Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3449359 times)

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 9, 2005, 12:42:38 pm »
Just watched the Last Samurai. It puts the turgid back into Overblown Turgidity. There is a couple of hours of my life I will never get back again.....
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #121 on: November 9, 2005, 12:46:03 pm »
Anyone seen the 40 year old virgin? Is it any good?

Thought that was good fun and real funny in places with some of the quotes.

Love the comedy stuff the Yanks are churning out at the moment. Will Ferrell et al are quality.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #122 on: November 9, 2005, 03:18:02 pm »
Samuel L. sure has had a fair few cameos hasn't he?! Makes a brief appearence in Do the Right Thing, which is a very good film and well worth a watch if you've not already.

also in goodfellas which i didnt know until about two months ago :duh
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #123 on: November 9, 2005, 03:26:04 pm »

Oh yeah, I didn't realise that either until about the fifth watch! That succession of scenes after the airport heist is brutal - fella in the freezer truck :(
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: November 9, 2005, 04:58:30 pm »

He's in Goodfellas? I can't believe I've seen that film so many times and not noticed.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #125 on: November 9, 2005, 04:59:06 pm »
He's in Goodfellas? I can't believe I've seen that film so many times and not noticed.

Stacks Edwards, the stick-up man executed by Joe Pesci in his bedsit.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: November 9, 2005, 05:02:42 pm »
Bloody hell, he used to be a twig.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2005, 10:44:09 am »
Ripleys Game: not bad, not bad at all.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2005, 12:41:10 pm »
Oh lordy, just been sorting out details for a Star Wars marathon with a fellow 'Wars obsessive  ::). Six films in one day, plenty of chips 'n' dips and a vat of caffine for the lulls. Actually looking forward to seeing how the entire saga fits when viewed in succession, although the jump in class between the prequels and originals could be painful.

Back to current films, is anyone going to see or seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? Not a movie version of Max & Paddy, but a return to cinema for Lethal Weapon writer Shane Black (and his directorial debut). It's been getting great reviews, but I thought the trailer looked a little bit 'zany'  ???

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2005, 01:02:18 pm »
Looks a bit Sawesque, but still quite intriguing... http://www.hostelfilm.com/

It's by Eli Roth, who directed Cabin Fever and Quintin Tarantino's had a hand in making it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 01:10:32 pm by Ben_JP »

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2005, 01:18:57 pm »

Back to current films, is anyone going to see or seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? Not a movie version of Max & Paddy, but a return to cinema for Lethal Weapon writer Shane Black (and his directorial debut). It's been getting great reviews, but I thought the trailer looked a little bit 'zany'  ???

Rather put off by the trailer- and by that 'zaniness'. Kilmer and Downey can both do quality work but if they are going to be whacky funsters and gurn their way through their whole range of tics I'll be avoiding it. If Black is going to write a script which calls for mugging a la 'LW', I'll be going the opposite way.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2005, 01:35:27 pm »
Rather put off by the trailer- and by that 'zaniness'. Kilmer and Downey can both do quality work but if they are going to be whacky funsters and gurn their way through their whole range of tics I'll be avoiding it. If Black is going to write a script which calls for mugging a la 'LW', I'll be going the opposite way.

I read a review and thought, 'great, I'll see that', but, yep, the trailer has put me off, just can't handle heavy-handed 'madcapness'. Bit of a dearth of films at the moment though; the lull before all the big Christmas releases (roll on King Kong!)

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2005, 01:49:08 pm »
Secretary: not bad. Not bad at all.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2005, 02:09:25 pm »
I read a review and thought, 'great, I'll see that', but, yep, the trailer has put me off, just can't handle heavy-handed 'madcapness'. Bit of a dearth of films at the moment though; the lull before all the big Christmas releases (roll on King Kong!)

Pretty much pinning my hopes on this being decent  :wave

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2005, 02:25:09 pm »
Pretty much pinning my hopes on this being decent  :wave

First time I've seen the trailer - didn't realise it was going to be such an epic adaptation! Looks really good, love the eerie feel of the opening half of the trailer. Going to be a good festive season for popcorn sellers!

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2005, 03:27:44 pm »
I bloody well hope so, it should in theory compete with the Lord of the Rings. I loved reading the books as a little kid so I'll be disappointed if it's not equally as well adapted as LotR.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2005, 01:47:08 am »
Elizabethtown. Saw it about a week ago. anyone else ?

Quirky romance in a same-but-different way. Half decent soundtrack. First 5 mins too flat, with a somewhat unbelievable premise (how does one fucking training shoe design lose a billion ?) and last 20 mins a bit schmaltzy, but apart from that a nice original well acted film with Orlando Bloom having an easy ride as a character a lot of us could play, a deadpan role, a kind of emotional cripple, too wrapped up in himself to start really living life....

As you can see I can relate. And boy does Kirsten Dunst remind of someone. Someone great.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 01:55:42 am by nige »

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2005, 02:53:17 am »
Hotel Rwanda, true story of the Hutu and Tutsi clash in the mid 90's. Hard hitting but factual.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline james_f

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2005, 11:03:40 pm »

Went to see this tonight.  Really enjoyed it and some really witty, funny moments.  Hard to follow sometimes, but all sorts itself out in the end.  Dead funny tho, i'd reccomend goin to see it.  Best film i've seen at cinema since the awesome Sin City.

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2005, 01:59:58 am »
Went to see this tonight.  Really enjoyed it and some really witty, funny moments.  Hard to follow sometimes, but all sorts itself out in the end.  Dead funny tho, i'd reccomend goin to see it.  Best film i've seen at cinema since the awesome Sin City.

i've heard sin city is very stylish but shite
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 02:29:15 am by The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society »
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2005, 02:25:41 am »
Interested in seeing "Walk the Line" sometime this week, hopefully it will be pretty good...

Heard Johhny had a big say in the writing of it...

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2005, 02:28:37 am »
Gotta recommend a film.

Its called Cube and I can just remember it being very low budget, but it was one of the best films Ive ever watched!

Anyone seen it?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2005, 02:32:10 am »
Gotta recommend a film.

Its called Cube and I can just remember it being very low budget, but it was one of the best films Ive ever watched!

Anyone seen it?

i wouldn't go that far but it is a good, and very original film. there's also a cube 2 and cube zero that i've yet to see.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2005, 02:33:06 am »
i wouldn't go that far but it is a good, and very original film. there's also a cube 2 and cube zero that i've yet to see.

Think I saw cube 2, definately wasn't as good as the first one. But perhaps it was the originality of the film that struct me alongside the unpredictability...

Bond films always end the same, I was always guessing and always thinking with that film.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2005, 09:52:00 am »
Did your Grandma tell you that?

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2005, 12:26:42 pm »

I'll put this politely.

You were misinformed.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2005, 01:27:06 pm »
Watched Million Dollar Baby on DVD last night  - very, very good. Quite slow moving to start with and the story line starts fairly predictably (I was worried for a bit that it would turn into Ms. Rocky) but as the story develops it deepens and the second half is incredibly moving.

Hilary Swank is superb and totally believable as Maggie. Clint Eastwood is Clint Eastwood to a tee and Morgan Freeman does the storyteller role in a similar way to Shawshanks.

Definitely worth watching.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2005, 01:38:30 pm »

Cool - I should get to see it this week. Several people have said it's good, just have to avoid the trailer till I go.

Did a Star Wars Marathon yesterday - all six films back-to-back! Geeked out on the Force and pied-up with junk food. Watching them together, they are nicely balanced and flow into each other well, even with the obvious SFX differences. Liking Revenge of the Sith even more now, but Attack of the Clones really drags, definitely gets my vote for the weakest of the six. Good way to spend a lazy Sunday.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2005, 02:47:31 pm »
I'll put this politely.

You were misinformed.

so does that mean it's not stylish or it's not shite?

Offline james_f

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2005, 11:18:28 pm »
it's not shite

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2005, 04:46:07 pm »
Quiz Show is a good watch, directed by Robert Redford.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
« Reply #151 on: December 3, 2005, 11:55:49 am »
I fancy getting some decent DVD films for Christmas, looking for some of what you'd class as all-time classics. Doesn't really matter what style, but something with a bit of meaning to it would be class...no chick flicks, teen movies.. that type of crap y'see. Stuff like 'The Shawshank Redemption'. Was looking to get about 10, so already looking at the likes of Taxi Driver, Trainspotting etc etc. But some other recommendations as to what to get would be class. Cheers!
......and could he play!

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: December 3, 2005, 12:28:44 pm »
The Usual Suspects? Goodfellas? Donnie Darko? Snatch?

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #153 on: December 3, 2005, 04:01:47 pm »
The Usual Suspects? Goodfellas? Donnie Darko? Snatch?

Yes, yes, yes , and are you shitting me?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #154 on: December 3, 2005, 04:18:36 pm »
I fancy getting some decent DVD films for Christmas, looking for some of what you'd class as all-time classics. Doesn't really matter what style, but something with a bit of meaning to it would be class...no chick flicks, teen movies.. that type of crap y'see. Stuff like 'The Shawshank Redemption'. Was looking to get about 10, so already looking at the likes of Taxi Driver, Trainspotting etc etc. But some other recommendations as to what to get would be class. Cheers!

network, the odd couple, the last detail, the wickerman, chinatown, its a wonderful life (although it'll probably on around chrimbo anyway), the jerk (funniest film ever - well maybe life of brian tops it, dunno), the music of chance.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2005, 04:23:16 pm by The Bhudda Bubba Appreciation Society »

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: December 3, 2005, 05:30:38 pm »
Yes, yes, yes , and are you shitting me?

What's wrong with Snatch? If I want some mindless laughs, it's something to bung on without having to descend into Mr Bean territory.

Oh and I forgot to add Requiem for a Dream and Pi. Watch Pi first though.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #156 on: December 3, 2005, 06:34:00 pm »
What's wrong with Snatch? If I want some mindless laughs, it's something to bung on without having to descend into Mr Bean territory.

Oh and I forgot to add Requiem for a Dream and Pi. Watch Pi first though.

The clue was in the question  ;)

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 3, 2005, 06:51:55 pm »
The clue was in the question  ;)

I'm not sure if the punchline involves shitting on c*nts.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #158 on: December 5, 2005, 06:01:02 am »
I finally watched "City of God" (Cidade de Deus).  Very good movie by Fernando Meirelles (many may know him as the director of The Constant Gardner).

Since I don't understand Portuguese (but realised that Portuguese Creole, which they speak in the movie and in many parts of Brasil is actually pretty close to the creole I speak), I have never seen any Brazilian movies before.  I tend not to watch many movies that are in languages I don't understand to be honest.

In any case, it is a 2002 movie, based on the real events during the childhood of a photographer, 'Rocket', depicting the terrible era of gang warfare in the ghettoes of Rio.  This one is not for the faint hearted.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2005, 06:03:01 am by Vinay »

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #159 on: December 5, 2005, 08:44:24 am »
I tend not to watch many movies that are in languages I don't understand to be honest.

You are missing some of the best stuff around  :o