Author Topic: Bladerunner 2.  (Read 30802 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Bladerunner 2.
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2017, 07:13:21 am »
I know some are going to find what I'm about to say a tad controversial, but topping the original Blade Runner really wouldn't be that hard to do, given the way it handled a lot of the themes and contexts, which was sketchy at best. It's also far easier to "recapture" the aesthetic today due to all the advancements that have been made in nearly 4 decades. It really was style over substance, with any real substance ultimately resulting from Rutger Hauer's mostly ad-libbed performance and dialogue, especially the final sequence of the film. Blade Runner is one of those films that has gathered an aura and mystique around it the more time has went on, and like any kind of thing that has a cult following to it, it gets romanticized, and in Blade Runner's case, almost defied to the point of absurdity. Just like the original Star Wars, the troublesome production forged what was initially a total disaster into something of an accidental gem due to certain creative adversities and mostly in editing.

It's worth mentioning that I say all of this as a massive fan of the film to begin with, but the level in which people put it on a pedestal says to me more about the state of science fiction in general in Hollywood more than anything else.
Nah you have a point. There's an excellent book you can read on the background to the making of the film (it's a massive surprise it ever finished production to be honest!!!) called 'FUTURE NOIR', which covers much of what you are saying, although it would be untrue to call Hauer's part "mostly ad-libbed" - the "I've seen things..." monologue was written by him prior to shooting that scene and he had approached Ridley Scott with the idea. Anyway, there are many, many other factors that point to my view that it's surprising it ever finished and, in fact, they wrapped up on set with an incomplete film, the scene of the dove released by Hauer into the sky in fact being filmed behind a building somewhere in the UK some time later then stitched in (you can see the sun rise about to ruin the ambience of the set as Deckard watches Batty 'die').

For anyone interested enough, the book is here and well worth a read: https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062699466/future-noir-revised-and-updated-edition

Note that this is the revised and updated edition - I have to by it now ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:26:41 am by 24/7 »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #121 on: October 2, 2017, 11:29:46 am »
It's been quite a while since I've seen the original, and I want to get a refresher before heading to see 2049 next weekend.

Question: Which version should I watch?  The Director's Cut, The Final Cut, the Theatrical release, 2 Blade 2 Runner, I Can't Believe It's Not Blade Runner, or what?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #122 on: October 2, 2017, 11:43:10 am »
It's been quite a while since I've seen the original, and I want to get a refresher before heading to see 2049 next weekend.

Question: Which version should I watch?  The Director's Cut, The Final Cut, the Theatrical release, 2 Blade 2 Runner, I Can't Believe It's Not Blade Runner, or what?

Final Cut in HD, it's as close to definitive as you can get. Plus it's fixed up technically / visually in really good ways (eg, not the George Lucas technique)!

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #123 on: October 2, 2017, 12:04:44 pm »
Final Cut in HD, it's as close to definitive as you can get. Plus it's fixed up technically / visually in really good ways (eg, not the George Lucas technique)!

Cheers! Will give it a watch this week. Premieres on the 5th here in IMAX, will probably go on the 6th.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: October 2, 2017, 12:29:37 pm »
Enjoy. If possible watch it in a pitch black room with some whiskey  ;D

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: October 4, 2017, 05:33:25 pm »
I'm seeing this tomorrow at midday  :) :) :) :) :) :)

DON'T WATCH THE LATEST TRAILER IT'S MEANT TO BE SPOILERY

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: October 4, 2017, 06:32:38 pm »
I'm seeing this tomorrow at midday  :) :) :) :) :) :)

DON'T WATCH THE LATEST TRAILER IT'S MEANT TO BE SPOILERY
Watch no trailers, read no reviews. Enjoy the film with only the memory of the original taken into the theatre with you........am watching it this weekend. Can't wait ;D

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: October 5, 2017, 08:30:54 am »
Ticket booked for this afternoon, I've watched the short films that have set some backstory but I've avoided the last trailer and haven't read any reviews so I've no real idea of the actual plot. Can't wait!
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: October 5, 2017, 10:16:05 am »
Two hours to go for me! Just need to get my Pris costume ready  :-X ;D

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #129 on: October 5, 2017, 12:07:19 pm »
I've been living in Tbilisi for the past 3 months and you can imagine my dismay when I checked online and it will be only shown in cinemas for now with Russian Audio.

I have to wait till the 20th for an English version and no Imax, despite there being an Imax cinema.

I'll have to stay away from this thread and anything remotely spoilery. :(
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #130 on: October 5, 2017, 01:16:10 pm »
I guess I'm the first to see it here.

There are so many great things about it, and maybe three or four things that prevent it from being a perfect movie. Two of them are major plot/character points though.

But I enjoyed it a lot, on the whole.

Denis Villeneuve was the best director in the world for this movie, by a country mile.

I will almost certainly see it again, and I hope next time I'll enjoy it even more.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: October 5, 2017, 03:02:36 pm »
Won't spoil any of it. A lot of what they pulled off is wow! I am so thankful it's not a cheap update, a franchise pic.

It's absolutely gorgeous and the city and other environments especially work and have character, the plot has depth, the key characters are rounded out, I like the layers, I like it HAS layers. Bit early to think about themes, it's in the spirit of the original for sure, but it's something I'll rewatch and reabsorb happily

Go see.

And you'll be wanting this...! http://m.imdb.com/name/nm1869101/?ref_=m_tt_cl_i6
« Last Edit: October 5, 2017, 03:13:47 pm by ToneLa »

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: October 5, 2017, 10:53:50 pm »
Loved it. Was massively against it when it was first announced but they've some how made it work.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: October 6, 2017, 12:31:34 am »
Wow.

Great film.

So many themes.

Have to see it again.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #134 on: October 6, 2017, 06:51:24 am »
Tell you what I will say though..

Jared Leto is like the honeydew of actors. The worst thing in everything he's in.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #135 on: October 6, 2017, 12:52:21 pm »
The musical score by Jóhann Jóhannsson brings all of the impact he had with Sicario.

Stunning movie.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #136 on: October 6, 2017, 02:58:27 pm »
Saw the original for the first time last night.

Awful movie.

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: October 6, 2017, 04:04:42 pm »
The musical score by Jóhann Jóhannsson brings all of the impact he had with Sicario.

Stunning movie.

Isn't the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 6, 2017, 04:53:54 pm »
Saw the original for the first time last night.

Awful movie.

Would you like to explain why you've framed that objectively and neglected to explain what you, as an individual, found so abhorrent you found the film "awful", which implies failure on basically every level?

Serious question. I don't know how anyone could find it awful. I mean "The Room" is awful. I can isolate parts I find awful (the voice over in the theatrical for one).

I'm just wondering if you wandered into this thread thinking your cheeky non-conformist opinion was going to change any minds and critical opinion  :)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: October 6, 2017, 05:19:33 pm »
Yeah, even if you found the story, action, or whatnot 'boring', Blade Runner has so many other redeeming qualities as a film that at least makes it worthwhile watching; not least the visual style of it, the world, atmosphere, and of course, its soundtrack, all of which is primarily the reason why it's so influential. 'Awful' is Transformers, Fast and the Furious or an Adam Sandler film. Any Adam Sandler film; but sure, he's one of the most bankable actors in Hollywood, so that says it all.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: October 6, 2017, 06:41:21 pm »

Yeah with Benjamin Wallfisch...?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: October 6, 2017, 10:38:28 pm »

Wow. My Bad, didn't know he backed out of the movie. Still a stunning soundtrack with much respect to the original  by Vangelis.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #142 on: October 6, 2017, 11:40:29 pm »
Just got back from this, loved it.  Can't wait to get the 4k bluray as the shitty screen in my local cinema didn't do the visual aspects any justice at all.  Other half fell asleep 2-3 times and then complained she didn't get it when we were leaving, women eh!!!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 6, 2017, 11:48:28 pm »
Just got back from this, loved it.  Can't wait to get the 4k bluray as the shitty screen in my local cinema didn't do the visual aspects any justice at all.  Other half fell asleep 2-3 times and then complained she didn't get it when we were leaving, women eh!!!
You could always implant a false memory in her.....something about a spider with orange body, green legs........

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 6, 2017, 11:51:27 pm »

Haha, oh man, falling asleep during this? I've never had sleep good enough to be worth missing a great Blade Runner film!

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #145 on: October 7, 2017, 01:34:24 am »
Was watching the original tonight. The actor playing JF Sebastian was killing me - who's that guy, the voice is so familiar? Looked it up on IMDB. It's EB Farnum, the fucking cocksucker.

Anyway, going to 2049 tomorrow night. Avoiding all reviews and stuff.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 7, 2017, 01:49:19 am »
He looks older there. Accelerated decrepitude maybe?

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 7, 2017, 12:09:07 pm »
Just watched it and all I can say is WOW.

A worthy sequel with maybe one or two weakish elements. Still about as good a sci-fi that I've seen in years.

One thing I would advise to those going to watch it is to watch the original (obviously) and the promotional shorts. The shorts especially help colour in the universe.

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #148 on: October 7, 2017, 01:55:51 pm »
You could always implant a false memory in her.....something about a spider with orange body, green legs........

Not a bad shout.  She hates spiders.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #149 on: October 7, 2017, 03:13:09 pm »
Enjoyed immensely.

A worthy successor to the original.

Can't wait for the general release - could only watch in 3D (which I really don't enjoy)

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #150 on: October 7, 2017, 07:15:36 pm »
I'm just wondering if you wandered into this thread thinking your cheeky non-conformist opinion was going to change any minds and critical opinion  :)

Nope. It bored the hell out of me. Not my kind of movie.  :)
« Last Edit: October 7, 2017, 07:17:12 pm by greyfade »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 7, 2017, 10:39:12 pm »
Well that was very good. Glad Ridley couldn't contaminate it with his usual hack touch

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: October 7, 2017, 11:16:18 pm »
Wow. They nailed it. The scenery, the effects, the caharacters. All the plot twists made sense. The casting was phenomenal as well, 10/10 from me
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Derzyjudek

• Airliner recliner decliner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 8, 2017, 12:40:44 am »
Stunningly beautiful film , lived up to the original, still processing what it all actually means.
Quote from: grifter

I'd rather take a belt sander to me cock and crush me own bollocks with a nut cracker than go within 100yds of her stinky flabby twat.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #154 on: October 8, 2017, 02:07:03 am »
Tell you what I will say though..

Jared Leto is like the honeydew of actors. The worst thing in everything he's in.

In Dallas Buyers Club he's only outdone by Matthew McConaughey, and they both get an Oscar for their troubles. He's great in Requiem for a Dream too.

Felt his character was pretty decent in this, wanted to see more but it felt a little unresolved for me. Hope they're not planning to turn this into a series.

:D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #155 on: October 8, 2017, 07:22:03 am »
Saw it yesterday in IMAX 3D with the missus.

Loved it. Very happy with the new direction the film took. It was like three films in one. Strong characters. Good ideas. Amazing visuals. Great soundtrack.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #156 on: October 8, 2017, 07:24:40 am »
Well that was very good. Glad Ridley couldn't contaminate it with his usual hack touch

::)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #157 on: October 8, 2017, 01:04:57 pm »
Just a great film. It builds on - and enhances - the original, creates new and interesting characters, has stunning visuals as you'd expect from a Villeneuve/Deakins collaboration, and the music is respectful of the Vangelis score.

But really, the script is the star here - a noir-ish story that is marvellously simple, yet allows all the mysteries of the original (what does it mean to be really human) to unfold slowly and patiently.

Villeneuve is the best director working today, and by a wide margin.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #158 on: October 8, 2017, 04:30:18 pm »
Not sure if my theatre but it was a bit loud at times, or am I getting old?  ;D

Loved it though, every frame was amazing

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: October 8, 2017, 06:30:23 pm »
Just a great film. It builds on - and enhances - the original, creates new and interesting characters, has stunning visuals as you'd expect from a Villeneuve/Deakins collaboration, and the music is respectful of the Vangelis score.

But really, the script is the star here - a noir-ish story that is marvellously simple, yet allows all the mysteries of the original (what does it mean to be really human) to unfold slowly and patiently.

Villeneuve is the best director working today, and by a wide margin.

Spot on in every respect. Good point on the script, not seen that really mentioned yet.

Thought the same about Villeneuve in the run up to this film, but this absolutely confirms it for me.