight and protect his ropey neck.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2019, 01:40:15 pm »

Get outside lad I’m not having any Nick Cotton slander in here.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2019, 03:14:46 pm »

Yes! I meant to actually comment on that too. I saw Jericho's tweet. I was of the impression that Rollins was 6'4 for some reason. Although I don't believe Ospreay is 6'1, I am and I've met him twice and always thought he was smaller than me (not by a whole not). Either way, very interesting and makes Rollins look like an even bigger bell end with his "little man" comments. He's really made a fuckin idiot out of himself with all this.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2019, 03:37:44 pm »
Yes! I meant to actually comment on that too. I saw Jericho's tweet. I was of the impression that Rollins was 6'4 for some reason. Although I don't believe Ospreay is 6'1, I am and I've met him twice and always thought he was smaller than me (not by a whole not). Either way, very interesting and makes Rollins look like an even bigger bell end with his "little man" comments. He's really made a fuckin idiot out of himself with all this.

I'm telling you it's because he has an 18" neck!

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2019, 03:58:08 pm »

Hahaha. I never noticed it before. Either way, he's not a very likeable guy and now with this Twitter bullshit that's even more apparent. During his first run as WWE champion when he was a whiny heel in the Authority was the perfect role for him.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Ospreay's matches, but he had a match with WALTER that was one of the best matches I've ever seen live. Then again, WALTER's ring psychology is one of the best in the world. But I do also admire what he's doing for younger talent with his Frontline promotion.

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2019, 08:03:53 pm »
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2019, 08:59:27 pm »
Actually had no idea Undertaker turned up to save Roman on Raw this week until I saw a meme about it.

WWE Network are going to stream the Evolve 10th Anniversary Show with tons of Evolve alumini (the half of the NXT roster that didn't come from NJPW/ROH) which is on the same night as AEW Fight For The Fallen*. Make of that what you will!

*They have two many shows with Fight in the title
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:28:34 pm by OsirisMVZ »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2019, 09:12:33 pm »
Actually had no idea Undertaker turned up to save Roman on Raw this week until I saw a meme about it.

WWE Network are going to stream the Evolve 10th Anniversary Show with tons of Evolve alumini (the half of the NXT roster that didn't come from NJPW/ROH) which is on the same night as AEW Fyter Fest. Make of that what you will!

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2019, 10:28:04 pm »
WWE is so terrified of AEW that they're getting their nephew promotion's nephew promotion to fight them off! It's getting wild now!

In hilarious news, Kenny Omega got really mad online about it, got owned repeatedly, deleted his tweet and is now trying to un-own himself.

It's like the Monday Night War but instead of Austin, Michael's and Rock vs Nash, Hogan and Goldberg it's just a bunch of fucking nerds on all sides.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2019, 12:44:25 am »
WWE Network are going to stream the Evolve 10th Anniversary Show with tons of Evolve alumini (the half of the NXT roster that didn't come from NJPW/ROH) which is on the same night as AEW Fight For The Fallen*. Make of that what you will!
Seems bizarre any way you look at it. In theory, the best way for WWE to get through this should be to improve what they do best. Instead, they're putting a pseudo NXT show up against a show doing something similar with much more famous talent. Seems like a lot of money to spend just to give their biggest rivals another victory.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2019, 02:49:28 am »
Seems bizarre any way you look at it. In theory, the best way for WWE to get through this should be to improve what they do best. Instead, they're putting a pseudo NXT show up against a show doing something similar with much more famous talent. Seems like a lot of money to spend just to give their biggest rivals another victory.

The show was already happening, they just decided to televise it. It probably cost them pennies.

There's been talk of Evolve shows appearing on the network forever. My guess is it's just a little petty shot across the bows, nothing to write home about.

Someone on Twitter made a great point: a lot of the people squawking about a new Monday night war weren't even watching the first one because they were toddlers. It's leading to this weird white noise where everything AEW does is a shot at WWE and everything WWE does is the same.

It hasn't even begun (assuming it ever does) and people are chalking up wins and losses.already. weird behavior.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2019, 10:01:52 am »
This is just the start of it, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of WWE super show running on the network the same date and time as AEW's TV debut.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2019, 11:07:37 am »
Going back to the 2 out of 3 falls thing, I thought it was really weird to have that type of match twice on one show on Tuesday! Its usually a feud ending match. I dont know what WWE can do to shake things up for the good, but jeez booking is poor at the minute.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2019, 03:00:53 pm »
This is just the start of it, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of WWE super show running on the network the same date and time as AEW's TV debut.

Not only do I expect it, I think they should do it.

In yet more weird Monday Night Wars news, apparently Vince has put Heyman and Bischoff in charge of Raw and SmackDown respectively, as "executive directors" reporting directly to Vince and Steph.

I have no idea what this means, or if it's true, but what a wild fucking year this is. And it's June.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2019, 03:03:45 pm »

In yet more weird Monday Night Wars news, apparently Vince has put Heyman and Bischoff in charge of Raw and SmackDown respectively, as "executive directors" reporting directly to Vince and Steph.

I have no idea what this means, or if it's true, but what a wild fucking year this is. And it's June.

That's a super weird move if true.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2019, 03:07:16 pm »
That's a super weird move if true.

I love the idea of having proper wrestling bookers at the top of each show. Heyman was a phenomenal mind back in the day and Bischoff is also a person who exists, so the concept is cool at least.

In reality, Vince is still picking champions and setting rules. If there's no wrestling during commercial breaks, these guys are going to have to work aroubd it.

My hope is they're both focused on building out the roster and getting some.of the undercard guys on tv every week.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2019, 03:10:16 pm »

Bischoff being employed once again by WWE is a surprise, not that he doesn't have a good brain for sports-entertainment which he clearly does, but I thought those days were behind him.

Just shows how desperate WWE are to shake things up creatively. Despite that I don't see much changing to be honest.

The product is too safe and it's gone stale.

FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2019, 03:14:35 pm »
Bischoff being employed once again by WWE is a surprise, not that he doesn't have a good brain for sports-entertainment which he clearly does, but I thought those days were behind him.

Just shows how desperate WWE are to shake things up creatively. Despite that I don't see much changing to be honest.

The product is too safe and it's gone stale.

If they have any sort of autonomy it's easy to spice it up a bit. Just depends on how much freedom they have.

Also when you say "safe" it's 100% going to be PG programming, that won't change for as long as Mattel are making their toys.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2019, 03:18:16 pm »
So these aren't on-screen roles? Interesting. There's clearly an acceptance within WWE that things need to change, but it all comes back to Vince and how much control he's willing to relinquish - not much, presumably. I'd guess that maybe Vince just wants to give the TV execs someone to bitch at who isn't him.

Offline arfy05

• Legacy Fan
  • Conspiracy Theorist
    • The arfy blog
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2019, 05:34:17 pm »
At this rate Russo and Cornette will be back by years end and we will have a piñata on a pole on a monday and a texas deathmatch hair vs hair broadway on Fridays

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2019, 05:55:48 pm »
Smart move by Vince.

Maybe they have been put in place as Vince will concentrate on the XFL relaunch soon

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2019, 06:12:25 pm »
The only way this is a smart decision is if they make sure that they are never onscreen personalities. Make no mention of it on the show. Not even a second on camera. Heyman has to drop Lesnar and stay back stage

If they play this right then it could be smartest decision WWE has made since launching NXT

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2019, 06:12:44 pm »
I’d actually like if they just rehashed old storylines but with Vince as he is now

‘It’s me R-Truth! It was me all along R-Truth’