Author Topic: Stevie Gerrard - The Manager Watch  (Read 159986 times)

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
Re: Stevie Gerrard - The Manager Watch
« Reply #1960 on: January 24, 2023, 04:22:10 pm »
Same, although I suppose I get why some fans do care. Although it was a bit mad during his time at Villa and indeed Rangers, how MUCH they cared! Never in a million years would I want either of thoses teams to win a raffle, let alone a footy game.

Well, I have to admit I did want Villa to get at least a draw on the final day last season. Not because of who was their manager, though. ;)

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1961 on: January 24, 2023, 06:24:17 pm »
Never understood this mentality. Are you related to him? Myself, I am completely indifferent to Steven Gerrard's managerial career. Actually that's not quite true, indifferent only if it plays out far far away from Anfield.

Fantastic footballer and sure, he loves LFC but just not enough when it mattered. Notably silent as captain when the club was circling the drain under a pair of slumlords, hours away from bankruptcy. Non-Scousers like Agger, Reina and Torres, spoke their minds but not "our" Stevie G. Acted in his own (and his gobshite mate's) best interests then, colluding with that fucking snake Purslow (who hired him at Villa) and not once since have I heard/read any reflection or regret on his part for his shameful selfish cowardice then.
Wow, what a load of shite that is. Torres spoke his mind? That's lovely. He also fucked us off for a bitter rival in the middle of a season weeks after our biggest legend came home to try and turn things round, fresh off new ownership.

Who knows what Gerrard was thinking during those last few months under H+G? I think it's probably fair to assume that as a 20 something year old footballer who'd dedicated his whole life to dragging us to heights we otherwise weren't capable of felt ill-equipped to do anything other than try to help us on the pitch. Shameful, selfish cowardice. Wow.

I'm guessing this opinion comes straight out of the Benitez-cult. Don't get me wrong, I loved Rafa, but it's mad how his popularity amongst some also somehow means that the likes of Gerrard and Carragher are figures of active dislike. Benitez, born again Scouser, the epitome of what Liverpool FC stand for, who has since loyally and proudly gone on to manage Chelsea and Everton. Stevie could only dream of caring just that much about us.

Gerrard is one of the absolute biggest and most important figures in our entire history. For people of my generation he's number 1. He had his head turned when the biggest prizes were on offer for him from basically every top team in Europe but he stuck around. All while watching people I presume you hold to a higher pedigree like Alonso and Torres jump ship and leave him to carry David Ngog, Christian Poulsen, Paul Konchesky and Jay Spearing on his back. Ngog was a Rafa signing though so I shouldn't criticise him. He's entered management quite plainly with the end goal of wanting to manage Liverpool because Liverpool has always been and always will be his life. I've got no doubt he's still haunted by 13/14 and his drive is to get a chance to put that right.

People are invested in him for that reason. Will he be good enough to manage us one day? God knows. But there's no bigger weirdos in our fanbase than the ones who wouldn't at least hope that he proves himself good enough and gets his chance. There's no bigger fairytale than him coming back and winning us the big pots. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 06:25:49 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1962 on: January 24, 2023, 06:28:39 pm »
Wow, what a load of shite that is. Torres spoke his mind? That's lovely. He also fucked us off for a bitter rival in the middle of a season weeks after our biggest legend came home to try and turn things round, fresh off new ownership.

Who knows what Gerrard was thinking during those last few months under H+G? I think it's probably fair to assume that as a 20 something year old footballer who'd dedicated his whole life to dragging us to heights we otherwise weren't capable of felt ill-equipped to do anything other than try to help us on the pitch. Shameful, selfish cowardice. Wow.

I'm guessing this opinion comes straight out of the Benitez-cult. Don't get me wrong, I loved Rafa, but it's mad how his popularity amongst some also somehow means that the likes of Gerrard and Carragher are figures of active dislike. Benitez, born again Scouser, the epitome of what Liverpool FC stand for, who has since loyally and proudly gone on to manage Chelsea and Everton. Stevie could only dream of caring just that much about us.

Gerrard is one of the absolute biggest and most important figures in our entire history. For people of my generation he's number 1. He had his head turned when the biggest prizes were on offer for him from basically every top team in Europe but he stuck around. All while watching people I presume you hold to a higher pedigree like Alonso and Torres jump ship and leave him to carry David Ngog, Christian Poulsen, Paul Konchesky and Jay Spearing on his back. Ngog was a Rafa signing though so I shouldn't criticise him. He's entered management quite plainly with the end goal of wanting to manage Liverpool because Liverpool has always been and always will be his life. I've got no doubt he's still haunted by 13/14 and his drive is to get a chance to put that right.

People are invested in him for that reason. Will he be good enough to manage us one day? God knows. But there's no bigger weirdos in our fanbase than the ones who wouldn't at least hope that he proves himself good enough and gets his chance. There's no bigger fairytale than him coming back and winning us the big pots.

Good post also from the same lot that knocks scousers like Gerrard while pinning up the likes of Alonso.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1963 on: January 24, 2023, 07:32:44 pm »
Yep, cracking post that. The Gerrard hating lot on here are extremely strange. Will never understand it thankfully.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1964 on: January 24, 2023, 08:34:01 pm »

Completely agree. And also, I'll add how this same lot that hate on Gerrard probably also adore Suarez, notwithstanding him wanting out at every chance he had, aside from Barca, to Madrid (https://www.marca.com/2013/06/11/en/football/real_madrid/1370964998.html), and even fecking Arsenal (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/06/luis-suarez-liverpool-arsenal-transfer).

Gerrard stayed, and he stayed through the very shit years of having many shit players. Others didn't and left as soon as they could.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1965 on: January 24, 2023, 08:44:31 pm »
Yep, cracking post that. The Gerrard hating lot on here are extremely strange. Will never understand it thankfully.

Gerrard hating ? Probably my favourite player of all time - but how he and carragher treated Benitez, the club and the supporters when H&G was around - leaves a big question on their morals and mentality.. Carragher was even worse, but gerrard didnt leave on good terms.. the timeline and the renewal of the contracts; support of hodgson etc.. had enough money but no idea when they left.. the foreigners got the club and more morals thans the local heroes
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1966 on: January 24, 2023, 08:48:52 pm »
Never understood this mentality. Are you related to him? Myself, I am completely indifferent to Steven Gerrard's managerial career. Actually that's not quite true, indifferent only if it plays out far far away from Anfield.

Fantastic footballer and sure, he loves LFC but just not enough when it mattered. Notably silent as captain when the club was circling the drain under a pair of slumlords, hours away from bankruptcy. Non-Scousers like Agger, Reina and Torres, spoke their minds but not "our" Stevie G. Acted in his own (and his gobshite mate's) best interests then, colluding with that fucking snake Purslow (who hired him at Villa) and not once since have I heard/read any reflection or regret on his part for his shameful selfish cowardice then.

Supporting hodgson and just being friendly to their journo mates.. Non-scientific from me as usual, but the "foreigners" are just probably just blown away with the passion, the interest and the love they experience being a part of the club and the city.. the "locals" just have to deal with I guess and just might not have another experiences..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 08:57:49 pm by Johnny Foreigner »
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1967 on: January 24, 2023, 11:12:32 pm »
Supporting hodgson and just being friendly to their journo mates.. Non-scientific from me as usual, but the "foreigners" are just probably just blown away with the passion, the interest and the love they experience being a part of the club and the city.. the "locals" just have to deal with I guess and just might not have another experiences..

You would think if they were so blown away they would spend their best years at Liverpool and not Barcelona Madrid or Chelsea, maybe it’s the weather.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1968 on: January 25, 2023, 10:30:56 am »

" a 20 something year old footballer who'd dedicated his whole life to dragging us to heights we otherwise"

A football team is a team. No one player can drive everything and yeah, Gerrard was good, but we had plenty of talent in that team.

With your post, you're slagging off all the players, LFC and the fans that got behind them.

LFC is a team. Football is a team sport.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:16:34 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1969 on: January 25, 2023, 10:32:18 am »
There'll never not be ridiculous takes on Stevie.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1970 on: January 25, 2023, 06:31:49 pm »
Gerrard hating ? Probably my favourite player of all time - but how he and carragher treated Benitez, the club and the supporters when H&G was around - leaves a big question on their morals and mentality.. Carragher was even worse, but gerrard didnt leave on good terms.. the timeline and the renewal of the contracts; support of hodgson etc.. had enough money but no idea when they left.. the foreigners got the club and more morals thans the local heroes
I strongly disagree that any of the foreign lads "got" the club more than Gerrard and Carragher. At the end of the day most of them left at the first opportunity for more honours/money. It's quite easy to give that impression. Most came from smaller clubs and were grateful to be here, did all the usual PR stuff (greatest fans in the world, I remember watching the 2005 final with my mum and dad and saying one day I will play for Liverpool etc etc).

I'd be interested to know which ones specifically "got it" more? Hyypia is probably the standout. He certainly got it, although we'll never know what he would've said if Madrid or Barca came knocking. I'd also struggle to believe he'd understand it any more than two blokes who spent their entire lives in the city of Liverpool.
" a 20 something year old footballer who'd dedicated his whole life to dragging us to heights we otherwise"

A football team is a team. No one player can drive everything and yeah, Gerrard was good, but we had plenty of talent in that team.

With your post, you're slagging off all the players, LFC and the fans that got behind them.

LFC is a team. Football is a team sport.
Gerrard at Liverpool between 2004-2006 especially is about the clearest example you'll ever see of a team being carried by a talisman. Of course it's a team game and we had a great coach and some other good players but we wouldn't have even got out of the group stages in 2005 without Gerrard. Milan would've stuck about 12 in in that final. That performance and the one a year later in Cardiff were two of the greatest solo performances in the history of the sport and we'd have been fucked without him. The players in that squad have basically said the same thing. Don't see how it's disrespectful to the club to say so.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1971 on: January 26, 2023, 01:51:17 am »
I strongly disagree that any of the foreign lads "got" the club more than Gerrard and Carragher. At the end of the day most of them left at the first opportunity for more honours/money. It's quite easy to give that impression. Most came from smaller clubs and were grateful to be here, did all the usual PR stuff (greatest fans in the world, I remember watching the 2005 final with my mum and dad and saying one day I will play for Liverpool etc etc).

I'd be interested to know which ones specifically "got it" more? Hyypia is probably the standout. He certainly got it, although we'll never know what he would've said if Madrid or Barca came knocking. I'd also struggle to believe he'd understand it any more than two blokes who spent their entire lives in the city of Liverpool. Gerrard at Liverpool between 2004-2006 especially is about the clearest example you'll ever see of a team being carried by a talisman. Of course it's a team game and we had a great coach and some other good players but we wouldn't have even got out of the group stages in 2005 without Gerrard. Milan would've stuck about 12 in in that final. That performance and the one a year later in Cardiff were two of the greatest solo performances in the history of the sport and we'd have been fucked without him. The players in that squad have basically said the same thing. Don't see how it's disrespectful to the club to say so.

Nah not having that at all. We had some great players that put in great performances.

It's a team game. I didn't support Gerrard FC. I supported Liverpool. If you asked him if he carried the team and won everything himself, he'd probably laugh at you..

Even in the final, that double save kept us in it as much as anything else. Some amazing performanecs from the whole team across the park from 3-0 down was amazing. Wasn't just a single player.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1972 on: January 26, 2023, 09:47:18 am »

Nah not having that at all. We had some great players that put in great performances.

It's a team game. I didn't support Gerrard FC. I supported Liverpool. If you asked him if he carried the team and won everything himself, he'd probably laugh at you..

Even in the final, that double save kept us in it as much as anything else. Some amazing performanecs from the whole team across the park from 3-0 down was amazing. Wasn't just a single player.

But there are key players in every team, not all players are equal.  It's a team game, sure, but we wouldn't have won the trophies with did back then if you swapped Gerrard for someone else, and we wouldn't have won the trophies we did recently if you swapped Salah for someone else.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1973 on: January 26, 2023, 10:02:01 am »
But there are key players in every team, not all players are equal.  It's a team game, sure, but we wouldn't have won the trophies with did back then if you swapped Gerrard for someone else, and we wouldn't have won the trophies we did recently if you swapped Salah for someone else.

We might have won more without Stevie and more without Salah, you never know. Might have got Gareth Barry early all those years ago, and maybe we'd have gone back for Brandt and he'd have turned out to be Messi ;)

Laughable to try and diminish Stevie's influence just because 'its a team game'. Andy seems to be taking it very literally about him winning trophies on his own. Istanbul was clearly a combination of things....but him as captain, scoring an absolute worldie of a header, geeing the fans and his teammates up, bursting through to win the equalising penalty, playing all over the park and excelling. I dont really understand why you'd try and play down his performance.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1974 on: January 26, 2023, 01:00:05 pm »
Seems mad that some of our fans are turning on a club legend, for what? Carragher I can understand because he's a bluenose and a Sky sellout but Gerrard hasn't done much wrong apart from what's been mentioned above. Some would probably sooner have a statue for Torres or Alonso than Gerrard.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1975 on: January 26, 2023, 01:23:59 pm »

Sorry still not having it

If Steven Gerrard (Or any other top player) played out of their skin every single game and put in a world class performance then that's not enough to guarantee that you'll sweep all before you.

If we had a keeper that was terrible, or defenders who were rubbish or midfielders that couldn't tackle or put a pass in or forwards that couldn't score and on and on and on and on.

Gerrard was a great player. We had plenty of other great players in the squad when he was there and we had plenty of other players that did brilliantly.

It's a team game.

I'd get the hero-worship if we were talking about Darts or Snooker or Golf because that is one person. But in a team game you live or die by the team and that's who I support. The team.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1976 on: January 26, 2023, 01:32:41 pm »
Quite a few people on here guessing what others were thinking and doing without any facts, I suppose that's inevitable. It's one area where I do have some inside knowledge but this is not the place to air that. Suffice to say there's little bits of truth in quite a few posts but then you would expect that I suppose but I don't see anyone pinning it. The relationship between players, Rafa and others at the club were quite complex and there's and others involved as well, including people who we never talk about on this forum. I sit a little bit on the fence on some of the issues because they involve the personal loyalties of others, none of my business and too cloudy to be objective really.

As for SG, I guess he was hoping that his success in Rangers would follow through with Villa and that his contract lined up with the end of Klopp's so at least he might be in with a shout, especially if Villa had exceeded expectations. That's all shot now and unless he can perform miracles at another club, he's nowhere near a club like ours in terms of stature and requirement.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1977 on: January 26, 2023, 02:12:31 pm »

If Steven Gerrard (Or any other top player) played out of their skin every single game and put in a world class performance then that's not enough to guarantee that you'll sweep all before you.

If we had a keeper that was terrible, or defenders who were rubbish or midfielders that couldn't tackle or put a pass in or forwards that couldn't score and on and on and on and on.

Gerrard was a great player. We had plenty of other great players in the squad when he was there and we had plenty of other players that did brilliantly.

It's a team game.

I'd get the hero-worship if we were talking about Darts or Snooker or Golf because that is one person. But in a team game you live or die by the team and that's who I support. The team.

lol ok

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1978 on: January 26, 2023, 02:36:38 pm »

It's a team game.

I mean for a fair chunk of his time here.....

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1979 on: January 26, 2023, 02:50:02 pm »

It's a team game.

Haha fucking hell.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1980 on: January 26, 2023, 02:51:35 pm »
You forget when we're doing well just how many miserable twats are in our fanbase :D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1981 on: January 26, 2023, 02:54:40 pm »
Hm.

Dalglish is head and shoulders above any other player that has played for Liverpool FC. We've been lucky enough to have some immense talents. But his was the brightest. Astonishing footballer.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1982 on: January 26, 2023, 03:01:54 pm »
You forget when we're doing well just how many miserable twats are in our fanbase :D

A bit of rain always flushes the sewers of rats
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1983 on: January 26, 2023, 03:31:48 pm »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1984 on: January 26, 2023, 04:03:47 pm »
Hm.

Yep and I managed to say that without slagging off any of the team around him

If I said that he'd carried the team or that we wouldn't have won stuff without him then I'd be slagging the team off.

He's my personal favourite player at the club of all time. But I supported the team then and I support the team now. Yes he was amazing, but without his team mates, what could have been achieved.

Obviously no one is getting the point I'm making. I didn't think it was that complicated to be honest. I support LFC. That means the best players and the 'worst' players and everyone at every level inbetween. You can still obviously have your personal favourites, but to suggest a team game could ever be just a single player in a team of eleven sounds bonkers to me.

I must be wrong though. Perhaps a football team is always about just a single player. Who knew?

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1985 on: January 26, 2023, 04:05:22 pm »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1986 on: January 26, 2023, 04:20:57 pm »
Yep and I managed to say that without slagging off any of the team around him

If I said that he'd carried the team or that we wouldn't have won stuff without him then I'd be slagging the team off.

He's my personal favourite player at the club of all time. But I supported the team then and I support the team now. Yes he was amazing, but without his team mates, what could have been achieved.

Obviously no one is getting the point I'm making. I didn't think it was that complicated to be honest. I support LFC. That means the best players and the 'worst' players and everyone at every level inbetween. You can still obviously have your personal favourites, but to suggest a team game could ever be just a single player in a team of eleven sounds bonkers to me.

I must be wrong though. Perhaps a football team is always about just a single player. Who knew?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1987 on: January 26, 2023, 04:23:03 pm »

For the record, if you support a single player and not the team then you are off your head. That honestly sounds crackers.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1988 on: January 26, 2023, 04:23:11 pm »
Not that easy to forget, being as they try their best to remind us with every fucking miserable whingey post
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1989 on: January 26, 2023, 04:27:50 pm »

For the record, if you support a single player and not the team then you are off your head. That honestly sounds crackers.

No one is saying that.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #1990 on: January 26, 2023, 04:37:48 pm »
Neutral opinion. Gerrard carried the team for fifteen years and you would have won fuck all without him.

He has some skills as a manager, right for NuRangers then,  but not for that Villa, and certainly not Liverpool now.

Perhaps he will develop them, probably not - I dont think he is intelligent enough, hes just average.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1991 on: January 26, 2023, 04:42:46 pm »

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1993 on: January 26, 2023, 05:55:22 pm »
Neutral opinion. Gerrard carried the team for fifteen years and you would have won fuck all without him.

He has some skills as a manager, right for NuRangers then,  but not for that Villa, and certainly not Liverpool now.

Perhaps he will develop them, probably not - I dont think he is intelligent enough, hes just average.

:lmao

neutral opinion  ;D Tabloid media and oppo fans opinion more like.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1994 on: January 26, 2023, 05:55:36 pm »

I think 99% of neutrals would think that, to be fair. As well as the Benitez stuff I mentioned before I think the other thing for a lot of people, from a footballing point of view, is that they always got wound up by us being called a one-man team. For a few years everyone said it about us, until Torres came and then it was a two-man team. As a fanbase we'd get defensive because we wanted to believe we were a strong enough team to win major honours without needing to rely on any one player. Hence why people like to go on about 2006 being the Momo Sissoko final rather than the Gerrard one. It probably used to annoy me too but looking back it was what it was and Gerrard was obviously head and shoulders above the majority of his team mates for the majority of the time he was at the club.

Peter Crouch loves to go on about it and how massive Gerrard was for Liverpool. It's obviously slightly tongue in cheek but he always talks about the attitude on those big nights if we were struggling- give the ball to Stevie and hope something happens. And it usually did. Carragher has often said the same thing. I agree with you Andy that we did have some really good players, the whole 2005 team are rightly lauded as legends but part of that whole story was that it was such a mad overachievement for us to be winning the European Cup at that time. We finished 30 odd points behind Chelsea that year and realistically that was the level of the overall squad. Benitez himself obviously deserves massive credit too for his tactics particularly in those away legs in the knockout stages which saw us perform above the sum of our parts.

Obviously nobody here is Gerrard FC, by the way. It's just that he was a hero to so many who recognised how vital he was to us for so long. Especially a younger generation who grew up without the glories of old. His goals saved us time and time again and he never turned his back on the club. Whatever happened behind the scenes with Hicks and Gillett, Rafa, Purslow etc is all rumour and we'll never really know. All you can judge him on is how he performed on the pitch and how he's always carried himself off it. Liverpool is in his blood and he'd always run through brick walls for the club.

I've said it half joking before but it's true that there'd be some absolute top reds more excited about Antonio Nunez or Jan Kromkamp being linked with the job than Steven Gerrard. Alonso goes into management and everyone wets their pants about the prospect of him one day being our coach. Gerrard starts his coaching career with the youth team with guidance from Klopp, goes off and wins the league unbeaten at Rangers and you can't mention hoping that he might make it with us without a load of contrarians piping up.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1995 on: January 26, 2023, 06:07:17 pm »
Obviously nobody here is Gerrard FC, by the way.
Obviously? Hmmm...
I desperately want him succeed whether its here or somewhere else
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1996 on: January 26, 2023, 07:42:19 pm »
Obviously? Hmmm...
won't speak for him (okay I will then) but I doubt very much he would support a Gerrard team over ours. He can be a successful manager for most clubs without it impacting us negatively. I too am desperate for him to succeed but obviously not at our expense.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1997 on: January 27, 2023, 01:25:54 pm »

You setting the moral bar way too high with that one. And also i wouldn't compare one of our greatest legends with the likes of Reina and Torres.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1998 on: March 12, 2023, 06:48:03 pm »
There are talks of him becoming the next Trabzonspor manager if Dogan becomes the next chairman of the club.

https://twitter.com/sightsfootball/status/1634820685620203520