Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 631733 times)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Marvel Musings
« Reply #3320 on: October 17, 2017, 03:22:00 am »
That trailer was poor. It didn't tell me anything about the movie, and what it did tell me, I didn't like. It's a shame, because it's a Ryan Coogler movie and features Michael B Jordan. And I think the world could use a great black superhero movie right now.

Wesley Snipes isn't busy
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3321 on: October 17, 2017, 11:28:01 am »
That trailer was poor. It didn't tell me anything about the movie, and what it did tell me, I didn't like. It's a shame, because it's a Ryan Coogler movie and features Michael B Jordan. And I think the world could use a great black superhero movie right now.

I'm glad it didn't tell me much to be honest, it gave a flavour of the setting and how the film is going to look which is enough for me. Unless the reviews are horrendous I'll definitely be going to watch it, though some of it looks a bit cheesy like the big panther fists one woman was wearing and some of the outfits.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3322 on: October 17, 2017, 11:42:50 am »
Guardians of the Galaxy only 3rd? How dare ya.

Would struggle to make my top 10, didn't enjoy it. In fact, when I watched volume 2 recently I drew a complete blank on the blue guy with the arrow and couldn't remember him from the first film at all.

Anyway for me it's:

1. Spider-Man Homecoming
2. Ant-Man
3. Iron Man
4. Captain America: First Avenger
5. Captain America: Civil War

Then the Avengers films & Winter Soldier in some order, then GoG & Dr Strange, then Thor, Hulk and the Iron Man sequels (Stark works far more effectively as the glue that holds the premise together). By the time you get to those there's no point putting effort into ranking them.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3323 on: October 17, 2017, 11:44:28 am »
Would struggle to make my top 10, didn't enjoy it. In fact, when I watched volume 2 recently I drew a complete blank on the blue guy with the arrow and couldn't remember him from the first film at all.

Anyway for me it's:

1. Spider-Man Homecoming
2. Ant-Man
3. Iron Man
4. Captain America: First Avenger
5. Captain America: Civil War

Then the Avengers films & Winter Soldier in some order, then GoG & Dr Strange, then Thor, Hulk and the Iron Man sequels (Stark works far more effectively as the glue that holds the premise together). By the time you get to those there's no point putting effort into ranking them.

Worst top 5 I’ve ever seen. No offence like.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3324 on: October 17, 2017, 11:54:38 am »

It's pretty shit like.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
2. Guardians of the Galaxy.
3. Avengers: Assemble.
4. Iron Man.
5. Captain America: Civil War.

Age of Ultron, Homecoming, GotG 2,  Doctor Strange and Ant-Man round out the top 10 in no particular order for me. Thor: The Dark World sits right at the bottom with the rest being okay but not really noteworthy.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3325 on: October 17, 2017, 12:03:19 pm »
It's pretty shit like.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
2. Guardians of the Galaxy.
3. Avengers: Assemble.
4. Iron Man.
5. Captain America: Civil War.

Age of Ultron, Homecoming, GotG 2,  Doctor Strange and Ant-Man round out the top 10 in no particular order for me. Thor: The Dark World sits right at the bottom with the rest being okay but not really noteworthy.

That’s exactly mine too. The Winter Soldier is the best Marvel movie IMO. Hoping Ragnarok breaks into the top 5 when it’s released.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3326 on: October 17, 2017, 12:12:32 pm »

No probs, it's just broadly the order in which I enjoyed them and the top 3 are the only ones I've ever watched (or wanted to watch) more than once. Despite liking Marvel and sci-fi in general I just cannot get into the GoG films. Think I paused volume 2 a couple of times to go off and do something else because I wasn't remotely engaged by it.

And whilst I wasn't expecting much from a third Thor, the trailer has made me think it could actually be a bit good.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3327 on: October 17, 2017, 12:28:59 pm »
No probs, it's just broadly the order in which I enjoyed them and the top 3 are the only ones I've ever watched (or wanted to watch) more than once. Despite liking Marvel and sci-fi in general I just cannot get into the GoG films. Think I paused volume 2 a couple of times to go off and do something else because I wasn't remotely engaged by it.

And whilst I wasn't expecting much from a third Thor, the trailer has made me think it could actually be a bit good.

Yeah fair enough mate at least it’s a different order than the usual I see about. I think all of Marvel’s movies are worth a watch and enjoyed the majority.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3328 on: October 17, 2017, 12:42:06 pm »
Black Panther could be good just going by the personnel involved, but the trailer didn't look too great at all. The fact it's being released in February - the year's box office dead zone - doesn't bode well either, it doesn't exactly scream out that Marvel and Disney will go out of their way to promote it.

As for the rankings, while I wouldn't put it on the top level with GOTG, Punisher: War Zone* or Captain America: Civil War, Iron Man 3 is a very well done Shane Black template superimposed on to a superhero film, with some superb action set pieces and some effective fleshing out of the characters. It's way above borefests like Iron Man 2 or the Hulk films, or a shallow, quickly-made cash in like the first Thor (haven't seen Dark World but Ragnarok looks good). The Raimi films seemed great when they came out, but today they come across as overly long and drawn out without much in the way of action or particularly interesting characters. Spider-Man 2 was comfortably over two hours, but can anyone remember anything about it outside of the Doc Ock experiment scenes?

*Whatever you think about the Punisher or those kinds of action films, it's hard to argue PWZ isn't the most faithful translation of a Marvel character to film.

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #3329 on: October 17, 2017, 06:17:36 pm »
Have the lists stopped yet, or should I stay away a bit longer?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3330 on: October 17, 2017, 07:37:53 pm »
Marvel are really putting it out there with this phase

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xjDjIWPwcPU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xjDjIWPwcPU</a>

Thought that looked good to be honest. How else can they show us Wakanda without the use of CGI?

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3331 on: October 18, 2017, 12:04:28 pm »
Saw Thor: Ragnarok last night.

Good movie, easily the funniest of the Marvel Cineverse.

Two post-credit stings - I'm spoiling nothing.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3332 on: October 18, 2017, 01:26:28 pm »

Great news.

Booked in the gallery for it in the Odeon.  8)

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3333 on: October 18, 2017, 02:32:48 pm »

What?! How?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3334 on: October 19, 2017, 05:07:14 pm »
I cant wait and we have a release date.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OMW_dPtm7Bo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OMW_dPtm7Bo</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3335 on: October 19, 2017, 05:15:30 pm »
I cant wait and we have a release date.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OMW_dPtm7Bo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OMW_dPtm7Bo</a>

Looks good, my only worry is that it’s 13 episodes like the others. I think 10 is the perfect amount like The Defenders was.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3336 on: October 19, 2017, 05:26:51 pm »
Looks good, my only worry is that it’s 13 episodes like the others. I think 10 is the perfect amount like The Defenders was.

I guess the first 3 episodes could be the back story then we have 10 with him as The Punisher.

Isn't the released date the same day Justice League is released in the cinema?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:34:21 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3337 on: October 19, 2017, 06:15:34 pm »
Have the lists stopped yet, or should I stay away a bit longer?

My favourite words in your post:

1. Bit
2. Stopped
3. Should
4. Away
5. Lists

Have, Yet and Stay probably next, then Longer and Or. The, I and A are fairly dull to read and wouldn't bother with them if I reread the post from the beginning.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3338 on: October 19, 2017, 07:14:54 pm »
Ragnarok is 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, with 30 reviews in, so will probably end up in the low nineties. Not too shabby.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3339 on: October 19, 2017, 08:48:36 pm »
Ragnarok is 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, with 30 reviews in, so will probably end up in the low nineties. Not too shabby.

What neither Hemsworth nor his director can overcome, though, is Ragnarok’s meandering and narcoleptic story. It’s the sort of rote, paint-by-numbers slog (occasionally broken up by numbing, pro forma smashy-smashy smackdowns) that makes so many Marvel movies feel like Xeroxes of other Marvel movies. I get the why-mess-with-success impulse. Especially when there’s so much money to be made in movies like this. But even the most diehard comic-book fan has to be getting a bit exhausted by a narrative formula that’s become as thin and watered down as skim milk. The stars and directors are doing just fine; the writers (in this case Eric Pearson, Craig Kyle, and Christopher Yost) need to aim higher.

There’s a lot more to the bloated story, but honestly, none of it is very interesting. In fact, it’s endless. You don’t care what’s happening or what’s going to happen next. We’re just led from place to place for a hash of foggy reasons that no one will ever remember 10 minutes after leaving the theater. But that’s not really the point of this movie. Ragnarok is basically a Joke Delivery System — and on that score, it works. The movie is fun. So to recap: Taika Waititi was mostly the right director for the job. Chris Hemsworth is hilarious. Tessa Thompson is going to be a star. And while Ragnarok’s story is an aimless mess, you won’t stop laughing. In other words, it’s a… B

This is what I was expecting, I'll see it because I really like Hemsworth but more of the same old same old but with MORE QUIPS!!!!
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #3340 on: October 20, 2017, 12:23:08 pm »
My favourite words in your post:

1. Bit
2. Stopped
3. Should
4. Away
5. Lists

Have, Yet and Stay probably next, then Longer and Or. The, I and A are fairly dull to read and wouldn't bother with them if I reread the post from the beginning.

Nice work. This was genuinely far more entertaining than the lists I was talking about. Well done.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3341 on: October 20, 2017, 03:14:10 pm »
Marvel are really putting it out there with this phase

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xjDjIWPwcPU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xjDjIWPwcPU</a>

It does look a bit silly, but Ryan Coogler is a very good director so I wouldnt rule this out as shit straight away.

Even if it is shit, at least there is Chadwick Boseman and Michael B Jordan to look at.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3342 on: October 20, 2017, 04:22:05 pm »
What?! How?

I have a good relationship with Disney, having been a local film critic for a few years. Don't do so much now but still get invited. I'm hoping to bow out at The Last Jedi, after talking to Harrison Ford at the European Press event for Force Awakens, I want to get a question to Mark Hamill.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3343 on: October 24, 2017, 06:22:23 pm »
Really enjoyed Thor:Ragnorok, sounds like damming with faint praise but it's the best of the Thor trilogy.

Don't think this is a spoiler but there's 2 post credit scenes for people to stick around for.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3344 on: October 25, 2017, 09:03:17 am »
RAGNAROK is basically a straight up comedy for the most part, and you can tell from the first minute that its a Taika Waititi film.

A Waititi Thor film. With Jeff Goldblum in gold pyjamas. And Led Zeppelin.

Loved it. Story wise its your average Marvel film (for good and bad), but Taika's humour is just wonderful and I had a ridiculous smile on my face the entire time.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3345 on: October 25, 2017, 11:36:10 am »
RAGNAROK is basically a straight up comedy for the most part, and you can tell from the first minute that its a Taika Waititi film.

Loved it. Story wise its your average Marvel film (for good and bad), but Taika's humour is just wonderful and I had a ridiculous smile on my face the entire time.

*Books tickets*

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3346 on: October 26, 2017, 01:22:23 pm »

Claus is going to really hate this one.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #3347 on: October 26, 2017, 01:26:48 pm »
Thor Ragnarok was quality, very good action, funny a lot of the time, very lighthearted :)

About Thor
Spoiler
I don't remember but does he lose his eye in the comics also? I didn't like that to be honest changing his characters appearance with that
[close]

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3348 on: October 26, 2017, 07:09:11 pm »
Claus is going to really hate this one.

I'm optimistic because 1) I always complain that Marvel movies are cookie cutter pointless nonsense and this is definitely not cookie cutter and 2) I liked Conchords and loved What We Do in the Shadows

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3349 on: October 26, 2017, 11:34:28 pm »
Thor: Ragnarok was enjoyable enough, and I laughed out loud more than once, but the reviewers are right that it felt a lot like what's come before, especially the GOTG and other Thor films. You don't need to stay past the mid-credit scene.

Spoiler
The guest spots with Sam Neill and Liam Hemsworth in the play scene were terrific though.
[close]

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3350 on: October 27, 2017, 12:44:11 pm »
What We Do in the Shadows

Werewolves, not swearwolves.

Should be seeing Ragnarok over the weekend, really looking forward to it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3351 on: October 30, 2017, 12:17:01 pm »
Admittedly was high as a kite when I watched it but Ragnarok was great fun, lightning Thor was cool as fuck.  Tone wasn't too far off Guardians, was funny throughout, and I thought it was right up there with the best Marvel movies.  But they're still not to really deliver an all round amazing movie yet, just consistently very good.  Winter Soldier was the closest they ever got to a perfect movie for me.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3352 on: October 30, 2017, 07:25:36 pm »
Ragnarok was an absolute delight. Up there as one of my fave Marvel movies.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3353 on: November 6, 2017, 06:45:32 pm »
Reports that Disney could be buying 21st Century Fox. Potential huge implications for the Marvel universe, as it would give them access to all the characters owned by Fox - including the X Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3354 on: November 6, 2017, 06:47:55 pm »
Watched Thor over the weekend, was a lot of fun, very decent movie.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3355 on: November 6, 2017, 07:08:03 pm »
Reports that Disney could be buying 21st Century Fox. Potential huge implications for the Marvel universe, as it would give them access to all the characters owned by Fox - including the X Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool.

They're looking to buy everything bar Fox News, Sports and Fox television.

It may even lead to X Men and Fantastic 4 movies that don't suck, but I think we're a long way from that particular point just yet.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #3356 on: November 6, 2017, 07:09:47 pm »

Would be disappointed if it meant no more R rated films in the same vein as Deadpool & Logan however we may finally get the Fantastic Four film that they deserve.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3357 on: November 6, 2017, 08:07:45 pm »
Would be disappointed if it meant no more R rated films in the same vein as Deadpool & Logan however we may finally get the Fantastic Four film that they deserve.

I think Deadpool would be safe, they have adult content with the Netflix shows and it did a ton of money. I'd be more worried about Disney getting involved with the production of the movie in general.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3358 on: November 6, 2017, 10:48:31 pm »
I think Deadpool would be safe, they have adult content with the Netflix shows and it did a ton of money. I'd be more worried about Disney getting involved with the production of the movie in general.
Disney. Oh, God, could you imagine the amount of spin offs and reboots they'd plan? They'd be worse than 21st Century Fox. Zero chance of them releasing anything too adult orientated either, although they could do it under a different banner like they used to with their 'Touchstone' subsidiary.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3359 on: November 6, 2017, 11:17:09 pm »
Disney. Oh, God, could you imagine the amount of spin offs and reboots they'd plan? They'd be worse than 21st Century Fox. Zero chance of them releasing anything too adult orientated either, although they could do it under a different banner like they used to with their 'Touchstone' subsidiary.

I guess it would depend on if Deadpool was going to join the MCU. If not, I think they'd be safe.

Needless to say I'm pretty much in the same boat as you otherwise though. The new Wolverine actor would be interesting though, maybe they could lure Jackman back.

Hey Claus, fuck off.