Author Topic: Gerrard back as Academy Coach  (Read 22743 times)

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Gerrard back as Academy Coach
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2017, 10:29:06 am »
That's happened quick, see how he goes on next season.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2017, 10:33:57 am »
Who is the current U18 manager?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2017, 12:35:25 pm »
Who is the current U18 manager?

Not sure but if I remember correctly the U23 guy went to Brazil or somewhere and everyone is being bumped up a position.

I want to say Beale but i think he was the ladies manager.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline thechangingman_ynwa

• Kemlynite
« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2017, 12:40:30 pm »
It's Neil Critchley with the u18s, Mike Garrity currently in charge of the u23s after Beale left.

Imagine there's a shuffle coming with the Academy, Critchley going up to u23s with Garrity alongside him maybe?
Who's bigger than Liverpool?

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2017, 12:44:26 pm »
It's Neil Critchley with the u18s, Mike Garrity currently in charge of the u23s after Beale left.

Imagine there's a shuffle coming with the Academy, Critchley going up to u23s with Garrity alongside him maybe?

Stop copying me :D
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2017, 01:03:17 pm »
Great move by all involved. Some proper football people being hired for some time now.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2017, 04:20:05 pm »
Imagine turning up pre-season and seeing fucking Gerrard there

Hope he makes a success of his time here and really does well....if it'd be anything near his playing level that would be amazing. But long way to go
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2017, 10:24:11 am »
http://www.espnfc.com/liverpool/story/3129154/steven-gerrard-should-succeed-me-as-liverpool-coach-jurgen-klopp
Steven Gerrard should succeed me as Liverpool coach - Jurgen Klopp
Jurgen Klopp wants Steven Gerrard to to succeed him as Liverpool manager once the German boss' time is up at Anfield.

Gerrard is set to take charge of the under-18 team in the summer-- his first head coaching experience since retiring from football last year.

And the former Borussia Dortmund manager told The Times he hopes the Liverpool legend will succeed him at the club.

"I told him when I leave, or the club sack me, I don't care of course who'll be my successor, but I'd love that he'd be it," said Klopp, whose current deal will keep him at Merseyside until 2022.

To be honest these kinds of statements make me feel a tad bit uncomfortable. It's one thing to have Gerrard come back in some form and still be part of the club. I'm just not at all comfortable with either Gerrard or Carragher getting into the managerial hot seat, not unless they've gone and managed elsewhere first and have at least shown some managerial capability.

We've already seen what happens when players with a strong hold in the club and the media start putting pressure on the incumbent manager. I just wish Klopp would just swerve questions concerning Gerrard and focus on the new Gerrardless era.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2017, 10:28:05 am »
Would love that, the rage it would cause on here would be worth it alone!

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2017, 10:30:36 am »
I think it's a great situation and would ultimately like to see Gerard move into the coaching staff along with Klopp for the first team. It makes sense to have a succession plan for a club like ours as it provides a continuity and when it is someone who understands the club then all the better. I reckon that there would be a situation where Klopp would have hopefully a long term understanding when he would be moving on and he would have his replacement working hand in hand with him. Let's face it too many clubs chop and change their management and if there is a system in place for the organic development of the management structure, similar to the old Boot Room, then I think it can only be a good thing.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2017, 10:37:50 am »
To be honest these kinds of statements make me feel a tad bit uncomfortable. It's one thing to have Gerrard come back in some form and still be part of the club. I'm just not at all comfortable with either Gerrard or Carragher getting into the managerial hot seat, not unless they've gone and managed elsewhere first and have at least shown some managerial capability.

We've already seen what happens when players with a strong hold in the club and the media start putting pressure on the incumbent manager. I just wish Klopp would just swerve questions concerning Gerrard and focus on the new Gerrardless era.

What statement? 'I wouldn't care, but I'd love it to be Stevie'? It doesn't mean anything.

Do you think there's be less 'scrutiny' if when he's asked about Stevie he says 'no comment, I wont discuss it'? Stevie is an icon, he's our greatest ever player and he's working through the system and his coaching career in the right manner. If the press or anyone else want to create some narrative, that's up to them. The manager and Stevie are both strong enough characters to ignore it completely.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2017, 10:38:30 am »

That doesn't worry me with Klopp at the helm to be honest. No Liverpool manager in my personal time of watching football should have it easier than Klopp will in terms of pressure. The fans and the media are putty in his hands. The only way he'll be gone before 2022 is if he and/or his team seriously under-perform on the pitch (or if he randomly fancies a new challenge elsewhere, which doesn't seem likely going by his track record of staying at clubs for seven years), in which case he couldn't have any real complaints anyway.

That gives Gerrard at least five years to learn his trade. You'd hope that, in the middle or towards the end of that time scale, if he's serious about managing Liverpool in the future, he'll be managing elsewhere; hopefully successfully.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2017, 10:53:47 am »
That doesn't worry me with Klopp at the helm to be honest. No Liverpool manager in my personal time of watching football should have it easier than Klopp will in terms of pressure. The fans and the media are putty in his hands. The only way he'll be gone before 2022 is if he and/or his team seriously under-perform on the pitch (or if he randomly fancies a new challenge elsewhere, which doesn't seem likely going by his track record of staying at clubs for seven years), in which case he couldn't have any real complaints anyway.

That gives Gerrard at least five years to learn his trade. You'd hope that, in the middle or towards the end of that time scale, if he's serious about managing Liverpool in the future, he'll be managing elsewhere; hopefully successfully.

I want to agree with that, but I'm not sure we have that sort of culture anymore. Another two seasons without a trophy and the knives will start sharpening. We've seen this already with Rafa. One season and he was out.
What statement? 'I wouldn't care, but I'd love it to be Stevie'? It doesn't mean anything.

Do you think there's be less 'scrutiny' if when he's asked about Stevie he says 'no comment, I wont discuss it'? Stevie is an icon, he's our greatest ever player and he's working through the system and his coaching career in the right manner. If the press or anyone else want to create some narrative, that's up to them. The manager and Stevie are both strong enough characters to ignore it completely.

Rafa was of a strong character, it's not about ignoring, the media can pick up on a narrative and run with it and it becomes it's own tidal wave. As for Gerrard, I don't want to rehash old discussions, the likes of Gerrard are legends and Carra an important part of our recent history, but they both picked a side when the media narrative was to push Rafa out. At best you can say their loyalties were stronger towards their own opinion of what best served the club rather than their loyalty towards their manager at the time.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2017, 10:57:02 am »
Rafa was of a strong character, it's not about ignoring, the media can pick up on a narrative and run with it and it becomes it's own tidal wave. As for Gerrard, I don't want to rehash old discussions, the likes of Gerrard are legends and Carra an important part of our recent history, but they both picked a side when the media narrative was to push Rafa out. At best you can say their loyalties were stronger towards their own opinion of what best served the club rather than their loyalty towards their manager at the time.

Right, but the whole reason you don't want Gerrard at the club is because you have this narrative that they helped push Rafa out (rightly or wrongly).

Which I tend to agree with a little, they could and maybe should have done more but it was a very difficult situation and lets not pretend that there weren't a lot of fans also pushing for Rafa to leave when they should have been rallying behind him against the owners. As players, the owners were their bosses.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2017, 11:09:46 am »
Right, but the whole reason you don't want Gerrard at the club is because you have this narrative that they helped push Rafa out (rightly or wrongly).

Which I tend to agree with a little, they could and maybe should have done more but it was a very difficult situation and lets not pretend that there weren't a lot of fans also pushing for Rafa to leave when they should have been rallying behind him against the owners. As players, the owners were their bosses.

Are you for real mate.

You have spent the last three months saying that anything positive Klopp says about FSG has to be taken as gospel and now you are saying Carra and Gerrard couldn't say anything about H&G because they were their bosses.

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds mate. ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2017, 11:10:04 am »
I want to agree with that, but I'm not sure we have that sort of culture anymore. Another two seasons without a trophy and the knives will start sharpening. We've seen this already with Rafa. One season and he was out.

Rafa was a more divisive character than Klopp though. Rightly or wrongly (we know it's the latter, but I'm sure it wasn't all completely unjustifiable and xenophobic... ahem...), he wasn't liked by the majority of his managerial peers and the media, which made it far more difficult for him when results went badly. You combine that with an ownership in Hicks & Gillett which never came close to committing to him for the long-term as FSG have done with Klopp, and the inevitable result is immense pressure and instability every time something goes wrong on or off the pitch.

I honestly think people need to get over their Rafa/H&G insecurities now. It was almost a decade ago. The two situations just aren't comparable in my opinion. Klopp will have tough times and face his own kind of pressure during his time here, of that I have no doubt, it's football after all, but I can't see things ever getting as desperate as that. Nor as desperate as "Give it Gerrard 'til the end of the season" on as wide of a scale as you seem to be concerned about.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:11:42 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2017, 11:15:13 am »
Rafa was a more divisive character than Klopp though. Rightly or wrongly (we know it's the latter, but I'm sure it wasn't all completely unjustifiable and xenophobic... ahem...), he wasn't liked by the majority of his managerial peers and the media, which made it far more difficult for him when results went badly. You combine that with an ownership in Hicks & Gillett which never came close to committing to him for the long-term as FSG have done with Klopp, and the inevitable result is immense pressure and instability every time something goes wrong on or off the pitch.

I honestly think people need to get over their Rafa/H&G insecurities now. It was almost a decade ago. The two situations just aren't comparable in my opinion. Klopp will have tough times and face his own kind of pressure during his time here, of that I have no doubt, it's football after all, but I can't see things ever getting as desperate as that. Nor as desperate as "Give it Gerrard 'til the end of the season" on as wide of a scale as you seem to be concerned about.

The media will turn on Klopp in an instant though if they think a foreign manager is blocking the progress of a potential Ingerland saviour. Next time the national side fucks up a tournament it won't be because our players are a bit crap it will be because our young players and young managers aren't being given the right opportunities.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2018, 11:19:44 am »
How's he getting on?

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2018, 04:59:16 pm »
Announces first team players are leaving on national television.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline UNO

• Kopite
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2018, 05:05:29 pm »
I hope he will stop making comments about the club on TV while being employed as a coach.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2018, 05:06:45 pm »
why does he still do TV? Is that usual for coaches to do pundirty in the UK? 

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2018, 05:09:17 pm »
he's stephen fucking gerrard.

he can do what he wants as far as i'm concerned.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2018, 05:10:41 pm »
why does he still do TV? Is that usual for coaches to do pundirty in the UK?

It is when they are one of the best footballers this country has ever produced.

As long as it doesn't interfere with his job, which it doesn't appear to do, then don't see an issue with it personally.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2018, 05:15:08 pm »

It is not like it is something we don't know already. If Can was staying he would of already have signed his deal. He was just stating his own view.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2018, 05:16:53 pm »

He's said it before, it's hardly a surprise and he seems to have been saying it as an opinion rather than actual fact. Plus, this is the thread about him as a coach, there's another thread for Gerrard in general.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2018, 05:23:32 pm »
I hope he will stop making comments about the club on TV while being employed as a coach.

Stop being silly.

Did you really think Can was staying when 4 months is left on his contract? Get over it and move on.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 15, 2018, 05:39:30 pm »
he's stephen fucking gerrard.

he can do what he wants as far as i'm concerned.

You won't be saying that if he curls out a fat one on your lawn ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #187 on: February 15, 2018, 06:09:47 pm »
You won't be saying that if he curls out a fat one on your lawn ;D

That's Wayne Rooney you're thinking of
Better looking than Samie.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2018, 07:14:24 pm »
some weird/bitter people on this site when it comes to Gerrard.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2018, 07:40:49 pm »

all of them?!

this is a crisis...............
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2018, 07:44:15 pm »
Stop being silly.

Did you really think Can was staying when 4 months is left on his contract? Get over it and move on.

Ozil ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"