Author Topic: Anime Anyone?  (Read 79774 times)

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
Re: Anime Anyone?
« Reply #600 on: July 26, 2021, 10:39:31 am »
Getting a bit frustrated with 7 Deadly Sins.  Too many people getting mortally wounded or dying and then coming back to life straight away, and other people being bad guys but then good guys but then bad guys but not really they're a good guy now.

It's a fun show, but it feels a little cheap and I just don't buy it when someone gets messed up anymore.  About midway through the third season.

A lot of that gets explained as it goes. And some don't always make it...

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #601 on: August 15, 2021, 04:37:05 am »
I've always wanted to watch Evangelion but never quite got around to it. Noticed there's a set of four films which is supposedly a retelling of the story. Should I go straight to these and skip the TV version and the original two films?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #602 on: August 15, 2021, 06:15:26 am »
I've always wanted to watch Evangelion but never quite got around to it. Noticed there's a set of four films which is supposedly a retelling of the story. Should I go straight to these and skip the TV version and the original two films?

I read the wikipedia summaries (having watched the original). I probably wouldn't go there, because it goes off the deep end just as much (if not even more) than the original series.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: August 15, 2021, 07:11:06 am »
I read the wikipedia summaries (having watched the original). I probably wouldn't go there, because it goes off the deep end just as much (if not even more) than the original series.
Thanks. Think I'll watch the TV series first up then.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #604 on: August 15, 2021, 09:56:26 am »
Thanks. Think I'll watch the TV series first up then.
Definitely watch the TV series first, then the early 00s movie End of Evangelion. THEN these Rebuilds.

The Rebuild movies are an alternate telling of the story that at some point go off into their own direction, and have subtle callbacks etc. It wouldn't make any sense for you if you watched those first. They are well worth watching though! I watched the 4th movie on friday night and it was worth the wait.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: August 15, 2021, 10:06:28 am »
Definitely watch the TV series first, then the early 00s movie End of Evangelion. THEN these Rebuilds.

The Rebuild movies are an alternate telling of the story that at some point go off into their own direction, and have subtle callbacks etc. It wouldn't make any sense for you if you watched those first. They are well worth watching though! I watched the 4th movie on friday night and it was worth the wait.
Alright, thanks, sounds good!

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: August 17, 2021, 11:46:37 am »
Binged through Death Note for the first time.

Spoiler
It was really, really good at least until L's death. Dragged for a bit after that but the resolution was solid enough.
[close]

Online leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #607 on: August 18, 2021, 02:40:14 am »
That's usually the general consensus with Death Note. Also agree with the guys about Evangelion, start with the series. It gets a bit weird towards the end but is deffo worth watching. I think Anno said he was depressed when he made Evangelion and it mirrored his emotions, it definitely shows lol.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: August 18, 2021, 11:23:13 am »
That's usually the general consensus with Death Note. Also agree with the guys about Evangelion, start with the series. It gets a bit weird towards the end but is deffo worth watching. I think Anno said he was depressed when he made Evangelion and it mirrored his emotions, it definitely shows lol.

And a note about Evangelion: its theme song is the most karaoked anime song ever. The OP theme of Touch is usually considered to be the second.

A Cruel Angel's Thesis (Yoko Takahashi)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU21rCWkuJw

Touch (Yoshimi Iwasaki)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4klawrwXpD4

Another of my favourites, the OP theme of Maison Ikkoku.

Kanashimi yo Konnichiwa (Yuki Saito)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znCRPdCabvQ
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: August 18, 2021, 08:22:06 pm »
Binged through Death Note for the first time.

Spoiler
It was really, really good at least until L's death. Dragged for a bit after that but the resolution was solid enough.
[close]

Pretty much what everyone I know thinks. Still a very good watch for the most part just has a lull at that point

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #610 on: August 24, 2021, 11:36:22 am »
Casting for the live action Bebop series looks so off to me. I like John Cho but he doesn't seem the right fit. The others are worse.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/netflix-cowboy-bebop-premiere-date-john-cho-spike-spiegel-first-look-images-1234819040/
:D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: August 24, 2021, 12:23:25 pm »
Casting for the live action Bebop series looks so off to me. I like John Cho but he doesn't seem the right fit. The others are worse.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/netflix-cowboy-bebop-premiere-date-john-cho-spike-spiegel-first-look-images-1234819040/

Jet looks way too young and not bulky enough.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #612 on: August 24, 2021, 03:34:45 pm »
Jet looks way too young and not bulky enough.

Yeah I'm not sure how they'll make his backstory believable.

On the flip side Spike is too old. ;D

Online leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #613 on: August 24, 2021, 05:46:16 pm »
John Cho has the acting chops but isn't what I think of when I think of Spike plus isn't he meant to be what, 25/26? like you said he looks older than Jet.

The clothes look like bad cosplay, hopefully that's fixed up in post. I remember pictures from before the Witcher aired that looked bad but ended up looking okay.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #614 on: August 24, 2021, 05:53:04 pm »
Young Benicio Del Toro is the only acceptable choice for Spike.

Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: August 24, 2021, 09:22:53 pm »
Faye is also too meh.

Online leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #616 on: September 26, 2021, 04:51:09 pm »
https://youtu.be/Yq2N-9EmedA

The Cowboy Bebop live action intro.

Does anyone know how to embed videos on here?

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #617 on: October 12, 2021, 01:26:13 pm »
https://youtu.be/Yq2N-9EmedA

The Cowboy Bebop live action intro.

Does anyone know how to embed videos on here?

[flash=640,360]https://www.youtube.com/v/Yq2N-9EmedA[/flash]

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Yq2N-9EmedA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Yq2N-9EmedA</a>

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #618 on: October 12, 2021, 01:27:45 pm »
Always felt the anime was overrated, never really got the hype for it, so I expect I'll be less annoyed than others if the live action strays far from its source material.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: October 13, 2021, 04:52:21 am »
Second season of Demon Slayer has just started airing albeit the first arc is a re-telling of the movie with some new scenes.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #620 on: October 13, 2021, 04:41:17 pm »
Trailer for the final part of the final season of AoT is out:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jRVKBrJ7X-o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jRVKBrJ7X-o</a>
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #621 on: October 13, 2021, 09:38:50 pm »
[flash=640,360]https://www.youtube.com/v/Yq2N-9EmedA[/flash]

Cheers mate.

The last season of AOT is going to be so hype!

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: November 4, 2021, 04:12:02 pm »
Finally got around to watching Cowboy Bebop.

Didn't really enjoy the first few episodes. But then it got better and better. Or maybe it was good from the beginning and I needed time to be comfortable with it.

But wow! No words to describe how I am feeling right now. I feel like the story overall is a bit sad, but I am content with how it all went down.

Jumped to the top of my favourites. Will be watching this back again loads in the future.

Definitely recommend this to anyone interested.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #623 on: November 28, 2021, 06:18:28 am »
Finally got around to watching Cowboy Bebop.

Didn't really enjoy the first few episodes. But then it got better and better. Or maybe it was good from the beginning and I needed time to be comfortable with it.

But wow! No words to describe how I am feeling right now. I feel like the story overall is a bit sad, but I am content with how it all went down.

Jumped to the top of my favourites. Will be watching this back again loads in the future.

Definitely recommend this to anyone interested.

And now feast your eyes on what they did with the live action series :lmao :lmao :lmao

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1KMlm0TVJKA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1KMlm0TVJKA</a>

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: November 29, 2021, 05:50:31 am »
And now feast your eyes on what they did with the live action series :lmao :lmao :lmao

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1KMlm0TVJKA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1KMlm0TVJKA</a>
Yikes. I am glad I didn't watch the live action series now. "Fearless" for fucks sake.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Online leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #625 on: January 9, 2022, 04:24:11 pm »
Last season of AOT starts today!

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #626 on: January 9, 2022, 04:37:19 pm »
really tired of anime as it's bloody everywhere online, but watched the first episode of Cowboy Bebop and loved it

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: January 10, 2022, 11:48:23 am »
Last season of AOT starts today!

The dub version only out later this month, I've been told.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #628 on: January 13, 2022, 11:11:31 pm »
Between 2011 and now, what would you lads recommend for an anime series that has concluded?

I watched Trigun (that one hit different, as kids of today like to write, dunno why), Cowboy Bebop, Planetes, Hell Girl, Hellsing ...and a few others. Enjoyed them all.

I'm into action generally, maybe even vampires or zombies thrown in. I tend to avoid the magic spells stories and ones that play like a role play card game, or the mecha anime, or the really sloooooow developing ones. I don't mind if a story has elements of any of that (Hell Girl was really nice and had curses and so on), but perhaps it wasn't all about that, or it wasn't central to the themes as such.

So yeah if anyone has any recommendations for a complete series, or one off movies, please list away!

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: January 14, 2022, 01:16:28 am »
Between 2011 and now, what would you lads recommend for an anime series that has concluded?

I watched Trigun (that one hit different, as kids of today like to write, dunno why), Cowboy Bebop, Planetes, Hell Girl, Hellsing ...and a few others. Enjoyed them all.

I'm into action generally, maybe even vampires or zombies thrown in. I tend to avoid the magic spells stories and ones that play like a role play card game, or the mecha anime, or the really sloooooow developing ones. I don't mind if a story has elements of any of that (Hell Girl was really nice and had curses and so on), but perhaps it wasn't all about that, or it wasn't central to the themes as such.

So yeah if anyone has any recommendations for a complete series, or one off movies, please list away!

Patlabor. Contains mecha, but are mainly police procedurals. The first two movies were made by Mamoru Oshii, and apparently got him the Ghost in the Shell gig.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline zadoktBeast

• Main Stander
« Reply #630 on: January 14, 2022, 01:41:54 am »

Film-wise, Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust are absolutely excellent (both by Yoshiaki Kawajiri). Bloodlust in particular is just how I imagine vampires and vampire stories to be; they're not your friends, they're aloof and terrifying, and they've never heard of 'Twilight'!

Series-wise, if you liked Bebop then Samurai Champloo is nearly as good, a very fun watch

EDIT: I just realised you said 2011 onwards! My bad ignore everything I said (but also don't lol)

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: January 14, 2022, 10:19:19 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions fellas..
Patlabor. Contains mecha, but are mainly police procedurals. The first two movies were made by Mamoru Oshii, and apparently got him the Ghost in the Shell gig.
I'll defo try out Patlabor, haven't heard of that one.
Film-wise, Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust are absolutely excellent (both by Yoshiaki Kawajiri).

..Samurai Champloo is nearly as good, a very fun watch
Ah yes I've seen all of these and they were all really good.

Loved how weird Ninja Scroll was, and Vampire Hunter, that style of animation is really nice.

Online leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #632 on: February 2, 2022, 03:49:53 am »

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Attack On Titan (ending this season) Great Pretender, Space Brothers, Mob Psycho 100, One Punch Man, Made in Abyss, Hunter x Hunter, Madoka Magica, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: February 2, 2022, 11:29:05 am »
Speaking of Attack on Titan, the English dub on S4 (pt2) is supposed to be out this weekend.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: March 1, 2022, 05:13:18 pm »
Season 4, part 2 is trickling out in English dub - up to ep3 now.

Speculation that there'll be 13 episodes followed by a film to wrap it all up (either that, or they'll miss out big chunks of the Manga storyline between here and ep13)

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: March 1, 2022, 05:47:41 pm »
Time to start catching up on Attack on Titan soon then!

I'm about half way through Jujutsu Kaisen, it's decent enough so far but feels a little underwhelming for how highly rated it seems to be.

Edit: Never mind, it gets better and better.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2022, 05:58:18 pm by Schmidt »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: March 8, 2022, 09:52:02 am »
S4 pt2 is shaping up brilliantly.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: March 11, 2022, 07:10:47 pm »
I finished Jujutsu Kaisen, it felt a little bit like Bleach but with curses instead of Hollow's at first but it builds to a really great second half of a season, definitely worth watching.

Also watched the first season of Re:Zero, I'd watched about half of it ages ago but fell off the wagon as it was still being released each week. Still a great show and incredibly grim in ways other shows can't be, because of the premise of the main character. Feels like it has a fair amount of romance in it which I'm not normally interested in but it's balanced out nicely by the story and action.

Now I'm rewatching the first half of Attack on Titan season 4 it's been a while, if the rest of it holds the same high standards it might just be comfortably the best anime ever made for me.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: March 11, 2022, 11:53:06 pm »
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Attack On Titan (ending this season) Great Pretender, Space Brothers, Mob Psycho 100, One Punch Man, Made in Abyss, Hunter x Hunter, Madoka Magica, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
Top recommendations (so far!) thanks!.... I've since watched One Man Punch and Great Pretender. Diverse stories and different styles of artwork. Perfect!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: March 15, 2022, 12:35:30 pm »

Now I'm rewatching the first half of Attack on Titan season 4 it's been a while, if the rest of it holds the same high standards it might just be comfortably the best anime ever made for me.

It's utterly mad. There's new strands emerging as quickly as ends are tied up. It does explain an awful lot, too - but I find myself thinking "I'm going to have to rewatch the entire thing from S1E1.