Author Topic: The Arcade Fire  (Read 70918 times)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Re: The Arcade Fire
« Reply #720 on: March 15, 2022, 03:54:33 pm »
Looks like new music is very soon

New song debuting (The Lightning I, II) on Thursday. They've played a couple of shows in support of Ukraine in the last couple of days. Played Age of Anxiety, Rabbit Hole, Generation A. Might all be on the new album?

Very excited. I enjoyed Everything Now but it was some way off the quality of their previous albums. Hoping this is a return to form.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #721 on: March 16, 2022, 02:20:31 pm »
Used to love these but I got burned out by them. Saw them six times live. Couldn't shake the feeling you can't "mean" every single performance (they've done Rebellion as often as Radiohead have done Fake Plastic Trees) but being reasonable that's a question for all musicians

Open to new stuff, last one I liked was the Suburbs. I'm in my 30s now though so the old style of their lyrics like Come On Kids! don't really hit the mark for me anymore

Shrug. Open to good new music. Not exactly sure what I want from them though

- loved the old sound but I'm tired of it
- didn't like the last one as it wasn't the old sound!

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #722 on: March 17, 2022, 06:35:21 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qJiALpiqpk8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qJiALpiqpk8</a>

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #723 on: March 17, 2022, 07:15:12 pm »
Loving that.
AHA!

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: March 18, 2022, 07:03:35 am »
I think it's average, at best. The first part is a bit too Coldplay for me, the second part is too messy, there's no groove, it's too straight.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: March 19, 2022, 08:47:36 am »
Hmm, produced by Nigel Godrich

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #726 on: March 19, 2022, 10:21:05 pm »
@Butlerwills  (Will Butler)
Hi friends—
I’ve left Arcade Fire

I left at the end of last year, after the new record was complete. There was no acute reason beyond that I’ve changed—and the band has changed—over the last almost 20 years. Time for new things.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #727 on: March 19, 2022, 11:23:02 pm »
@Butlerwills 
Hi friends—
I’ve left Arcade Fire

I left at the end of last year, after the new record was complete. There was no acute reason beyond that I’ve changed—and the band has changed—over the last almost 20 years. Time for new things.
Wow!!!  :o
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: March 20, 2022, 11:55:04 am »
New album WE to be released 6 May. Excellent.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: March 20, 2022, 04:00:13 pm »
Some great videos of them playing a show in New York.

Would love them to play smaller venues when they next tour the UK. My favourite time seeing them was in the Empress Ballroom in Blackpool. Just not the Victoria Warehouse.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #730 on: March 21, 2022, 09:26:53 am »
@Butlerwills  (Will Butler)
Hi friends—
I’ve left Arcade Fire

Very sad to see him go as he was a fantastic, energetic part of the band's live performances but it looks as though he was struggling with the prospect of performing gigs again. His Atlantic article is an interesting read (https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/04/world-changed-what-makes-live-show-successful-didnt-arcade-fire/618625). He worked on the album, maybe he just didn't want to tour again.

Some great videos of them playing a show in New York.

Would love them to play smaller venues when they next tour the UK. My favourite time seeing them was in the Empress Ballroom in Blackpool. Just not the Victoria Warehouse.

Would love that too - saw them at the Roundhouse in Camden when they were playing as "The Reflektors" for a couple of nights and it was great.

But they almost certainly won't, and it would be an absolute nightmare to get tickets for. Hoping to see them anywhere when they tour here again, can't help but Will leaving might be the beginning of the end in terms of them going off and doing different things.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 09:29:43 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: March 21, 2022, 12:45:16 pm »

Would love that too - saw them at the Roundhouse in Camden when they were playing as "The Reflektors" for a couple of nights and it was great.

But they almost certainly won't, and it would be an absolute nightmare to get tickets for. Hoping to see them anywhere when they tour here again, can't help but Will leaving might be the beginning of the end in terms of them going off and doing different things.

Yeah they were The Reflektors when I saw them in Blackpool.

I remember the first time I saw them at Leeds Festival mid-2000s on the Nme/Radio 1 stage. So much movement on stage from Will and  Co.

Since then barring Blackpool its been festival main stages and Manchester Arena. Closest to a 'small' venue on their last tour was the castlefield bowl.

Think if its affordable when they next tour the UK I might try and get to multiple gigs as it could be the last chance.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #732 on: March 21, 2022, 12:58:55 pm »
Since then barring Blackpool its been festival main stages and Manchester Arena. Closest to a 'small' venue on their last tour was the castlefield bowl.

Think if its affordable when they next tour the UK I might try and get to multiple gigs as it could be the last chance.

Enjoyed that Castlefield Bowl gig, was a nice venue for them!

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: April 20, 2022, 08:57:13 pm »
Playing Koko in London next Friday, then the album out a week later.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: April 21, 2022, 08:08:00 am »
Had Funeral on in the car yesterday. Still holds up, flawless album.

Hope to see them this tour.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: April 29, 2022, 08:39:28 pm »
Enjoyed the new single.

The Koko gig tonight is being streamed live on the amazon music UK twitch account from 9pm.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: May 5, 2022, 10:59:52 am »
Anybody listened to the new album yet? I haven't but it seems to be reviewing well.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: May 5, 2022, 12:16:03 pm »
Anybody listened to the new album yet? I haven't but it seems to be reviewing well.

Didn't think it was officially released until tomorrow ?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: May 5, 2022, 12:29:53 pm »
Didn't think it was officially released until tomorrow ?

Fucking hell you are only right sir  ;D

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: May 10, 2022, 06:29:05 pm »
Really like the new album, more than I thought I'd would.

Tickets on presale tomorrow for the UK gigs, anyone ever been to the Birmingham Utilitia Arena? Any good?
Don't want to see them in London, the O2 is just too big, Manchester too far as I'll be driving from Cornwall.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #740 on: May 11, 2022, 10:12:41 am »
Really like the new album, more than I thought I'd would.

Tickets on presale tomorrow for the UK gigs, anyone ever been to the Birmingham Utilitia Arena? Any good?
Don't want to see them in London, the O2 is just too big, Manchester too far as I'll be driving from Cornwall.

Logged on for the presale today, £80 for a standing ticket :o . Love the band and had every intention of seeing them but can't justify over £150 for the two of us to go. Ridiculous.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: May 11, 2022, 04:00:13 pm »
Logged on for the presale today, £80 for a standing ticket :o . Love the band and had every intention of seeing them but can't justify over £150 for the two of us to go. Ridiculous.

Got 3 for Birmingham, they were around £70 each for standing, standard price these days isn't it? Diana Ross is playing at the Eden Protect this summer and tickets for that are over £100, mental (I may add I've zero interest in seeing Diana Ross singing, maybe I'd pay that to see her take a penalty)

Going with our 14 year old son, he's a fan and hasn't really been to a big gig like this before, so we're justifying it as a educational weekend away.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: May 11, 2022, 04:02:55 pm »
Got 3 for Birmingham, they were around £70 each for standing, standard price these days isn't it?

Ridiculous price.

I refuse to pay more than about £20 for a gig ticket, which is possible to see interesting smaller bands.

I get to see loads of bigger bands free at Glastonbury.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #743 on: May 11, 2022, 04:04:28 pm »
Doing a live set on Steve Lamacq's show during the next few hours.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: May 11, 2022, 04:11:13 pm »
Ridiculous price.

I refuse to pay more than about £20 for a gig ticket, which is possible to see interesting smaller bands.

Fully agree, it's fucking expensive, but that's the going rate. Just checked Ticketmaster out of curiousity and Lady Gaga is £85, and she's got a Poker Face.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: May 11, 2022, 04:12:39 pm »

Because you work there or get a local ticket?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: May 11, 2022, 04:17:04 pm »
Average

Come On Kids: The Arcade Fire Story

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #747 on: May 11, 2022, 04:32:04 pm »
Average

Come On Kids: The Arcade Fire Story

Is that a Boo Radleys reference?

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: May 11, 2022, 04:46:08 pm »
Because you work there or get a local ticket?

Work
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: May 13, 2022, 01:48:31 pm »
Forgot tickets were on sale and logged onto Ticketmaster late, luckily they had just announced a 2nd Dublin date so got sorted with standing tickets.

One of those bands you don't listen to for a while and then go back into the discography and fall in love all over again. Brilliant live too.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: August 28, 2022, 08:16:12 am »
Forgot tickets were on sale and logged onto Ticketmaster late, luckily they had just announced a 2nd Dublin date so got sorted with standing tickets.

One of those bands you don't listen to for a while and then go back into the discography and fall in love all over again. Brilliant live too.

And given the news released about Win, that’s one show I won’t be going to.

Piece of shit.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: August 28, 2022, 10:00:04 am »
https://pitchfork.com/news/arcade-fires-win-butler-accused-of-sexual-misconduct-by-multiple-women-frontman-responds/

Wow. Not really a fan these days but that's some graphic, disgusting accounts.

Can't say I'm impressed by the "apology" either. It goes out of its way to claim consent. I suppose that's the position he "has to" take (to him and his career I mean - I think he's a creep and I'll never listen again, fuck this dude, show some ownership, and as someone who has struggled with depression and alcohol, no, that's not an excuse either) but this article deep dives the claims and his replies and there's certainly a bigger case to answer.

Great piece from Pitchfork, worth a read. It's grim mind. Take that as a content warning
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 11:20:05 am by ToneLa »

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #752 on: August 28, 2022, 10:59:52 am »
Horrible fucking c*nt.

Funeral is, was, one of my favourite albums. I won't go near it again.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: August 28, 2022, 11:31:03 am »
I find it strange how comfortable he is in exposing himself digitally. I’m a nobody, of interest to no-one and the thought of using social media at all, let alone for soliciting extra marital sex with teens, fills me with unease and discomfort. I guess people don’t even think about it any longer.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: August 29, 2022, 12:22:39 am »
Absolutely disgusting behaviour made even worse by his response to it. What a prick.

I have tickets to see them on Tuesday. Not a hope of selling them so my wife has suggested we leave after Feist’s support slot.

The bit in his statement where he basically tells pitchfork to go and talk to all the other women he’s had extramarital sex with, as some sort of character reference was something else!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 12:24:47 am by thejbs »

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: August 29, 2022, 07:47:48 am »
I suppose you have to wonder if this is an underlying reason why his brother left the band.  Absolutely scummy behaviour.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: August 29, 2022, 10:35:12 am »
Was going to Birmingham on Friday night to see them, won't be going now.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: August 29, 2022, 10:49:24 am »
His wife’s part in the statement is weird aswell. I checked Reddit when the news broke and loads of comments from people saying this has been an open secret in his hometown or whatever for years.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: August 29, 2022, 11:56:37 am »
Was going to Birmingham on Friday night to see them, won't be going now.

I just don’t see how anyone can cheer them on having read that. I’m just disgusted they’re still getting my money. If they are continuing the tour and they have any decency left, they should offer refunds to those that want them. Shocking that the band have issued no statement- just pretending it didn’t happen.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: August 29, 2022, 12:53:59 pm »
I just don’t see how anyone can cheer them on having read that. I’m just disgusted they’re still getting my money. If they are continuing the tour and they have any decency left, they should offer refunds to those that want them. Shocking that the band have issued no statement- just pretending it didn’t happen.

I've read comments of people who have booked accom and travel but are on the fence now. The gig's are all going to be in big cities and there will be plenty of other things worthwhile doing on the same night. I'm going to spend the night of the gig watching us paste the Geordies instead.

To tell the truth, I haven't stopped thinking about it since yesterday, that Funeral album I listened to daily for about a year on the way to school, got me through a really tough time. The music never meant as much to me as it did back then but I can't seperate art from the artist, especially one who is going to use depression for such behaviour. Own up to it, don't hide behind 'oh ask all these other women I didn't sexually assault, they'll say I'm not a creep'.

Not only has he been outed as creep, he's a wimp now as well.