Author Topic: The Top Six Mini-League Thread... Sponsored by TENA  (Read 344091 times)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: The Top Six Mini-League and the Run In...
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2017, 12:19:34 am »
Mathematically, even first is still possible!

(yes, yes, I know bar a collapse that Chelsea will win the league).

The target has to be to win all the games. We will be favourites for all of them.

If we get close to that we'll get top 4 easily.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2017, 05:57:36 am »
not sure how anyone could be that confident. Our fixture list is terrible

Results this season against the teams on the run-in:

Everton Away: Won 1-0
Bournemouth Away: Lost 3-4
Stoke Home: Won 4-1
West Brom Home: Won 2-1
Crystal Palace Away: Won 4-2
Watford Home: Won 6-1
Southampton Away: Draw 0-0
West Ham Home: Draw 2-2
Middlesborough Away: Won 3-0

Why is that a terrible set of games? Bournemouth was a one in a hundred game and away from home, dropping points at home against West Ham is probably the worst of the rest. 6 wins (scoring 20 goals), 2 draws and a solitary defeat would give us 76 points. I think we'll do better than that.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline carven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2017, 08:56:27 am »
League fixtures left for Manchester United:
Reverse fixtures in ( )

01-Apr   H   West Brom Albion (Won 0-2)
04-Apr   H   Everton (Drew 1-1)
09-Apr   A   Sunderland (Won 3-1)
16-Apr   H   Chelsea (Lost 0-4)
23-Apr   A   Burnley (Drew 0-0)
30-Apr   H   Swansea City (Won 1-3)

06-May   A   Arsenal (Drew 1-1)
13-May   A   Tottenham Hotspur (Won 1-0)
21-May   H   Crystal Palace (Won 1-2)
TBC   A   Manchester City (Lost 1-2)
TBC   A   Southampton (Won 2-0)

Some really tough fixtures there. And you just know the games against Chelsea, Arsenal (maybe?), Spurs and Man City.. Mourinho will be setting his side up NOT to lose instead of having a go at winning.

As long as we match our reverse fixture's results, I'm sure we will finish in the Top 4.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2017, 09:05:52 am »
The only worry about Utd's fixtures is the timing. If Arsenal are cut adrift and Sphrs are home safe, the intensity could drop. Could do with the City game not being put off to the end of the season.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2017, 09:21:44 am »
The only worry about Utd's fixtures is the timing. If Arsenal are cut adrift and Sphrs are home safe, the intensity could drop. Could do with the City game not being put off to the end of the season.
You could be right. However, I think playing Spurs, Arsenal and City away in 3 of the last 4 games is devastating.

There's no easy time to play them teams IMO. Arsenal may not be too far off United come then, they will pick up some form as they can't get worse.

City will go all out to beat them no matter what's happening and Spurs have a brilliant home record.

That's not to say United can't get 3 to 5 points off them 3 fixtures but they have little margin for error against the lesser teams from here on because their record against the top 6 this season is not good.

I think we need to take it one game at a time as everyone else says, impossible to know what's going to happen.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2017, 09:31:01 am »
Reverse fixtures in ( )

Some really tough fixtures there. And you just know the games against Chelsea, Arsenal (maybe?), Spurs and Man City.. Mourinho will be setting his side up NOT to lose instead of having a go at winning.

As long as we match our reverse fixture's results, I'm sure we will finish in the Top 4.

If both ourselves & United match the reverse fixture's, we end up 3 points ahead (with better goal difference as well)

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2017, 09:53:26 am »
Spurs last ever home game at White Hart Lane, think they will be going all out to win that game

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2017, 11:04:21 am »
Results this season against the teams on the run-in:

Everton Away: Won 1-0
Bournemouth Away: Lost 3-4
Stoke Home: Won 4-1
West Brom Home: Won 2-1
Crystal Palace Away: Won 4-2
Watford Home: Won 6-1
Southampton Away: Draw 0-0
West Ham Home: Draw 2-2
Middlesborough Away: Won 3-0

Why is that a terrible set of games? Bournemouth was a one in a hundred game and away from home, dropping points at home against West Ham is probably the worst of the rest. 6 wins (scoring 20 goals), 2 draws and a solitary defeat would give us 76 points. I think we'll do better than that.

The home games are fine but if you were looking at the aways that least suit our style of play then Stoke, WBA, Watford and West Ham would be right up there. Big physical teams who will should offer us little chance to counter press and who will cause us problems from set pieces.

Their fans will be on our backs from the first whistle and we will need to show character and hope for fair officiating. Personally i think it will be really tight at the end of the season and will depend on how well we compete in those four away games.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2017, 11:51:48 am »
The home games are fine but if you were looking at the aways that least suit our style of play then Stoke, WBA, Watford and West Ham would be right up there. Big physical teams who will should offer us little chance to counter press and who will cause us problems from set pieces.

Their fans will be on our backs from the first whistle and we will need to show character and hope for fair officiating. Personally i think it will be really tight at the end of the season and will depend on how well we compete in those four away games.

Agree Al. I don't think it will be a cakewalk and I hope the team take it seriously. I was at Watford away when they beat us 3-0 but we're a better team now. 

It's still a run of fixtures with the highest opposition in 7th place. And when people say we can't beat teams like those it's clearly not the case.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2017, 11:52:38 am »

I agree they aren't the ideal sides to be playing away at, but I really hope they will all be on the beach (after securing PL football next season) and not have anywhere near the motivation or desire we should have in those matches. And we don't need to win all of them- if we could pick up about 5 points from those games I think we would be fine (so long as we win our home matches).

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2017, 12:03:33 pm »
If it's down to us and those two, we're pretty much guaranteed top four.

Not quite a lock as we will need Utd to drop some points. 

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2017, 12:09:53 pm »
I agree they aren't the ideal sides to be playing away at, but I really hope they will all be on the beach (after securing PL football next season) and not have anywhere near the motivation or desire we should have in those matches. And we don't need to win all of them- if we could pick up about 5 points from those games I think we would be fine (so long as we win our home matches).

I doubt it though all four sets of fans hate us and so do most of the managers. The fans will turn it in to a bear pit. It will need strong officiating plus us being right up for the battle.

In the last 5 seasons we have lost 6-1 and 3-1 at Stoke, 3-0 at West Brom, 3-0 at Watford and 2-0 and 3-1 at West Ham.

We have a side with more of an emphasis on ball players than physicality and if we get a weak referee then the above teams will cause us problems. Away from home against physical in the Premier League is always going to be tough especially when your players are as honest (naive) as ours.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Wombat

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2017, 12:14:01 pm »
Is Sadio Mane away in Africa for the next 2 weeks????

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2017, 12:15:50 pm »
Is Sadio Mane away in Africa for the next 2 weeks????

Probably not 2 weeks. They play on Thursday and Sunday, so probably fly back Monday.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2017, 12:32:31 pm »
Probably not 2 weeks. They play on Thursday and Sunday, so probably fly back Monday.

Mané playing a friendly against Nigeria in Barnet, Thursday, then a Friendly against Ivory Coast Monday in Paris

You're bigger worries are Coutinho and Firmino 1.45 am Weds morning in Brazil

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2017, 12:35:20 pm »
Mané playing a friendly against Nigeria in Barnet, Thursday, then a Friendly against Ivory Coast Monday in Paris

Only checked the fixtures, that's great.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rkgriffin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2017, 03:00:58 pm »
if we avoid any injuries during the break and get Hendo and Lovren back fit I think we are good for fourth.  The back to back away games against Stoke and West Brom will decide the run in.  If we can get 12 from the next 5 matches we will have fourth.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2017, 03:03:54 pm »
Reverse fixtures in ( )

The Chelsea game will also be TBC as Chelsea are playing in the FA Cup on that weekend.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2017, 03:07:41 pm »
If they are in the final stages of the Europa League, Mourinho won't give a shit about the PL.

They have five games to win the EL, and the combinations of teams that they can face leading up to the final are far easier than their fixtures in the league, feel like they will throw the league if they get to the EL semis.

Online ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2017, 03:14:57 pm »
If they are in the final stages of the Europa League, Mourinho won't give a shit about the PL.

They have five games to win the EL, and the combinations of teams that they can face leading up to the final are far easier than their fixtures in the league, feel like they will throw the league if they get to the EL semis.

I'm sure the answer is no, but if United went on to finish outside the top 4, but win the EL, does their Champions League place come at the expense of the team who finishes fourth?

I recall when we won the CL in 2005, there was debate as to whether Everton would qualify or not albeit it had no bearing in the end.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2017, 03:23:45 pm »
I'm sure the answer is no, but if United went on to finish outside the top 4, but win the EL, does their Champions League place come at the expense of the team who finishes fourth?

I recall when we won the CL in 2005, there was debate as to whether Everton would qualify or not albeit it had no bearing in the end.
No, 4th place missing out on next year's CL is a scenario that will only happen if Leicester wins the CL this year. United winning the EL and finishing outside the top four will mean England have 5 teams in the CL next year.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2017, 03:24:16 pm »

The only way 4th loses the CL spot is if the CL AND the EL are both won by English teams who do not finish in the top four. So 4th would lose out if:

Man Utd win the EL & finish outside the top four
AND
Leicester win the CL & finish outside the top four

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2017, 03:26:12 pm »
feel like they will throw the league if they get to the EL semis
They will throw the league when it looks too difficult to get top 4, it's the Mourinho way.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2017, 03:26:40 pm »
The only way 4th loses the CL spot is if the CL AND the EL are both won by English teams who do not finish in the top four. So 4th would lose out if:

Man Utd win the EL & finish outside the top four
AND
Leicester win the CL & finish outside the top four
Not true.

4th place team won't play in the CL next year only if Leicester wins the CL this year regardless of whatever United do in the EL.

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2017, 03:28:36 pm »
They will throw the league when it looks too difficult to get top 4, it's the Mourinho way.
He is a front runner. Once he has to chase he is fucked.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2017, 03:30:38 pm »
He is a front runner. Once he has to chase he is fucked.
Let's be honest, if I am in his position, seeing the teams remaining in the EL and then looking at his team's fixtures in the league, I'd take my chances in the EL every day of the week. Their run in, in late April is tough as fuck and harder than any team they will face in the EL.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2017, 03:51:25 pm »
Not true.

4th place team won't play in the CL next year only if Leicester wins the CL this year regardless of whatever United do in the EL.

It is true, what's your source to say it's not?

England are allowed a maximum of 5 CL teams in any given season. 4 automatic positions, plus 1 extra if a non top four team wins one of the Uefa competitions. If Leicester win the CL, and Utd don't win the EL, that's still only 5 teams so top four is unaffected.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2017, 04:14:11 pm »
Just having a look at all the remaining fixtures and The Bitters could have a say in how the top 4 looks as they have to play 4 of the top 6 ....although our game aside, I'm sure most of their fans would happily lose the other contests just to  fuck up our chances of CL
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Jayworden99

• Kemlynite
  • Up The Reds
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2017, 04:17:59 pm »
Just having a look at all the remaining fixtures and The Bitters could have a say in how the top 4 looks as they have to play 4 of the top 6 ....although our game aside, I'm sure most of their fans would happily lose the other contests just to  fuck up our chances of CL

Surely this would result in them not getting top 4 aswell though? In a way we're hoping they can get a result v City aslong as they drop points elsewhere.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2017, 04:23:56 pm »
It's been a real rollercoaster of a season so far. We've been at times an unstoppable force, at others a complete mess, and at times we've had to scrap... hard and have done so successfully. It feels to me like the players have learnt a bit in this period and we'll hopefully see a bit more nous over the coming weeks. Henderson and Lovren will be huge additions.

4th as it stands, 10 winnable games, hopefully with the ability to make meaningful in-game substitutions for the first time in a while... and with our rivals all playing each other. We'd all have taken that gladly at the start of the season. Brilliant opportunity.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2017, 04:41:23 pm »
I doubt it though all four sets of fans hate us and so do most of the managers. The fans will turn it in to a bear pit. It will need strong officiating plus us being right up for the battle.

In the last 5 seasons we have lost 6-1 and 3-1 at Stoke, 3-0 at West Brom, 3-0 at Watford and 2-0 and 3-1 at West Ham.

We have a side with more of an emphasis on ball players than physicality and if we get a weak referee then the above teams will cause us problems. Away from home against physical in the Premier League is always going to be tough especially when your players are as honest (naive) as ours.

Well at some point in time we are going to have to front up to these teams. You are dead right about the physicality being a big factor against us, in every sense. We will have to be totally clued in, just like we were yesterday but in a different way. It's less a carnaval of footballing excellence (yesterday)  and more a series of set piece battles, individual battles and referee badgering. It has to happen sometime because next year it is going to be the same thing allover again. We have to find the concentration, nous, and be able to fight their fire with our own version. Starting with Everton.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2017, 04:44:21 pm »

So they are both in the squad then ? Pity. It will be very interesting to see how PC goes there.
So both will possibly be playing into the early morning on Wednesday ? Not good at all.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2017, 04:47:07 pm »
just think our weak squad might be our downfall
international break, essential we dont pick up injuries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2017, 04:48:24 pm »
It is true, what's your source to say it's not?

England are allowed a maximum of 5 CL teams in any given season. 4 automatic positions, plus 1 extra if a non top four team wins one of the Uefa competitions. If Leicester win the CL, and Utd don't win the EL, that's still only 5 teams so top four is unaffected.
Read the Echo article a couple of weeks ago mate.

A maximum of 5 CL teams will only occur if the Europa League winner doesn't automatically qualify to the CL via it's league position.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2017, 05:07:05 pm »
City vs United scheduled for Thursday 27th April, which means united's run in is:

City (A) 27/4/17
Swansea (H) 30/4/17
EL Semi-Final 1st Leg 4/5/17
Arsenal (A) 7/5/17
EL Semi-Final 2nd Leg 11/5/17
Spurs (A) 14/5/17
Palace (H) 21/5/17
EL Final 24/5/17

They'll also have to squeeze Chelsea (H) in there somewhere as well.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:16:31 pm by campioni »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2017, 05:09:11 pm »
City vs United scheduled for Thursday 27th April, which means united's run in is:

City (A)
Swansea (H)
Arsenal (A)
Spurs (A)
Palace (H)

They'll also have to squeeze Chelsea (H) in there somewhere as well.
Can you please add the EL dates there as well?

Suppose they make it to the SF, how will their schedule look like with dates?

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2017, 05:10:28 pm »
Read the Echo article a couple of weeks ago mate.

A maximum of 5 CL teams will only occur if the Europa League winner doesn't automatically qualify to the CL via it's league position.

Which is what I said

"Man Utd win the EL & finish outside the top four
AND
Leicester win the CL & finish outside the top four"

Two Non-Top Four teams qualifying, means only 3 more spaces. So that's the only way fourth would miss out.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2017, 05:22:25 pm »
I can't remember a season where we amassed so many points against the 'top teams' - full credit to our players and manager in those games. How many times have the likes of Arsenal and Spurs bottled these big games in the last 5 years or so? It's easier to remedy beating smaller teams than bigger ones IMO - put one player of a Suarez standard in your side and you destroy the minnows but you need to play as a tactical and team unit to conquer the big games. We need more players of Mane danger to put smaller sides to the sword.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2017, 05:25:38 pm »
Which is what I said

"Man Utd win the EL & finish outside the top four
AND
Leicester win the CL & finish outside the top four"

Two Non-Top Four teams qualifying, means only 3 more spaces. So that's the only way fourth would miss out.
The 5 team thing if United wins the EL, if they don't win it, there are no 5 places for England in the CL even if Leicester win the CL.

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2017, 05:30:27 pm »
Surely this would result in them not getting top 4 aswell though? In a way we're hoping they can get a result v City aslong as they drop points elsewhere.

Everton, mate. Everton.
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak