Author Topic: John Barnes  (Read 171772 times)

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
Re: John Barnes
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2009, 07:13:34 pm »
apart from the timing of the goal v villa,  (the last min jus about)  an the sheer brilliance, the great thing about that goal? the  shithouse little englander villa  fans had been  taunting barnes  after his "poor"   world cup,  how frikin sweet was that last min goal   in front of the kop, an hell  in them days the kop knew how to cellebrate we went  CRAZY.

missed about 3 or 4 league games that 87-88 season an i seem to remember it more vividly than say last season, pure magic  winning the title that year was like a procession. we were like the harlem globetrotters.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Phatz

• Clean and serene... Yeah right...RAWK's Resident Pet Shop Boy?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Not being funny right, but...
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2009, 07:28:49 pm »

Since Barnes, as a signing, only Torres comes remotely close in terms of impact on the club. In my opinion only Gerrard in the last 20 years comes remotely close to Digger in comparison as a player. Maybe Torres can be compared to him in 4-5 years if he can prove himself to be continually one of the very best players in the league. Because make no mistake John Barnes wasn't just one of the best players in the league for 4 or 5 seasons, he was undoubtedly THE best player in the league for 4-5 seasons.

Spot on. Digger was a-fucking-mazing. A footballing genius. He lives not too far away from me folks on the wirral. One saturaday was at me folks, went to get me hair cut and I'm sitting getting me hair cut and in walks Digger! Turns out the barbers well in with him and they're mates! Boss afternoon.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
'Nuff said...

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2009, 07:41:16 pm »
Some one please go back in time and bring him to the present.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline Phatz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2009, 07:55:22 pm »

Working on it as we speak. Pass me that flux capacitor...

Seriously folks, have just watched a load of youtube clips off this thread of JB. Thank you all who digged those out. I have a pure proper shite few days at work and they've put a big ole smile back on me mush. Well good.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
'Nuff said...

Offline Abdul

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2009, 07:56:45 pm »

The greatest Liverpool player i have ever seen in my lifetime. An absolute legend.

Those three seasons from 1987 were some of the best individual football i've seen in my whole life, he had everything .. game intelligence, skill, pace, strength, a shot on him, and worked damn hard for the team.

The one that sticks out most to me was a defeat at Old Trafford back in 1988, i was there at the match, and we got hammered all match, and were out of it. Then on the hour mark, after absorbing so much pressure, Barnes somehow got a bit of space and scored out of nowhere. It was moments like that, when Barnes could conjured up some magic, and often or not get us out of trouble.

Only on this ocassion we lost 3 - 1.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:00:20 pm by Abdul »

Offline Abdul

• Main Stander
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2009, 08:01:30 pm »

HERE'S A POSER FOR YOU GUYS ... Would you play the remainder of games this season with ten men, if it meant we had the Barnes circa 1987 - 1989 in our team. Even nine men?!

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2009, 08:08:51 pm »

HERE'S A POSER FOR YOU GUYS ... Would you play the remainder of games this season with ten men, if it meant we had the Barnes circa 1987 - 1989 in our team. Even nine men?!
We'd only need five men. Pepe, Carra, Gerrard, Digger and Torres.

Offline Phatz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2009, 08:13:00 pm »
We'd only need five men. Pepe, Carra, Gerrard, Digger and Torres.

Fucking class and too fucking true. Spot on.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
'Nuff said...

Offline Guavaaaaaaaaa

• Boys Pen
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2009, 08:29:21 pm »
I'm naturally right footed but because of watching him on tv, (Never got to see him live) i learn how to bang a free kick in just like him with my left foot! Absolute leg!
Theres a sort of purity about my hatred towards you, Its undiluted by any other emotion, It has the intensity of a laser, Can you feel it, Or are you made of stone?

Offline hiphopdj

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2009, 09:03:31 pm »
Anyone remember his goal against Norwich City in the cup replay at Anfield.
I shit you not a diving header from almost 20 yards a foot off the ground.

There's not been a player on these shores since that would try it never mind execute it perfectly.

That goal has to be one of my all time favs
For those of you watching in blue and white this is what a european cup looks like.

Offline Ger_H

• is a moron... no mistake
  • Main Stander
  • Done the treble
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2009, 09:10:28 pm »
John Barnes. What a talent. What a legend. A man that could produce magic. What would he be worth now? Except now we've got Kuyt and Riera. Says it all really.

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2009, 09:13:15 pm »
absolute legend of a player.

Top, Top draw.
We won it 5 times........

Offline MAL05

• Kopite
  • JFT96 - YNWA
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2009, 09:24:48 pm »
Just want to quickly say that he was my idol when growing up.  Pure legend.  Nobody made me feel more excited with the ball at thier feet.  YNWA digger.
.."I am only thinking of the next game"..

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2009, 09:26:19 pm »
My favourite moment was the free kick against Pompey in 1992, which Whelan tapped in the rebound.

Just electrifying

Remember it well, what a moment that was ;D
We won it 5 times........

Offline MAL05

• Kopite
  • JFT96 - YNWA
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2009, 09:26:44 pm »
Anyone remember his goal against Norwich City in the cup replay at Anfield.
I shit you not a diving header from almost 20 yards a foot off the ground.

There's not been a player on these shores since that would try it never mind execute it perfectly.

Cannot recall it, video anyone?
.."I am only thinking of the next game"..

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2009, 09:36:37 pm »
I'm in my mid 30's & John Barnes is easily the best English player I've ever seen.
I'd go with that and I'm in my early 40's, the one challenging him would be Gascoigne 1990 but he had no-longevity.

Barnesy was so good it was un-real.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2009, 11:28:20 pm »
i miss john barnes.

he is definitely the player we need now. in his peak he was better than ronaldo, after his hamstring injury he still was better than alonso. even in his latter days, he played upfront with rush for newcastle under dalglish.

legend as he was, i just wish he won the european cup.

better rapper than babel:

You got to hold and give,
But do it at the right time,
You can be slow or fast,
But you must get to the line.

They'll always hit you, and hurt you,
Defend and attack,
There's only one way to beat them,
Get round the back.

Catch me if you can,
Cos I'm the England Man
And what you're looking at,
Is the master plan.

We ain't no hooligans,
This ain't a football song.
Three lions on my chest,
I know we can't go wrong
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2009, 12:17:55 am »
If Digger was playing with Torres and Beardo, Toree would be gettin 40 goals a year......easy
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline LionMoy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2009, 10:08:37 am »
Steve Nicol provided the cross for Rush's first goal in the 1989 FA Cup Final. Apart from that, top post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hDQ4cChOA0

Yeah but Rush scored twice and Barnes crossed the other one! I know I'm a geek but be kind...

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2009, 10:29:21 am »
Anybody got footage of the curling header from the edge of the box he scored against Norwich I think?  An absolute beauty of a goal at a time when the hacks in the national press were criticising him for not being able to head (as there was nothing else they could criticise him for).
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2009, 10:44:49 am »
Anybody got footage of the curling header from the edge of the box he scored against Norwich I think?  An absolute beauty of a goal at a time when the hacks in the national press were criticising him for not being able to head (as there was nothing else they could criticise him for).

See my post above, it was on Sportsnight so it might be knocking about it was a replay against Norwich we won 3-0 or 3-1 Nicol & Rush scored the other goals.

It was a diving header straight as an arrow from a couple of yards outside the area and he was only about a foot off the ground utterly superb.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline wah00ey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2009, 10:48:07 am »
See my post above, it was on Sportsnight so it might be knocking about it was a replay against Norwich we won 3-0 or 3-1 Nicol & Rush scored the other goals.

It was a diving header straight as an arrow from a couple of yards outside the area and he was only about a foot off the ground utterly superb.
I remember that differently - I thought he was leaning backwards on the left hand edge of the penalty area and it curved into the far corner.  We need evidence!
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2009, 10:52:53 am »
If Kaka is worth £100m what would a young John Barnes be worth? Let alone Peter Beardsley and John Aldridge (All 3 signed with the Money Juve paid us for Rushie - for those who are too young to know)

John Barnes IMO is one of the best players I've ever seen play live in the Red of Liverpool.  King Kenny probably just about pips him but, 'Digger' could beat a man, or 3 and then pick out Aldo/Rushie or whoever with a cross or simply put it in the net himself.
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2009, 10:58:17 am »
Seen that goal against Villa mentioned a few times. I can definitely remember being at that game (remember the Villa fans giving him stick for his 'failure' at the World Cup, especially with the relative success their beloved David Platt had). Can't remember the goal that much, especially it being a late winner and definitely can't remember the crowd going wild. I was in the Main Stand though which could explain the lack of celebration - seems like some things never change!

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2009, 11:22:36 am »

It was 3-1. I have this and just about every goal from the past few decades but it would be a lot of work to post them all!
The goal against Norwich was from about 16 yards. He took it at head height but fell forwards. The keeper was outside his six yard box and was beaten easily.

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2009, 02:47:47 pm »
you should have been in the kop mate,  memorable to this day, it never ceases to amaze me how some people think their at the theatre when we score a goal  patient applause ffs,  i know all goals are different  i mean if we score a goal when we are 4-0 up its hardly  as exciting as a last min winner.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Peeker

• Blames Rafa for fucking up Johnson deal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Simply Magnificent
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2009, 02:56:39 pm »
Barnes was simply magnificent.

He scored a goal v Utd at Old Trafford that is fucking brilliant. Bearsldey, McMahon and Whelan are passing it around in our half and you can just see Barnes sprinting at the bottom of the screen and Beardsley picks him out and he goes on to slot it past Leighton.

Best player ive seen play live for Liverpool...closely followed by Beardsley and Gerrard.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2009, 03:47:24 pm »
an of course ronnie gota goal of his own later in the game... :-X

Offline Peeker

• Legacy Fan
  • Simply Magnificent
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2009, 03:54:06 pm »
Yeah that was the game mate!

Dont know what it is about that run but its just awesome..Its like he is not sprinting full pace because he just knows that Beardsley pass will be perfect.. Im sure that one of Utds defenders sticks his hands in the air when Barnes is actually fucking miles onside!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2009, 04:00:10 pm »
was in with the mancs that day as i usually was in them days, i must admit  i shit it when they got back to 2-1 simply because we were on a different planet from them that day, an to only draw would have been impossible to take.

Offline Peeker

• Legacy Fan
  • Simply Magnificent
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2009, 04:02:39 pm »
Agreed mate. Beardsley was fucking superb on the day and still remains one of my favourite players to ever wear the red shirt.

Barnesy was on a different planet at times but Beardsley wasnt far behind in my opinion.

Offline The Finn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2009, 04:07:36 pm »
It was 3-1. I have this and just about every goal from the past few decades but it would be a lot of work to post them all!
The goal against Norwich was from about 16 yards. He took it at head height but fell forwards. The keeper was outside his six yard box and was beaten easily.

Can you post some of the memorable Barnes ones mentioned in this thread? I'd really appreciate it.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2009, 04:16:17 pm »
Still remember reading the news article in the Cork Examiner when we bought him in 87 as they were the days where you get news probably 24 hours after it happened. I am sure it said it was a risky buy at the time as Barnesy was obviously too big for Watford but was he good enough to play for Liverpool....lol....but even then there was question marks about his attitude I think. Obviously a great talent but could he apply it to the big stage? Apply it? Think he did more than nearly any other buy we made in the past 25 years.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline wah00ey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2009, 04:17:30 pm »
Can you post some of the memorable Barnes ones mentioned in this thread? I'd really appreciate it.
Yeah, and Molby's goal against the Mancs too...;-)

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2009, 05:28:05 pm »

I'll see what I can do mate. Watch this space!

Yeah, and Molby's goal against the Mancs too...;-)

If only....! I went regularly in those days but missed this one. I'd like to see it myself!

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2009, 05:45:28 pm »

Would appreciate this too, I had some tapes but I think me mum binned them :(

Offline Livani

• Kemlynite
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2009, 08:30:52 pm »
I've still got a copy of Through The Wind and Rain with a match report from when we won 2-1 at the Theatre of Shite and John Barnes scored both goals.  We conceded a late goal so the closing ten minutes or so were understandably tense; the writer spoke of willing the players to 'remember the golden rule, give it to JB.' He also wrote 'best player in the world, who gives a fuck about the internationals.'
Gerrard is an awesome player but Barnes dominated the league for three years from the wing (altho he played a lot down the middle in 89-90). Still my favourite player. 

Offline wirral_red

• Main Stander
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2009, 09:30:00 pm »
Great player & a real gent......unfortunately on a par with John Helm in terms of commentary & presenting skills, but never mind ;-)

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2009, 09:31:17 pm »
I've still got a copy of Through The Wind and Rain with a match report from when we won 2-1 at the Theatre of Shite and John Barnes scored both goals.  We conceded a late goal so the closing ten minutes or so were understandably tense; the writer spoke of willing the players to 'remember the golden rule, give it to JB.' He also wrote 'best player in the world, who gives a fuck about the internationals.'
Gerrard is an awesome player but Barnes dominated the league for three years from the wing (altho he played a lot down the middle in 89-90). Still my favourite player. 

Was that the game Ronnie Whelan scored an own goal from about 40 yards. Utterly coasting and then got messy for a bit.

Offline murgaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2009, 10:24:20 pm »
The best three players to ever play for our club are Billy Liddell, Kenny Dalglish and John Barnes. Me dad made us change specs in the Kop when Barnes signed for us just so we could see him down left. There are so many memories of the great man shared in this thread so I'll just add a few.
My favourite goal was the the last mnute curler agianst Villa - still my favourite goal of all time. My favourite game ever was when we beat Everton in the cup at Goodison and Barnes crossed for Houghton to score. I was in the Gwlydys with loads of reds when he came out with a self shaved head and tore them apart, faced with a torrent of racist abuse. We knew at half time that Digger would win the game for us. He ripped them apart. Me and me arl fella bounced home and went through Anfield cemetry after the game to tell me grandad the score!
But the real untold story is Italia 90. Barnes had always had stick from the know nothing racist England fans but he was the victim of bad fortune and press stupidity that tournament. He scored the goal of the tournament against Belgium( chest control, swivel, volley from the edge of the box) but it was wrongly disallowed. Platt got the winner and then Gazza became a hero because he cried and bottled out of taking a penalty. Barnes had more guts than any player i've ever seen. If that yard dog at City hadn't of crippled his achilles he'd of been one of the greatest players in football history. He always will be to me.