0 (0%)
Don Bradman
7 (4.8%)
Michael Schumacher
0 (0%)
Michael Johnson
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Author Topic: Who is the greatest Sportsman of all time?  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Who is the greatest Sportsman of all time?
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2023, 07:28:47 pm »
Isn't cricket popular in only certain countries like UK, New Zealand, India etc? Same with baseball. USA, Canada, Japan and S. Korea comes to my mind.

Hence Jesse Owens. Competed in events that are popular worldwide. Absolutely not infringing or anywhere close, with sport being but part of his extremely full life. Broke multiple world records in a variety of events, even before achieving world fame in the 1936 Olympics.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2023, 07:33:36 pm »
Isn't cricket popular in only certain countries like UK, New Zealand, India etc? Same with baseball. USA, Canada, Japan and S. Korea comes to my mind.

True to an extent I guess in that it’s only about the 10-12 countries that it would be considered popular in but I guess that could be levelled at all sports besides football about how truely worldwide they are.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2023, 07:46:27 pm »
Michael Jordan was a superb basketball player.

Wilt Chamberlain was the greatest ever basketball player.

Jordan never had the rules changed because of what he could do. Chamberlain did.

Jordan never averaged 50 points per game for an entire season.

Jordan never scored 100 points in one game. ( and remember that was with no three point line).

Chamberlain still holds nearly 70 NBA records.

But Chamberlain never sold shoes.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2023, 07:48:45 pm »
Ali tends to win these sorts of polls handsomely over the last 20-30 years whenever they pop up I’m guessing a large part of that is to do with what he did outside of the ring just as much as what he accomplished inside of it that makes him win these sorts of debates by such a landslide.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2023, 07:51:40 pm »

That’s a terrible argument. Everyone else was scrutinised because they have patchy records, or at least a coach, or something that was worth scrutinising. Surely, the argument should be other way round, everyone else was caught doping so if he was dirty he would have been caught too.

Rapid rises in athletics, as with many sports, happen. Breakout years are a thing. Messi, for instance, went from promising youngster to best in the world within a year.[/]
This isn’t true, look at his record, it builds over time https://messi.starplayerstats.com/en/season#

But sprinting isn’t even like football, it’s far more of an anomaly in sprinting ….

He’s pulled the wool over your eyes I’m afraid

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2023, 07:52:45 pm »

Jordan never had the rules changed because of what he could do. Chamberlain did.

Jordan only turned the paint into a wresting match, that's all. Rules weren't changed, no. But the offciating certainly was.

The stuff that Wilt could do, Jordan could do also, right down to playing as a center defensively and playing in the low post.

The thing Jordan could do, Wilt could not. Nor could anyone else.

Peak Jordan would be the best player in the current NBA.

Peak Wilt would not.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2023, 08:00:13 pm »
There's a debate to be had between sports that are only popular in a few countries but very popular in those countries vs those sports that are played everywhere but only by a small percentage of people (thinking athletics/swimming).

Which one carries more weight in terms of the greatest sportsperson?

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2023, 08:00:52 pm »
This isn’t true, look at his record, it builds over time https://messi.starplayerstats.com/en/season#

But sprinting isn’t even like football, it’s far more of an anomaly in sprinting ….

He’s pulled the wool over your eyes I’m afraid

I’d rather believe in the positive side of the story until shown otherwise in these cases. There is a whole industry out there to prove people are cheats. Innocent until proven guilty in my eyes. I’ll be first to condemn him if he is ever found to be a drugs cheat but at the moment he’s a clean athlete and people are adding 2 and 2 and getting 5.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2023, 08:04:13 pm »
There's a debate to be had between sports that are only popular in a few countries but very popular in those countries vs those sports that are played everywhere but only by a small percentage of people (thinking athletics/swimming).

Which one carries more weight in terms of the greatest sportsperson?

Guess it could be either but it’s really the number of people who play, no matter the number of countries. The number of supporters would also count for something, but I’d guess that’s correlated to the number of participants.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2023, 08:07:24 pm »
Muhammed Ali.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2023, 08:09:09 pm »
Guess it could be either but it’s really the number of people who play, no matter the number of countries. The number of supporters would also count for something, but I’d guess that’s correlated to the number of participants.

I guess my point here is that Ali is winning this comfortably, but - and I'm just guessing here - I bet you there are far far less boxers at a reasonably competitive level in the world than there are rugby players or cricketers.

Not trying to downplay Ali, I considered giving him my vote, but while he was at the top of his sport, it's a much smaller field to fight through.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2023, 08:11:31 pm »
Ali's charisma also plays a part in him being so beloved.  You can be elite but if you're elite and a showman and you're charismatic then you've hit the jackpot.  Not to mention he was a good looking bloke too.  :D

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2023, 08:12:33 pm »
I guess my point here is that Ali is winning this comfortably, but - and I'm just guessing here - I bet you there are far far less boxers at a reasonably competitive level in the world than there are rugby players or cricketers.

Not trying to downplay Ali, I considered giving him my vote, but while he was at the top of his sport, it's a much smaller field to fight through.

One of the greatest athletes of all time in terms of being ahead of the field, has only one vote, mine.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2023, 08:17:40 pm »
One of the greatest athletes of all time in terms of being ahead of the field, has only one vote, mine.
I did consider him…..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2023, 08:19:10 pm »
Ali's charisma also plays a part in him being so beloved.  You can be elite but if you're elite and a showman and you're charismatic then you've hit the jackpot.  Not to mention he was a good looking bloke too.  :D

This is why the other threads were changed from greatest to best in their sport. Greatness is something different

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2023, 08:20:19 pm »
I went woth Jordan. I think it has to be someone from a broad international sport, not NFL, Formula 1, baseball, cricket etc. It can not be a tennis player as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are all almost equal and these 3 dominated the sport last 15 years.

Is basketball an international sport? More is than the other American sports I guess.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2023, 08:23:34 pm »
Ali's comeback and win against Foreman ads to his greatness. People genuinely thought he would be seriously hurt in that fight as a young George was bulldozing his way through the greatest era in heavyweight boxing history.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2023, 09:03:41 pm »

Yes some would make the argument he wasn’t the greatest ever boxer, but I guess you could say that about most people on the list in regards to their respective sports.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2023, 09:05:33 pm »
Surprised Jordan can have triple the votes that Pele does on a football forum, there’s a lot to admire about America’s soft power.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2023, 09:15:34 pm »
Surprised Jordan can have triple the votes that Pele does on a football forum, there’s a lot to admire about America’s soft power.

Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2023, 09:21:31 pm »
Went for Jesse Owens. Went to Germany and rammed it right up the racist bastard Nazi arses.

I'd hate to imagine what pressure he was under while out there.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2023, 09:22:54 pm »

Have his records been broken? He might have been ahead of the field during his time but if his records have been broken then he can't win it surely?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2023, 09:28:17 pm »
Michael Jordan

For so many reasons... but The Flu Game is just insane. I've had foos poisoning, couldn't get out of bed for days. Anyone i've asked who has had it just groans instantly before recalling how horrendous it is... Jordan played a game of professional basketball with it and played fucking well.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2023, 10:04:48 pm »
Jordan only turned the paint into a wresting match, that's all. Rules weren't changed, no. But the offciating certainly was.

The stuff that Wilt could do, Jordan could do also, right down to playing as a center defensively and playing in the low post.

The thing Jordan could do, Wilt could not. Nor could anyone else.

Peak Jordan would be the best player in the current NBA.

Peak Wilt would not.

Wrong. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Three seconds in the key rule, brought about because Wilt was too dominant near the basket.

That circle around the free throw line, put there because Wilt used to run up and dunk his free throws. Broke to many back boards, which took time to replace, so they put that arc there and ruled you could only shoot from anywhere inside the circle for free throws.

They don't play defense like they did back in the day. It's all about scoring and attack. Not to mention they rarely enforce the travelling rule which is now two steps which runs to 3 or 4 at times. It was one step back in Wilts day and enforced.

And of course the palming the ball, name me the last time that was called.

Players are given so much more leeway. And that came from Jordans era.

Were Wilt around today he'd make Shaq, or another recent big man, look like childs play. And he'd dominate the game.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2023, 10:21:31 pm »
Voted for Ali as he transcended sport so gets my vote ahead of Pele and Bradman. As a cycling enthusiast I would flag up Eddie Merckx as a contender from that sport, utterly dominant in his time in a way that's never been equalled.

Offline Wolverine

• Main Stander
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2023, 10:42:33 pm »
Tom Brady for me what he did in the NFL is ridiculous to win seven super bowls in a sport where the playoff/knockout stage system is one and done is probably never gonna happen again.

The fact that he was the 199th pick of his draft makes his accomplishments even more greater, his longevity will probably never be matched in sport as well as only at the age of 45 does it look like father time has caught up with him.

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2023, 10:42:36 pm »
Jesse Owens for me.  To break 3 world records and tie a fourth in the space of 45 minutes is unreal.  Then to go and win 4 gold medals at the Berlin games a year later at the height of Nazi germany for me puts him on a different level to anyone else.  The pressure and intimidation he must have been under, under those circumstances makes his achievements in a class of their own. 

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2023, 10:48:57 pm »
Not sure how you can have Lebron James and Michael Jordan on the list together.

Anyway it's so subjective, the greatest sportsman should take his sport to unheard of levels never to be repeated. In that case I put forward Chris Sharma, elevated the sport of climbing into another stratosphere from where it was.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2023, 10:55:24 pm »
Not sure how you can have Lebron James and Michael Jordan on the list together.

Anyway it's so subjective, the greatest sportsman should take his sport to unheard of levels never to be repeated. In that case I put forward Chris Sharma, elevated the sport of climbing into another stratosphere from where it was.

Why not? Some may think one is the greatest, others may think the other is the greatest. Whats the difference between them and the others who play the same sport?

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2023, 11:07:27 pm »
For the life of me I don't know how Mayweather is on this list; especially when Sugar Ray Robinson, the boxing GOAT is not!

I went with Ali but could make a case for Pele, or Ray Robinson if he was on this list!!! Ray lost one of his first 132 pro fights, went 91 fights unbeaten, and was the world middleweight champion five times when it wasn't even his best weight  :D Then he went to challenge Joey Maxim for the light heavyweight title when he was at the tail end of his prime and would have won only for heat exhaustion. Imagine Crawford or Spence fighting Bivol!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:11:47 pm by 1892tillforever »

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2023, 11:19:37 pm »
Jordan for me.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2023, 01:48:43 am »
You look at his youth times compared to his peers… then see the stunning improvement when he turns pro …

Absolutely no doubt at all in my mind

Didn’t Bolt win a lot of golds in junior and youth championships?

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2023, 01:54:00 am »
Pele changed football

Jordan changed basketball

Ali changed the world !

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2023, 01:54:56 am »
Pele changed football

Jordan changed basketball

Ali changed the world !

And Arsenal changed...

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2023, 02:03:11 am »
Still don’t get how Jordan can have 3 times the amount of votes as Pele on a football forum while Lebron James who is pretty much as good as Jordan has 0, can only think of great marketing here. ;D

Online Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2023, 02:45:36 am »
Still don’t get how Jordan can have 3 times the amount of votes as Pele on a football forum while Lebron James who is pretty much as good as Jordan has 0, can only think of great marketing here. ;D

It’s weird cause obviously he’s number 1 or 2 to most people who watch basketball but it’s not like he’s a statistical outlier who was leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else of any era in his sport. Like you say great marketing from having his own shoe company and being the face of Nike and the fact that when he made it to the NBA finals he never lost but discounting all the years he didn’t actually make it that far and got knocked out early.

Plus probably goes to show how many Americans are on here if nothing else  ;D

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2023, 01:34:36 pm »

It’s weird cause obviously he’s number 1 or 2 to most people who watch basketball but it’s not like he’s a statistical outlier who was leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else of any era in his sport. Like you say great marketing from having his own shoe company and being the face of Nike and the fact that when he made it to the NBA finals he never lost but discounting all the years he didn’t actually make it that far and got knocked out early.

Plus probably goes to show how many Americans are on here if nothing else  ;D

Good post completely agree.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2023, 01:57:37 pm »
Muhammad Ali was just a supreme athlete and still the most famous sportsman that's ever lived so this wasn't a hard choice for me.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2023, 03:14:04 pm »
For the life of me I don't know how Mayweather is on this list; especially when Sugar Ray Robinson, the boxing GOAT is not!

I went with Ali but could make a case for Pele, or Ray Robinson if he was on this list!!! Ray lost one of his first 132 pro fights, went 91 fights unbeaten, and was the world middleweight champion five times when it wasn't even his best weight  :D Then he went to challenge Joey Maxim for the light heavyweight title when he was at the tail end of his prime and would have won only for heat exhaustion. Imagine Crawford or Spence fighting Bivol!

My mistake, not too clued up on boxing!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2023, 03:16:42 pm »
Let's keep this going and expand it further :D

If there is anyone missing in the poll, or you don't agree with anyone included in the poll, feel free to cry about it in the thread.

Though if anyone mentions Cristiano Ronaldo, i will report the post to the moderators.

Are we doing sportswomen at some point to complete the set too?