Author Topic: Holiday 2017  (Read 43109 times)

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Holiday 2017
« Reply #200 on: April 14, 2017, 09:16:42 pm »
Coming down to Scotland for 4 days from 3rd to 7th May with my family (extended family of 10). Will be visiting the UK for the first time. While our UK itinerary seems sorted, with the help of relatives staying in London and Leicester, I need some help with Scotland.

We have planned for 2 days Highlands and 2 days Edinburgh during the 4 days. We land in Edinburgh on 3rd May early morning and have rented out cars from the airport and will be driving around. Shall immediately head towards Inverness. Need suggestions as what could be covered on the way to the Inverness. Shall stay near Inverness 3rd and 4th night. 5th morning we push off for Edinburgh. Do we take a different route back to Edinburgh or the same one? If there is a different route, what could be covered here?

5-6th May reserved for Edinburgh. Other than Edinburgh castle, which are the must-visit places in and around Edinburgh? We leave in the wee hours of 7th. Would really appreciate and suggestions. Thanks!

For driving between Edinbugh and Inverness, you could go via Tomintoul and Braemar in one direction. It will add an extra hour or so onto the journey but will get some stunning views of the Cairngorms. There are a few Speyside whisky distilleries on that route as well. I assume you would go via the A9 in the other direction which is also a great drive (for tourists - not so much for commuters). You can take slight detour at Aviemore and take the funicular railway up Cairngorm itself (or of course if you are up for it you can walk it). Loch an Eilein is a more relaxed walk nearby if you're not up for the mountains (https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/loch-an-eilein.shtml). Loch Morlich nearby has watersports and other outdoor activities if that's your thing.

In Edinburgh, climbing Arthur's seat is a must for the views. The Scottish NAtional Museum is good, and I've not been but loads of people recommend the Dungeons (https://www.thedungeons.com/edinburgh/en/). There are various tours of the old town which are meant to be good as well.  I loved Dynamic Earth as a kid - would probably be good for adults as well (http://www.dynamicearth.co.uk/).  There's loads more to do in Edinburgh but that's just a few things of the top of my head - it really depends what you are interested in.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:35:16 pm by elmo_swatloski »

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2017, 10:31:14 am »
Coming down to Scotland for 4 days from 3rd to 7th May with my family (extended family of 10). Will be visiting the UK for the first time. While our UK itinerary seems sorted, with the help of relatives staying in London and Leicester, I need some help with Scotland.

We have planned for 2 days Highlands and 2 days Edinburgh during the 4 days. We land in Edinburgh on 3rd May early morning and have rented out cars from the airport and will be driving around. Shall immediately head towards Inverness. Need suggestions as what could be covered on the way to the Inverness. Shall stay near Inverness 3rd and 4th night. 5th morning we push off for Edinburgh. Do we take a different route back to Edinburgh or the same one? If there is a different route, what could be covered here?

5-6th May reserved for Edinburgh. Other than Edinburgh castle, which are the must-visit places in and around Edinburgh? We leave in the wee hours of 7th. Would really appreciate and suggestions. Thanks!

If climbing Arthur's Seat seems a little daunting (it is pretty big) then I'd suggest a quick hop up Calton Hill would offer up some equally impressive views. If you stand next to the observatory you can get the classic picture of Edinburgh that you see in all the brochures. Plus the climb is only about 10 minutes to the top. But Arthur's Seat is worth the effort, absolutely stunning at the top.

If you want the real tourist stuff the Royal Mile is for you, but it will be busy on a Friday and Saturday so if that puts you off then there are a load of other places you can go. If you do go to the Mile then Mary King's Close is an interesting diversion that will only take around an hour - a fully preserved old Edinburgh street that is now underground. If you need food while you're in that part of the city I'd recommend Bubba Q - amazing BBQ place with enormous portions.

If you fancy catching a game while you're in town, the newly-crowned Scottish Championship winners Hibernian have their last home game of the season on 6th May. It's usually fairly easy to get tickets and always a good laugh to be had. Plus you get to take a trip to Leith and see another side of the city entirely.

Anyway, loads to do around Auld Reekie, enjoy your visit!

Offline Hash91

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2017, 10:15:48 am »
Thanks so much E and B for your detailed suggestions! Will look into these options and plan out accordingly this week.

So excited to visit Scotland! :)

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2017, 10:40:54 pm »
So I'm supposed to be taking my other half away for a long weekend to Tallinn the first weekend in June for her 30th. But looks like I'll be on crutches during that little break. I'm desperately hoping I'll be OK to go, but I'm still waiting for a date for an op which will have me on crutches for a minimum of 4 weeks, then a single crutch afterwards for 2 weeks. Argh! Op needs to be in the next 3 weeks or the pre-op runs out, so desperate for it to be sooner rather than later.

After that, looks like a big trip to Central America in around November for us. I was bidding on this travel auction site last week and won a 3 night stay at a luxury beach resort in Nicaragua for £80 ;D (face value is around £400) so we're gonna plan a longer trip around that. We'll almost certainly spend a week in Guatemala, 5 days in Nicaragua, and then possibly one or two of El Salvador / Honduras / Costa Rica as well, depending on the flight / cost situation. Quite random as I met .adam at the match the other week and he was raving about Central America. So tips please, mate! :D :wave

Met a Guatemalan LFC fan in a bar in Barcelona on Sunday. He said you'd hate it there...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2017, 11:02:11 pm »
Anyone know anything about flight prices to the US and how they fluctuate? We've been looking in to flying into New York, few days there, off to see friends in upstate NY, over to Toronto to visit family and then back to NYC to fly home. Two weeks ago, found return flights for four of us for £1300 with Virgin. Anyway I'm booked off work and the mrs requested the leave (middle of august) but until today we still hadn't heard if she could have the time (her boss was off and then it was the long Easter weekend.) Today she was told she can have the leave but checked prices tonight and the flights are now £2300. Does anyone know whether this might drop again nearer the time? Norwegian air are the only ones cheaper but I've heard mixed reviews about them.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2017, 11:27:07 am »
The wife has rang me at work in a right flap, the hotel we've booked in Orlando five weeks from yesterday is suddenly getting really really shite reviews and there's charges of $24 per day she neglected to tell me about. Now got the agent we booked with sorting out moving hotels. We've got two alternative choices picked, so should be sorted. Do without this though.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2017, 12:55:14 pm »
Anyone know anything about flight prices to the US and how they fluctuate? We've been looking in to flying into New York, few days there, off to see friends in upstate NY, over to Toronto to visit family and then back to NYC to fly home. Two weeks ago, found return flights for four of us for £1300 with Virgin. Anyway I'm booked off work and the mrs requested the leave (middle of august) but until today we still hadn't heard if she could have the time (her boss was off and then it was the long Easter weekend.) Today she was told she can have the leave but checked prices tonight and the flights are now £2300. Does anyone know whether this might drop again nearer the time? Norwegian air are the only ones cheaper but I've heard mixed reviews about them.

Can only see these going up especially as it's summer holidays , I was quoted £1100 per seat Man  - Tampa in august three years ago , ended up cruising Southampton to new York for seven days on queen Mary , two days one night in new york jet lag free and two internal flights to Tampa return to JFK for the flight home Inc in the cruise and it all cost less per person than the original flight qoute off virgin

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2017, 03:30:12 pm »
The wife has rang me at work in a right flap, the hotel we've booked in Orlando five weeks from yesterday is suddenly getting really really shite reviews and there's charges of $24 per day she neglected to tell me about. Now got the agent we booked with sorting out moving hotels. We've got two alternative choices picked, so should be sorted. Do without this though.

Where did you have booked?

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2017, 03:46:33 pm »

Least you found out now I guess

Hope you get it sorted!

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2017, 06:50:17 pm »
Can only see these going up especially as it's summer holidays , I was quoted £1100 per seat Man  - Tampa in august three years ago , ended up cruising Southampton to new York for seven days on queen Mary , two days one night in new york jet lag free and two internal flights to Tampa return to JFK for the flight home Inc in the cruise and it all cost less per person than the original flight qoute off virgin
Sounds a decent trip that Gaz. Not sure the mrs would go for a cruise but might have a little look. Probably be hugely expensive for four though.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: April 20, 2017, 08:22:14 pm »
Where did you have booked?

CoCo Key Resort on International Drive.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #211 on: April 20, 2017, 08:28:15 pm »
The one with its own waterpark isn't it?

Opened with great fanfare from people round there but then I never heard anything else from people so that fits in with the poor reviews.  Where've you managed to change to?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: April 20, 2017, 09:21:39 pm »
The one with its own waterpark isn't it?

Opened with great fanfare from people round there but then I never heard anything else from people so that fits in with the poor reviews.  Where've you managed to change to?

Yeah thats the one. They want $25 a day for use of it even if you don't use it. Seeing as we got passes to Seaworlds water park when we booked discovery cove and we've got Volcano Bay as that opens the day after we arrive, we wouldn't use it anyway. Recent reviews say it was filthy.

She swapped us to Quality Suites just behind CiCi's.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: April 20, 2017, 09:26:46 pm »
Sounds a decent trip that Gaz. Not sure the mrs would go for a cruise but might have a little look. Probably be hugely expensive for four though.

We went in august and it was just over £700 each Inc return flight to heathrow , we had to get to southampton which was a train cost but the 7 day cruise in itself was a holiday , it was like a 7 day luxury hotel fully inclusive except for alcohol . Plenty to do on there and you lose an hour every day so no jet leg when you get there . And the highlight is the 6-30 am cruise in under the Verazano bridge past the statue of liberty and docking by the Brooklyn bridge .

You do need to dress for dinner but there are other places if you dont want to , kids club there caters for all ages up to 18 and my two lads loved it . Great way to get to the USA .

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #214 on: April 20, 2017, 10:43:31 pm »
We went in august and it was just over £700 each Inc return flight to heathrow , we had to get to southampton which was a train cost but the 7 day cruise in itself was a holiday , it was like a 7 day luxury hotel fully inclusive except for alcohol . Plenty to do on there and you lose an hour every day so no jet leg when you get there . And the highlight is the 6-30 am cruise in under the Verazano bridge past the statue of liberty and docking by the Brooklyn bridge .

You do need to dress for dinner but there are other places if you dont want to , kids club there caters for all ages up to 18 and my two lads loved it . Great way to get to the USA .
Nice one, which company did you go with? Is it Cunard?

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: April 20, 2017, 11:52:52 pm »
Nice one, which company did you go with? Is it Cunard?

Yes cunard 99% of the time you'd think you were on land , on the website they have a cruise deals page for transatlantic , advertising for end of may now for £699 .

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2017, 04:30:00 pm »
3 weeks tmw :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2017, 09:56:25 pm »
3 weeks tmw :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally :hally

You do know the drinking smilie is named after me ;)

Three months till Duesseldorf...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline LFCStephen

• Legacy Fan
  • I just carnt get enough....
« Reply #218 on: April 30, 2017, 04:08:34 pm »
Off to Grosvenor House Dubai next week, last minute booking good deal, very much looking forward to it 👌

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 30, 2017, 04:14:23 pm »
You do know the drinking smilie is named after me ;)

Three months till Duesseldorf...
Ha ha I did always wonder why it was named that, now it all makes perfect sense;D ;D ;D ;D

Less than 2 weeks now and the forecast's looking great, 24-27 degrees all week 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #220 on: April 30, 2017, 09:28:50 pm »
Primavera (Barca) coming up!

Aphex Twin!!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:51:12 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: May 3, 2017, 03:09:39 pm »

Any ideas where this might be? Answers on a postcard please ;) ;D :wave

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: May 3, 2017, 04:16:38 pm »
Anglesey...

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: May 3, 2017, 04:26:33 pm »
It's close but it's not right....gusss again!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: May 3, 2017, 04:58:18 pm »
I'd have said somewhere near Portmadoc or round near Harlech

Offline vladis voice

• Main Stander
« Reply #225 on: May 3, 2017, 07:03:44 pm »
Applecross

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: May 3, 2017, 07:07:45 pm »
I'd have said somewhere near Portmadoc or round near Harlech
We have a winner! The end of black rock sands...but frankly it could be the Caribbean! 8) 8) 8)

Think it's called Samsons Bay :)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #227 on: May 3, 2017, 07:14:06 pm »

Any ideas where this might be? Answers on a postcard please ;) ;D :wave
It's in North Wales...you can see Snowdonia in the background.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: May 3, 2017, 07:17:37 pm »
It's in North Wales...you can see Snowdonia in the background.
Finally using his noggin for something more than just headbutting car bumpers and back windows! ;D ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9OrKLGEOVRA?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9OrKLGEOVRA?fs=1</a>

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #229 on: May 3, 2017, 07:24:08 pm »
Finally using his noggin for something more than just headbutting car bumpers and back windows! ;D ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9OrKLGEOVRA?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9OrKLGEOVRA?fs=1</a>
:lmao  Worra twat!!
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Liver-Land

• Anny Roader
« Reply #230 on: May 4, 2017, 08:54:12 pm »
Off to Sunny Stourbridge, West Midlands for 5 days in September! Can't wait. I hear the town's historic glass industry bears fruit with regards to fascinating structures namely the Red House Cone. I understand Stourbridge glass is recognised as amongst the finest in the world and has been used countless times as gifts for royalty and visiting dignitaries.

Stourbridge seems a difficult town to categorise, it is not a picture postcard tourist destination in the conventional sense but it is right on the edge of glorious countryside. Stourbridge is a "real" town, that has developed naturally over the centuries. While parts of the town are industrial it also has very attractive suburbs, some areas are very affluent, others not. In many ways Stourbridge is true middle England and the people who live here are very loyal to the town. Stourbridge has an extensive "old quarter", with well looked after houses, largely victorian. Other favoured areas of Stourbridge tend to be to the South and West of the town centre, Norton and Oldswinford, towards Hagley and villages such as Churchill, Clent, Kinver and Belbroughton.

Would anyone recommend any other sites around the town?

I am flying from Grand Cayman to Heathrow and then getting the train to Birmingham New Street. I believe there is a connecting line which goes straight to Stourbridge Town.

So excited, only 5 months to go!
« Last Edit: May 4, 2017, 09:09:40 pm by Liver-Land »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: May 5, 2017, 10:29:20 am »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: May 5, 2017, 01:31:54 pm »

I am flying from Grand Cayman to Heathrow and then getting the train to Birmingham New Street. I believe there is a connecting line which goes straight to Stourbridge Town.

So excited, only 5 months to go!

:lmao

Superb

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: May 5, 2017, 01:36:15 pm »
Just noticed his profile says hes located in The British Virgin Islands. Not exactly Grand Cayman but still...

Surely he isn't serious?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: May 5, 2017, 01:38:38 pm »

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #235 on: May 9, 2017, 12:47:41 pm »
Thinking about going to Italy for a few days in July, anyone got any suggestions?

Looking at not too pricey as we are moving flats a month before. Just a good city to walk around and stuff to look at.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: May 9, 2017, 03:39:10 pm »
Thinking about going to Italy for a few days in July, anyone got any suggestions?

Looking at not too pricey as we are moving flats a month before. Just a good city to walk around and stuff to look at.

I'm going to Naples and Sicily in June. Would highly recommend looking into Sicily (Catania or Palermo) then having an explore depending on whether time permits. The more I read about Sicily the more I think you could spend a month there and only just scratch the surface.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: May 9, 2017, 04:45:50 pm »
Been to Hamburg, Salou and Florida already this year and I feel like I need to book another after returning from Florida, exhausted from it.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: May 10, 2017, 10:02:39 am »
Anyone ever hired a car in Italy? Specifically Naples to drive the Amalfi Coast.

If so, could you recommend a specific company?

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #239 on: May 10, 2017, 10:34:21 am »
Any ideas for a winter getaway in October? with a few of the lads, somewhere cheap and cheerful!