Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 921837 times)

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 01:51:56 am »
Still the best player in the world. Ronaldo is close, I admit, but his team went out of Champions League and Spanish Cup earlier than Barca... so far.

Messi wins on abilities and Messi wins in terms of his teams performances so far. Don't care how Argentina does, it is their fault if they can't use him.

Rooney is distant third, IMO. Then there's Villa etc.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 01:52:59 am »
Ronaldo scores pens and free kicks as well but if you were to offer me one I'd go for Messi every day of the week.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 01:57:00 am »
This is just plain wrong.

I don't want to go off on my Zidane rant again, because I honestly don't see him as any greater than Del Piero, Nedved or Rivaldo.. but in '98 he did not carry France. Before two headers in the final his world cup was far more likely to be remembered for a ridiculous sending off (oh the irony). France weren't dragged to the final by Zidane - he was a non-entity up until that point. France got there by having one of the great defences.

As far as Zidane and Messi go I don't think it's even close myself. Messi is just as elegent (probably more so) and far more effective.

I've always said the real Ronaldo is far and away the best player I've ever seen, but I think Messi is on the verge of surpassing him, if he hasn't already. It's not just the volume of goals or assists, it's the way he plays. It's so perfect, it's almost like a computer game. Those rare moments the ball is close to being out of his control he just turns on this incredible pace and gets there first, before using that similarly incredible balance to draw the foul or beat the marker.

That first touch for his second goal tonight... You couldn't have made that more perfect if you were controlling him on Fifa.

I never did hold Zidane up as one of the very, very best- I put it solely down to me missing most of his career though, as everyone waxes lyrical about him. Apart from a few highlights videos and of some matches towards the end of his career at Real, I never saw him much at all. He was great in the last world cup of course.

Not to say he's not one of the true greats of the game. I just never saw him on the same level as Ronaldo (who I guess was the first hyper star I remember watching). Messi would be. If not better.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2010, 02:04:45 am »
Zidane was undoubtedly one of the finest players of his generation. I don't see the point in comparing
him to Messi, Ronaldo or anyone else as they are all different types of players in their own right with
incredible attributes which made them stand apart in football.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2010, 02:05:35 am »
I never did hold Zidane up as one of the very, very best- I put it solely down to me missing most of his career though, as everyone waxes lyrical about him. Apart from a few highlights videos and of some matches towards the end of his career at Real, I never saw him much at all. He was great in the last world cup of course.

Not to say he's not one of the true greats of the game. I just never saw him on the same level as Ronaldo (who I guess was the first hyper star I remember watching). Messi would be. If not better.
Honestly, Zidane was THE best player in the world bar none for a period and nobody was even close. I rate him as one of the true legends of the game. Figo was an unbelievable player, world class winger and Portugal's legend, but once Zidane came to Madrid and started playing his game, I think he dwarfed the money grabbing c*nt. That's how much better Zidane was from nearest group of players.

Ronaldo, being legend and all, was still fairly behind him. He was reduced to being a non-factor for most part of the game as he was not working for the team, not running enough etc. He was a pure goalscorer, but there were many as good. I know, he was the best before his injury, but people tend to overrate Ronaldo after injury, IMO. Van Nistelrooy and Henry were scoring bucketloads as well, but never were mentioned anywhere close to Zidane. Ronaldo was mentioned purely due to his pre-injury record. When Ronaldo got transferred to Milan, nobody in Madrid really cared, but when Zidane retired, they were emotional.

Zidane may not be on the level of Maradona and Pele, but he is right below them in the second tier. Together with Cruyff and... Messi ;D

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2010, 02:07:47 am »
Zidane was undoubtedly one of the finest players of his generation. I don't see the point in comparing
him to Messi, Ronaldo or anyone else as they are all different types of players in their own right with
incredible attributes which made them stand apart in football.
Correct. But if somebody wants to compare fake Ronaldo to Zizou, I can see why they do it. Both are/were superstars of the game. However, played very different game in different positions. Don't know how are they going to compare the two. Statistics? That's bull...

If I were a manager, I would choose Zidane in his pomp over fake Ronaldo every time.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2010, 02:16:46 am »

If I were a manager, I would choose Zidane in his pomp over fake Ronaldo every time.
Oh no doubt. Zidane had an ability to control the game and play everything at his own pace even though every opposition set their team up to stop him from playing......a big guy like that, with no pace but also managed to beat players at will.

He also had this talent for taking an extra touch just when a defender thought he would release the ball and it always gave him another yard of space because of it. Example of this would be a goal he scored vs Germany.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:20:06 am by b_joseph »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2010, 03:37:56 am »
He was superlative inducingly brilliant in the second half against Valencia. The first two goals were stunning. Easily best player in the world for me. If he can stay away from serious injury (and given the way he gets kicked about, he probably won't), it's scary to think how much better he will become.

Offline Tweekage

• Legacy Fan
  • Please dispose of all waste properly
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2010, 04:01:41 am »
I'd put messi on maybe the third or fourth "tier" of the best footballers of all time.

Maradona, Pele
Zidane, Cryuff, Di stefano
Muller, Zico, Platini, Hagi, beckenbaeur, eusibio
ronaldo, platini, best, puskas, van basten
messi, batistuta, recoba

just my opinion
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:03:39 am by Tweekage »

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2010, 04:12:39 am »
Cristiano Ronaldo is a better player than Messi.

Nothing against the little genius, love to watch him in action. Just feel that Ronaldo is much more of a threat and is capable of carrying teams on his own unlike Messi who, although brilliant, needs the team to play well to get the best out of him.

But his first goal today when he just changed direction so effortlessly was a joy to watch. When he runs, he glides and I hope him and Higuain can do well in the World Cup.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:21:48 am by Una cerveza, por favor »
C'est la vie.

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2010, 05:09:16 am »
I'm gonna get so ripped for this, haha. But what does Messi do that CRonaldo doesnt do?

Personality/humilty being left out of it, ofcourse.

And then something that I wont be ripped for. I think Zidane was better and I think the real Ronaldo was better.

For a start, Messi works hard for the team as well as producing moments of complete brilliance.
Ronaldo doesn't...in fact his attitude to team-mates is fucking terrible.

That's the difference...one is a proper all-round special player, the other is a great showboater who scores goals
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2010, 05:11:55 am »
Cristiano Ronaldo is a better player than Messi.

Nothing against the little genius, love to watch him in action. Just feel that Ronaldo is much more of a threat and is capable of carrying teams on his own unlike Messi who, although brilliant, needs the team to play well to get the best out of him.

But his first goal today when he just changed direction so effortlessly was a joy to watch. When he runs, he glides and I hope him and Higuain can do well in the World Cup.

You're hardly objective and you're also wrong....very few non-Real and non-Man u fans would give your view any credibility.

I've watched Messi lift Barca to new heights many a time, and the quality of his individual goals far surpasses Ronaldo's.
They stick in the memory and leave you wondering how a player can beat men with such balance and poise...you end up watching again and again to see what it is he does that is so good...that's the sign of true genius, it's effortless.
It's pure old-school dribbling taken to new heights because the game now is so much faster than years ago, making his ability all the more special.
And he also isn't afraid to graft, unlike Ronaldo with his ridiculous arms in the air, complaining to team-mates bullshit.
Ronaldo's a helluva player but relies much more on pace and is without doubt more interested in individual glory.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:15:58 am by Regi »
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2010, 05:29:52 am »
For a start, Messi works hard for the team as well as producing moments of complete brilliance.

That's the difference...one is a proper all-round special player, the other is a great showboater who scores goals

You clearly don't watch enough of Real Madrid then. This season, Ronaldo has worked extremely hard for the team. He ran his feet into the ground against Sevilla and played well today also. Ronaldo can single handedly carry a team as he has in the past on many occasions, Messi cannot. Messi's goals may be easy on the eye but at the end of the day, its the times the ball hits the back of the net that matters rather then whether it came after beating 5 men or not. 

It's funny because I spent all of last year telling Manc fans that Messi was better but having removed my red-tinted glasses after his departure, I think Ronaldo just pips it. It seems as if you cannot separate Ronaldo, the twat, from Ronaldo the player. We'll see during the World Cup whether either of these can outperform the other, easily the best 2 players out there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:36:42 am by Una cerveza, por favor »
C'est la vie.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2010, 05:48:38 am »
At the world cup they will both fall well short of RRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2010, 06:27:31 am »
Notice when Messi starts on the bench and if Barca was having problems on the field, the chap comes on and more oft than not, impacts the game Barcas way.....Crisnaldo can t do the same..
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2010, 08:59:04 am »
Messi or Kuyt? Hmmmm tough choice

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2010, 09:05:30 am »
Notice when Messi starts on the bench and if Barca was having problems on the field, the chap comes on and more oft than not, impacts the game Barcas way.....Crisnaldo can t do the same..
Possibly because CRonaldo has never been in a situation this year where he has been on the bench and Real have been struggling.

I get what you are saying and I agree that Messi works harder off the ball. But there is something that tells me that you are taking personality into the equation.

Thats the thing with CRonaldo. IMO, Its hard to get real honest opinions on him because you either have a few people who adore him or then have the majority who would like to knock him out.

I think they are just as good as each other but completely different in how they go about things. Neither of them are miles ahead of the other but both of them, when you factor in the past few years, are miles ahead of the remainder of the footballing world.

But again, thats just my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:10:24 am by b_joseph »

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2010, 09:11:53 am »
If he wins a world cup I see no reason why he can't be described as the best of all time. Seriously.
If Argentina win the World Cup then it will have been one hell of a tournament.

Hopefully Dunga selects Ronaldo and he comes back for one last ride and has a mother of a tournament.  That would be a dream.

P.S

Was just thinking yesterday that what if somebody had twisted Messi's arm and got him to play for Spain?  He would have won the World Cup then.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2010, 09:13:36 am »
Definitely the best player in the world imo and an example to kids that you can be the best without
the histrionics

Yes Ronaldo can score lots of goals and assit too ( great header of a abll too). ITs not just that . Ronaldo to me at times is hit it hard and hope in the general direction of the goal( lampard like ).
 I cant believe people cant see that .

Messi is and always will be on a different level.

He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2010, 09:33:38 am »
Definitely the best player in the world imo and an example to kids that you can be the best without
the histrionics

Yes Ronaldo can score lots of goals and assit too ( great header of a abll too). ITs not just that . Ronaldo to me at times is hit it hard and hope in the general direction of the goal( lampard like ).
 I cant believe people cant see that .

Messi is and always will be on a different level.
Spot on - and another example of the old cliche "Size doesn't matter".

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2010, 09:37:11 am »
I'd put messi on maybe the third or fourth "tier" of the best footballers of all time.

Maradona, Pele
messi, batistuta, recoba

just my opinion

Don't know where to start with this. Deary me.

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2010, 10:05:36 am »
You clearly don't watch enough of Real Madrid then. This season, Ronaldo has worked extremely hard for the team. He ran his feet into the ground against Sevilla and played well today also. Ronaldo can single handedly carry a team as he has in the past on many occasions, Messi cannot. Messi's goals may be easy on the eye but at the end of the day, its the times the ball hits the back of the net that matters rather then whether it came after beating 5 men or not. 

It's funny because I spent all of last year telling Manc fans that Messi was better but having removed my red-tinted glasses after his departure, I think Ronaldo just pips it. It seems as if you cannot separate Ronaldo, the twat, from Ronaldo the player. We'll see during the World Cup whether either of these can outperform the other, easily the best 2 players out there.

I admit I don't watch much of Madrid, but this point of carrying a team on his own is nonsense.
That's no way to judge 2 players IMO

For a start, the 2 teams are very different and set up in different ways.
Therefore, it's pointless to say that one is better because he carries that team...it's different scenarios.
All that does is suggest that the team getting carried isn't quite as good as the team that doesn't need anyone to carry it.

I'm not saying Ronaldo isn't top class...he clearly is a special player with the whole range of attacking qualities..
But the vast majority of fans worldwide acknowledge Messi as the greatest...the quality of his individual goals are the stuff of legend already...solo goals to go alongside Maradona, and that's the ultimate barometer.
He makes the game look outrageously easy and, yes, I admit, the fact he plays it with a smile adds to the image.

He's being talked about among the best ever and you don't hear Ronaldo's name in those conversations...maybe some day he will be in there, he's certainly young enough, but thus far he lags behind.

I totally agree that a great World Cup for either player will have a bearing though.
Maradona's status was sealed in 86, just like Cruyff, Pele, Garrincha etc before him 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:10:08 am by Regi »
Lester Freamon

Offline MerseysideRedsFan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2010, 10:37:28 am »
For me, there might hardly be any difference between the two. Both have scored a bucket load of goals. The difference comes in the way of audience and what they'd prefer to watch, Ronaldo's power, skill, athleticism or Messi's touch, control and dribbling abilities. I know what I'd like to watch all day, Messi by a country mile.
Five days shalt thou labour, as the Bible says. The seventh day is the Lord thy God's. The sixth day is for football.

Offline wardides

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A FUCKING BEACH BALL
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2010, 10:38:24 am »
Interesting, where's you get these stats from mate?

ESPN are decent for stats like that.As I got them last night i duno if it has his hatrick from saturday or ronaldos goal last night into it aswell.I think it just backs up the general feeling of the difference between them.Ronaldo constantly shoots.If he was to catch up with Messi in Terms of goals played,presuming he takes the same average amount of shots as he has in the first 22 games, he would take an astonishing 210 shots.Ronaldo is a player who will shoot and shoot and shoot and eventually something has to go in.How many of Messi's goals have you seen were the keeper as made a mistake or was poor.He is sublime.The greatest player ive ever seen in my lifetime.Only one that comes close is the real ronaldo.
Bet 1, Lyon v B Munich...No Hat Trick @ 1.03.
Little does he know, he's left the Beatles and joined fucking Razorlight.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2010, 10:57:42 am »
ESPN are decent for stats like that.As I got them last night i duno if it has his hatrick from saturday or ronaldos goal last night into it aswell.I think it just backs up the general feeling of the difference between them.Ronaldo constantly shoots.If he was to catch up with Messi in Terms of goals played,presuming he takes the same average amount of shots as he has in the first 22 games, he would take an astonishing 210 shots.Ronaldo is a player who will shoot and shoot and shoot and eventually something has to go in.How many of Messi's goals have you seen were the keeper as made a mistake or was poor.He is sublime.The greatest player ive ever seen in my lifetime.Only one that comes close is the real ronaldo.

Indeed, good post.

In lots of ways it is almost impossible to say unequivocally who is the better player but it is this sort of thing that does it for me.  Ronaldo must be the main guy, take all the shots/free-kicks have everyone looking for him all game and for him to just keep on shooting.

This just doesn't happen with Messi, obviously they want him on the ball as much as possible but he really helps to get the best out of his teammates.  I'll be extremely surprised if Ronaldo finishes his career with the same medal collection for this reason.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2010, 11:27:22 am »
France weren't dragged to the final by Zidane - he was a non-entity up until that point.

He missed one game because of his sending off, apart from that he was his usual brilliant self as I remember it. And in Euro 2000 he dominated like no player had in a major tournament since Maradona in 86.

Although he had a good tournament in 2006 as well, he was well past his best by then. The Zidane from around 2000 had simply everything (even a decent turn of pace, as well as unbelievable technique). Best player since Maradona, in my opinion.

Offline Hyderabad Red

• Is back... and having an identity crisis.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2010, 11:32:40 am »
Legend at the age of 22.

Offline Aristotle

• is a bugger for the bottle. Apache tool wielder extraordinaire - especially in wardrobes. The 'Oral B' Specialist.....brushes his cavities vigorously outdoors.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Happiness depends upon ourselves
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2010, 11:38:08 am »
The thing is though. What will he be like 5 years from now. Will he be crossing the ball and heading it in himself, it's basically the only thing he has left to do. Maybe getting the occasional free kick goal but that's about it. Defenders of the future are already having nightmares that they might have to face him sometime in the future.
My twitter
If Harry can get Spurs to the CL 1/4 final then he could get England to the World Cup final.

Offline CaptainBeefheart

• Vliet of foot - in fact he is fast and bulbous
  • Anny Roader
  • S.O.S.
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2010, 11:49:12 am »
Top two I've seen in my lifetime, up there with the real Ronaldo.  Impossible to say where he stands in the greatest of all time lists though, each generation will have their favourites.

One thing to consider with Maradona though, that we can't with Messi because he'll probably be at Barcelona for life is that Maradona not only carried Argentina to the World Cup in '86 he played a massive part in transforming a club side.  Napoli were an inconsistent mid table team when Maradona joined.  Between '86 and '90 they won their first two Scudetto's, finishing second in the other two seasons, they won only their third Coppa Italia and their first ever European trophy. When he left they never challenged again.  That for me is a greater achievement than the World Cup win. 

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2010, 12:05:26 pm »
He missed one game because of his sending off, apart from that he was his usual brilliant self as I remember it. And in Euro 2000 he dominated like no player had in a major tournament since Maradona in 86.

Maradona scored twice in the quaters, twice in the semi and set up the winner in the final in 86? Zidane scored twice in the final in '98, but he was unavailable for the Paraguay game (which france were fortunate to win), the Italy game was dour and went to penalties and is anyone really going to take the Croatia semi-final away from Thuram? That was as good a fullback display as there's been.

I'll give you Euro2000, but if memory serves Totti and a couple of the dutch players (De Boor was it?) had really good tournaments as well.

I thought Zidane was one of the best in the world, but I still don't think he was any better than someone like Rivaldo. I didn't get to see the likes of Cryuff but if Zidane was really on par with them then that's a disappointment for me.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2010, 12:11:48 pm »
I think people are going to have to start including Higuain in all these discussions.

The lad is criminally under-rated, despite his performances being absolutely breath-taking.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2010, 12:14:54 pm »
Don't know where to start with this. Deary me.

Do what I did. Face/Palm. Continue to scroll to next post.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2010, 12:15:54 pm »
Do what I did. Face/Palm. Continue to scroll to next post.

Ditto. Who the fuck plays 3 in goal?
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2010, 12:18:00 pm »

Maradona, Pele
messi, batistuta, recoba

just my opinion
Hagi above Ronaldo,Puskas, Van Basten
Recoba on par with Messi
:(
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2010, 12:31:09 pm »
Ditto. Who the fuck plays 3 in goal?

Some on here would argue, quite passionately, that Rafa might if he was given the chance.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2010, 12:31:52 pm »
Is Maradona still in charge? If they got someone with a bit of tactical nous in rather than a sentimental appointment, who knows what they can achieve, if everything clicks.

Dunno how they line up but they could potentially have a attacking quartet of Messi, Higuain, Tevez and Milito with Masch protecting.

Offline wardides

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A FUCKING BEACH BALL
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2010, 12:34:08 pm »
The thing is though. What will he be like 5 years from now. Will he be crossing the ball and heading it in himself, it's basically the only thing he has left to do. Maybe getting the occasional free kick goal but that's about it. Defenders of the future are already having nightmares that they might have to face him sometime in the future.

Will he ever leave Barcelona though i think thats the only main thing left to do.As people have said its hard to compare him to Maradonna until he does what Diego did at Napoli.In my opinion this is unfair as the game has changed an awful lot and his situation is alot different.Maradona didnt want to go to napoli.Ok maybe didnt want is a bit strong but the only reason he left Barcelona was due to constant arguing with the president at that time(whos name escapes me) and had no choice to leave.Napoli didnt storm the title.They won it by 3 points.So Maradona didnt carry them to certain heights people say.In no way am i trying to downplay what he did there but im just saying I dont think you can hold that against Messi.I think Maradona would admit himself he would have preferred to stay in Spain,something which Messi has done because of what he his.An honest,natural footballer who just wakes up thinking about playuing football and most likely goes asleep thinking about football.

For people to say Messi hasnt carried a team on his back like Zidane,Maradona did i think is nonsense.What about when Barcelone were down to 10 men in the 06/07 season against Madrid and Messi equalised 3 times for barca with a stunning hatrick to earn them a point.In the same season where he broke a metertarstal he scored 11 goals in the last 13 League games to bring the title race to the very wire.Or last season in SHaktar Donetsk.Barca 1 nil down.Messi comes off the bench.Barca win two with him scoring both.Also when they were 1 nil down against Racing after christmas.Messi came off the bench and scored two wonderful goals,a win which many say won the title for barcelona.As did he score the only goal in a win near the end of the season(not sure against who) to secure barcelona stayed 6 points ahead of Madrid.Same year Copa Del Rey final.Barca win 4-1.Messi Scores and sets up two.Do i need to remind you of the champions league final."Messi cant score against an english club".."The one thing missing from his game that ronaldo has is that he dosnt score enough headers"..Famous last words indeed.

Before writing this i wasnt convinced that he could be called the best.But after realising how many times he has carried Barcelona when they needed that inspiration.And at 22.Greatest player to grace a pitch.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2010, 12:37:47 pm »
Is Maradona still in charge? If they got someone with a bit of tactical nous in rather than a sentimental appointment, who knows what they can achieve, if everything clicks.

Dunno how they line up but they could potentially have a attacking quartet of Messi, Higuain, Tevez and Milito with Masch protecting.
et cambiasso
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline wardides

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A FUCKING BEACH BALL
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2010, 12:44:37 pm »

et cambiasso

Lucho Gonzalez,Fernando Gago,Evar Bengea(who has been amazing this year),Lavezzi,Sergio bloody Aquero!Dont think Higuain is quite fancied so id expect it to be more so

Masch     Cambiasso

Tevez    Aguero  Messi

Milito

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2010, 12:46:18 pm »
He's just so dangerous, be it from a yard out or from inside his own half, if he's near the ball then there's trouble afoot and you know there's a very real danger of conceding a goal.
109 goals in 197 appearances for Barca, it's quite something for a player who is not a traditional centre forward, and usually plays wide right.