Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3448722 times)

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #160 on: December 5, 2005, 12:08:13 pm »
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #161 on: December 5, 2005, 11:29:38 pm »

Daniel Auteuil in 'Manon Des Sources'.  Quality that!  ;D

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 6, 2005, 01:59:04 am »
Daniel Auteuil in 'Manon Des Sources'.  Quality that!  ;D

Yes, yes she is.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2005, 10:27:33 pm »
Just watched "I Am Sam" with Sean Penn doing a decent job of the title role. I'd never heard of it, my flatmates picked it pretty much at random - it was really good, fairly predictable but well-done and moving... Not too much of a chick flick for me to enjoy it though.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2005, 02:12:44 pm »
Just watched "Crash".  The Director must be either Buddhist, or Hindu, or has a penchant for these religions as he Karma plays an important part of the movie.  While I enjoyed watching it (ALL the actors were very good and very convincing), I don't think it is a good movie (I watched a lot of Indian movies as a kid and got bored the fuck out of my brains by the time I was 13.  I can't appreciate movies that follow that kind of path anymore)

And by the way, how can Ludacris pull out that performance? I doubt he has had time to complete an acting course before doing this film.  Is it a case of being a natural?

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2005, 09:04:53 pm »
Got out of bed this morning and threw Sky Movies on, to be greeted by this little Gem -     www.imdb.com/title/tt0374621/

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2005, 09:05:13 am »
Watched 'Cabin Fever' the other night and have to say I wasn't that impressed. Had a few decent moments in there but I just thought that generally it didn't really go anywhere. The best thing about it was the fact that thankfully it was at least a fairly short film.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #167 on: December 22, 2005, 09:06:45 am »
Watched 'Cabin Fever' the other night and have to say I wasn't that impressed. Had a few decent moments in there but I just thought that generally it didn't really go anywhere. The best thing about it was the fact that thankfully it was at least a fairly short film.

the "this is for the niggers" joke was class though wasn't it ;D
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #168 on: December 22, 2005, 09:11:49 am »
the "this is for the niggers" joke was class though wasn't it ;D

yeah, one of the best bits in there!  ;D

quite enjoyed the way they just abandoned their friend as well once she caught the disease! every man for himself!  ;D

Offline Ianjaig

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "We had Heighway on the wing..." BEEP BEEP!!
« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2005, 09:20:56 am »
Watched Constantine last night – what a load of crap that was – Keanu Reeves has got to be the worst actor alive on this planet. How the f*ck he has starred in so many movies is beyond me. All he does is act by numbers..
Bill Shankly to a Liverpool fan:
"Where are you from?"
"I'm a Liverpool fan from London."
"Well laddie . . . . What's it like to be in heaven?"

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2005, 09:22:20 am »
Watched Constantine last night – what a load of crap that was – Keanu Reeves has got to be the worst actor alive on this planet. How the f*ck he has starred in so many movies is beyond me. All he does is act by numbers..

I went to see that at the cinema. Had nearly fallen asleep by the end of it!  :(

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2005, 09:42:08 am »
That old classic 'Die Hard' was on last night. Great film. What? Yes i am going to watch the other two today!
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline BigJanMolby

• Kemlynite
  • Whatever and Ever, Amen.
« Reply #172 on: December 23, 2005, 04:50:47 pm »
Films that really did my head in;
Donnie Darko.
Anything by David Lynch (still don't get Mulholland Drive).
Memento (needed several viewings to appreciate it)

Excellent films that I would recommend
Zatoichi (with Takeshi Kitano)
21 Grams
The Twiligh Samurai (starts off very slowly but it is worth the watching)
Afterlife (the japanese one......   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165078/ )
Oldboy (if you can stand the toe-curling scenes)
Nine Queens (was pretty decent)
The Big Lebowski
Sleepless in Seattle (what can I say, I have a thing for Meg Ryan     :-X)
A One and A Two
A man is valued by his work, not his words.

Audere est faceve - To dare is to do.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2005, 05:43:50 pm »
Just watched "Crash".  The Director must be either Buddhist, or Hindu, or has a penchant for these religions as he Karma plays an important part of the movie.  While I enjoyed watching it (ALL the actors were very good and very convincing), I don't think it is a good movie (I watched a lot of Indian movies as a kid and got bored the fuck out of my brains by the time I was 13.  I can't appreciate movies that follow that kind of path anymore)

And by the way, how can Ludacris pull out that performance? I doubt he has had time to complete an acting course before doing this film.  Is it a case of being a natural?

Possibly the most overrated film of the past year, at best its a bad, less well written version of Magnolia, though I think if I'd have gone at it 'clean' without all the hype, it may have been better.

Ludacris was good in it though.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: December 23, 2005, 06:03:26 pm »
Best films of 2005 in my correct opinion, in no particular order.

Capote - Just, completely, oustanding, if Hoffman isnt the worlds greatest actor, my name isnt purple aki.

Brokeback Mountain - Two gay cowboys become the star riders at the rectum rodeo, good stuff.

Good Night, and Good Luck - Newsreader goes after mentalist mccarthy, seems to exist for parallels but not in a 'michael moore' sanctimonious way.

Syriana - Definite oscar material, captures the 'honesty in coprruption' better than anything I've ever seen.

History Of Violence - Slightly overrated but still pretty good.

Me And You And Everyone We Know - Brilliantly original, great dynamics, well written, could have easily been another 'everything is shit' film but ends up pulling off happiness and optimism brilliantly.

Derailed - Not usually a fan of thrillers but this was pretty good, weird seeing Aniston in a role like this but she does it off well.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: December 26, 2005, 01:44:36 pm »
Watched Anchorman : The legend of Ron Burgundy last night and I would highly recommend it, it is truly funny. Will Ferrell is probably the best comedy actor in Hollywood right now overtaking Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey etc. Also features hilarious cameos by Vince Vaughan, Tim Robbins, Jack Black, Ben Stiller and Luke Wilson. Best comedy since Dumb and Dumber in my opinion.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: December 28, 2005, 12:13:09 am »
Capote - Just, completely, oustanding, if Hoffman isnt the worlds greatest actor, my name isnt purple aki.
:o

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #177 on: December 28, 2005, 12:26:07 am »
Just watched paycheck on sky movies, was a bit dissapointed as not as good as broken arrow, and nowhere near as fun as face off, the story was a bit flimsy too but you can't accuse woo of being far-fetched that's like saying everton will let in four goals per game ;) it's what he/they do.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #178 on: December 28, 2005, 02:24:03 pm »
Passed on a trip to see King Kong last night, instead opting to watch The Descent...and glad I did. Proper nasty little horror fillum, very nicely shot and doesn't get sidetracked with too many whats, wheres and whos. I do like a horror that isn't ashamed to simply say, 'there's your scares, enjoy.'
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #179 on: January 1, 2006, 10:34:38 am »
Films that really did my head in;
Donnie Darko.
Anything by David Lynch (still don't get Mulholland Drive).
Memento (needed several viewings to appreciate it)

Excellent films that I would recommend
Zatoichi (with Takeshi Kitano)
21 Grams
The Twiligh Samurai (starts off very slowly but it is worth the watching)
Afterlife (the japanese one......   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165078/ )
Oldboy (if you can stand the toe-curling scenes)
Nine Queens (was pretty decent)
The Big Lebowski
Sleepless in Seattle (what can I say, I have a thing for Meg Ryan     :-X)
A One and A Two

If you have 3 hours spare i can actually sit down and explain the ins and outs of Donnie Darko.

Good choice on the Asian films. Also tale of Two Sisters. H and also heard a film called R-Point is good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #180 on: January 1, 2006, 01:29:45 pm »
If you have 3 hours spare i can actually sit down and explain the ins and outs of Donnie Darko.

3 hours, surely just 3 minutes (if that). thing that annoyed me about that was
Spoiler
donnie chose to go back to when the areoplane engine fell through the house and effectively killed him to save his bird, although now she would never know him and so would live herself but that means paedophile swayze never got caught which is annoying cos i never did like that man  ;D
[close]

lucky i previewed, why isn't the spoiler tags working?

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #181 on: January 1, 2006, 02:00:41 pm »
Spoiler
donnie chose to go back to when the areoplane engine fell through the house and effectively killed him to save his bird, although now she would never know him and so would live herself but that means paedophile swayze never got caught which is annoying cos i never did like that man  ;D
[close]

You mean the first aeroplane to move at the speed of light?  ;)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #182 on: January 1, 2006, 06:14:18 pm »
Watched 2 films on Thursday... The Constant Gardener, which is still showing at FACT, and then came home and watched La Vita e Bella. The former was a good yarn very creatively shot, but very slow paced and occasionally sleep inducing. The latter was heartwarming and breathtaking. If you've never seen it, you probably should.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Squidge

• Is it on Sky?...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 2, 2006, 09:57:47 am »
Gotta recommend a film.

Its called Cube and I can just remember it being very low budget, but it was one of the best films Ive ever watched!

Anyone seen it?

Was on at 2am on Boxing day morning - so recorded it and had a watch.

Thought it was ok - bit disapointed after the great review on here but it was alright.

Was a bit pissed off wi the ending, i hate films that leave you wondering
Monkey monkey do

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: January 2, 2006, 10:46:20 am »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I personally thought the whole point of them all waking up at the end was to show that there was the potential for them to all redeem themselves. I.e. Frank wouldn't get drunk and drive around, eventually hitting Gretchen, that paedo would realise he was in the wrong, etc, etc.
[close]

Offline kemlyn1974

• Anny Roader
  • ALWAYS A RED ALWAYS AN ANTI-RACIST
« Reply #185 on: January 2, 2006, 08:57:39 pm »
went to see "everything illuminated" last night. Thought it was excellent - although suspect I wouldn't have been so pleased if I'd read the book. Anyone else have a view - including vegetarians!

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #186 on: January 8, 2006, 12:52:56 am »
Brokeback Mountain - Two gay cowboys become the star riders at the rectum rodeo, good stuff.

went to see this tonight; very good film. funniest line was the night after they first have sex they both say but i'm not queer! :) quite humourous at times and moving.

not as amazing as the hype suggests but good - 8/10 imho
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: January 8, 2006, 12:58:29 am »
went to see "everything illuminated" last night. Thought it was excellent - although suspect I wouldn't have been so pleased if I'd read the book. Anyone else have a view - including vegetarians!

i read the book - very good!
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #188 on: January 8, 2006, 11:05:26 pm »
Brokeback Mountain - Two gay cowboys become the star riders at the rectum rodeo, good stuff

Gay cowboys?
 So it's a kind of 'Gunfight at the KY Corral' then?  :P

Offline Acaustiq

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: January 8, 2006, 11:16:58 pm »
Gay cowboys?
 So it's a kind of 'Gunfight at the KY Corral' then?  :P

Bloke on another forum I post in went into the cinema and in the ultimate freudian slip asked for 'two for bareback mountain.'

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #190 on: January 9, 2006, 10:23:46 am »
Ang Lee interview here

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 9, 2006, 10:53:43 am »
Is he vely Ang Lee?

*gets coat*

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #192 on: January 9, 2006, 12:43:47 pm »
I watched The Forgotten last night. Bit of an extended X-Files episode, but okay. Ish. Looking forward to Jarhead next week.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #193 on: January 9, 2006, 05:28:40 pm »
Some 'forthcoming attractions':

Ang Lee’s Brokeback Mountain (Jan 6th)has made all the running in the US critics’ end of year polls. The film is being touted as a gay western, but it’s a love story not a horse opera, even if Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger do play modern-day cowboys. It’s been over-praised, but Ledger's performance is a revelation, and the film is beautiful to look at, surprisingly frank, and ultimately very moving.

Breakfast on Pluto : January 13th

Neil Jordan’s Breakfast on Pluto is another gay story – and infinitely more exuberant, with Cillian Murphy (28 Days Later; Batman Begins) vamping it up as an orphaned Irish transvestite searching for his mammy. Again it’s too long (Jordan and cowriter Patrick MacCabe unwisely number the 37 chapters) and sometimes aggravatingly excitable, but there are marvelously anarchic sequences too, especially as the film throws its determinedly upbeat hero(ine) up against The Troubles.

Jarhead: January 13th

Jake Gyllenhaal gets up to more macho maneuvers in Sam Mendes’ frustrating Jarhead a grunt’s eye view of Operation Desert Storm that’s vividly impressionistic but shirks the most pressing questions about Iraq.

A Cock and Bull Story: January 20th

The prolific Michael Winterbottom is back with an ingenious take on Laurence Sterne’s ‘unfilmable’ Tristram Shandy, A Cock and Bull Story. Steve Coogan takes the helm playing both father and son and is backed by a stellar British cast that includes Rob Brydon, Stephen Fry, David Walliams and Kelly MacDonald – and is sure to be one of his most commercial hits to date.

Cache (Hidden): January 27th

Cache is another powerhouse drama from Michael Haneke, the director of The Piano Teacher and Code Unknown, with Daniel Auteuil and Juliette Binoche terrorised by surveillance videos made by persons unknown. A prize-winner at Cannes and the European Film Awards, Cache was probably the strongest movie at Toronto last year and features one of the most shocking scenes you’ll ever see.

Munich- Jan 27th

Oh, and there’s Steven Spielberg’s second movie in six months, Munich, with Eric Bana – a controversial drama focusing on the aftermath of the 1972 Munich Olympics, where 11 Israeli athletes were murdered. The film has divided opinion in the States.

http://www.lovefilm.com/static.php?tpl=newsletters_issue83

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #194 on: January 9, 2006, 05:50:46 pm »
Really want to see The Aristocrats. Heard about this about a month or so ago, out on DVD today looks class.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436078/

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 9, 2006, 06:36:59 pm »
Looking forward to Jarhead next week.

I am to, but it looks like the kind of film I hate (ie not all that related to reality) from the trailers I've seen (and yes, I know the guy who wrote the book was a serving USM in the first Gulf War, but that doesn't really mean the film is a direct copy of his book)
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #196 on: January 9, 2006, 06:40:02 pm »
I am to, but it looks like the kind of film I hate (ie not all that related to reality) from the trailers I've seen (and yes, I know the guy who wrote the book was a serving USM in the first Gulf War, but that doesn't really mean the film is a direct copy of his book)

You seen Buffalo Soldiers?

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 9, 2006, 10:20:24 pm »
You seen Buffalo Soldiers?

Not yet - saw the first twenty seconds on DVD, but a mortar attack interrupted it and I had to work after it so I never go round to seeing it.

Any good?
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #198 on: January 9, 2006, 10:22:50 pm »

The book I thought was excellent, I have thus abstained from seeing the film as I"ve heard a lot of terrible reviews by a lot of people who's opinions I respect.  From what I heard, it is as you put it, not a direct copy of his book, which if so, is quite unfortunate.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #199 on: January 9, 2006, 10:23:56 pm »
Not yet - saw the first twenty seconds on DVD, but a mortar attack interrupted it and I had to work after it so I never go round to seeing it.

Any good?

I thought it was absolutely cracking. Thoroughly recommend it- but if you do see it and find it to be utterly unrealistic bollocks, spare me  ;)
Thenscene with the target practice and the Merc is a classic.