Author Topic: The Night Of - New HBO Miniseries - Use Spoiler Tags  (Read 15669 times)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
The Night Of - New HBO Miniseries - Use Spoiler Tags
« on: July 3, 2016, 11:19:12 am »
anyone watching "the night of"?

been advertised here for a 17th July release but the powers of torrents make it available a couple of weeks earlier,watched half of the 1st episode so cant comment any further

from the makers/writers of The Wire.

The first episode of "The night of" was brilliant I thought. Hard to watch for some reason. Felt so sorry for the main character with what's in store for him.

Is it me or does HBO simply just make the best TV shows?

As for the pilot, it was excellent. Immersed in that guy's character and some really tense moments like at the
Spoiler
police station when he was about to be released and they found the knife. Basically from the moment he was captured, waiting in the taxi and afterwards it was a great viewing.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 6, 2016, 10:45:34 am by Sly Emilio Santorini »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Re: The Night Of - New HBO Miniseries
« Reply #1 on: July 3, 2016, 12:05:45 pm »

Sounds interesting - is this only available in the US or can you get it in the UK?

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #2 on: July 3, 2016, 01:41:11 pm »
Great pilot. Riz Ahmed is a really fine actor.

Going to be a slow burn so i think i'll wait and binge watch it.

ooh, just read that James Gandolfini was originally cast in the Turturro role, then De Niro was cast but dropped out. That would have been amazing.

Based on a uk show, Criminal Justice, don't know how good that is.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2016, 01:50:01 pm by BER »

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3 on: July 3, 2016, 06:54:28 pm »
First Episode was great. Hope it maintains.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #4 on: July 4, 2016, 11:22:13 am »
Great pilot. Riz Ahmed is a really fine actor.

Going to be a slow burn so i think i'll wait and binge watch it.

ooh, just read that James Gandolfini was originally cast in the Turturro role, then De Niro was cast but dropped out. That would have been amazing.

Based on a uk show, Criminal Justice, don't know how good that is.

:( Pretty sure saw his name as an executive producer too.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 4, 2016, 10:42:19 pm »
As for the pilot, it was excellent. Immersed in that guy's character and some really tense moments like at the
Spoiler
police station when he was about to be released and they found the knife. Basically from the moment he was captured, waiting in the taxi and afterwards it was a great viewing.
[close]

Hells Bells, what a fucking brilliant opening episode to a new show. Absolutely gripping, tense stuff

Holy shit, I was even sweating myself just waiting for the inevitable to happen.
Spoiler
The Cops finding the knife or one of the witnesses to identify him.
[close]

The whole episode felt so real, felt like I watching a hidden camera.

Thought they set the whole premise of the show up beautifully in the first half hour or so and introduced the main character perfectly.  I have never felt so sorry or nervous for a TV character for some time.

I have a feeling, and knowing HBO, this is going to tough viewing in parts.  But I also feel it's also going to be a stonker of a show and can't wait for episode 2 on 17th July.

For those who cant be assed to download it or watch it online the first episode airs properly on HBO TV this coming Sunday

I love RAWK for the TV recommendations. If it ain't mentioned in the TV show thread it ain't worth watching. :)

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #6 on: July 4, 2016, 11:34:43 pm »
Just a shame the second episode isn't available until the 17th....
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 5, 2016, 07:58:03 am »
The scenes with Naz at the police precinct were brilliant.

You really did get the uneasy feeling that Naz was on another planet, In totally another world.  A living hell.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #8 on: July 5, 2016, 10:19:25 am »
Hells Bells, what a fucking brilliant opening episode to a new show. Absolutely gripping, tense stuff

Holy shit, I was even sweating myself just waiting for the inevitable to happen.
Spoiler
The Cops finding the knife or one of the witnesses to identify him.
[close]

The whole episode felt so real, felt like I watching a hidden camera.

Thought they set the whole premise of the show up beautifully in the first half hour or so and introduced the main character perfectly.  I have never felt so sorry or nervous for a TV character for some time.

I have a feeling, and knowing HBO, this is going to tough viewing in parts.  But I also feel it's also going to be a stonker of a show and can't wait for episode 2 on 17th July.

For those who cant be assed to download it or watch it online the first episode airs properly on HBO TV this coming Sunday

I love RAWK for the TV recommendations. If it ain't mentioned in the TV show thread it ain't worth watching. :)

I watched it last night for a second time along with someone else who hadn't so any excuse to watch it again. Really good.

Pete, the 'Flagpole Corner' section of RAWK is its best one. 'Media and Arts' its best sub one. :)

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #9 on: July 5, 2016, 04:00:32 pm »
Got around to watching the 1st episode. and its brilliant.
Bodie from the Wire is in there along with {or at least looks like} the brother from BCS

Buck Pete nailed it. " Hells Bells, what a fucking brilliant opening episode to a new show. Absolutely gripping, tense stuff"
JFT 96

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 5, 2016, 04:32:23 pm »
This has flown past my head for some reason.

Definitely going to get it watched when I get in tonight.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #11 on: July 5, 2016, 04:56:13 pm »
This has flown past my head for some reason.

Definitely going to get it watched when I get in tonight.
Well, the series hasn't actually started yet. HBO had early access to the pilot available on their app and on Demand service, and then it got spread. I think the pilot actually airs next Sunday.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 5, 2016, 05:13:21 pm »
Is it the same story as the UK Criminal Justice? Series 1 was the better one with Ben Wishaw. Without real spoliers: takes his dad's taxi out to town, gives someone a lift and everything gets fucked up from there.

Offline Ale-lujah! Ale-lujah!

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: July 5, 2016, 05:15:23 pm »
Sounds interesting - is this only available in the US or can you get it in the UK?

Yeah - only in the US. Unless you download the thing for free.

:)

It's supposed to coming to Sky Atlantic later in the year.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 5, 2016, 05:25:44 pm »
Is it the same story as the UK Criminal Justice? Series 1 was the better one with Ben Wishaw. Without real spoliers: takes his dad's taxi out to town, gives someone a lift and everything gets fucked up from there.

Yeah that's the one Craig, same plot. Thankfully I missed series 1 of CJ, but did see Series 2 which starred Maxine Peake as a victim of domestic abuse turned killer of her clean cut, successful Barrister husband.

Just managed to avoid seeing spoilers for series 1 of Criminal Justice UK last night as I was browsing it. Phew!!! Although judging by comments I did see, series 1 of the UK version was nerve shreddingly brilliant too.

There's something very slick about this US production though. So very believable and no glossed over characters as yet which is great.

Sly Emilio Santorini - Any chance you can change the thread title to include 'please use Spoiler tags'  - Cheers :wave

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Re: The Night Of - New HBO Miniseries - Use Spoiler Tags
« Reply #15 on: July 6, 2016, 10:56:48 am »

Sly Emilio Santorini - Any chance you can change the thread title to include 'please use Spoiler tags'  - Cheers :wave

Done.

This custom name is has outlived the temporary change. Hope I get my old name back soon.  ;D

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 6, 2016, 12:17:57 pm »
Yeah that's the one Craig, same plot. Thankfully I missed series 1 of CJ, but did see Series 2 which starred Maxine Peake as a victim of domestic abuse turned killer of her clean cut, successful Barrister husband.

Just managed to avoid seeing spoilers for series 1 of Criminal Justice UK last night as I was browsing it. Phew!!! Although judging by comments I did see, series 1 of the UK version was nerve shreddingly brilliant too.

Ta, I watched Ep1 last night and it is very similar. I couldn't remember the end of the UK one, but annoyingly remembered it just before I started to watch the US one. I hope they change some aspects of it, for that reason, just for me ;D.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 7, 2016, 03:01:38 am »
When I heard this was based on the BBC show, I went and watched it, foolishly. It was really excellent in places, but some aspects of the ending felt rushed enough to seem out of the blue. It definitely can't have the same exact plot, as the US system doesn't have the same sort of solicitor/barrister dynamic that you guys have...so hopefully I haven't totally spoiled it for myself! I'm gonna wait on the first episode until closer to the second's airing, methinks.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 07:41:48 pm »
Damn that was good!

Spoiler
I felt so tense/nervous for Nas when he was in the back of the cop car & in the police station before the knife was found/he was ID'd

The lead actor was really good & the bits we saw of John Turturro were great, cant wait to see more of him.

I keep thinking back to the 2nd black guy who saw Nas & the girl enter her house, he stared back for a long time I'm sure we'll see more from him
[close]

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 01:52:58 pm »
When is the second episode out?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 01:55:25 pm »
When is the second episode out?

17th I think, pretty sure it'll be weekly after that.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 04:39:35 am »
17th I think, pretty sure it'll be weekly after that.

Damn, the wait is agonizing. It fucking be a weekly release going forward!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 09:39:20 am »
Done.

This custom name is has outlived the temporary change. Hope I get my old name back soon.  ;D

oh.. its you Yiannis!! I did wonder :)

cheers mate

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 06:11:50 pm »
Will the next episode be as long as the pilot.?
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 11:30:46 pm »
Really enjoyed that. Gripping from start to finish. Thanks for the heads up Yiannis!
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 12:08:22 pm »
Damn that was a great opening episode. Was very tense when they were drinking and playing the knife game - cringing through most of that part

Wonder what the symbolism of the shots of the deer might turn out to be. Also the girl's cat being left outside, and then the end scene a cat crosses the street.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:11:37 pm by Sir Psycho Sexy »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 12:59:16 pm »
Damn that was a great opening episode. Was very tense when they were drinking and playing the knife game - cringing through most of that part

Wonder what the symbolism of the shots of the deer might turn out to be. Also the girl's cat being left outside, and then the end scene a cat crosses the street.

The writers could have just had Naz go to a party, kop off with a random girl and they leave the party - CUT - Naz wakes up and finds what he finds.  So glad they did it as they did as the whole build up to the events that transpired in the morning were superb. The scenes with Naz and Andrea were totally immersive.

Spoiler
Reading a few reviews and many people seem to be complaining about Naz's stupidity throughout the episode. They say 'How can anyone be THAT stupid'

I say bollocks. Although shown to a clever guy academically, Naz has already been clearly shown to be naive, un-streetwise and perhaps even mollycoddled by his family. He's only ever slept with one girl before and I doubt he, or many other college kids for that matter, have woken up after a drug,sex and drink fuelled evening to find a mutilated girl in bed!!

I personally think they got Naz and his panicked reactions to the whole situation, absolutely spot on.

I'm gonna watch the episode again as there was all sorts going on and loads of people who saw Naz/Andrea.  There was the second black guy who looked back at Naz/Andrea menacingly when they went into her apartment. There was also the funeral director guy who saw them at the gas station.

I don't see Naz making bail and this means he will go to Jail to await trial, this is where I think it's going to a tough watch.  HBO and these writers don't usually pull many punches so Naz's jail time isn't going to be too nice.
[close]

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 01:37:16 pm »
Spoiler
Reading a few reviews and many people seem to be complaining about Naz's stupidity throughout the episode. They say 'How can anyone be THAT stupid'

I say bollocks. Although shown to a clever guy academically, Naz has already been clearly shown to be naive, un-streetwise and perhaps even mollycoddled by his family. He's only ever slept with one girl before and I doubt he, or many other college kids for that matter, have woken up after a drug,sex and drink fuelled evening to find a mutilated girl in bed!!
[close]

Spoiler
Did it say how long he had been asleep for? It still seemed like it was early hours. The guy that saw him going into the house was still up and about too, so it cant have been long. So he is probably still fucked after necking pills and tequila.
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 02:43:54 pm »

Spoiler
Did it say how long he had been asleep for? It still seemed like it was early hours. The guy that saw him going into the house was still up and about too, so it cant have been long. So he is probably still fucked after necking pills and tequila.
[close]

Spoiler
I think the black guy said he saw them go into the apartment around 11pm. And it was still dark when Naz did a runner.

So yeah, as you say. He couldn't have been asleep long.

Also, Naz woke up downstairs at the kitchen table which I thought was strange since he was previously upstairs screwing the alive and well hot chick!!

[close]

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 03:25:33 pm »
who was she, by the way? she seemed very familiar - maybe just a likeness to selena gomez?

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 03:27:35 pm »
The 17th needs to hurry up, feel like I've been waiting months for my next fix.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 03:36:16 pm »
who was she, by the way? she seemed very familiar - maybe just a likeness to selena gomez?

She's called Sofia Black D'Elia (cool name)

She's just been in a few US Teen Drama's which I haven't seen. Sure loads of the young bucks on here have though. Skins and Gossip girl.

Offline Shabby14

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2016, 04:52:57 pm »

Spoiler
So does everyone think that Naz did it then?

[close]

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2016, 05:03:53 pm »
Spoiler
So does everyone think that Naz did it then?

[close]

Spoiler
If he did, he cleaned himself up pretty well, despite being out of it. Looked like she was attacked in a frenzy and he didn't have a drop of blood on him.
[close]

Offline Shabby14

• Anny Roader
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 07:49:13 pm »
Spoiler
If he did, he cleaned himself up pretty well, despite being out of it. Looked like she was attacked in a frenzy and he didn't have a drop of blood on him.
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah. My gut instinct was that the guy at the petrol station had something to do with it, seemed to follow them?
[close]

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 11:01:32 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyed the pilot, really looking forward to the next episode. HBO are the undisputed kings of tv.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2016, 01:14:40 am »
How does anyone drop a pill and snort a line, then manage to sleep before 4am :D?

Apart from that it was absolutely fantastic.
:D

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2016, 08:56:36 pm »
I thought the first episode was fantastic, and I can't wait to watch the next one tomorrow.

Spoiler
My main gripe was that when they were playing with the knife, it seemed pretty obvious that the knife would end up being significant beyond that moment, but maybe that's because I knew the rough premise of the episode beforehand.
[close]

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2016, 06:53:26 am »
Anybody watched Ep.2 yet? Reviews without spoilers please? :D

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2016, 12:18:00 pm »
Acquired Episode 2 ready for tonight :lickin