Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - WELCOME, 'A PLAYER'!!  (Read 2493028 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - BOTMAN - WHY SO SERIOUS?
« Reply #22720 on: January 25, 2021, 10:51:21 am »
Seriously, why? If he made a mistake here, should we sack him or just have him issue a public apology?

Didn't seem like a big deal to anyone at the time, he couldn't predict how things would go with the pandemic and injuries. It's not really relevant.

To be fair i think most predicted this winter being tough with the pandemic.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22721 on: January 25, 2021, 10:51:39 am »
The David Maddock article was the first to highlight his comments, yes.

The Maddock article was pure shit-stirring. And it seems to have done the trick.

You're speculating as much as I am here re the loan situation. We spoke to Sokratis. Circumstantial evidence is that we've spoken to other players' representatives. So we're exploring options, is about all we can conclude, and the manager is being told 'No'.

I'm hopeful it's not a flat 'No', but more a case of 'The options we've looked at so far don't work for one reason or another but we're still looking and will say Yes if the right deal turns up.' I don't believe Gordon, Edwards and Henry are just sitting on their luxury yachts counting their money and telling Klopp to fuck off. The situation looks bad to us as fans because we're in the dark about what exactly they are doing, who they are talking to, why the options presented so far don't work. All we've got to go on is newspaper tittle-tattle.

Yeah, Sokratis sounds like he could potentially be a good short-term option, but if we've spoken to him and can't come to an agreement that suits all parties, it comes down to whether you trust the club that they have sound reasons for their decisions or if they're just being unnecessarily tight-fisted. Based on their track record, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I can understand why others might feel differently.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22722 on: January 25, 2021, 10:53:38 am »
Has Klopp asked for a short term fix though, Roy?

We can all tell the manager is frustrated, but it doesn't mean he wants someone in on loan. His frustration, I think, is likelier because FSG won't release funds now for a player they've agreed to target in the summer (either because there's a premium now or they feel they need to wait for money to come in first).
If we miss out on the CL the the summer targets might not want to come here anyway.
Which ever way you look at it , if we don’t buy a CB the only explanation is the owners are not prepared to back Klopp. I would be very concerned about him leaving if it carries on.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #22723 on: January 25, 2021, 10:54:51 am »
To be fair i think most predicted this winter being tough with the pandemic.
Fine, but even if we didn't, I don't think not selling Harry Wilson in the summer is something that should be questioned. Even if it was a mistake, it's a blip in the sea of great deals we made for outgoing players like Ibe, Solanke etc.

Don't know what would be the ideal result of asking that question honestly. It's not getting us a new CB, just another person for us to demand his head.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #22724 on: January 25, 2021, 10:56:17 am »
If we miss out on the CL the the summer targets might not want to come here anyway.
Which ever way you look at it , if we don’t buy a CB the only explanation is the owners are not prepared to back Klopp. I would be very concerned about him leaving if it carries on.

That seems a tad dramatic.  ;D

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22725 on: January 25, 2021, 10:56:39 am »
That Palace result put everyone in a false sense of security though.

Not if you actually watched the game. We were pretty poor for the first half an hour - certainly no better than we've been in most of our other recent games. It was just one of those days where the chances go in (well, they went in for us, but not for Palace, who were missing their in-form striker). And then Palace's heads dropped, allowing us to run riot. Results like that are always outliers. Likewise the Villa defeat. Never to be treated as true indicators of form.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22726 on: January 25, 2021, 10:57:29 am »
Fine, but even if we didn't, I don't think not selling Harry Wilson in the summer is something that should be questioned. Even if it was a mistake, it's a blip in the sea of great deals we made for outgoing players like Ibe, Solanke etc.

Don't know what would be the ideal result of asking that question honestly. It's not getting us a new CB, just another person for us to demand his head.

If i were the owners then i would be asking why we have 7 or 8 players on the book not really contributing so whilst Wilson alone isnt an issue, some of the excess in the squad may be.

Offline Big Dog

• Kemlynite
  • The One and Only. Big Dog.
« Reply #22727 on: January 25, 2021, 10:58:58 am »
Morning chaps, got some good news to soften the blow of last night's result

I had a Zoom roast with the family of young Fulham stalwart Harrison Reed yesterday. For those missing those special communal occasions this lockdown I thoroughly recommend it, helps keep the spirits up. Beef wellington and red wine were on the menu, absolutely delicious! BBC Good Food is always an excellent shout for recipes.

Anyway Kloop is honing in an £8m deal by the end of the window to bring an end to this long running transfer saga.

Reed has impressed hugely in his first full Premier League campaign at Fulham, providing energy and guile to a midfield rooted at the wrong end of the table.

Klopp sees him as the perfect foil at the base of the midfield three, allowing Thiago to push further forward. With Fabinho sizzling so much in the back line he doesn't want to disrupt his rhythm and sees this as a wise move before the deadline.

Don't be surprised to see him in the squad for Thursday's game with Spurs.

Big Dog 

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22728 on: January 25, 2021, 10:59:58 am »

Blimey. It's going to be tight... Let's hope there are no delays in the paperwork going through!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #22729 on: January 25, 2021, 11:00:36 am »
If i were the owners then i would be asking why we have 7 or 8 players on the book not really contributing so whilst Wilson alone isnt an issue, some of the excess in the squad may be.

Which players are you thinking of KH? Do you have a list you could post?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22730 on: January 25, 2021, 11:04:01 am »
If the pandemic hadn't struck, we would've probably sold 2 or 3 more players this summer. Sadly that's not the case, and I think we are just not getting decent offers for our players.

Just what we needed, cheers!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:06:21 am by aw1991 »

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22731 on: January 25, 2021, 11:04:04 am »

I had a Zoom roast with the family of young Fulham stalwart Harrison Reed yesterday. For those missing those special communal occasions this lockdown I thoroughly recommend it, helps keep the spirits up. Beef wellington and red wine were on the menu, absolutely delicious! BBC Good Food is always an excellent shout for recipes.

Anyway Kloop is honing in an £8m deal by the end of the window to bring an end to this long running transfer saga.

Reed has impressed hugely in his first full Premier League campaign at Fulham, providing energy and guile to a midfield rooted at the wrong end of the table.

Klopp sees him as the perfect foil at the base of the midfield three, allowing Thiago to push further forward. With Fabinho sizzling so much in the back line he doesn't want to disrupt his rhythm and sees this as a wise move before the deadline.

Big Dog

Lovely stuff.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22732 on: January 25, 2021, 11:04:29 am »

Big Dog
FSG better sanction this
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22733 on: January 25, 2021, 11:18:20 am »
Big Dog's assuaged my worries.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22734 on: January 25, 2021, 11:19:55 am »
:lmao

Can’t beat a bit of Big Dog inside info.

Glad the Beef Wellington was a triumph.

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #22735 on: January 25, 2021, 11:21:31 am »
There is a difference between 1 million and 25 million. Clearly if we are talking to Arsenal about Sokratis we can muster up money to get someone in now.
Sokratis is on a free transfer after Arsenal released him.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22736 on: January 25, 2021, 11:26:21 am »
Big Dog is the best ever. He remains consistent throughout every transfer window.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #22737 on: January 25, 2021, 11:28:56 am »
Agreed, I have been very pro FSG, really like them as owners but this is unforgiveable. Very unlike them to take a short term view and make decisions based on short term financial situation. If we miss out on Top 4 that will do more damage long term.

Likewise, I’ve been borderline ‘top red’ in my defence of FSG but this is the most infuriating episode under their stewardship since they fucked up the VVD summer transfer by popping the cork before dotting their i’s and crossing their t’s. The club took a gamble on only 3 first choice CBs plus Fabinho, not a ridiculous proposal at window’s end until you lose two of them to season enders afterwards you have to address it when the opportunity arises. Sure, it’s a pandemic but the losses are going to be amplified if we miss the top 4 this season.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22738 on: January 25, 2021, 11:34:43 am »
I'm hopeful it's not a flat 'No', but more a case of 'The options we've looked at so far don't work for one reason or another but we're still looking and will say Yes if the right deal turns up.' I don't believe Gordon, Edwards and Henry are just sitting on their luxury yachts counting their money and telling Klopp to fuck off. The situation looks bad to us as fans because we're in the dark about what exactly they are doing, who they are talking to, why the options presented so far don't work. All we've got to go on is newspaper tittle-tattle.

I agree - they're not sitting on their luxury yachts to my knowledge - if they are, that's entirely their province. They do, so we're told, seem to be telling Klopp "No" however. Klopp's spoken as openly as he ever has to date on that subject. I'll take out everything but direct quotes.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-defender-transfer-23370437

“I am not a five-year-old kid any more and if I don’t get what I want I start crying.

“Most of the time in my life I didn’t get what I wanted, so pretty much used to that. We talk about a centre-half, and yes, it would help 100 percent.

“But I cannot spend the money. I don’t make these decisions. There are people who are responsible for the whole thing, and I cannot make their decisions.”

“When I say this, I know of course what we would do in an ideal world, but the world is not ideal,”

“So we have to deal with the situation.

"We have improve with this squad - that’s my job, not sitting here and being disappointed or frustrated with some decisions. I think that would be read as an excuse and we don’t need that.

“It’s not a situation you want, but it’s a situation. And if you aren’t happy with a situation then work. That’s what we do. We believe 100% we can change that with this squad.”

Make of that what you will folks. You can argue whatever you like, but if you're me, it looks like:

- the manager thinks a centre half would help - 100 percent
- the manager has 'talked about' that solution with unnamed people
- a decision has been taken somewhere saying that no money can be spent
- the manager doesn't think that's ideal
- the manager is getting on with it regardless.

This is arguably the best manager in world football. He's assembled a squad that's among the best in world football. We speculate about whether he'll want to further extend his stay with us at Liverpool or head off into the sunset.

So yeah - for me, do things for the manager that he thinks are ideal, especially when he's performed minor miracles to date. And doubly so when the decisions that no money can be spent aren't applied elsewhere, no matter how small the fee might be in comparative terms. We've signed two high profile kids since the window opened as I understand it. If there's a business case for that, I'm at a loss to understand why they can't see the one for the senior squad being reinforced, even in a rudimentary short term way, given the prize money and knock on impacts at stake.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #22739 on: January 25, 2021, 11:40:43 am »
Just realised if we lose to Spurs we’ll be 5th, 2 points behind Spurs in 4th and will have played a game more. Potentially 6th actually if Everton win, 1 behind them and played TWO more than them.

This season is seriously hanging in the balance right now. How on earth are they not signing a CB?

We really need a result against Spurs.

The fact Arsenal/Chelsea are close to us ... this could be a real top 4 scrap ffs. We were comfortably top a month ago for god sake.
Champions

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #22740 on: January 25, 2021, 11:46:10 am »

Or we're in the middle of worst pandemic in our life times that has had a massive financial impact on everyone!!  Plus how do you know we haven't already tried to get one in this window?

Wish we'd gotten Odegaard on loan rather than Arsenal

Thought that myself, with no obligation to buy it could have been a good deal for us to help us get through the rest of the season.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22741 on: January 25, 2021, 11:48:58 am »
Which players are you thinking of KH? Do you have a list you could post?

Virgil, Hendo, Thiago, Salah, Firmino,Mane. Past it.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #22742 on: January 25, 2021, 11:50:08 am »
Just realised if we lose to Spurs we’ll be 5th, 2 points behind Spurs in 4th and will have played a game more. Potentially 6th actually if Everton win, 1 behind them and played TWO more than them.

This season is seriously hanging in the balance right now. How on earth are they not signing a CB?

We really need a result against Spurs.

The fact Arsenal/Chelsea are close to us ... this could be a real top 4 scrap ffs. We were comfortably top a month ago for god sake.

Can’t even rule out Villa with their 2 games in hand.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22743 on: January 25, 2021, 11:50:20 am »
Klopp's spoken as openly as he ever has to date on that subject.

Yes, but only in response to direct questions. It's not like it was a random unprovoked outburst. Some have pointed out that he could have been more cagey in his answers, as he has been before, which is a fair point, but I think the fact he wasn't is more a sign that he's fed up with the line of questioning than a sign that he's falling out with the owners.

So yeah - for me, do things for the manager that he thinks are ideal, especially when he's performed minor miracles to date. And doubly so when the decisions that no money can be spent aren't applied elsewhere, no matter how small the fee might be in comparative terms. We've signed two high profile kids since the window opened as I understand it. If there's a business case for that, I'm at a loss to understand why they can't see the one for the senior squad being reinforced, even in a rudimentary short term way, given the prize money and knock on impacts at stake.

I totally get this. And I'm just as frustrated and disappointed with this situation as you are. Honest, I am. But like I said before, in the absence of facts, it comes down to how far you trust that the owners have good reasons for their decisions. And for now I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt.

And I imagine that despite the current situation Klopp is still happier to be at Liverpool than, say, Chelsea - where he could spend to his heart's content but would know that even winning trophies is no guarantee of keeping his job. There's a reason he turned down United, after all.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:52:32 am by smutchin »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22744 on: January 25, 2021, 11:53:28 am »
FSG have been good owners but Klopp has been a better manager and they’d well to remember that at all times. If money is so tight we cannot do anything right now we should be panicking a bit because that’s a terrible sign. If they believe taking on a transfer fee and contract is more risky than missing out on CL football we must be absolutely skint.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:55:08 am by Gerry Attrick »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22745 on: January 25, 2021, 11:57:39 am »
FSG have been good owners but Klopp has been a better manager and they’d well to remember that at all times. If money is so tight we cannot do anything right now we should be panicking a bit because that’s a terrible sign. If they believe taking on a transfer fee and contract is more risky than missing out on CL football we must be absolutely skint.

I think the opinions of some people on here about wage bill could be right. Lets not forget that we are making our way to the top table, our revenues havent been at a super high level for years.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22746 on: January 25, 2021, 12:00:11 pm »
Yes, but only in response to direct questions. It's not like it was a random unprovoked outburst. Some have pointed out that he could have been more cagey in his answers, as he has been before, which is a fair point, but I think the fact he wasn't is more a sign that he's fed up with the line of questioning than a sign that he's falling out with the owners.

I don't think he falls out with anyone as a rule. He gets on with it. But when it comes to a time when you ask yourself when you can be bothered with more of something, you remember these moments. That's a truism (in my opinion). He's answered the question directly, and revealed more than he has before. We know what's gone on.

I totally get this. And I'm just as frustrated and disappointed with this situation as you are. Honest, I am. But like I said before, in the absence of facts, it comes down to how far you trust that the owners have good reasons for their decisions. And for now I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt.

We do have facts, unless you think Klopp's making things up.

I like the owners just fine, but they do have a track record of making as many mistakes along the way as they do good decisions. We always see them portrayed as clever - Melissa Reddy trots out article after article telling us how joined up the thinking is. But this does not compute.

Having belief in the owners' good faith doesn't suddenly exempt them from criticism. This is the one thing that they need not to make mistakes with. If they were as clever as they make out, they'd have fixed this in October/November the way the manager suggested. Ergo, they're being thick.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22747 on: January 25, 2021, 12:00:22 pm »
One thing I think FSG could definitely do better right now is to communicate with the fans.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #22748 on: January 25, 2021, 12:02:02 pm »
One thing I think FSG could definitely do better right now is to communicate with the fans.

Definitely, but this isn't something they should be communicating with fans about.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22749 on: January 25, 2021, 12:03:22 pm »
No issues at all with the self sustainable model FSG have implemented. It’s how most clubs operate. And we have top 10 revenue in the world that was due to be the higher in the country in 19/20. Even higher than United’s was the Deloitte prediction. FSG have done some things wrong, it’s why they’ve issued as many public apologies as they have trophies wins in their tenure. I think the time it’s taken them to sort the stadium is ridiculous and they are seriously getting away with that. However, for the most part, I’ve been on their side. I think they are about as good a bunch of owners you could expect to be honest. They don’t do anything mental, and that’s all you ask. I’ve never supported the criticism of them about not investing their own money because why should they in normal times. The club should be self sustainable.

However this months refusal to step in and provide cash from their own resources is outrageous. This is NOT normal times. Their usual model is not possible. This club has a crisis at CB which is threatening to implode our season. They should be stepping in and helping the team and helping the manager who has earned their support. If now is not the time, then will be? Or are we to just accept that they never have any responsibility to this club and team and their only job is to sit back and do the bare minimum of not taking money out of the club until they inevitably sell and makes BILLIONS on their investment?

£20m, John Henry. That’s all it would take. About a quarter the cost of one of your yachts.

Out of interest, who is this centre back we can get for £20m? You keep posting it, so I assume you know. You don't have to share your source.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22750 on: January 25, 2021, 12:04:19 pm »

Linda is on here. Some say "Craig" is linda but he's got bigger tits, so that rumour isn't true but SOMEONE here is Linda.

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22751 on: January 25, 2021, 12:04:38 pm »
FSG have been good owners but Klopp has been a better manager and they’d well to remember that at all times. If money is so tight we cannot do anything right now we should be panicking a bit because that’s a terrible sign.
We have made profits over the past few years
Reached two champions league finals
Win a league and finished runners up so I fail to see how money is soo dames tight that we can’t purchase a centre half to keep us in the hunt for. Top 4 place.
Klopp isn’t throwing toys out of the pram but it’s ok obvious that he is annoyed.
If we don’t get top 4 and genuinely at this stage I think us getting top 4 isn’t a given then the summer spend will drastically reduce.
A centre half gives us a chance of going deeper in the champions league ( sorry but Rhys isn’t up to this level) which could potentially pay for the investment in him

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22752 on: January 25, 2021, 12:10:23 pm »

Make of that what you will folks. You can argue whatever you like, but if you're me, it looks like:

- the manager thinks a centre half would help - 100 percent
- the manager has 'talked about' that solution with unnamed people
- a decision has been taken somewhere saying that no money can be spent
- the manager doesn't think that's ideal
- the manager is getting on with it regardless.

I think this is a good overview - but the 'no money' bit hasn't come from Klopp directly, and I'm not sure think it's a valid reading of his quotes. It's certainly what Maddock ran with. Has he got some additional info to back that up? It's possible, but on the quotes alone I just don't think you can say that absolutely no money is available.

If FSG had said there's no money to be spent, then I don't think you see signings like Kaide Gordon. That deal suggests (to me anyway) that there are funds available, they're just restricted. Now, if the problem is that we have a target in mind who'll be £25m and FSG aren't willing to sanction going over £10-15m or whatever, then they still deserve criticism. But the idea that Klopp has gone cap in hand (perhaps literally!) for a couple of million to get a loan deal done and been rebuffed just doesn't ring true for me. Again, nothing but speculation but that's my read on the situation. 

I reckon it's also possible that Klopp and Edwards have been told that if they want additional funds, they should sort deals for the likes of Origi and Shaqiri which isn't totally unreasonable IMO.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22753 on: January 25, 2021, 12:11:56 pm »
Out of interest, who is this centre back we can get for £20m? You keep posting it, so I assume you know. You don't have to share your source.

There are any number of centre halves that could be signed for £20m, full stop. If you're 'clever', there are better short term deals than that. For example, Saliba was available on loan. So let's take it as read.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22754 on: January 25, 2021, 12:12:35 pm »
Having belief in the owners' good faith doesn't suddenly exempt them from criticism.

Agreed. And yes, they've definitely made mistakes before. I may not entirely agree with your feelings on this situation, but I'm not that far off. I was going to respond to your other points but I haven't got anything new to add so I'll leave it there to avoid going round in circles.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #22755 on: January 25, 2021, 12:13:50 pm »

No you’re right. There are no CBs in world football who the club could sign for £20m.

I mean they got Gomez, Matip, Robertson, Tsimikas for a combined £20m essentially but yeah, they wouldn’t be able to find anyone at CB for £20m.
Champions

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22756 on: January 25, 2021, 12:14:10 pm »
I think the question needs to be asked why we're spending a million and up to 3 million for a 16 year old kid when that money can be used as a loan fee for a fuckin' Central Defender?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22757 on: January 25, 2021, 12:15:10 pm »
I think the question needs to be asked why we're spending a million and up to 3 million for a 16 year old kid when that money can be used as a loan fee for a fuckin' Central Defender?

Is he costing £3m?

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22758 on: January 25, 2021, 12:15:34 pm »
I think this is a good overview - but the 'no money' bit hasn't come from Klopp directly, and I'm not sure think it's a valid reading of his quotes. It's certainly what Maddock ran with. Has he got some additional info to back that up? It's possible, but on the quotes alone I just don't think you can say that absolutely no money is available.

If FSG had said there's no money to be spent, then I don't think you see signings like Kaide Gordon. That deal suggests (to me anyway) that there are funds available, they're just restricted. Now, if the problem is that we have a target in mind who'll be £25m and FSG aren't willing to sanction going over £10-15m or whatever, then they still deserve criticism. But the idea that Klopp has gone cap in hand (perhaps literally!) for a couple of million to get a loan deal done and been rebuffed just doesn't ring true for me. Again, nothing but speculation but that's my read on the situation. 

I reckon it's also possible that Klopp and Edwards have been told that if they want additional funds, they should sort deals for the likes of Origi and Shaqiri which isn't totally unreasonable IMO.

I've posted the quotes direct from Klopp's mouth in the press conference. I could post the official club link to that audio if you prefer - Maddock doesn't really come into it. There's no spin.

The actual words on 'no money' are as follows:
“But I cannot spend the money. I don’t make these decisions. There are people who are responsible for the whole thing, and I cannot make their decisions.”

So if there's money, Klopp, in the context he used those words in, is saying he can't spend it on a centre half. As you say, you're speculating. These are actual words that the manager said.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22759 on: January 25, 2021, 12:16:22 pm »
Is he costing £3m?

1 million rising to 3.